Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A doctor with extensive "body art"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

I would prefer if any person I had professional or personal dealings with didn't have tattoo's.

It wouldn't make me think less of them, just a preference.

Tattoo's suggest a lifestyle that wouldn't necessarily be similar to mine, hence the preference.

If my doctor walked in with those or some other body modification "art" like implanted horns or a split tongue I'd presume they were having some sort of episode.

If you have an issue with your doctor having horns, well, the issue is with you really..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

riemann wrote: »
    I would prefer if any person I had professional or personal dealings with didn't have tattoo's.

It wouldn't make me think less of them, just a preference.

Tattoo's suggest a lifestyle that wouldn't necessarily be similar to mine, hence the preference.

What lifestyle do they suggest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

LirW wrote: »
    What lifestyle do they suggest?

A different one, it's written above.

Congrats on the reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Don't like the facial piercings, they make me a bit quesy and would be a concern with regards to hygeine for me in a medical setting.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,001 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Congrats on the reply.

I don’t think anyone gets to choose what type of ‘lifestyle’ their medical practitioners or caregivers lead.... a bit mad to suggest otherwise.

incidentally what kind of ‘lifestyles’ do tattooed people lead ? Especially ones that could compromise the levels and quality of care ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Fair play to her, i must admit to having a bit of a fetish for good looking ladies with lots of colourful tattoos so i wouldnt mind getting a good seeing too from her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Strumms wrote: »
    I don’t think anyone gets to choose what type of ‘lifestyle’ their medical practitioners or caregivers lead.... a bit mad to suggest otherwise.

incidentally what kind of ‘lifestyles’ do tattooed people lead ? Especially ones that could compromise the levels and quality of care ?

They do have a choice of practitioner though.

They do have a choice of practitioner though.

Maybe yes, maybe no.... if you were in a hospital and told a member of staff that you didn’t want to be seen/treated by Mr./Dr Smith due to the fact he had a tattoo ... I’d have you sent home....you don’t want the care ? Good luck and get out....

Hospitals couldn’t run and patients couldn’t be treated efficiently or successfully in general if people were allowed to handpick their doctors, based on discriminating against them because of religion, age, gender, football team they support, body art... madness

Maybe yes, maybe no.... if you were in a hospital and told a member of staff that you didn’t want to be seen/treated by Mr./Dr Smith due to the fact he had a tattoo ... I’d have you sent home....you don’t want the care ? Good luck and get out....

Hospitals couldn’t run and patients couldn’t be treated efficiently or successfully in general if people were allowed to handpick their doctors, based on discriminating against them because of religion, age, gender, football team they support, body art... madness

I visit hospital regularly and if I wanted to change doctors, I would. People in my position do all the time. You don’t have to go into much detail either about the switch. There’s a nurse I hate and I asked not to be treated by her again. It happened.

As for what you would do - talk is cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

All within reason. Some doctors and medical staff can be pricks, patients can choose another member of staff to treat them if they make them uncomfortable for whatever reason, it's their job to make the patients feel welcome and well looked after too, not every medical staff will be as attentive or warm or whatever as may be required for a patient

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Congrats on the reply.

Perhaps you should see a doctor to have that chip on your shoulder removed.

I visit hospital regularly and if I wanted to change doctors, I would. People in my position do all the time. You don’t have to go into much detail either about the switch. There’s a nurse I hate and I asked not to be treated by her again. It happened.

As for what you would do - talk is cheap.

You visit hospitals regularly ? It’s beginning to make sense now...

I doubt any doctor / consultant would authorize that a patient would change doctor or not be seen without enquiring and insisting to know the root cause for the request and it being a legitimate request... talk is indeed cheap, Walter, you are certainly proving that if not a whole lot else.

You visit hospitals regularly ? It’s beginning to make sense now...

I doubt any doctor / consultant would authorize that a patient would change doctor or not be seen without enquiring and insisting to know the root cause for the request and it being a legitimate request... talk is indeed cheap, Walter, you are certainly proving that if not a whole lot else.

What does that mean? What a pathetic dig. Yes, I visit an oncology day ward regularly. I also know lots of other people who do. Not being comfortable with a doctor is a valid reason to change. I know people who have done this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

If I had the choice, I’d prefer someone who didn’t choose to let someone draw on them in permanent ink. It just seems a daft thing to do.
    In my opinion it shows a lack of forward planning, that’s just my opinion.

wakka12 wrote: »
    All within reason. Some doctors and medical staff can be pricks, patients can choose another member of staff to treat them if they make them uncomfortable for whatever reason, it's their job to make the patients feel welcome and well looked after too, not every medical staff will be as attentive or warm or whatever as may be required for a patient

Fine, if you didn’t feel comfortable in certain instances with which you have described...sure. Calling your doctor to be changed due to them having body art though.. give me a break... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

What does that mean? What a pathetic dig. Yes, I visit an oncology day ward regularly. I also know lots of other people who do. Not being comfortable with a doctor is a valid reason to change. I know people who have done this.

Yes of course people do it . I doubt very much that their reason was a tattoo though

Fine, if you didn’t feel comfortable in certain instances with which you have described...sure. Calling your doctor to be changed due to them having body art though.. give me a break... :rolleyes:

Well yeh, I'd consider that outside the realm of reason

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Yes of course people do it . I doubt very much that their reason was a tattoo though

I think unless you quizzed them all, you couldn’t possibly know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭patob

Odelay wrote: »
    If I had the choice, I’d prefer someone who didn’t choose to let someone draw on them in permanent ink. It just seems a daft thing to do.
    In my opinion it shows a lack of forward planning, that’s just my opinion.

Live and let live. However I would be concerned about any medial professional who would voluntarily allow the injection of ink into the bodies largest and most viital organs,

• Advertisement

No dig. During my stay in hospital which was fantastic in the main the staff, carers, doctors, nurses, who were from all kinds of backgrounds and indeed 90% of patients too were great...

I had some tramp try and steal my physio slot and physiotherapist which I’d had since day one before he even arrived because he felt he could ‘work out better after breakfast’... he was overheard telling another patient he was unhappy his slot was when there was racing on and he had to rush to get showered before visitors arrived :rolleyes:

I think unless you quizzed them all, you couldn’t possibly know that.

I said i doubt it , I still doubt it .

sugarman wrote: »
    A Doctor I once seen always dressed sharp and looked respectable ..but it turned out he was mad for the drink and cocaine.

He killed himself by wrapping his BMW around a lamppost doing twice the legal speed limited and several times over the drink drive limit.

Not a lifestyle id associate similar to my own either but nor was I none the wiser going by his appearance.

We went lately for an important ultra sound for a baby . The technician was immaculately dressed , smelt clean and fresh , his shoes were polished and his tie straight as a die

He was obnoxiously rude , he explained nothing , he treated the baby like a lump of annoyance , he made no effort whatsoever to explain the result or reassure the parents . We had to ask the nurse on the way out what he had actually found and what the plan was

A suit and tie and groomed look means nothing if the wearer is an ass

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

@ galtsdrift----do you yourself have a problem with tattoo's,?He's still a doctor even if he had one leg, people seem to spend a lot of their time giving tattoo's and those who have them a bad name,you'll see in the papers etc 'Tattooed thug attacks old lady,Tattooed scumbag breaks into house etc, but you'll never read about the Tattooed doctor that saved a childs or patent's life,Tattooed fireman save's 6 people from blazing building , what's the big problem ? is it fear.?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Dual wheels

Something radically wrong with her to want to destroy herself like that therefore I would question the state of her mental health and therefore wouldn’t want her any where near me, I find a lot of people who self harm like that have usually has some severe trauma in their lives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

decky1 wrote: »
    @ galtsdrift----do you yourself have a problem with tattoo's,?He's still a doctor even if he had one leg, people seem to spend a lot of their time giving tattoo's and those who have them a bad name,you'll see in the papers etc 'Tattooed thug attacks old lady,Tattooed scumbag breaks into house etc, but you'll never read about the Tattooed doctor that saved a childs or patent's life,Tattooed fireman save's 6 people from blazing building , what's the big problem ? is it fear.?

I've never seen a headline of ' tattooed ' thug did this/ that. It may be mentioned later in the article. Not all people have 'a fear' of tattooed people. Depends more on the tattoo

cjmc wrote: »
    I've never seen a headline of ' tattooed ' thug did this/ that. It may be mentioned later in the article.

the fact that it was mentioned at all is enough, how many newspapers do you buy, :confused:

If she passed all the relevant exams and tests to demonstrate she was capable at her job, I'd allow her to operate on me.

I'd still roll my eyes at her desperate attempts to be 'unique lol', but if she's qualified, then she's qualified.

Although I thought the whole point of being a professional (in anything) was that you covered up so people didn't know anything about you other than the part they're meant to see. I don't want to see a doctors tattoos much like I don't care about seeing a Garda's tattoos or a solicitors. Why do people have such an issue with looking professional?

the fact that it was mentioned at all is enough, how many newspapers do you buy, :confused:

Plenty. They will show pictures of a heavily tattooed man and mention it in the article that he has tats but it's not scare mongering against tattoos. If the thug has tattoos, that's the way it is. If he doesn't it doesn't make him less of a thug

• Advertisement

If she passed all the relevant exams and tests to demonstrate she was capable at her job, I'd allow her to operate on me.

I'd still roll my eyes at her desperate attempts to be 'unique lol', but if she's qualified, then she's qualified.

Although I thought the whole point of being a professional (in anything) was that you covered up so people didn't know anything about you other than the part they're meant to see. I don't want to see a doctors tattoos much like I don't care about seeing a Garda's tattoos or a solicitors. Why do people have such an issue with looking professional?

why do people have such an issue with Tattoos,? is it bred into them? are people with tattoos a lower class or something.:confused:

cjmc wrote: »
    Plenty. They will show pictures of a heavily tattooed man and mention it in the article that he has tats but it's not scare mongering against tattoos. If the thug has tattoos, that's the way it is. If he doesn't it doesn't make him less of a thug

ok, so we might see 'one eared man rob's bank oh and he had a few tattoos as well '.:D

Depends on the tattoo. Facial or hand tattoos, then yes you belong to the lower orders.

And just of all the millions of tatted up gross old hags in the future.

someday we'll all be 'Gross old hags':eek:

why do people have such an issue with Tattoos,? is it bred into them? are people with tattoos a lower class or something.:confused:

Same with people who have plastic surgery..people find dramatic body altering to sometimes be shocking to look at

Only a few have ' issues ' with tattoos. Most people don't. In fact most probably don't give a shyt one way or the other.

Yeah but imagine your old granny with tats!

ah i know i'm always getting on to her about that 'Motorhead ' tattoo.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Hell's Angels, sin in the Bible I don’t know but good question. Maybe seen as the mark of a tough guy/ girl. Must be a whole history of tattoo art.

Blaizes wrote: »
    Hell's Angels, sin in the Bible I don’t know but good question. Maybe seen as the mark of a tough guy/ girl. Must be a whole history of tattoo art.

Sin in the bible'? Read somewhere that jesus or one of the 12 other guy's had a tattoo? Interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Sin in the bible'? Read somewhere that jesus or one of the 12 other guy's had a tattoo? Interesting.

No don’t think it’s explicitly stated in the Bible just the idea of the body being sacred, sanctuary of the lord etc just school stuff I remember but something too about not altering the body. Might explain why people feel older generations might be less open to people with tattoos.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Would have zero issue, the Dr in question is pretty hot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I wish you would stop with this 'older people' having issues with tattoos, or anything else. I'm in my 70s. I never had a tattoo and don't particularly like them, but I have no objection to other people having them. I'd personally rather see a tattoo on someone than a fake orange tan or too much makeup. But just because I don't like any of these things doesn't mean that I have to object to (or be nervous of) someone who has them.

I suppose we could do a poll and ask the age of the people objecting, I kinda doubt that the frequency of objectors would increase with age. Young narrow minded stubborn people often turn into old, narrow minded stubborn people, but many old people have been around long enough to not care what other people do, provided it doesn't do anyone harm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

As someone mentioned earlier there is an element of gravitas with the role of being a doctor in a hospital where they will be dealing with a broad range of people in varying circumstances. Her appearance doesn't bother me though I dislike tattoos, but I personally don't see being edgy and individualistic as compatible with that gravitas or particularly professional.

I find them disrespectful in a professional environment. They're an outward expression. I don't want to see your tattoos, much the same as I don't want to hear that you love Jesus, or are big into video games, or any of that. I want a doctor to be a doctor.

In her own time she can snort lines of cocaine off the ass of homeless people in dublin back alley ways and strip for the fun of it in gentlemen's clubs, or hire herself out as a hitman.. whatever she's into.

But at work she's a doctor, and should dress appropriately.

looksee wrote: »
    I wish you would stop with this 'older people' having issues with tattoos, or anything else. I'm in my 70s. I never had a tattoo and don't particularly like them, but I have no objection to other people having them.

To contrast that, I'm 31 and find them generally tacky and embarrassing (although I still feel everyone should do what makes them happy, I'm sure I do plenty of things people find embarrassing and tacky too... I just don't demonstrate them when I'm working).

Because traditionally people who did time in prison and working class sailors were the only people who had them and nowadays it’s soccer players who come from rough backgrounds

To contrast that, I'm 31 and find them generally tacky and embarrassing (although I still feel everyone should do what makes them happy, I'm sure I do plenty of things people find embarrassing and tacky too... I just don't demonstrate them when I'm working).

Prince Andrew did what makes him happy and look how that turned out...

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

Wouldn't turn down the help if I was in a jam.

That said, if I had a pick of doctors, all qualifications and experience being equal then the tat doctor is going last.

When it comes to doctors, or solicitors or any high importance role I want a Frank Grimes type.

I want a soulless textbook on legs. Not personality.

Ideally I should always be way quirkier than the person who's going to do science stuff to me.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

If I had to pick a doctor I want the one that takes me seriously and that unfortunately is trial and error. I'm a woman dealing with gynaecological issues since I'm a teen that really are debilitating. It's so hard finding someone who takes the time to work out the complex issue of what's wrong. It 'only' took 12 years to get an official statement that something is pretty wrong and another 4 to get to the bottom of it. I've been to many doctors, young, old, men, women, had all sorts of painful and undignified examinations. Some doctors I got recommended, some I found myself.
    Not in a single instance the doctor's physical appearance had an impact on how I felt about their professional skills. Their ability to help me with my suffering did. If I wasn't satisfied with the result of the suggested therapy I'd move on.

Some might feel different about it but for me results mattered, not looks.

20Wheel wrote: »
    Wouldn't turn down the help if I was in a jam

I want a soulless textbook on legs. Not personality.

No, if you are actually IN that situation you think differently...take it from me...

The individual in a certain north Dublin orthopedic hospital who certainly wielded a grand amount of ‘power’ yet completely lacked personality, empathy or indeed kindness on ANY level had the letters ‘prof’ before his name but he was in fact loathed by each patient and families too, criticized by his staff and at least one doctor who I spoke to in the Mater having denied me basic treatment and services that were scientifically proven and in fact recommended by his betters in the Mater. I luckily was afforded this opportunity in the community and was proven to be correct and him not so.... guy on about €150,000 minimum....of OUR money. Give me a PERSON.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

No, if you are actually IN that situation you think differently...take it from me...

The individual in a certain north Dublin orthopedic hospital who certainly wielded a grand amount of ‘power’ yet completely lacked personality, empathy or indeed kindness on ANY level had the letters ‘prof’ before his name but he was in fact loathed by each patient and families too, criticized by his staff and at least one doctor who I spoke to in the Mater having denied me basic treatment and services that were scientifically proven and in fact recommended by his betters in the Mater. I luckily was afforded this opportunity in the community and was proven to be correct and him not so.... guy on about €150,000 minimum....of OUR money. Give me a PERSON.

Think of it as your pilot or solicitor.

I mean if they're proven as good as any other pilot/solicitor then that's fine.

But at the same time no one really wants to see the outline of a mohawk in their planes cockpit.

Its probably meaningless, sure, but similarly a nose ring isn't what I want to see as the anesthesia kicks in.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

As far as I am concerned the only folk who have issues with tattoos, particularly on medical professionals, are narrow minded, judgemental and short-sighted.

If these folk were in A&E and expressed a problem with a tattooed professional who was about to treat them, the appropriate response would be to put them at the very end of the triage list and let them sit there suffering.

People living in a fantasy world thinking that other people are lesser because they choose to adorn themselves with some art. Total see you next Tuesday's the lot of them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement