Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you tip the delivery guy/gal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Go to continental Europe there is no such thing as tipping and no expectation.

Jesus - someone hasn't been to 'continental Europe'.

Try not tipping in Paris and the waiter will probably chase you down the street.

Try not tipping in Paris and the waiter will probably chase you down the street.

Been to Paris on a number of occasions on business never tipped at dinners, in taxis etc nor did any of those who I was there to meet (some of whom would be living locally).

Same in Germany, Switzerland, other parts of France, Belgium, Netherlands, Spain, Portugal, Sweden, Lithuania off the top of my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭toffeeshel

Miserable conclusions? Tight arse? Would you ever cop on. It’s astounding that people think paying extra for a service is expected. Things are expensive enough nowadays without this absolute artificial bull that the Americans have normalised. Go to continental Europe there is no such thing as tipping and no expectation.

Many of the same people who tip will likely be the same ones spending half their Saturday going around all the grocery shops trying to save a few cent and yet they happily overpay for good and services.

Idiotic concept kept alive by plebs.

I’ve give some of you tight-arses credit here. The amount of time you are spending on this thread trying to justify saving a euro on a tip shows that you are dedicated to your miserable existence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

toffeeshel wrote: »
    So you’ll stand up for your miserable beliefs while hiding behind a keyboard and behind your front door but not in public where people can come to the correct conclusion that you are a tight arse?
    Go you

Well, you quoted me saying the pub is a place for chatting about that stuff. So I’m not afraid to discuss it in public. How did you miss that when you quoted the post? Here’s a tip, read posts before you quote’em.

Miserable? Tight arse? Why do you say that based purely on me not tipping?

My contention is that there’s a side of human nature which is inclined to throw money around like it ain’t no thang -implication is there’s loads more where that came from. I don’t have money to give away for nothing just to play the weekend millionaire.

Can you think of any good reasons to tip as a matter of course like people do with tipping wait staff?

nerdyguy wrote: »
    I would always tip! It can go a long way sometimes! Never hurts to be kind!
    How does it go a long way?

Still waiting to see if anyone has any idea how tipping can go a long way. It looks like just one of those things people say without having it having any basis in reality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Still waiting to see if anyone has any idea how tipping can go a long way. It looks like just one of those things people say without having it having any basis in reality.

Or something people say that have as the expression goes 'skin in the game'.

Or something people say that have as the expression goes 'skin in the game'.

This is it. The OP SAYS they have absolutely no expectation of tips ... but then goes on to call anyone who waits for their 50c change, stingy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Ordering takeaway here is already an expensive business, if you order through just-eat or whatever you're paying a delivery fee and the a .50cent 'service charge', now the lad at my door wants a tip too? Where do you draw the line?

Don't get me wrong it's nice to be nice and all but I haven't got an unlimited pot of gold under the stairs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Oh yeah. You’ve rumpled me. I’m a massive hypocrite....

No, you're a TIPocrite. Let's get it right. ;)

No, you're a TIPocrite. Let's get it right. ;)

Oh we got the joke the first time. You waiting for a tip? Is this more of your legendary service?

• Advertisement

Well, you quoted me saying the pub is a place for chatting about that stuff. So I’m not afraid to discuss it in public.

Meet you to discuss it in the pub? So that you can sit back and watch me tipping the lounge staff while you rant on about them being on the minimum wage and how it’s their employers duty to pay them properly? I’ll pass on that. I try to socialize with decent people.

Oh we got the joke the first time. You waiting for a tip? Is this more of your legendary service?

You are actually angry about being a tipocrite! So funny.

I'd nearly have more respect for the mad eejit who says they try convince others not to tip waiters. At least they're not spinelessly hiding their feelings.

Must be a nightmare keeping up the facade this time of year too.

Meet you to discuss it in the pub? So that you can sit back and watch me tipping the lounge staff while you rant on about them being on the minimum wage and how it’s their employers duty to pay them properly? I’ll pass on that. I try to socialize with decent people.

don't get into rounds with him whatever you do.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Is it only Irish delivery people who harbour this expectation of a tip? None of the lads who deliver my food ever stick around long enough. Granted, I pay with card online so there is no awkward waiting for change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

KungPao wrote: »
    A euro or two yeah. It’s nice to be nice to people providing me a service. The ‘euro for a hostel’ lads can do one though. Sick to my teeth of people looking for handouts, but that’s for another day.

+1

They can go **** themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭tjhook

There's a lot of strong feelings with this topic. I don't feel strongly about it, but I do think tipping is a wildly inconsistent subject.

Let's say I sell insurance policies for a living. If I sell one to a guy, I wouldn't expect a tip. But if that same guy gives me a pizza, it's expected? It makes sense in a country without a minimum wage, but not here. As has been mentioned on this very thread, the delivery guy could easily have other jobs during the day, and could drive a better car than I do.

I do believe in tipping for people going above and beyond. E.g. if something heavy is being delivered, and the guy carries it into my house where I want it, as opposed to dropping it at the front door, which he is probably entitled to do. I'd definitely offer a few quid, a bit like buying the guy a pint for doing me a favour.

I'd much rather tipping wasn't a custom. If that means prices go up, so be it. At least it would mean people pay the cost of the service, and we wouldn't have some customers subsidising others.

Oh... it wasn’t actually an invitation to the pub. Awks

You tip bar staff? Seriously or just pretending for the sake of the argument? Either way, have at it. But yes, the pub is a place to chat about that kind of thing and anything else that bares chatting about.

Honestly tipping rarely comes up in conversation for me. It seems like a touchy topic for some though.

You are actually angry about being a tipocrite! So funny.

I'd nearly have more respect for the mad eejit who says they try convince others not to tip waiters. At least they're not spinelessly hiding their feelings.

Must be a nightmare keeping up the facade this time of year too.

There’s no facade to keep up. I pay the penalty and move in. But it must be as naught to expecting handouts from strangers

This time of year? What’s that got to do with anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

No, they won't. I've been to Paris twice, tipping isn't a thing. It also isn't a thing in Barcelona, Brussels or Berlin. Only in Dublin has anyone had the cheek to ask "how much will I put on the tip?" On the card machine.

You've clearly never used Reddit either, every time this topic comes up its full of Europeans saying how tipping isn't a thing here and they don't get it.

don't get into rounds with him whatever you do.:D

Rounds are a completely different thing. If I owe someone a drink, I obviously buy it for them. I don’t owe the delivery driver anything the same way they don’t owe me anything. So id expect nothing from them except to bring me the food I ordered. This is where you completely let yourself down when you conflate an expectation with a wish. You say you don’t expect a tip but it’s clear from your posts you get snarky about people who don’t give you money for nothing. Like the way you make judgements about people who get their change and the way you made assumptions about me because I don’t give away money for nothing.

Yeah rounds are a bit stupid too. I usually get my own drinks or do rounds with one or two people who drink at about the same pace as myself. Rounds are on the way out in my experience.

• Advertisement

tjhook wrote: »
    I do believe in tipping for people going above and beyond. E.g. if something heavy is being delivered, and the guy carries it into my house where I want it, as opposed to dropping it at the front door, which he is probably entitled to do. I'd definitely offer a few quid, a bit like buying the guy a pint for doing me a favour.

Right. If someone does something beyond a reasonable expectations of their service, then they’ve done another job so they deserve compensation.

I can’t imagine how a waiter would do something that’s outside a reasonable job spec for a waiter, to earn extra money.

I can’t imagine how a waiter would do something that’s outside a reasonable job spec for a waiter, to earn extra money.

A sneaky hand drop in the jacks?

I'd add an extra 5% on for that.

That would be outside the reasonable job spec for wait staff. So yeah something like that - but probably not exactly that either.

This time of year? What’s that got to do with anything.

You’re going to be visited by the ghosts of delivery drivers past present and future and they’re going to scare the tips out you, Ebenezer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I did answer. The tips cumulate. For that to happen, each one helps.

I did answer. The tips cumulate. For that to happen, each one helps.

Oh you mean they go a long way for the one getting the free money? Well duh.

I thought you were suggesting that tipping is worth it for the person giving away the money. I’d love a bit of free money- wouldn’t we all. Unlike the OP, most people don’t expect free money from strangers.

You’re going to be visited by the ghosts of delivery drivers past present and future and they’re going to scare the tips out you, Ebenezer

This is it. The expectation is that you tip or you’re mean. I don’t expect free money from anyone and I don’t make assumptions about anyone for not giving me free money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I always add 2 or 3 euro on the app. And I would do the same if I ever paid in cash.

• Advertisement

Lux23 wrote: »
    I always add 2 or 3 euro on the app. And I would do the same if I ever paid in cash.

Ok. Why do you do it?

Ok. Why do you do it?

Because they’re not a miserable git

Quite aggressive language there, T. Are you a delivery driver yourself?

Ah no. Don’t prejudice the question. That was an opportunity to ask someone why they actually do it.

That seems to be the jeopardy. Pay the tip or people might think you’re a miserable git. Ask why someone pays a tip and you’re called a miserable git.

But we’ll see if they poster says why they pay a tip to a delivery driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Oh you mean they go a long way for the one getting the free money? Well duh.

I thought you were suggesting that tipping is worth it for the person giving away the money. I’d love a bit of free money- wouldn’t we all. Unlike the OP, most people don’t expect free money from strangers.

I wasn’t the person who initially said it went a long way. But yeah, obviously they meant it goes a long way for the tip recipient. That was pretty clear.

Ah no. Don’t prejudice the question. That was an opportunity to ask someone why they actually do it.

That seems to be the jeopardy. Pay the tip or people might think you’re a miserable git. Ask why someone pays a tip and you’re called a miserable git.

But we’ll see if they poster says why they pay a tip to a delivery driver.

Ok. I am a driver and I am also a customer. When I get food delivered I always tip. Why? Because it’s nice to be nice. Even rounding up to the nearest euro is a nice thing to do. If you’re going to obsess about it being free money you will never understand the concept. Remember that the person delivering is not just a random stranger. They are out in all weather delivering to you. You might actually get to know them a bit and have a bit of banter. You know- pleasant human interaction.
    Also remember that if the driver leaves the shop with 2 deliveries in opposite directions that the tipper gets their food first

• Advertisement

I wasn’t the person who initially said it went a long way. But yeah, obviously they meant it goes a long way for the tip recipient. That was pretty clear.

Fair enough. I’m still looking for someone to explain why they tip. Why they actually do it rather than being afraid of someone thinking they’re mean or whatever.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Nope. Wrong country for that nonsense. I also don't tip my dentist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Also remember that if the driver leaves the shop with 2 deliveries in opposite directions that the tipper gets their food first

What if they are both tippers? You'd really wanna be tipping higher than the other wouldn't you? Someone said they throw in two or three euro on the last page. Should I throw in four quid to be safe?
    Fair enough. I’m still looking for someone to explain why they tip. Why they actually do it rather than being afraid of someone thinking they’re mean or whatever.

I kinda got in the habit of tipping waiting staff as I waited tables myself as a young lad and always appreciated the tips a lot. Kind of paying it forward in my own case I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

I normally tip delivery drivers between 2-4 euro depending on what spare change i have at the time. I usually give this as i have a good rapport with the local delivery drivers and when we have an order in they tend to get to the house super fast after order is cooked, meals always come piping hot.

While there is a delivery charge on orders, alot of the time i know this does not go to the drivers but the restaurant actually retains this (friends and family have worked these jobs) so i dont mind giving a small few euro especially for super fast delivery and dealing with nice folks.

Omackeral wrote: »
    What if they are both tippers? You'd really wanna be tipping higher than the other wouldn't you? Someone said they throw in two or three euro on the last page. Should I throw in four quid to be safe

Depends on the traffic

• Advertisement

I kinda got in the habit of tipping waiting staff as I waited tables myself as a young lad and always appreciated the tips a lot. Kind of paying it forward in my own case I suppose.

Don’t get me wrong, I love free money. I imagine everyone would. And I worked as both a delivery driver and a waiter so I get that I liked tips. I just don’t see any good reason to do it. Some posters seem to think calling you miserable, if you don’t tip, is a good reason to tip.

I don’t see it. Can’t see any reason to tip for people doing their job. That’s their boss’s responsibility to pay them for doing their job.

I normally tip delivery drivers between 2-4 euro depending on what spare change i have at the time. I usually give this as i have a good rapport with the local delivery drivers and when we have an order in they tend to get to the house super fast after order is cooked, meals always come piping hot.

While there is a delivery charge on orders, alot of the time i know this does not go to the drivers but the restaurant actually retains this (friends and family have worked these jobs) so i dont mind giving a small few euro especially for super fast delivery and dealing with nice folks.

You’d pay people partially to have rapport with you? That’s something I would never dream of doing.

They must have some great banter in the 20 seconds you see them at the door to actually earn money for it.

But they are doing their job, which they are paid for. Do you tip the cashier at the supermarket? Or the pharmacy or in the petrol station. How about your doctor or dentist?

It’s makes absolutely no sense whatsoever as a concept. Handing over extra money on top of what the product or service costs to people in a select few types of job (god knows how they were chosen as the “tipping jobs”).

I couldn’t even tell you the last time I ordered delivery anyway I just go to the takeaway myself as I don’t want to have to pay the extra for delivery never mind tipping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

funnily enough i agree with a lot of people here that i normally disagree with, but i dont stand behind my convictions.

i do tip, mostly out of some guilt becuase the person delivering the stuff to me that its more convenient for me to have delivered than to go get it myself is paid less than me.

So tesco delivery guy always gets 1.50 - 2, same with any food delivery if i have it.

but it is a nonsense.

as nox says the distinction over who gets tipped and who doesnt is an arbitrary one and came originally from the US where wait staff werent paid much of a salary in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

DaveyDave wrote: »
    No, they won't. I've been to Paris twice, tipping isn't a thing. It also isn't a thing in Barcelona, Brussels or Berlin. Only in Dublin has anyone had the cheek to ask "how much will I put on the tip?" On the card machine.

And other stuff that's never happened......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

And other stuff that's never happened......

It does sound unbelievable but I have experienced it myself when some waitress would hand me the terminal to put in my pin but it was on the "additional gratuity" screen where you have to enter the gratuity of press the big bad red X.

You need to get past that screen before you can enter your pin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

Any time I tip the takeaway driver they mostly seem genuinely grateful for it. They certainly never beg/ask/panhandle for it. Most of the time they're turning on their heels before I even offer it to them.

I’ve found this to be the case a lot more since I’ve moved to a more rural location. When I lived in Dublin delivery drivers would almost linger in expectancy of a tip.

I always tip when I can. I try to keep €1 and €2 coins in my wallet which generally just get used for tipping, but since I use card for everything I don’t really notice when I run out. I don’t check if I have any tip money before ordering takeaway, but always feel bad when I realise I don’t have anything to hand over.
    It feels somewhat like waiters/waitresses in the US since the restaurant often is the one seeing the delivery fee, not the driver and the drivers aren’t getting paid minimum wage.
    The restaurant should be the one to be paying their staff properly, but when there’s a lot of things that should be happening in the world. The government should be helping those who are sick and those who are struggling and anyone who is out putting in a hard days work deserves to be able to pay their rent and put food on the table at the end of the month. Industry norms are hard to change, why would one restaurant bother bringing their staff on as full time employees at a normal wage instead of letting them rely on tips that have now become normalised?
    Does the full employment figure constantly being touted include employment in jobs like this which are essentially below the minimum wage, does it account for underemployment? I would worry about jobs like this being so reliant on the extra money that people don’t think about spending. Should the economy dry up this money would likely be one of the first areas people would begin by keeping tabs on, like the ‘stop buying takeaway coffee’ advice that was everywhere during the last recession. I would imagine there are several jobs which rely on people's ‘surplus money’ which would be pretty badly hit purely for the fact that their ‘employers’ have them on crappy contracts with the worst conditions they can get away with. We were told we were lucky to have any job at all during the recession, and for many that sense hasn’t really lifted.

TL;dr
    If the ‘spare’ euro or 2 in my wallet makes a difference to someone else’s life I’d happily give it. I think a lot of people are in crappy jobs and I’d be a lot happier knowing people in the community weren’t struggling as much. Most people wouldn’t think twice about throwing it in a charity bucket at Christmas, at least this way someone feels like they’ve earned it off their own bat

TL;dr
    If the ‘spare’ euro or 2 in my wallet makes a difference to someone else’s life I’d happily give it. I think a lot of people are in crappy jobs and I’d be a lot happier knowing people in the community weren’t struggling as much. Most people wouldn’t think twice about throwing it in a charity bucket at Christmas, at least this way someone feels like they’ve earned it off their own bat

You give a tip as charity because delivery drives have such a crappy job? And you’re giving it to them to let them feel they’ve earned it.

Now, that’s a different approach to most who’ve posted here.

I agree they haven’t even earned it but I disagree delivery driving is a crappy job. As long as it’s paid at least minimum wage plus some kind of subsidy for petrol/wear on the car, then they’re set.

P.s. if employers aren’t paying minimum wage then they’re breaking the law. There are a few ways to approach that situation such as report the employer to revenue (I think that’s who deals with minimum wage issues), and make employees aware of their legal entitlements at a country level. But supporting their business is one of the counterproductive things you could do as a consumer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i cant see why people think its a crappy job. its nothing special but hardly crappy
    yes your out driving in the evening and weather but so are loads of other jobs that you would ever tip
    bin men are the obvious choice
    esb crews are out in storms fixing your power during a storm
    plow and gritters etc are out int he cold and frost roads
    council guys out in all weather picking up your rubish
    sewer guys out in all weather unblocking your pipes clogged with all sorts of
    your local posty is out in a weathers too

no tips for those guys doing worse jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

i cant see why people think its a crappy job. its nothing special but hardly crappy
    yes your out driving in the evening and weather but so are loads of other jobs that you would ever tip
    bin men are the obvious choice
    esb crews are out in storms fixing your power during a storm
    plow and gritters etc are out int he cold and frost roads
    council guys out in all weather picking up your rubish
    sewer guys out in all weather unblocking your pipes clogged with all sorts of
    your local posty is out in a weathers too

no tips for those guys doing worse jobs

Apparently helping you on your way to obesity or a coronary is somehow deserving of a tip .

• Advertisement
Advertisement