Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you tip the delivery guy/gal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

What you should be embarrassed about is your use of the acronym OMG, unless of course you are a 12 year old girl (who by all means should not be tipping her pocket money to anyone).

Not at all.

Using an acronym on a website is immeasurably less embarrassing than expecting spare change off people you are already being paid to give your service to.

(12 year old girl insult? Careful. You sound mysoginist as well as ignorant)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

People who grasp this simple concept then throw an extra euro (or two if they want to push the boat out) to the driver. This fee can reflect how good you feel the service was. Gives you a bit of control. Like, give him 2.50 if he is very quick, friendly, and knocks gently on your window as instructed so as not to wake your kid up, and is really good looking. Know what I mean?

I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea of eliminating tipping. But if this happened you would have to pay a slightly higher price for your food. Not sure why that is so difficult to understand? It's the business model that has emerged in the delivery business - you could protest it with Reggie if you like. I think he wants to start a revolution in the fast food industry!

That just the service I expect. If the person on the phone says it is going to take an hour, I expect it to take an hour. I don't see anything worth tipping in someone doing their job. It's setting the bar pretty low to expect extra money go just doing it as expected.

I wouldn't mind if tipping was eliminated and the price rose accordingly. I'd decide if I agree to pay the price or not and that would be it.

I really can't imagine what you could do to earn a tip in the 20 seconds it takes to hand over the food and give change.

I worked as a pizza delivery driver for a bit. It's about as handy a job as you could ever hope for. You get some unpleasant customers and apart from that, it's almost completely stress free and so simple anyone can do it. No skills required except driving and keeping track of the money. Tips are nice and they're also completely unnecessary. That's why I'd just pay the agreed price and leave the driver to work out their pay with their boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Ironicname wrote: »
    Not at all.

Using an acronym on a website is immeasurably less embarrassing than expecting spare change off people you are already being paid to give your service to.

(12 year old girl insult? Careful. You sound mysoginist as well as ignorant)

Nice word du jour.

I don't like curry either. I must be racist too!

Are you one of these people who lives in a permanent state of being offended?

(Here's a tip for you: read back through the thread to grasp my basic point)

Nice word du jour.

No idea what you mean by that. "Word of the day" is the closest I can get. Still makes no sense.
    I don't like curry either. I must be racist too!

Not at all. I was just saying that saying I was complaining and equating me to a young girl could be seen as some as mysoginistic.
    Are you one of these people who lives in a permanent state of being offended?

I'm rarely offended. I don't like being misrepresented. That's different to being offended though
    (Here's a tip for you: read back through the thread to grasp my basic point)

As has been established, I neither give nor receive tips.

...I wouldn't mind if tipping was eliminated and the price rose accordingly. I'd decide if I agree to pay the price or not and that would be it...

Neither would I, Duderino. The point I've been making all along.
    In fact, this might be happening now since people carry less cash and online prices seem to be making it more expensive.
    I really can't imagine what you could do to earn a tip in the 20 seconds it takes to hand over the food and give change.

Some of the demands I used to get were gas. You'd have your tip earned alright. Thinking about writing a book about my time on the job - Confessions of a Curry Man.

As has been established, I neither give nor receive tips.

You never did a job where tipping was a regular thing. Not even while in school or college? Course you dont get it,so. Opining on **** you've no idea about.Privileged upbringing was it?

Never gave a tip? You give the full shaft to any driver you come across by the sounds of it.

I'm rarely offended. I don't like being misrepresented. That's different to being offended though .

you dont like being misrepresented on an internet forum on which you call yourself "Ironicname".

Now that is ironic! Alanis Morissette could have used you.

You never did a job where tipping was a regular thing. Not even while in school or college? Course you dont get it,so. Opining on **** you've no idea about.Privileged upbringing was it?

I did work a job where tipping happened. I never expected it or never thought less of people that didn't do it.

Check my privilege territory now. How embarrassing for you.
    Never gave a tip? You give the full shaft to any driver you come across by the sounds of it.

No idea what that means.

I did work a job where tipping happened. I never expected it or never thought less of people that didn't do it.

Check my privilege territory now. How embarrassing for you.

No idea what that means.

So you have taken tips then, contrary to your previous statement that you dont take tips.

I'm starting to think you are genuinely 12 so I'm gonna leave it there. The penny will drop in a few years about the other comment.

• Advertisement

Some of the demands I used to get were gas. You'd have your tip earned alright. Thinking about writing a book about my time on the job - Confessions of a Curry Man.

If someone is asking you do to stuff that wouldn't be part of the job, then the should pay you for it alright. If you deliver the food with a pleasant manner normal in service industry jobs, then you're just doing your job and you're paid for that by your boss.

So you have taken tips then, contrary to your previous statement that you dont take tips.

No. But I have worked in the hospitality industry where tipping was sometimes offered. I never once accepted a tip as it wasn't allowed.
    I'm starting to think you are genuinely 12 so I'm gonna leave it there. The penny will drop in a few years about the other comment.

Your powers of deduction are only matched by your intelligence, which is unfortunate for you on both counts.

you dont like being misrepresented on an internet forum on which you call yourself "Ironicname".

No. I hate being misrepresented. That's why I use my own words. It's horrible for dickheads to attach their own meanings to your words.

Do you like being misrepresented?
    Now that is ironic! Alanis Morissette could have used you.

How?

Do you think that irony is misrepresentation?

Alanis morrisette is renowned for her misrepresentation of the word ironic. Is that what you are doing?

No. But I have worked in the hospitality industry where tipping was sometimes offered. I never once accepted a tip as it wasn't allowed..

So now you haven't worked in jobs where tipping was the norm (make up your mind!). This is likely the case with the other anti-tippers I would guess.

Been on both sides of the fence myself as a customer and employee.

So now you haven't worked in jobs where tipping was the norm (make up your mind!). This is likely the case with the other anti-tippers I would guess.

I was in the hospitality industry were tips were more than often offered but not accepted.

Bar man in a pub on Nassau st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Shady Grady

I tend to tip everyone who makes an effort whether its the postman,waitress,or oil man.And they do appreciate it and look after you.

• Advertisement

That's fair enough, but when the "effort" is just bringing food to a door, the effectiveness is decided by the delivery man.

The person recieving the food is in fear of not getting a time sensitive product before a more generous customer.

What would happen if all customers tipped evenly? Who would then get their food first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

To be honest mistersifter, you sound worse than the people dead set against tipping. You have an expectation to be tipped for doing your job, and you call anyone who doesn't tip miserable. Honestly now, what in your job makes the tip required? Serious question. I order online, pay the delivery fee and 30-60 minutes later the food is delivered. Your job is to collect the food, put it in your vehicle and drive to the address. You've admitted to deliberately making people who don't tip wait longer. I'd like to know what your employers thought of that? Possibly the person who tips gets 1 or 2 takeaways delivered a fortnight, and the person who doesn't could be ordering numerous times a week. Pretty sure I know which, as the employer, I would want prioritized. But no, you decide to take this on yourself, in which it is not your place to do it, and if I was your employer and knew you were doing this, I'd fire you for negligence. Simple as. It's your attitude and actions are terrible, and the delivery business is just not for you.

I worked as a waiter full and part time for about 10 years, across many different companies, with an actual FETAC qualification in it (silver service and table side de-boning). I never expected a tip. Even if I went above and beyond (which, by the way, is very hard to do as what's above and beyond doing your job right and with the right attitude?) I didn't expect a tip. Did I take them when I got them? Yes. Who wouldn't (unless it's a direction from the employer). But it should never be expected. To this day, I rarely tip delivery drivers. I don't understand those who tip the delivery drivers of non-food products. Those people (DHL, etc) are actually paid a pretty good wage to deliver that stuff full time, makes no sense to tip them.

The only people I tip are waiters/waitresses who have done an exceptional job, and I'm quite picky when it comes to eating in a restaurant. But if they just bring me my food, check to ensure all is ok, offer the condiments/refills and clear my table when finished (in a timely manner), that's just the job they're already getting paid for. Like delivery drivers, they're already getting paid to deliver so I can't see any reason to give more. If they're not paid enough, as said many times by others, that's the employers business and not mine. And again, as said previously, tipping encourages companies to not pay a proper wage for delivery driving. If anything, delivery drivers should be looking for it to be scrapped and a proper wage paid, but I'd imagine that would leave ye with less money as you'd make more from people tipping? I suspect so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

^^^^

If the driver knows a person is a good tipper, then they must be a regular. So the good tipping regular will be top of the pile. I’d imagine the employer would have little problem with that.

If tipping of drivers stopped and wages were raised, the cost would still be passed on to customers via raised prices. So you’d be paying more for your takeaway than you do now. If everyone en masse stopped tipping drivers, it would be the drivers, not the takeaway owners that suffer. Drivers would leave, owners would realise they need to pay more and presto, prices go up. So why not just pay the tip?

And at busy times, prioritising tipping regulars makes sense.

^^^^

If the driver knows a person is a good tipper, then they must be a regular. So the good tipping regular will be top of the pile. I’d imagine the employer would have little problem with that.

If tipping of drivers stopped and wages were raised, the cost would still be passed on to customers via raised prices.

I'd imagine the employer would have an issue if you preferred the 'regular' tipper over the 'heavy' non-tipper, ie: the person who buys way more but doesn't tip. I'd also imagine the employer would not be happy for their delivery driver to decide who should get food sooner over others, or decide to treat someone differently instead of evenly. The driver is not the business, and the business would be effected by the driver having a high horse about getting tipped and causing delays. At the end of the day, the driver is a representative of the establishment, and the establishment is more important than the driver.

And i'd be grand with the costs being passed on. I'm not grand with delivery drivers expecting a tip simply for doing their job, although this thread is telling as to who really shouldn't be in those jobs. It's actually a disgrace that someone thinks they can make these decisions because they either get tipped or don't. Maybe that's just me though...

I'd imagine the employer would have an issue if you preferred the 'regular' tipper over the 'heavy' non-tipper, ie: the person who buys way more but doesn't tip. I'd also imagine the employer would not be happy for their delivery driver to decide who should get food sooner over others, or decide to treat someone differently instead of evenly. The driver is not the business, and the business would be effected by the driver having a high horse about getting tipped and causing delays. At the end of the day, the driver is a representative of the establishment, and the establishment is more important than the driver.

And i'd be grand with the costs being passed on. I'm not grand with delivery drivers expecting a tip simply for doing their job, although this thread is telling as to who really shouldn't be in those jobs. It's actually a disgrace that someone thinks they can make these decisions because they either get tipped or don't. Maybe that's just me though...

I doubt the drivers tell the owners their delivery methods. The timescales most takeaways give are pretty generous. Plenty of time to play around with there. If it gets there within that time, the owner won’t complain. But the tipper is fed and watered sooner.

If you’re fine with the costs being passed on then just pay the feckin’ tip. The only person who get squeezed by you not paying a tip is the driver. Go you. What a hero. People who don’t tip witter on about principles. Yeah, people just think you’re a stinge.

• Advertisement

If you’re fine with the costs being passed on then just pay the feckin’ tip. The only person who get squeezed by you not paying a tip is the driver. Go you. What a hero. People who don’t tip witter on about principles. Yeah, people just think you’re a stinge.

Ok, so you're admitting that the drivers are up to no good behind the employers back then?

I could give 2 flying ****s what people think of me tbh. I work hard for my money (mostly) and I'm sure not going to just give it away to a delivery driver simply for delivering my food, ie: the basic of the job. How about drivers start actually sticking up for themselves and look for a proper wage, instead of expecting the customers to fork out even more money? No? Imo the expectation to tip is what's keeping delivery drivers wages down, because employers will use that as an excuse to not pay properly.

What's so hard to understand about not giving extra money for something you've already paid for? What makes delivery drivers so special that they should get a tip? That's my principle, more people looking for more money for doing nothing extra. Pretty good principle if you ask me. But continue to throw your money away, you're definitely not helping the situation, even while up on your high horse.

Some amount of judgmental folk here.

Ok, so you're admitting that the drivers are up to no good behind the employers back then?

I could give 2 flying ****s what people think of me tbh. I work hard for my money (mostly) and I'm sure not going to just give it away to a delivery driver simply for delivering my food, ie: the basic of the job. How about drivers start actually sticking up for themselves and look for a proper wage, instead of expecting the customers to fork out even more money? No? Imo the expectation to tip is what's keeping delivery drivers wages down, because employers will use that as an excuse to not pay properly.

What's so hard to understand about not giving extra money for something you've already paid for? What makes delivery drivers so special that they should get a tip? That's my principle, more people looking for more money for doing nothing extra. Pretty good principle if you ask me. But continue to throw your money away, you're definitely not helping the situation, even while up on your high horse.

Some amount of judgmental folk here.

No, I think that they will be naturally biased towards tippers. Makes sense. And if in busy times, they organise things by prioritising them (gotta have some method), that’s okay. “Up to no good”? For the love of jaysus. The stingebags will still get their delivery within the quoted time. You don’t have to tip. Yes, some people will judge you for that.

And once again, you say you’ve paid them enough but if delivery driver wages go up, so too will the takeaway prices. So all you doing is screwing the driver. Nice. Yep, judge judge judge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I don't believe in tipping... they are already getting paid to do their job. I don't see people tipping others that work their ass off behind the scene... so why should catering and delivery be the exemption?

Plus these deliveries already do a delivery charge, so...

Yeah, people just think you’re a stinge.
    Yep, judge judge judge.

Edit: Also, don't see how the driver getting paid more is the customer screwing over the driver.

I’m sorry, was I unclear about the fact that I was judging you? I wasn’t exactly being subtle there.
    Edit: Also, don't see how the driver getting paid more is the customer screwing over the driver.

Seriously? Right now, without tips, drivers don’t get a living wage. If they were to start getting a living wage, takeaways would raise their prices to cover that. You’d be paying more but for some reason won’t bridge the difference now when it’s optional even though you say you’d have no problem paying higher prices.

I’m sorry, was I unclear about the fact that I was judging you? I wasn’t exactly being subtle there.

Fair enough.
    Seriously? Right now, without tips, drivers don’t get a living wage. If they were to start getting a living wage, takeaways would raise their prices to cover that. You’d be paying more but for some reason won’t bridge the difference now when it’s optional even though you say you’d have no problem paying higher prices.

Yes, but the price I pay is final, and there's no expectation to pay more. It's the expectation I have an issue with.

I serviced a machine yesterday, fixed another, and upgraded the software on another. And not one ****er gave me a tip, miserable bollixes. May they die roaring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭rn

I don't order delivery often, I usually get delivery. There's always delivery charge, from my experience so I don't tip. My problem lately since vending machines and cash registers at work went to contact less payments is that I never seam to have any coins any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

andersat2 wrote: »
    Depends what type delivery it is.
    If guy just dropping pizza or parcel - no tips or max 1 euro
    If guy delivering sofa, or catering for 60 people including dishes - sure 10 euros minimum.

That's weird - It would never even cross my mind to tip a furniture delivery person. You're usually paying a hefty enough delivery charge anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I've never had a takeaway delivered. So no.
    And Fastway couriers are a day late with a delivery which may never come, knowing their reputation. No again.

But I always give the postman and the coalman a few Bob at Christmas.

• Advertisement

^^^^

If tipping of drivers stopped and wages were raised, the cost would still be passed on to customers via raised prices. So you’d be paying more for your takeaway than you do now. If everyone en masse stopped tipping drivers, it would be the drivers, not the takeaway owners that suffer. Drivers would leave, owners would realise they need to pay more and presto, prices go up. So why not just pay the tip?

And at busy times, prioritising tipping regulars makes sense.

You get to know customers over time. You narrow them down by area and street/estate. Even the ones who order infrequently. People often order the exact same or very similar things. So it doesn’t follow that tippers are the frequent customers.

Yeah wages would go up if people stopped tipping. You say that as if ta a bad thing. And prices would go up to meet the fact that drivers are getting paid - also not a bad thing.

At busy times it makes sense to prioritise orders to get in order to get them to the customer when you said you would when you took the order, not in order of who tops most. Tippers first is a seriously terrible way to prioritise orders and management would be complete fools to allow orders to be late because they sent tippers’ orders first.

I worked as a driver for a few months before being moved inside as a shift manager and I can tell you the hassle from customers who’s good is late is not worth prioritising orders so drivers get tips. That’s would be terrible service and you’d quite rightly lose business for late orders.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

To be honest mistersifter, you sound worse than the people dead set against tipping. You have an expectation to be tipped for doing your job, and you call anyone who doesn't tip miserable. Honestly now, what in your job makes the tip required? Serious question. I order online, pay the delivery fee and 30-60 minutes later the food is delivered. Your job is to collect the food, put it in your vehicle and drive to the address. You've admitted to deliberately making people who don't tip wait longer. I'd like to know what your employers thought of that? Possibly the person who tips gets 1 or 2 takeaways delivered a fortnight, and the person who doesn't could be ordering numerous times a week. Pretty sure I know which, as the employer, I would want prioritized. But no, you decide to take this on yourself, in which it is not your place to do it, and if I was your employer and knew you were doing this, I'd fire you for negligence. Simple as. It's your attitude and actions are terrible, and the delivery business is just not for you.

Exactly. Very rare for me to get food delivered, but if it was taking a long time I would stop using that business, most people would.

If anything, delivery drivers should be looking for it to be scrapped and a proper wage paid, but I'd imagine that would leave ye with less money as you'd make more from people tipping? I suspect so.

Of course it would, they don't pay tax on tips so of course they love the tips!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

It depends on the cost of the overall service for me. If I was to get food delivered that I felt was of good value, I'd be more likely to tip, but if I felt the food/service was already over priced, then less likely.

'Drivers won't get a living wage' if we don't tip them, WTF
    If the drivers aren't happy not getting tips, take up another profession.

Where's the incentive for them to upskill and want to better themselves then if they continue to be rewarded with tax free money.

People that tip, what if the food is sh1te after you've tipped? Do you feel bad that you've got lousy food and paid more for doing so?

I rarely get food delivered, last time I tipped a person was a few weeks ago for washing my car, I felt he did an exceptional job and went above what was expected of him. That was after he provided the service. I won't be tipping someone beforehand.

As for Taxis, I don't tip, unless I have a load of shopping bags and the driver helps with that, but I sit in a cab and go from A to B, its pricey enough anyway so I don't tip them to provide a basic minimum standard.

Rewarding average, minimum standard work in society should not be the norm and will lead to greater problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

That's weird - It would never even cross my mind to tip a furniture delivery person. You're usually paying a hefty enough delivery charge anyway.

Just had a delivery this morning, the chap couldn't of been more helpful.
    He arrived on time, even sent a text when he was half an hour away.
    He knew exactly how to transport and handle the furniture, very happy with the service so yeah he got a well deserved tip on top of the price agreed.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Just had a delivery this morning, the chap couldn't of been more helpful.
    He arrived on time, even sent a text when he was half an hour away.
    He knew exactly how to transport and handle the furniture, very happy with the service so yeah he got a well deserved tip on top of the price agreed.

A furniture delivery guy knowing exactly how to transport and handle furniture ? that's incredible, I suspect though today was not his first day.

A furniture delivery guy knowing exactly how to transport and handle furniture ? that's incredible, I suspect though today was not his first day.

When you pay big bucks for a nice couch it's nice to see it treated with respect, it certainly wasn't his first time doing it and I'll be using his services again.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

When you pay big bucks for a nice couch it's nice to see it treated with respect, it certainly wasn't his first time doing it and I'll be using his services again.

So you think he would have disrespected your couch if he thought a tip wasn't forthcoming?

So you think he would have disrespected your couch if he thought a tip wasn't forthcoming?

Do you think that's an intelligent question?

Just think about it, I really don't have the time or the patience to drag this out.

Just think about it, I really don't have the time or the patience to drag this out.

It does raise the question of what extra service you paid the extra money for.

• Advertisement

If you can't or won't answer that's fine. Maybe you want some quality time with your couch. Sorry to intrude hope you're both happy.

It does raise the question of what extra service you paid the extra money for.

You don't tip someone for extra service, you tip them for good service.

If someone provides extra service they will charge an extra fee.

You don't tip someone for extra service, you tip them for good service.

If someone provides extra service they will charge an extra fee.

I would have thought their boss pays them for good service. Wouldn't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I've seen tip jars on the counter in the actual chippers. Saw one in Burger King in Lanzorote Airport too. That's just chancing it.

I would have thought their boss pays them for good service. Wouldn't you?

I would have thought so too, a furniture supplier is not going to be in business long if his delivery drivers trash the furniture while delivering it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭showpony1

theteal wrote: »
    I always feel weird at the thought of handing a grown adult a pound, like it's kind of insulting. . . .so I just order for collection

i don't mind giving 2euro for a delivery man as its the norm,
    but will feel awkward if it's hotel room service or something where you may feel you are insulting them.

• Advertisement

showpony1 wrote: »
    i don't mind giving 2euro for a delivery man as its the norm,
    but will awkward if it's hotel room service or something where you may feel you are insulting them.

Yeah this is it. I don't just give money away to satisfy a social convention. I'll pay for services I actually want and that's it.

I was in the hospitality industry were tips were more than often offered but not accepted.

You were in a job where tipping was actively prohibited you said. So you dont have experience of working in a job where tips are the norm and you didn't refuse tips because of your morals. Glad we cleared that up.
    You have an expectation to be tipped for doing your job.

This is wrong. I've explicitly stated that with the tipping system, it is ACCEPTED by drivers that not everyone tips. But the system emerged as the norm because most people do tip. You're in the minority if you don't and it just seems unnecessarily contrary to me to wait for 50 cent change because of your views on tipping. Unless you really need your change, in which case I wouldnt blame you.
    Honestly now, what in your job makes the tip required? Serious question.
    Again, I think you've missed what I said. It's been a couple years since I last did that job.

But to give you some kind of answer: there could be a million reasons why someone would tip. People often felt that the quality of the service warranted more than the base fee, so they wanted to add something extra.

I'll give you one example. One regular customer lived in the absolute arsehole of nowhere. It was very difficult to find his house and awkward to get to. Drivers would often get lost and arrive late. The person was very wealthy and there was a whole big security rigmarole when you wanted to access his property. It took ages. He had two huge German Sheppards guarding the place and you had to be careful with them. He used to tip a fiver if you didn't arrive late, which was very nice of him.

That's one situation off the top of my head.
    You've admitted to deliberately making people who don't tip wait longer.
    A disingenuous way of re-phrasing my point. If you have 3 deliveries in the car, well then someone has to wait longest. It's not me inventing waiting times. It's not like I would purposely sit for 20 minutes outside someone's house just to make them get their food late.

Deliveries were completed within the advised time frame, which would depend on how busy the restaurant was but let's say max 50 minutes. Now, if I had a couple of deliveries ordered at the same time, the tipper would be prioritized and might get theirs in 20-30 mins, whereas the non-tipper would get theirs in 45. You might be ok with that, and so be it.
    I'd like to know what your employers thought of that? Possibly the person who tips gets 1 or 2 takeaways delivered a fortnight, and the person who doesn't could be ordering numerous times a week.

The employer was aware that tips were relied upon - she put the system in place. She knew exactly how we worked (and was raking it in by the way). I never let her down once and customers would often compliment the drivers to her. Complaints about drivers were rare.

It's worth mentioning that tipping isn't the ONLY factor used for prioritizing runs. Drivers would take into account location, the time the order was taken, etc, etc. I would never pass someone's house just to make them wait. However, all things being equal, the tipper got their meal earliest. Nobody got theirs late if I could help it.
    To this day, I rarely tip delivery drivers.

That's your decision. You're in the minority.
    I don't understand those who tip the delivery drivers of non-food products.

I tipped my barber this week because he charged me less than I usually get charged in the same place.

I also gave my mechanic a bottle of wine. He really went out of his way to help me quickly and then gave me a very low price when he could have easily charged me more. I wanted him to know it was very much appreciated.
    The only people I tip are waiters/waitresses who have done an exceptional job
    So you tip in the industry where you have experience. This is understandable. It's human nature - you identify with them. I would imagine that the people staunchly against tipping drivers never worked in that job. I also tip waiters if the service is very good. I don't tip anyone if the service is not good.
    tipping encourages companies to not pay a proper wage for delivery driving. If anything, delivery drivers should be looking for it to be scrapped and a proper wage paid, but I'd imagine that would leave ye with less money as you'd make more from people tipping? I suspect so.
    I'll repeat this again for the umpteenth time: I'm not against the idea of scrapping tipping and increasing wages. There are pros and cons to both systems. There were nights when I would have made more and nights when I would have made less from a flat rate. I don't know which would be best overall but the security of a flat rate would have been one thing in its favour.

But the reality is, the majority of people do tip a small amount so the system remains at least for now. Online purchasing might change that I suspect.

Even if an increased rate were introduced now to discourage tipping, many customers would still tip. I doubt we could eliminate tipping in reality, which is a point in favour of the current system. It's basic economics , people know if they pay a bit more they will benefit from it. They just want their food ASAP and are not arsed about the morals of non-tippers.
    Where's the incentive for them to upskill and want to better themselves then if they continue to be rewarded with tax free money.
    This reeks of snobbery. I was doing a doctorate while delivering. Most of the drivers were students. One was a semi-retired. Not one considered delivery driving to be their calling in life.
    People that tip, what if the food is sh1te after you've tipped? Do you feel bad that you've got lousy food and paid more for doing so?
    You do the same thing you would do if you paid a slightly higher flat rate in advance of eating your food. Ask for a refund. You will get your money back or a fresh order delivered.
    As for Taxis, I don't tip.
    Me neither. I think their rates are very high.
    Rewarding average, minimum standard work in society should not be the norm and will lead to greater problems.
    This is what happens if you eliminate tipping. The customer controls the tip and the tip reflects the service. You don't tip mediocre service. You do pay for it with a flat rate.

...You're in the minority if you don't and it just seems unnecessarily contrary to me to wait for 50 cent change because of your views on tipping. Unless you really need your change, in which case I wouldnt blame you.

I would wait for my change. Surly it would only take a few seconds particularly because of the good service you say you provide. But I wait for change everywhere - in shops I get the change no matter how much it is and I'd do the same with a delivery driver.

I need all my money to pay for things I want like food for delivery. I don't have any money to waste and I always get change from shops or whatever, don't you?

But I think this is an example of the 2 things you've been conflating. You want people to tip for the great service you provide (whatever it is) but you judge people who wait for their change as being stingy.

People font have to tip. They’ve already paid for the food and your boss has already agreed to pay for doing the job. It’s everyone is square with each other- jobs a good’n once the customer gets their change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

I never order delivery, always collect which I'm not going to tip for.
    If I'm lazy enough to order food I'll compensate by getting off my ass to collect lol

I would wait for my change. Surly it would only take a few seconds particularly because of the good service you say you provide. But I wait for change everywhere - in shops I get the change no matter how much it is and I'd do the same with a delivery driver.

I need all my money to pay for things I want like food for delivery. I don't have any money to waste and I always get change from shops or whatever, don't you?

But I think this is an example of the 2 things you've been conflating. You want people to tip for the great service you provide (whatever it is) but you judge people who wait for their change as being stingy.

People font have to tip. They’ve already paid for the food and your boss has already agreed to pay for doing the job. It’s everyone is square with each other- jobs a good’n once the customer gets their change.

I always had change ready and never expected tips from individuals. However, at the same time I realised that more people opt in to tipping than opt out, so it works itself out. That's the height of any "expectation" being cited here. If you don't tip, there are enough others doing it to make it work.

Some services rely on tipping, some don't. Your idea of uniformity across all areas is naive. Tipping in supermarkets is not normal anywhere. Tipping for deliveries is the norm the world over and has worked as a successful business model for takeaways everywhere. Despite the flat rate argument, you will not be able to eliminate tipping for the time being.

Those who have such a serious problem with the system that theymake a point of never ever tipping despite being in a position to do so are being unnecessarily contrary as far as I'm concerned. And they're in the minority, which is why the system continues.

• Advertisement
Advertisement