Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do the masses gravitate to blandness?

• 01-12-2019 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭

The drinks industry. The most bland and tasteless products are the best sellers

The music industry. Adeles music is absolutely dreadful, but it is manufactured in such away to appeal world wide. Bland, mid tempo, inoffensive supermarket music. Her last album sold 50, 000, 000 times

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 galtsdrift

just look at the beers available in most pubs, I couldn't agree more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

U2 are the biggest band in the world, and if you think the likes of Running to Stand Still and Bullet the Blue Sky, and Acrobat are bland, then you have no ears. Granted they've churned out some mediocre stuff also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

Everyone I know just drinks lyons or barrys. Lol try some ginzeng like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The music industry. Adeles music is absolutely dreadful, but it is manufactured in such away to appeal world wide. Bland, mid tempo, inoffensive supermarket music. Her last album sold 50, 000, 000 times

All those new beers are just Carlsberg or Smithwicks with a different label.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well with regard to the beers its probably because a lot of people drink alcohol just to get bladdered and not just for enjoyment. Therefore it's bland and cheaper (for Ireland!) than the tastier stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

If everyone liked something, it would by definition become bland, no?

Why do you want to be a hipster so badly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭badabing106

Exactly. If you want to break into this market you have to make an equally bland and inoffensively tasteless product. But with good advertising

• Registered Users Posts: 48 galtsdrift

Exactly. If you want to break into this market you have to make an equally bland and inoffensively tasteless product. But with good advertising

Punk IPA...massive product and very different taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

A good pint of carlsberg is very very hard to match !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Most of the beers on the market are pretty drinkable.
    If they were not they would not sell.

Most popular music is tuneful and well produced.
    If it wasn't nobody would bother with it.

If somebody wants to drink IPA and listen to Japanese monk chants that's ok too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭badabing106

tdf7187 wrote: »
    U2 are the biggest band in the world, and if you think the likes of Running to Stand Still and Bullet the Blue Sky, and Acrobat are bland, then you have no ears. Granted they've churned out some mediocre stuff also.

But were those tracks played in supermarkets, dentist waiting rooms, as background music on soap operas, In elevators. There was a time for about 6 months you could not go anywhere without hearing this stuff constantly

You can buy Adeles entire discography in dealz now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Carlsberg or swithwicks with chocolate added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Its inoffensive. Its not niche enough to exclude the individual.

Bread is pretty bland. Its a best seller. Goth bread would only sell to goths other individuals would not feel it was for them.

Spicey bread would sell to spices people.

There are 'healthy' breads etc but well it will never outsell plain white bread.

What has no identity can be sold to anyone. What has an identity can only be sold to people who identify with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭Allinall

95% of boards posters are outliers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,999 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I was a Guinness guy but the lagers such as Budweiser (ABSOLUTE PISS) Heineken, Coors and Carlsberg while drinkable were kinda bland tasting to me when compared to say Becks, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (DELICIOUS).... Sierra Nevada mmmm

Bland for many people = safe

Is Adele that bad?.. People like simplicity in music..And it's a means of conveying emotion, which she probably does well..

And the industry pushing her..

Allinall wrote: »

Not me..I'm definitely within the normal distribution..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I'd say it's an average of 60% to 80%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Scratch the surface of most peoples lives and you'll scratch off the veneer of blandness.

Is Adele that bad?.. People like simplicity in music..And it's a means of conveying emotion, which she probably does well..

And the industry pushing her..

When people who are intelligent and view music as an art form more then simply entertainment they see Adele and get a bit offended, if they don’t they should. Most people who are into music want to be challenged, entertained, excited to discover the new and the brilliant.

• Advertisement

I'm not. I am very bland.

Strumms wrote: »
    When people who are intelligent and view music as an art form more then simply entertainment they see Adele and get a bit offended, if they don’t they should. Most people who are into music want to be challenged, entertained, excited to discover the new and the brilliant.

Music is a means of conveying and manipulating emotions..What is the point of art if not to give voice to heartache and love?..These people you speak of who want to be challenged are just hipsters with notions..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"Bland" typically means, "What the mainstream enjoys". Therefore by defintion, whatever is bland is going to be the most popular. And if you're a super cool hipster who doesn't conform, then you're going to think that the mainstream stuff is bland.

If it didn't sell massively, it wouldn't sell. It wouldn't sell if people didn't enjoy it.

The complaint that something is "bland" is merely that it has a wide appeal and is enjoyable to a majority of people. Your Hairy Anus IPA and Emilio Kalashnikov's 3-hour Didgeridoo concertos, do not have a wide appeal. Just because something is niche and not bland, doesn't mean it's good.

Omelettes are bland when compared to dogsh1t. I know which I'd prefer to eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Many people, busily juggling multiple responsibilities in life, don't have time to endlessly research craft beers or listen to obscure music. I daresay all of us have a particular passion, something we've devoted 10,000 hours to or know more about than 99% of people. It could be gardening, cooking, gaming, abstract art, nineteeth-century French poetry, etc. But most of us don't have time for more than one or two such passions in our lives, and so we have to be mainstream about everything else.

In another thread, a poster talked about the appreciation he developed for the experimental, avant-garde music of Autechre over years of deep, attentive listening. To put this in perspective, their latest release is 8 hours of dense, abstract electronica.

That is all very well for some — and I appreciate his dedication to the band and the genre — but it's just a reality that most people don't have the time. That doesn't mean they should be disparaged for humming along to pop songs in the car or drinking a pint of Carlsberg in a pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Music is a means of conveying and manipulating emotions..What is the point of art if not to give voice to heartache and love?..These people you speak of who want to be challenged are just hipsters with notions..

The point is craft. True craft, so many people don’t recognise or understand in order to appreciate craft. If something is bitter on the palate they dismiss it as rubbish and duly tested it down they just want the sweet stuff; the pretty stuff that sugar rush. I might to be in it for a rush myself but not of that variety more an adrenaline surge when craft is truly awe inspiring that’s the real sweet spot...

If more people appreciated true construct in all its guises we wouldn’t be marginalised. We should not suffer, or pay over the odds for boring mediocrity. This is our message and our fight will continue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It’s not that people gravitate to blandness, it’s just that people gravitate towards what appeals to them.

There’s a very niche market for an electric powered pick-up truck for example. It’s bland in my opinion, but it’s popular among EV enthusiasts. It remains to be seen whether it’s popular with people who actually drive bland pick-up trucks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

I think a lot of the new beers are aimed at the newly legal drinkers. So many are in soft drink style cans that look like they are being aimed at teenagers who are now legal but don't know what booze to buy. Retro music is so popular because a lot of youngsters don't like the bland music or drill or whatever else is out there. No skin of my nose, there was a time where people wanted to be different, there seems to be a fear of individuality now though.

The lack of appreciation astounds me to this day. You can still get great mass take yesterday; some buzz I left in high spirits. He really knows how to work the altar

You can give voice to heartache and love amongst other emotions without having to play a fûckin Adele record.

• Advertisement

You can give voice to heartache and love amongst other emotions without having to play a fûckin Adele record.

I dunno..Have you ever listened to an Adele record?..A couple of her songs I heard on the radio were grand like..inoffensive..I just wouldn't knock her like..

And anyway, you were going on about a fancy beer above, so you're definitely one of those 'hipsters with notions' I was referring to..

Do you have a beard yeah?

I dunno..Have you ever listened to an Adele record?..A couple of her songs I heard on the radio were grand like..inoffensive..I just wouldn't knock her like..

And anyway, you were going on about a fancy beer above, so you're definitely one of those 'hipsters with notions' I was referring to..

Do you have a beard yeah?

No beard, no hipster just anti bland, interesting to talk to somebody who enjoys grand and inoffensive music... that’s... great

I believe it’s between songs she goes on the offensive. Foul mouth on her; contrary to popular belief

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭HamSarris

People are constantly trying to increase their social status. One way to do this is to try and be original and stand out from the crowd.

By stating, why is X so bland?, why do people find Y funny?, the person is trying to communicate that they have refined tastes, are more intelligent or are more cultured than the next person.

So if U2 weren’t popular, they’d be threads on boards eulogising them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Many people, busily juggling multiple responsibilities in life, don't have time to endlessly research craft beers or listen to obscure music. I daresay all of us have a particular passion, something we've devoted 10,000 hours to or know more about than 99% of people. It could be gardening, cooking, gaming, abstract art, nineteeth-century French poetry, etc. But most of us don't have time for more than one or two such passions in our lives, and so we have to be mainstream about everything else.

In another thread, a poster talked about the appreciation he developed for the experimental, avant-garde music of Autechre over years of deep, attentive listening. To put this in perspective, their latest release is 8 hours of dense, abstract electronica.

That is all very well for some — and I appreciate his dedication to the band and the genre — but it's just a reality that most people don't have the time. That doesn't mean they should be disparaged for humming along to pop songs in the car or drinking a pint of Carlsberg in a pub.

Respectfully I disagree.

I've a very busy life with work and kids but you don't need endless time to try something new and different.

I will try a new craft beer just to see what it's like. Most mainstream lager tastes exactly the same. Why not lift a can or bottle of something that's not sold in every pub in the land.

Music is the same. Go on to Spotify and listen to a different genre. Shazam is great for getting the names of music you might never know. I've found some seriously random music recently that is very good. My mate also sends me songs which are likely to never get close to the charts. We had friends over recently for drinks and I had a Spotify playlist on. One of the lads told me I had a brilliant taste in music and he admitted he really only listens to kodaline when he's driving. I shared the mix with him and told him to keep searching and listening to anything random. He has since messaged me back with some really good stuff I'd never heard of!!

There is a huge amount of everything from food to clothing to music that 90% of people will never venture towards be it through laziness or that they are content with what they know.

No beard, no hipster just anti bland, interesting to talk to somebody who enjoys grand and inoffensive music... that’s... great

Ha..I never said I enjoyed Adele..I said I wouldn't knock it..let people like what they like..

• Advertisement

Maybe I'm just not sophisticated enough..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭jackboy

I think if everyone tried out different non mainstream beers for a few weeks, 90% would never return to bud, carlsberg or Heineken again.

jackboy wrote: »
    I think if everyone tried out different non mainstream beers for a few weeks, 90% would never return to bud, carlsberg or Heineken again.

Didn't everyone do that in 2016?

Didn't everyone do that in 2016?

I’ll prob regret asking but what happened in 2016.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Ooh , this sounds like a rant by a fanboi cos his band has "sold out"! Sure let them at it. Live and let live, man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Not true, craft beer is too beery for some people's tastes and some people can't be bothered with something been an acquired taste. I love Erdinger but sometimes you can't beat a light beer like Heiniken, it depends on my mood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Craft beer is piss.

Raspberry flavored beer produced in some piss ridden shed in Wicklow called some quirky name.

You’re grand mate I’ll stick with Heineken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Craft beer is piss.

Raspberry flavored beer produced in some piss ridden shed in Wicklow called some quirky name.

You’re grand mate I’ll stick with Heineken.

There’s no start to your depth of knowledge on the topic

Greyfox wrote: »
    Not true, craft beer is too beery for some people's tastes and some people can't be bothered with something been an acquired taste. I love Erdinger but sometimes you can't beat a light beer like Heiniken, it depends on my mood.
    There are so many different beers out there though you will find something you like no matter your tastes. There are lots of lovely light beers that are way nicer than heiniken.

I suppose the issue is that these are not widely available in pubs whereas Heineken is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

There are so many different beers out there though you will find something you like no matter your tastes. There are lots of lovely light beers that are way nicer than heiniken.

I suppose the issue is that these are not widely available in pubs whereas Heineken is.

Thanks Christ for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Yes, park your angst it's party time.
    There might even be a band :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Feisar

Everyone I know just drinks lyons or barrys. Lol try some ginzeng like

Was with a wan years ago and she offered me a cuppa, lemon or peach she said. No just a drop of milk please I replied. We knew in that moment it wasn't going to last, that I was her bit of rough.

First they came for the socialists...

Popular things are popular because they’re popular.

The exception is water. Its bland and its not something we gravitate towards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

If anyone can have it, I don't want it :) No, I think it's because mild beer and mild music is palatable without taxing your mind or evoking any tricky or complex emotions. Wind-down products.

Reminds me of someone who said he hates anything, as soon as it gets popular, which is illogical and could rule out something very good. And plenty of popular things were once obscure and only appreciated by those who would consider themselves to be discerning connoisseurs!

• Advertisement
Advertisement