Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overtaking cars travelling in same direction

Options
  • 01-12-2019 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

I clearly saw a cyclist in my mirror and I watched as I indicated ahead of him to show I wanted to pull in .. I slowly pulled towards the kerb watching him I had expected him when he neared me to signal and overtake me but instead he flew up along the inside of me ... on the ( my) left ....
    what is the law as regards cyclist over or indeed under taking cars ? Any link to the relevant road traffic regs would be appreciated

Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I clearly saw a cyclist in my mirror and I watched as I indicated ahead of him to show I wanted to pull in .. I slowly pulled towards the kerb watching him I had expected him when he neared me to signal and overtake me but instead he flew up along the inside of me ... on the ( my) left ....
    what is the law as regards cyclist over or indeed under taking cars ? Any link to the relevant road traffic regs would be appreciated

Paddy

They are allowed pass on the inside. However common sense and self preservation should kick in and one shouldn’t pass on the inside of a turning car. However one shouldn’t pull in if they see a cyclist and it’s hard to tell whose at fault here. If you were ahead of the cyclist, indicated and slowed/stopped the cyclist may have interpreted this as you allowing him to pass before you complete your turn.

How far behind you was he ? Would letting him pass , have caused you much of a delay ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

ted1 wrote: »
    They are allowed pass on the inside. However common sense and self preservation should kick in and one shouldn’t pass on the inside of a turning car. However one shouldn’t pull in if they see a cyclist and it’s hard to tell whose at fault here. If you were ahead of the cyclist, indicated and slowed/stopped the cyclist may have interpreted this as you allowing him to pass before you complete your turn.

How far behind you was he ? Would letting him pass , have caused you much of a delay ?

I was actually on a straight road and I wanted to pull in to the kerb to let a person out of the car. I wasn’t turning. I had this cyclist in my rear view mirror and he was some distance behind ... I had thought that , on him seeing my signalling into the left ... in good clear time ... that he would have overtaken me ... safely .. as that’s why I indicated in plenty of time ..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2012/si/332/made/en/print
    (b) A pedal cyclist may overtake on the left where vehicles to the pedal cyclist’s right are stationary or are moving more slowly than the overtaking pedal cycle, except where the vehicle to be overtaken—

(i) has signalled an intention to turn to the left and there is a reasonable expectation that the vehicle in which the driver has signalled an intention to turn to the left will execute a movement to the left before the cycle overtakes the vehicle,

(ii) is stationary for the purposes of permitting a passenger or passengers to alight or board the vehicle, or

(iii) is stationary for the purposes of loading or unloading.”,

Irish Cycling Legislation thread.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

How far from the kerb were you?
    Logic would suggest that you would have pulled in close to the kerb to let your passenger out but then there'd be no room for the cyclist to pass.
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Paddy

Not all cyclists people on bikes are smart.

The law states a cyclist can't pass a vehicle on the left if it's indicating left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

S.I. No. 332/2012 - Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) (Amendment) (No. 2) Regulations 2012. States that

(b) A pedal cyclist may overtake on the left where vehicles to the pedal cyclist’s right are stationary or are moving more slowly than the overtaking pedal cycle, except where the vehicle to be overtaken—

(i) has signalled an intention to turn to the left and there is a reasonable expectation that the vehicle in which the driver has signalled an intention to turn to the left will execute a movement to the left before the cycle overtakes the vehicle,

So in this case the cyclist was in the wrong. They shouldn't have passed on the inside. I cycle myself and I never pass on the inside when a car has signalled to turn. It's an easy way to get cleaned off the bike.

In future I would recommend using your horn to indicate to the cyclist the danger that they had put themselves in.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,401 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Double check your indicator working... does seem like a strange move by the cyclist.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

How far from the kerb were you?
    Logic would suggest that you would have pulled in close to the kerb to let your passenger out but then there'd be no room for the cyclist to pass.
    :confused:

Ya thanks for that I had very clearly indicated in good time that I was pulling in to the kerb ..I had a good view of him in my rear view mirror prior to pulling towards the kerb as I was conscious of his presence there ... as I pulled in to the pavement he came up along my left ... I would have been close to the pavement ok ... he got by ... my query was if the cyclist sees an indication to pull in left in good time and the car manoeuvre in the direction as indicated ... as I was ... what is the legislation regarding the cyclists then ? From reading here I think he is supposed to overtake in these circumstances ... thanks for the replies ...

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Double check your indicator working... does seem like a strange move by the cyclist.

Indicator works perfectly fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

The cyclist must give way to you.

But why are you overtaking him when you know you're cutting him off?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Ya thanks for that I had very clearly indicated in good time that I was pulling in to the kerb ..I had a good view of him in my rear view mirror prior to pulling towards the kerb as I was conscious of his presence there ... as I pulled in to the pavement he came up along my left ... I would have been close to the pavement ok ... he got by ... my query was if the cyclist sees an indication to pull in left in good time and the car manoeuvre in the direction as indicated ... as I was ... what is the legislation regarding the cyclists then ? From reading here I think he is supposed to overtake in these circumstances ... thanks for the replies ...
    How fast were they cycling?
    Or did you pull in just in front of them (it sounds like this!)?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

donvito99 wrote: »
    The cyclist must give way to you.

They didn't, they were aware of their presence and noticed them coming up on them but still a distance away.... That's what I get from it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

They didn't, they were aware of their presence and noticed them coming up on them but still a distance away.... That's what I get from it anyway.

On second reading it does appear that there was no overtake as it were.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

donvito99 wrote: »
    at no point did the OP mention being behind the cyclist, unless i've missed something?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

at no point did the OP mention being behind the cyclist, unless i've missed something?

I think it’s the title thats causing confusion

How fast were they cycling?
    Or did you pull in just in front of them (it sounds like this!)?

Read it again. Profffer an intelligent reply or ignore perhaps thanks.

Mod note: attack the post not the poster. Personal attacks are not tolerated in this forum. Any questions PM me do not respond in thread.
    eeeee

I do see this a lot to be honest especially on junctions where cars have been waiting at reds or coming up to turn and cyclists burst their way up to pass as they are in the middle of turning or trying to.

As a bus driver it's only gotten worse and it's extremely difficult for us to navigate the city.

I've had all sorts and many put themselves at risk.

I give room, I don't overtake if I'm going to be pulling in again, I leave the cyclist all the space in the world but so many take such stupid risks it's actually worrying and puts an extremely big amount of stress on others and me.

If a vehicle is indicating then take heed and stay clear and especially when it's a large vehicle and also be aware of the black spots or blind spots.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Regardless of the law... always give a cyclist a thumbs up 👍 when they overtake you.

https://youtu.be/Jwr3FVc1YfU

I was actually on a straight road and I wanted to pull in to the kerb to let a person out of the car. I wasn’t turning. I had this cyclist in my rear view mirror and he was some distance behind ... I had thought that , on him seeing my signalling into the left ... in good clear time ... that he would have overtaken me ... safely .. as that’s why I indicated in plenty of time ..

That's exactly what the cyclist should have done.

I wouldn't even mind if they over took me to pull in as long as it was far enough ahead to give me time to check and move out. Used to boil my piss when I lived in Dublin to have a bus pass me and pull in at a stop 20 meters ahead.

punisher5112 sound like a fella I used to meet near the milltown luas stop who'd happily sit behind you and let you pass the stop before pulling in.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't even mind if they over took me to pull in as long as it was far enough ahead to give me time to check and move out. Used to boil my piss when I lived in Dublin to have a bus pass me and pull in at a stop 20 meters ahead.

punisher5112 sound like a fella I used to meet near the milltown luas stop who'd happily sit behind you and let you pass the stop before pulling in.

Quite possible, I treat people as I would like to be....

I cycle, motorcycle etc so understand all sides in a way you could say.

I hear you on the ones that pass then pull in...

I will do this but what happens is the person wanting off pressed the bell late but I'll indicate and wait for the cyclist to continue. I will wait and let them by without pulling in and pinching to kerb.

I've seen it all and it is bad at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

As a bus driver it's only gotten worse....

I give room, I don't overtake if I'm going to be pulling in again, I leave the cyclist all the space in the world but so many take such stupid risks it's actually worrying and puts an extremely big amount of stress on others and me.

If a vehicle is indicating then take heed and stay clear and especially when it's a large vehicle and also be aware of the black spots or blind spots.....

Firstly thank you for respecting cyclists and making the city better. Unfortunately there are a large number of idiot road users in Ireland. As such a bus respecting cyclists to the level you suggest is VERY rare. Also tere will always be stupid cyclists so we are pretty much stuck with the situation until they are segregated.
    Do you cycle? Have you ever sat at the exhaust of a bus, you'd be keen to get the hell out of there. Have you seen how most country and airport busses drive, it's insane and the one thing I can tell you is the stress is pretty high and preventing people cycling!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Read it again. Profffer an intelligent reply or ignore perhaps thanks.

No need for that comment. A question was asked. Many cyclists on here have been overtaken by a vehicle only for it to stop or turn left almost immediately. On a cycling forum, its a reasonable and intelligent question to ask.
    In this case it seems not the case. But, it happens a lot, and its as wrong as what happened to you.

work wrote: »
    Firstly thank you for respecting cyclists and making the city better. Unfortunately there are a large number of idiot road users in Ireland. As such a bus respecting cyclists to the level you suggest is VERY rare. Also tere will always be stupid cyclists so we are pretty much stuck with the situation until they are segregated.
    Do you cycle? Have you ever sat at the exhaust of a bus, you'd be keen to get the hell out of there. Have you seen how most country and airport busses drive, it's insane and the one thing I can tell you is the stress is pretty high and preventing people cycling!

Yes I cycle, I see it all to be honest, I do cringe at times what I see from fello drivers but then I struggle to understand the real stupid places cyclists put themselves when up against trucks and buses.

Elderly drivers imo are the worst for close passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I see it happening all the time, particularly when the cyclist is in a cycle lane on the road, which may give the impression to the cyclist that they have right of way. Have asked about this specific situation before here but never got an answer.

plodder wrote: »
    I see it happening all the time, particularly when the cyclist is in a cycle lane on the road, which may give the impression to the cyclist that they have right of way. Have asked about this specific situation before here but never got an answer.

My understanding is that a cyclist must yield if a car ahead is indicating its intention to turn left.

Mind you, a driver must only turn “if safe to do so”, so it can be interpreted differently depending on your point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Is this a "cycling" issue or a driving issue?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'm confused, you were well ahead, indicating but you were not far enough ahead to actually pull in to the kerb before the cyclist got there?
    From your post it sounds like the cyclist was 500m back and you just waited for them, if true they probably seen you, wondered why you hadn't pulled over and then thought, must have the indicator on by accident from their previous turn. I would have went around on your right as I'd be worried you could do anything, but for many people, they assess the situation and think, jeez, I have been approaching this car for ages, there indicator is on but they haven't moved despite plenty of time and space to do so, so they probably won't. You didn't do anything wrong but your lack of progression would be concerning if the situation was as described.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I'm confused, you were well ahead, indicating but you were not far enough ahead to actually pull in to the kerb before the cyclist got there?
    From your post it sounds like the cyclist was 500m back and you just waited for them, if true they probably seen you, wondered why you hadn't pulled over and then thought, must have the indicator on by accident from their previous turn. I would have went around on your right as I'd be worried you could do anything, but for many people, they assess the situation and think, jeez, I have been approaching this car for ages, there indicator is on but they haven't moved despite plenty of time and space to do so, so they probably won't. You didn't do anything wrong but your lack of progression would be concerning if the situation was as described.

Interesting thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Interesting thanks

I am more asking for clarity, how far back was the cyclist when you started indicating? did you have time to pull in? if you did, why didn't you? There are several reasons what happened, may have happened. As a road user, you have to assess each situation depending on the details, of which there are not many. If, when you started indicating, there was a reasonable chance the cyclist would reach you before you had pulled over, then wait. If there was enough time for you to pull in and for them to see that, then they should give way to you (which they would have too, as you would be in the way). The fact that he was able to go up the inside of you before you finished pulling in, suggests he was closer than you thought. He is still a muppet for doing it, because he wouldn't know if you noticed him or not.

Advertisement