Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overtaking cars travelling in same direction

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I had one do exactly the same on me yesterday, except I was turning left into a street.

I find it is best to treat all other road users as idiots who can and probably will do the stupidest most dangerous thing in any given situation.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

CramCycle wrote: »
    I am more asking for clarity, how far back was the cyclist when you started indicating? did you have time to pull in? if you did, why didn't you? There are several reasons what happened, may have happened. As a road user, you have to assess each situation depending on the details, of which there are not many. If, when you started indicating, there was a reasonable chance the cyclist would reach you before you had pulled over, then wait. If there was enough time for you to pull in and for them to see that, then they should give way to you (which they would have too, as you would be in the way). The fact that he was able to go up the inside of you before you finished pulling in, suggests he was closer than you thought. He is still a muppet for doing it, because he wouldn't know if you noticed him or not.
    I tried asking something similar yesterday and received this: "Read it again. Profffer an intelligent reply or ignore perhaps thanks."
    I don't think we're supposed to question the events in this case. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

I tried asking something similar yesterday and received this: "Read it again. Profffer an intelligent reply or ignore perhaps thanks."

Thanks for all the replies. I was travelling ahead as I say ....I was going drop passenger to a building on the left side of the road ... also ... the cyclist was behind me ... I had clear view in mirror .. I cannot say exactly how far .behind ... . but with sufficient distance to firstly see ... indication ... and car travelling in the direction , as the indicator indicated .... to allow a safe overtake .... my query really was if a cyclist is behind a car , at such a distance ( as this was) and can see the drivers intention is to turn left , by indication and manoeuvre , ahead , what are the rules of the road relating to that specifically... I had expected to see him travel by me on my right but he went on my left ... there was room to pass ... I’m of the view now that he ought to have passed me on the right .. as I had initially thought.

Specifics about distances behind / to the side / how far from kerb , I appreciate ... the general circumstances are as stated... appreciate all replies
    Thanks
    P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Apology if I came across that way. Unintended I assure you. I have my answer now indeed. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

I had a similar scenario from the other POV a couple of years ago.

Cycling East towards the met office. Busy enough morning. Traffic slow. Car ahead indicating left. Goes past first left turn, continues past second left turn, then is stopped in traffic by red light. No other left turns immediately available. He had been indicating about 20+ seconds at this stage and had made no movement to pull in to the left and was stuck in traffic with about a 1m gap between himself and the kerb. So whilst I would almost always yield or go around cars indicating left this time I figured he'd forgotten he had it on or was planning on taking the next left.

As I go past, the passenger door swings open, just missing me. He beeps at me, and I turn around and ask him what the problem is. He tells me he was indicating, and I shouldn't have passed on his left. I politely reply that id been watching him and he had been indicating for nearly 30 seconds, and that he cant just stop in the middle of the road and let people out of his car without pulling in. He replied that next time he sees me he'll run me over - daughter (maybe even granddaughter) in school uniform in the next seat looking mortified the whole time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭d15ude

I'm both a cyclist and car driver.
    I find undertaking extremely dangerous. Surprised it's legal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as mentioned, it's not if the car in front has already indicated to turn left.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

d15ude wrote: »

Do you want cyclists to Queue in traffic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I saw someone this morning who had clearly recently been on a bike arguing with a driver who, from the little I heard, had been been in a bus lane moment earlier and I think collided with or gave a fright to a cyclist that had been passing on his inside when he turned left. Another cyclist was telling the first cyclist that he shouldn't have passed on the left, and it didn't matter that the driver had been in the bus lane illegally (or something like that). Nobody seemed to be hurt.

Anyway, it was a funny coincidence that I knew the legal situation because I'd read this thread the night before.

Obviously, I just walked away without saying anything.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I am confident and fast enough to overtake on the right in most scenarios on my commute. This normally leads to a barage of abuse from drivers who don't realise I am faster and generally better looking than them. Many cyclists are not, most motorists expect to see them overtaking on the left, hence why overtaking on the left is legal, and generally seen as safer, because convention teaches most that this is where they should expect to see cyclists.

All joking aside though, bar in rural areas, do you really think overtaking on the right is safer than the left for a cyclist?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

tbf, i've been in situations where i see a car up in front of me indicating, so i slow down, and the motorist in the car in front sees me so delays their left turn because they're worried i'll cut up the inside, and they slow down, so i slow down because of that, and they do too, and we end up sitting there stationary, aging, wondering how we got ourselves into this beckettian situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

tbf, i've been in situations where i see a car up in front of me indicating, so i slow down, and the motorist in the car in front sees me so delays their left turn because they're worried i'll cut up the inside, and they slow down, so i slow down because of that, and they do too, and we end up sitting there stationary, aging, wondering how we got ourselves into this beckettian situation.

Its the old adage of; Did you ever get yourself into a sh!tty situation by being a nice guy that you could have avoided by being a b@stard?

Not calling for more b@stards on the roads, obvs, but sometimes if you indicate you need to be assertive and commit to the manouvre.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Of course overtaking on the right (which I often do as it's safer in quite a few cases) is seen as "weaving".

Can't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

I was coming up to the junction at Camden Street and Aungier Street and a car was well ahead trying to turn left with a stream of cyclists coming from behind and passing on through, so I slowed as I came up and gave a wave for them to turn. It all went swimmingly, they turned within a couple of seconds, I went on through, and then got balled out of it by some wagon behind who cycled up alongside me to tell me that I should never do something like that again as the cyclist had right of way and it was dangerous to other cyclists. I sighed, nodded and left her for dust!!

Advertisement