Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone ebay

Options
  • 01-12-2019 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has bought a used iPhone off eBay.com. Was hoping to get an xs or better. Good few around $550 but am nervous about it. Anything to look out for?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Jcanty85 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has bought a used iPhone off eBay.com. Was hoping to get an xs or better. Good few around $550 but am nervous about it. Anything to look out for?
    Check out the shops closer to home. Some good deals around for refurbished phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Hi all,

Have you factored in shipping costs and VAT @23%

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Jcanty85

Will vat be applicable to second hand goods bought from an individual? Can't find anything locally that is within budget (€550)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭djdunny

You’re quoting dollars so I assume it will be shipped from the states. If this is correct then be advised of service options should your phone become faulty. Your phone can only be serviced in an Apple retail store (closest is Belfast).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Will vat be applicable to second hand goods bought from an individual? Can't find anything locally that is within budget (€550)

In a word yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Id get one from Adverts from a shop with 100% feedback and lots of buyers you wont go wrong..

I have gotten all my phones there and never ever had one issue

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

djdunny wrote: »
    You’re quoting dollars so I assume it will be shipped from the states. If this is correct then be advised of service options should your phone become faulty. Your phone can only be serviced in an Apple retail store (closest is Belfast).

What service options are you referring to? It's a second hand phone he's looking at.

As for the OP, I wouldn't go near it. You will have issues with customs if they stop it at entry.

Just get one here on adverts.ie or even ebay.ie and look for en EU seller and then you won't have the VAT and excise issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Here in Tallaght, may be worth having a chat.

https://www.maxburns.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭djdunny

murpho999 wrote: »
    What service options are you referring to? It's a second hand phone he's looking at.

As for the OP, I wouldn't go near it. You will have issues with customs if they stop it at entry.

Just get one here on adverts.ie or even ebay.ie and look for en EU seller and then you won't have the VAT and excise issue.

The number of owners doesn’t impact warranty. Just because it’s used doesn’t necessarily imply that it’s out of warranty. And even if it was, and happened to go faulty down the line, the OP would need to go to an Apple store should they wish to avail of official Apple service options. (Of course plenty of other phone shops who may be able to repair locally)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭087brain21

i got a iPhone off ebay.com years ago and got it posted over and didn't pay any import tax and phone worked brilliant for years was like brand new.

But its the risk you take loads of sellers try to pass off iPhones as brand new or near new and they aren't 3rd party screens and battery and some saying they are unlocked and aren't.

tbh i have went the refurbished route for my last 2 iPhones and haven't looked back

I get mine from get tech based in cork and 2 year warranty most places only do 1

https://www.gettech.ie/phones-tablets/iphones.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement