Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A doctor with extensive "body art"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭sharpish

galtsdrift wrote: »
    https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/professional/just-because-i-m-colourful-doesn-t-mean-i-m-not-co

How would you honestly feel if you were in A&E or some other hospital deptment and the doctor come in with extensive visable tattoos and body piercings

Really wouldn't bother me, to be honest i might feel a bit more relaxed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

delira with me stira to finally be seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/professional/just-because-i-m-colourful-doesn-t-mean-i-m-not-co

How would you honestly feel if you were in A&E or some other hospital deptment and the doctor come in with extensive visable tattoos and body piercings

I would feel grateful to have made it that far after whatever medical emergency I just had. How would you feel?

I'd feel relieved that the doctor was there to see me after what well may have been a long and uncomfortable wait. As long as she knew her stuff and had a good bedside manner then I couldn't care less what she looks like.

Also, the purple hair suits her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Wouldn't phase me in the slightest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Doctors still wear ties in some hospitals on rounds. I find this an issue, bar the few who tuck them into their shirt. Not sure how tattoos on another person affect my health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

It really wouldn't bother me one bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If I'm in pain and a doctor shows up, I really couldn't care less what they looked like.

Sereiously - you'd have to be really judgemental to turn down help in that situation.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

if body art would put you off or make you come to question the medical or personal attributes of the doctor you need to remind yourself that you are not qualified to question either, it’s art, get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

I’d be more concerned by the fact that it’s a woman doctor. What if she starts thinking about things and removes one of my vital organs by mistake?

Troubling thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Depends, if it was tattoos you get in jail it would, if it was works of art costing more than my car I wouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I think it looks unprofessional.Despite many saying it doesnt matter I'd imagine if you had the choice to choose between her and an exact clone of her without tattoos and piercings you'd probably be more likely to pick the latter. Most people would anyway otherwise I dont see why that article would have ever been posted, obviously its a prejudice she faces daily. Having said that if Im at a hospital and in need of urgent medical attention the physical appearance of my doctor would be the least of my worries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Once there's no infection control risk from the piercings (and according to one of the medical professionals commenting on the article, there isn't) it wouldn't particularly bother me. I don't think it looks very professional though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I have been treated with by doctors and nurses with Tattoos before i wouldn't even think about it tbh. It makes no difference.

I couldn't care less. I may or may not like how someone looks, but my opinion on their appearance has zero to do with how well they do their job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭Darksoul

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest,as long as she knew what she was doing then all good with me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Strumms wrote: »
    if body art would put you off or make you come to question the medical or personal attributes of the doctor you need to remind yourself that you are not qualified to question either, it’s art, get over it.

I see no art here-just tacky doodles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

wakka12 wrote: »
    I think it looks unprofessional.

Why would someone having body art lead you to call into question their professionalism....?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

I refuse to go to A&E unless my doctor is extensively tatooed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Strumms wrote: »
    Why would someone having body art lead you to call into question their professionalism....?
    They're talking about appearance, not competence I think.

People's presentation isn't the be all and end all of course but it's something that's noticed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

After probably waiting in I and E for 12 hour or more i wouldn't give a **** as long as i was seen by a doctor

This woman needs some attention..Stat!!

But really..Ladies with full sleeves look dire..and chest tattoos!!..and the ones on the bloody outside of their thighs..

I know it not cool to say it and all..but, seriously..state of her,..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I generally judge a doctor about how they speak to me.
    Anytime I've seen a doctor I either click with them or don't.
    I've got on with people who have tattoo's and I clash with them also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

This has nothing to do with the imagined stigma - she is just shilling her tattoo business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

wakka12 wrote: »
    I think it looks unprofessional.Despite many saying it doesnt matter I'd imagine if you had the choice to choose between her and an exact clone of her without tattoos and piercings you'd probably be more likely to pick the latter. Most people would anyway otherwise I dont see why that article would have ever been posted, obviously its a prejudice she faces daily. Having said that if Im at a hospital and in need of urgent medical attention the physical appearance of my doctor would be the least of my worries

Completely understand where you’re coming from and absolutely I’d view them both very differently. It shows her in the article with and without makeup and the tattoos are pretty much hidden, but if I had a doctor like her I wouldn’t be the slightest bit put off, I’d more likely annoy her because I’d be so intrigued and curious about her appearance :D

It’s a prejudice any of us faces daily really and that’s why we generally would dress as we feel is appropriate to whatever circumstances we’re in. I’ve always preferred to dress more conservatively both in and out of the office. The dress code in the office is smart casual so I felt like I did stick out a bit like a sore thumb. I’ve been experimenting with more casual stuff lately and I’m conscious of it anyway as I’m incredibly uncomfortable, but I did laugh when my boss commented that he didn’t recognise me without a tie :pac:

I didn’t think anyone took any notice when I was always dressed in a black pants, white shirt and navy tie, and if I was feeling adventurous I might go for a red tie, but I suppose they were used to it, and then when I changed up they noticed something was really different. I’m done with trying to be casual now to be honest, I’m not comfortable with it and nobody cared before, it was me who noticed that I looked a bit out of place, but I’m less concerned with looking out of place than I am about feeling comfortable in work, if that makes sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

I honestly doesn’t think I would have noticed if the person were under 50, older than that I would have thought they were cool😎

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

Wouldn’t trust them. Anyone who does that to themselves is soft in the mind and makes poor decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Not my cup of tea at all, but wouldn't bother me being treated by someone with all the tattoos or piercings.

Piercings might fall foul of uniform policy though in hospitals going on in her career. I know nursing staff aren't permitted to have piercings other than ear lobe, in my local hospital, I'd presume doctors would have to abide by the same policy.

But might be different where she works, as long as she listens to what nurses have to say, I'm sure she'll be fine, a tv doctor career awaits.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

If I or a loved one was in urgent need of emergency care, I wouldn't give a sh1t, best of luck to her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭Homelander

Nice post from a fellow doctor on that site:
    As a now slightly rotund middle aged GP, looking at my age matched somewhat "well rounded" peers with comb-overs, and teeth that are getting a little long - I do wonder just what does actually produce confidence in our clients?

Personally I have always been too scared to get inked (pain averse), but do wear bright socks and ties (obviously with a nicely ironed crisp white shirt!).

I suspect Dr Gray, may well be more relatable to a larger group of patients than we care to admit, and more likely to garner the trust of 36% of people between the age of 18 and 29 (US figures) and 35% of those between 30 and 39 years (UK figures) who have tattoos, than a middle aged man with silly socks.

Children under 18 have lived in a world where tattoos are commonplace on people who are not at all scary, and are less likely to be affronted than the "oldies"

Good on her I say. She is batting up hill and breaking down barriers.

If she is competent, which she obviously is, she deserves to do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

After waiting in a&e for 8 hours I'd take any sort of doctor

Not my cup of tea at all, but wouldn't bother me being treated by someone with all the tattoos or piercings.

Piercings might fall foul of uniform policy though in hospitals going on in her career. I know nursing staff aren't permitted to have piercings other than ear lobe, in my local hospital, I'd presume doctors would have to abide by the same policy.

But might be different where she works, as long as she listens to what nurses have to say, I'm sure she'll be fine, a tv doctor career awaits.

I suspect she wouldn’t be allowed anywhere near an MRI machine anyway. Look what happened in House with a bullet :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'd be more wary of a doctor wearing a formal suit and (especially) a bow tie. The bow tie is a great marker of rudeness and lack of empathy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

i would be supremely offended and outraged whilst starting threads on boards about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

If I woke up after surgery and saw that doctor with her tattoos and pink and blue hair looking down at me I'd probably burst into tears thinking I'd died and gone to heaven.
    What a belter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I’d run a mile and report to all the relevant authorities to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

As long as the tattoo doesn't say "Live, Laugh, Love" or "Shaniqua 4eva" I'm comfortable being treated by them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

It seems people think that tattoos indicate not only a propensity to make bad decisions or be unintelligent, but that doctors must be of extraordinary intelligence to be effective. None of which is true.

A doctor's knowledge is all down to their training and experience. They are generally above average intelligence but not necessarily geniuses. They need to be dedicated to complete the training more than anything else. And most are dedicated because they are ambitious and want the money and prestige.

Furthermore, their decisions about their physical appearance, body art, etc has no bearing on how they make decisions in other areas, or how they will perform professionally when treating patients. We have plenty of obese doctors and being obese is actually dangerous to your health.

If a doctor is making a decision that is physically unhealthy that should be more of a concern. Yet also plenty of doctors and nurses smoke too, and many are also alcoholics. As are many solicitors, accountants, etc.

That doesn't mean they can't be good at their jobs. A lot of people do things in their personal life that might seem strange or questionable but still are brilliant at their calling. Intelligent people become bored easily, that's why you see so many who seek thrills and excitement in various ways, gambling, booze, drugs, fast cars and such. Tattoos are a pretty tame interest to follow all things considered.

Saying a tattoo would put you off someone being your doc is like saying that you would be put off if they liked a certain type of music. It's just something they like.

If my doctor had tats I would just wait to listen to them speak, it would quickly become apparent if they were clever or not. One of the docs at the clinic I used to go to had no visible tattoos and he was useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I wouldn't care as long as they're able to their jobs effectively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I think her appearance is far less important than her ability.

That being said - i think she looks great anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest just as it wouldn't bother me if the dentist, postman, shop assistant or my kids teacher looked like that.

It seems people think that tattoos indicate not only a propensity to make bad decisions or be unintelligent, but that doctors must be of extraordinary intelligence to be effective. None of which is true.

Generally speaking, it is.

Intelligent people become bored easily, that's why you see so many who seek thrills and excitement in various ways, gambling, booze, drugs, fast cars and such. Tattoos are a pretty tame interest to follow all things considered.

People with short attention spans bore easily, it has nothing to do with intelligence or lack thereof. By your own standards one cannot determine anything about a person from their tattoos, so I don’t see why you consider tattoos exciting or thrill seeking.

I disagree though that we can’t determine anything from a persons tattoos, and the girl we’re talking about in this particular case has obviously gone to a lot of effort and expense for her appearance. To say she shouldn’t be or can’t be judged for her appearance is just silly. Of course we form impressions of people’s competency based upon their appearance, it’s not as though she’s rocking one colour knuckle and neck tattoos or a cheap pair of arse antlers! :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

If i ended up in A&E with a broken limb, I couldnt give a toss if the Dr had tattoos, piercings or anything else, as long as they done their job and fixed my limb I'd be happy. They are people at the end of the day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

The tattoos and piercings wouldn't bother me but the silly hair dye job at her age might make me question her judgment. In all seriousness, I don't think it would be much of an issue to anyone under 60 but I think a lot of older people might not feel comfortable with it. When all the tattoos and piercings first took off 15 or so years ago employers wouldn't hire anyone with visible tattoos and you had to remove piercings before your shift started, I'm talking about customer facing roles and multinational employers. Then a few years ago the corporate suits realised that the Millennials, i.e. the people who look like this, are spending more money than their parents and grandparents so they started actively recruiting people with tattoos and piercings. All said and done, if she's good at her job it doesn't matter. But also the feelings of patients should come first not her wanting to express her individuality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

would bother me in the slightest, might relax me if anything. it might upset old people though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

would bother me in the slightest, might relax me if anything. it might upset old people though

might relax them to though, you wouldnt know, unless you asked them all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Doctor's responsibilities don't end at swinging a scalpel. They have to deliver momentous news, such as how long you have to live or explaining your death to your distraught family members.

A certain gravitas is required and in my opinion this is reduced by extensive attention grabbing sleeve tattoos, facial piercings and hair dyed to unnatural colours.

It's like your undertaker : sure a team of men in hot-rocked tracksuits, Nike air max and baseball caps can do the physical parts of the job just as well but it would make most people feel that the funeral of their loved ones was a little undignified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

looksee wrote: »
    I'd be more wary of a doctor wearing a formal suit and (especially) a bow tie. The bow tie is a great marker of rudeness and lack of empathy.

Usually just means he's a paediatrician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Their competency is all that matters, appearance is irrelevant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement