Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you tip the delivery guy/gal?

Comments

Tipping gives customers control as the price can reflect the service - you can give a little more for a great service, less for an average service, and nothing for a bad service. This works as an incentive for driver to go the extra mile for you.
    !

That’s the sort of bull sh1t excuse they give for tipping in the US, it gives you “control”. Horse sh1t, tipping is idiotic practice simple as that. I will pay the advertised price for a service or product and that it, I’m not paying the person extra on top of this, they are paid a wage if they aren’t happy with it they should take it up with their employer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I always had change ready and never expected tips from individuals. However, at the same time I realised that more people opt in to tipping than opt out, so it works itself out. That's the height of any "expectation" being cited here. If you don't tip, there are enough others doing it to make it work.

Some services rely on tipping, some don't. Your idea of uniformity across all areas is naive. Tipping in supermarkets is not normal anywhere. Tipping for deliveries is the norm the world over and has worked as a successful business model for takeaways everywhere. Despite the flat rate argument, you will not be able to eliminate tipping for the time being.

Those who have such a serious problem with the system that theymake a point of never ever tipping despite being in a position to do so are being unnecessarily contrary as far as I'm concerned. And they're in the minority, which is why the system continues.

I have no desire to influence the system in any way let alone any desire to eliminate tipping. I don't not tip out of any ideological persuasion, I just don't see the need to tip the person at the check out at Tesco or the person who sweeps the street, or the delivery drivers or anyone else. Others are free to do whatever they like with their money. they can pay for services or pay twice or three times if they want, it's just not for me. I just pay the agreed price and leave it there.

I don't make any kind of point out of not tipping, I just don't do it whether I'm in a position to do so or not (if someone is getting a takeaway they are obviously not on their uppers so I'd say they're all in a position to give away a couple of euro). People not giving away money doesn't make them a contrarian (which is where you're missing your entitlement). You seem to think not tipping is a bad thing (a contrarian would wait for their 50c).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

showpony1 wrote: »
    i don't mind giving 2euro for a delivery man as its the norm

Well this is the thing if it does become the norm does this mean the grub will arrive simply warm? And within designated hour. Will the advent of online tipping will we see a speed of delivery based on rate of tip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

I got a washing machine delivered and fitted by a well known supplier last week. (pm me for their name)
    He was due shortly after 1pm and i had received a text from supplier that all machines should be dissconnected.

in my ignorance i disconnected hosepipe and water spurting everywhere.
    just tried to get most of it down sink.
    Luckily driver arrived about 5 minuutes later, calmly found where to turn water off, solved the problem and fitted the new machine.
    Couldnt have been happier or more relieved.
    Handed him a tenner as thanks and he said no,,,,im not allowed to take tips......and this from a guy who went above and beyond what he was supposed to do . I will recommend this place to anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

That’s the sort of bull sh1t excuse they give for tipping in the US, it gives you “control”. Horse sh1t, tipping is idiotic practice simple as that. I will pay the advertised price for a service or product and that it, I’m not paying the person extra on top of this, they are paid a wage if they aren’t happy with it they should take it up with their employer.

Is this across the board? Would you tip a priest for a wedding, christening or any other service he's already paid to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Is this across the board? Would you tip a priest for a wedding, christening or any other service he's already paid to do?

huh

priests are not paid.

vow of poverty n all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

This thread annoys me, tipping should never be expected in Ireland, there is a minimum wage for a reason, I hate tipping culture and still see it as an American import. Also a delivery driver just has to get out of their car and ring the door bell, it is hardly a service and not one you could mess up so saying "I should get a tip for good service' all you are doing is handing someone the food the your employer whom you are working for is selling, you are in the service of the take away and not of the customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,872 ✭✭✭hynesie08

limnam wrote: »
    huh

priests are not paid.

I've never heard of a roman Catholic priest doing a service where an envelope isn't handed over.

This thread annoys me, tipping should never be expected in Ireland, there is a minimum wage for a reason, I hate tipping culture and still see it as an American import. Also a delivery driver just has to get out of their car and ring the door bell, it is hardly a service and not one you could mess up so saying "I should get a tip for good service' all you are doing is handing someone the food the your employer whom you are working for is selling, you are in the service of the take away and not of the customer.

And yet so many of them make a balls of it.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I've never heard of a roman Catholic priest doing a service where an envelope isn't handed over.

That's as true as it is irrelevant.

• Advertisement

You are paying for the use of the church in these instances not tipping. Totally different scenario. Some priests will request a fee also others don’t so it’s certainly not a tip either way.

I don’t tip in restaurants, taxis, deliveries, post men, barbers or anywhere else people like to spend extra money on top of what the service or product costs. The exception being in the US where you have no choice in restaurants in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

huh

priests are not paid.

They need to get some kind of stipend. Money needs to be exchanged for goods and services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

You mean do i tip the postman ?...no.

Not even at Christmas?!?!?!?!!!!;;:-!????

I always assumed the service charge or whatever was the equivalent of a tip.... sometimes it can be up to 3.50.

I generally wouldn’t carry cash to tip. I never normally have any cash on me. It’s 2019

I always assumed the service charge or whatever was the equivalent of a tip.... sometimes it can be up to 3.50.

I generally wouldn’t carry cash to tip. I never normally have any cash on me. It’s 2019

Back when i was delivering chipper, €25 float at the start of the evening was your basic, then delivery charge/tips on top.

You are paying for the use of the church in these instances not tipping. Totally different scenario. Some priests will request a fee also others don’t so it’s certainly not a tip either way.

Ah, so it's a fee. A cash fee? (on top of the use of church fee) I vaguely remember you berating someone & telling them they were mean for not giving a priest a few bob on this forum.
    I don’t tip in restaurants, taxis, deliveries, post men, barbers or anywhere else people like to spend extra money on top of what the service or product costs. The exception being in the US where you have no choice in restaurants in particular.

That's very interesting. Did you leave a tip for the staff at the wedding venue?

Ah, so it's a fee. A cash fee? (on top of the use of church fee) I vaguely remember you berating someone & telling them they were mean for not giving a priest a few bob on this forum.

There was no use of church few, just the cash amount that was given as a donation towards the use of the church. It’s not a tip.
    That's very interesting. Did you leave a tip for the staff at the wedding venue?

Absolutely not it didn’t even enter my head to do so nor have I ever heard of someone doing so either. Surely this is not a thing? It cost well enough without this added and totally unnecessary expense you would be mad to going handing over more money.

They need to get some kind of stipend. Money needs to be exchanged for goods and services.

Priests are not paid.

Maybe you're referring to people making donations to the church.

There was no use of church few, just the cash amount that was given as a donation towards the use of the church. It’s not a tip.

I see. Not a tip.
    Absolutely not it didn’t even enter my head to do so nor have I ever heard of someone doing so either. Surely this is not a thing? It cost well enough without this added and totally unnecessary expense you would be mad to going handing over more money.

There's usually a 12% plus service charge in there somewhere. You are supposed to be told about it. Plenty sign away without realising it's there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,872 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Priests are not paid.

Are you honestly telling me you've never heard of someone handing a priest an envelope and telling them to get themselves a few pints?? Cause its the done thing up here???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

showpony1 wrote: »
    i don't mind giving 2euro for a delivery man as its the norm,
    but will feel awkward if it's hotel room service or something where you may feel you are insulting them.

Surely you should tip because you think they deserved / earnt one and not because it's considered the norm?

Priests are not paid.

Right. How do they buy stuff then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

I have no desire to influence the system in any way let alone any desire to eliminate tipping. I don't not tip out of any ideological persuasion, I just don't see the need to tip the person at the check out at Tesco or the person who sweeps the street, or the delivery drivers or anyone else. Others are free to do whatever they like with their money. they can pay for services or pay twice or three times if they want, it's just not for me. I just pay the agreed price and leave it there.

I don't make any kind of point out of not tipping, I just don't do it whether I'm in a position to do so or not (if someone is getting a takeaway they are obviously not on their uppers so I'd say they're all in a position to give away a couple of euro). People not giving away money doesn't make them a contrarian (which is where you're missing your entitlement). You seem to think not tipping is a bad thing (a contrarian would wait for their 50c).

You never tip anywhere, ever, is that it? You wouldn't tip your waiter in a restaurant?

Do you have a partner by any chance and if so are they not bloody mortified to be out with you?

3.50 sounds excessive for a local run. I wouldn't tip in that case either. Rates going up due to people carrying less cash probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,107 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I never tip.

• Advertisement

So you're slow.

No, they're not paid.

How would you describe their monthly salary so if it’s not being paid?
    You never tip anywhere, ever, is that it? You wouldn't tip your waiter in a restaurant?

Do you have a partner by any chance and if so are they not bloody mortified to be out with you?

Not only do I not tip I actively discourage others from doing so also when it starts getting discussed after a meal and if others go ahead I refuse to contribute.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Are you honestly telling me you've never heard of someone handing a priest an envelope and telling them to get themselves a few pints?? Cause its the done thing up here???

Sure,

People make donations to the church.

There's no bill for the service.

You don't get a receipt.

They make donations.

How would you describe their monthly salary so if it’s not being paid?

Not only do I not tip I actively discourage others from doing so also when it starts getting discussed after a meal and if others go ahead I refuse to contribute.

What's the salary scale for priests?

What monthly salary ?

So you're slow.

No, they're not paid.

It takes a brass neck for you to call anyone else slow. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I will tip in a restaurant if it's warranted i.e server was friendly and food came out at a reasonable pace.
    I don't really eat takeaway so it's rare I'd order in but if I do I'd usually give a euro or 2 but again that depends on if the food arrived at a reasonable pace.

• Advertisement

Somebody lecturing me about not tipping would make me more determined to do so.

If you really do refuse to contribute then you are almost certainly considered a stinge by some of your circle.

Jaysus. You must be a hit with the ladies/fellas.

You'd be entertaining on the show first dates too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Jaysus. You must be a hit with the ladies/fellas.

You'd be entertaining on the show first dates too.

What's your problem? Tipping is not mandatory. People pay for a service that is supplied by someone who is already paid to do the job. If the pay is not enough get a different job. Really not that difficult a concept.

I do tip wait staff but I think it’s a stupid convention. I absolutely don’t see the point in it. If they’re pleasant, take the order and bring the order and are able to answer questions like ‘what is x dish?’ then they’re doing a completely adequate job. And their boss pays them to do an adequate job.

But I’m not going to explain that when out for a meal.

I do tip wait staff but I think it’s a stupid convention. I absolutely don’t see the point in it. If they’re pleasant, take the order and bring the order and are able to answer questions like ‘what is x dish?’ then they’re doing a completely adequate job. And their boss pays them to do an adequate job.

But I’m not going to explain that when out for a meal.

Why do you tip waiters even though you think it's stupid? Why just not tip? Is it cos of what people might think of you, or is there another reason? Genuine question.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

i follow them home and prune their hydrangeas.

What's the salary scale for priests?

What monthly salary ?

Basic salary for a run of the mill priest is around 24k with some top ups for years of service, some diocese pay more etc.

If anyone doesn't think those envelopes go into the priests arse pocket, try asking for a receipt.

Why do you tip waiters even though you think it's stupid? Why just not tip? Is it cos of what people might think of you, or is there another reason? Genuine question.

Look at the last line of the post you quoted.

I explained to you why I think tipping waiters is stupid (it’s the same reason I don’t tip anyone else for doing a job professionally) but I don’t want to get into a discussion about it if I’m out for a meal.

If I’m out for a meal I’m there for a good time so I don’t want to have to explain my opinions on tipping for doing a job professionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

JayZeus wrote: »
    This won’t be pleasant, but you did ask and I’m going to give an honest answer.

Standing there with some sort of expectation that your employers customer should give you extra money themselves on top of a delivery charge says something about the delivery person too.

I suppose by the time you’d pay for the extra insurance cover, fuel, wear and tear on your car, pay your taxes when you declare the additional income and so on, there’s probably little to make it worthwhile in the first place. Probably better ways to help your situation with the time spent delivering pizzas and chips.

So no, I don’t tip. I’m not a charity and people doing a cash in hand job without insurance cover and not paying their taxes don’t get the benefit of a misplaced feeing of entitlement from me. People tipping for fat food delivery are as bad as those giving money to those organised beggars on the street.

Jaysus I knew it, people on high horses phone in to collect then ride straight home.

• Advertisement

Look at the last line of the post you quoted.

I explained to you why I think tipping waiters is stupid (it’s the same reason I don’t tip anyone else for doing a job professionally) but I don’t want to get into a discussion about it if I’m out for a meal.

If I’m out for a meal I’m there for a good time so I don’t want to have to explain my opinions on tipping for doing a job professionally.

You wouldn't have to explain your actions - just say you don't want to.

Instead of standing over your beliefs, you do something that you disagree with because you're concerned about what those who are in the majority will think of you. That's hypocritical and undermines your stance IMO, but I'm glad your waiter is being looked after at least ;)

We have different views on tipping and we won't agree so let's leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 nerdyguy

I would always tip! It can go a long way sometimes! Never hurts to be kind!

You wouldn't have to explain your actions - just say you don't want to.

Instead of standing over your beliefs, you do something that you disagree with because you're concerned about what those who are in the majority will think of you. That's hypocritical and undermines your stance IMO, but I'm glad your waiter is being looked after at least ;)

We have different views on tipping and we won't agree so let's leave it there.

I don’t want to explain it. If I’m on a Night out I don’t want to get into a discussion about it.

‘My’ waiter is being looked after by their boss. I give them the tip as a social convention. It’s stupid but I’m out in a restaurant to have a good time, not to make a stand on anything.

I don’t want a waiter to try to be my mate for money. I have enough mates that I don’t need to pay anyone to be pleasant to me. It’s such a cringe convention

I don’t even know what great service would look like. Take the order bring the food and be pleasant. Basic job spec. That’s all I need so I need to tip.

nerdyguy wrote: »
    I would always tip! It can go a long way sometimes! Never hurts to be kind!

How does it go a long way?

How does it go a long way?

The cumulative, obviously.

I give them the tip as a social convention. It’s stupid..

It is stupid if you do it even though you don't want to.

It makes you a tipocrite. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭toffeeshel

I don’t want to explain it. If I’m on a Night out I don’t want to get into a discussion about it.

‘My’ waiter is being looked after by their boss. I give them the tip as a social convention. It’s stupid but I’m out in a restaurant to have a good time, not to make a stand on anything.

You know that tipping is the decent thing to do. When you are out in a restaurant you are too cowardly to get up and walk away without tipping as you would probably have to walk past your server on your way out. Delivery comes to your door- it’s easy to just take it and close the door.

It is stupid if you do it even though you don't want to.

It makes you a tipocrite. :D

Oh yeah. You’ve rumpled me. I’m a massive hypocrite. I’m just not getting into it on a night out. In the pub, online, fine. That’s the place for chatting about this stuff. In a restaurant while divvying up the bill isn’t the time for occupational philosophy. I’ve said already that I’m not interested in changing the tipping culture.

I just pay the penalty in the restaurant and move on with life. So i don’t really care about being a tipocrite.

The same stance isn’t necessary when waiting for change from a delivery driver so I don’t dip them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭toffeeshel

Oh yeah. You’ve rumpled me. I’m a massive hypocrite. I’m just not getting into it on a night out. In the pub, online, fine. That’s the place for chatting about this stuff. In a restaurant while divvying up the bill isn’t the time for occupational philosophy. I’ve said already that I’m not interested in changing the tipping culture.

I just pay the penalty in the restaurant and move on with life. So i don’t really care about being a tipocrite.

The same stance isn’t necessary when waiting for change from a delivery driver so I don’t dip them.

So you’ll stand up for your miserable beliefs while hiding behind a keyboard and behind your front door but not in public where people can come to the correct conclusion that you are a tight arse?
    Go you

• Advertisement

toffeeshel wrote: »
    So you’ll stand up for your miserable beliefs while hiding behind a keyboard and behind your front door but not in public where people can come to the correct conclusion that you are a tight arse?
    Go you

Miserable conclusions? Tight arse? Would you ever cop on. It’s astounding that people think paying extra for a service is expected. Things are expensive enough nowadays without this absolute artificial bull that the Americans have normalised. Go to continental Europe there is no such thing as tipping and no expectation.

Many of the same people who tip will likely be the same ones spending half their Saturday going around all the grocery shops trying to save a few cent and yet they happily overpay for good and services.

Idiotic concept kept alive by plebs.

Advertisement