Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damaged fibre line. Chances of getting it fixed?

• 01-12-2019 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Used to come to this forum a lot when I was fighting to get my broadband but haven't been back since I got my ftth connection two years ago. It seems the situation for people is even worse than when I left... :mad:

Unfortunately, everything was perfect for me until a branch fell on my fibre line and left it dangling slightly from the pole. The internet is still working but is only a fraction of what it was beforehand (Down:285 -> 100, Up: 45 -> 1.5, Ping: 5 ->35)

Has this happened anyone else? And if so what are the chances of getting it fixed? I imagine the whole fibre line would need to be replaced. I'm dreading the thought of having to contact Eir...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Report it as a fault. They will likely have to replace the entire cable back to the distribution point.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a branch fell on my line nearly 2 years ago and cut off my service completely. Once I reported it, it took nearly 2 weeks for it to be fixed, had to make do with mobile data for about 12 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Gonzo wrote: »
    a branch fell on my line nearly 2 years ago and cut off my service completely. Once I reported it, it took nearly 2 weeks for it to be fixed, had to make do with mobile data for about 12 days.

That's not too bad. When it come to Eir FTTH I think the KN guys are contractors paid for each job they complete so are happy to take on anything that's not overly difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

After a midnight venture up a ladder, I found the fibre kinked on the foot step on the pole. I managed to slip it off it so that the fibre is curving better into the duct. The steel reinforcement is broken but the fibre is still intact.

Thankfully my speeds have returned to normal (if not improved!):

Branch on the fibre:
    8813807510.png

Branch removed and fibre manipulated into less kinked orientation:
    8814245500.png

The fibre is still dangling a bit but I'll take my chances for now.

Thanks guys!

Advertisement