Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottomless Brunch

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Brunch with a drink does not equal brunch with all you can drink prosecco in a given time.

Again, interesting that the posters apparently appalled by this concept have booze in their username. :D

Have you seen people falling out of there, or what is the problem?

Is it a misogynist thing? Brunch with Prosecco is more likely to appeal to women... so, male drinking good, female drinking to be tightly controlled and limited. Is it a catholic thing? (Can’t be a COI thing as COI get to drink the wine in church on a Sunday. The catholic congregation just imagine the smell of it)

This country, swear to god we are still shackled by some puritan mumbo jumbo. I was in France over the summer, stayed in a village. Sunday morning (11am) the community was out in the town square after church. The kids playing in the playground, the parents and grandparents sitting at cafes , some having a glass of cider or wine, some having coffee, having a chat and a laugh before strolling home for dinner. Nobody drunk, just relaxing on a Sunday.

Can I buy a bottle of wine here to put in a beef stew on a Sunday morning? What! No way you crazed alcoholic.

Are there tuts and raised eyebrows at the very idea of drink with a late brekkie / early lunch? Apparently so. What is this concept... eating and drinking at the same time? you must only be downing shots of jager at 2am, or horsing into ten pints in a noisy pub. that’s the civilized way, right?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

pwurple wrote: »

This country, swear to god we are still shackled by some puritan mumbo jumbo. I was in France over the summer, stayed in a village. Sunday morning (11am) the community was out in the town square after church. The kids playing in the playground, the parents and grandparents sitting at cafes , some having a glass of cider or wine, some having coffee, having a chat and a laugh before strolling home for dinner. Nobody drunk, just relaxing on a Sunday.

Can I buy a bottle of wine here to put in a beef stew on a Sunday morning? What! No way you crazed alcoholic.

Are there tuts and raised eyebrows at the very idea of drink with a late brekkie / early lunch? Apparently so. What is this concept... eating and drinking at the same time? you must only be downing shots of jager at 2am, or horsing into ten pints in a noisy pub. that’s the civilized way, right?

Had to check that I hadnt wrote this, agree with it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

I was more interested in the idea that it sounded like a promotion that could go wrong for the restaurant. I just had a look at the menu though. You get to pick one item from the brunch menu and then unlimited prosecco. The most expensive item on the brunch menu is €8.50 and the cheapest bottle of prosecco is €8. So even if you drank 2 bottles of prosecco in an hour and a half you still wouldn't be breaking even.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PreCocious

Again, interesting that the posters apparently appalled by this concept have booze in their username. :D

Is it a misogynist thing? Brunch with Prosecco is more likely to appeal to women... so, male drinking good, female drinking to be tightly controlled and limited. Is it a catholic thing? (Can’t be a COI thing as COI get to drink the wine in church on a Sunday. The catholic congregation just imagine the smell of it)

Lol. Try buying a bottle of wine in a French village on a Sunday afternoon.

PreCocious wrote: »
    Lol. Try buying a bottle of wine in a French village on a Sunday afternoon.

:pac::pac: True that, all gone home for a snooze! It's not banned though, and I could certainly go down the hypermarche and pick something up.

• Advertisement

Yester wrote: »
    I was more interested in the idea that it sounded like a promotion that could go wrong for the restaurant. I just had a look at the menu though. You get to pick one item from the brunch menu and then unlimited prosecco. The most expensive item on the brunch menu is €8.50 and the cheapest bottle of prosecco is €8. So even if you drank 2 bottles of prosecco in an hour and a half you still wouldn't be breaking even.

Wouldn't the stomach be ripped off you if you drank two bottles of wine in 90 minutes? Is that your plan... go in there solo, and just neck it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

Wouldn't the stomach be ripped off you if you drank two bottles of wine in 90 minutes? Is that your plan... go in there solo, and just neck it?

You would have to drink 3 bottles to make it worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Yester wrote: »

That 8 euro prosecco is a mini bottle (snipe -circa 200ml)not a full size of course as no restaurant is selling 70cl bottles of prosecco for 8 euro. Sure you would hardly get one in Lidl for that ! .

A glass of prosecco is 6 euro so 3 glasses and your ahead and that is easy when most pubs will get 6 glasses out of a bottle of bubbly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

In my experience of brunches like this in Dublin "bottomless" Mimosas are heavily sugared up to obscure how watered down the alcohol is. Anyone expecting cheap drink from these kind of promotions is kidding themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    In my experience of brunches like this in Dublin "bottomless" Mimosas are heavily sugared up to obscure how watered down the alcohol is. Anyone expecting cheap drink from these kind of promotions is kidding themselves.

Generally, I would agree, but had bottomless brunch in Crawford and Co. a few months back and I came out of there quite merry :o:pac: Had it in Dwyers before that and they were mimosas but definitely watered down a bit cos they were coming with over with a new glass each time, in Crawford and Co they were just topping up the glass at the table, so the prosecco was coming straight out of the bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Nothing to see here, no problems with alcohol in this country.

Waaaah wwwaaaaaah waaaaaaaaaaaah

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Is it a misogynist thing? Brunch with Prosecco is more likely to appeal to women... so, male drinking good, female drinking to be tightly controlled and limited.

Jesus wept.
    That's some extrapolation there.

Yes, I'm a misogynist because I don't approve of all you can drink in a set time deals!
    Seriously?

I have zero issue with anyone having a drink with breakfast or brunch. None.

It's all you can drink deals I find distasteful.

But if I disagree with you, it seems I'm a misogynist.

Jesus wept.
    That's some extrapolation there.

Yes, I'm a misogynist because I don't approve of all you can drink in a set time deals!
    Seriously?

I have zero issue with anyone having a drink with breakfast or brunch. None.

It's all you can drink deals I find distasteful.

But if I disagree with you, it seems I'm a misogynist.

There were a series of questions in my post you have selectively snipped, intended to find the source of your disapproval. This is the one that triggered it seems.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

There were a series of questions in my post you have selectively snipped, intended to find the source of your disapproval. This is the one that triggered it seems.

;)

Well, shoehorning everything you don't agree with into a sexist agenda does boil my piss, admittedly.
    You have form in doing this.

Advertisement