Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paris

Options
  • 02-12-2019 7:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭

Hi
    I'm due to travel to paris this friday for an exhibition I've been waiting to see for months.Its only a day trip
    Just heard that theres a 4 day train and bus strike due start on Thursday so it looks like there's no point in going
    Can anyone living in paris confirm this
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

argentum wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm due to travel to paris this friday for an exhibition I've been waiting to see for months.Its only a day trip
    Just heard that theres a 4 day train and bus strike due start on Thursday so it looks like there's no point in going
    Can anyone living in paris confirm this
    Thanks

I did a quick search on google, and it looks like you do NOT want to be there on Thursday. Few mentions of Friday except for one site that hinted that the strike might last more than one day. I’d say check again on Thursday to see which way things are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

argentum wrote: »

Don't live in Paris, but know that these strikes are becoming less and less effective as the Parisians find other ways of travelling. Here's LeFigaro's guide to getting around (in French) - you'll see that covoiturage (car-sharing) is top of the list. This has become the default substitute for public transport in recent years. Not quite sure why the companies listed are offering free transport, but in your case, it sounds like you'll only need a lift from the airport to the gallery and back again. Should be easy enough to arrange.

What airport are you flying into, and where's the gallery?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I think there's a general transport strike on Thursday, but the rail staff are also starting an open ended strike Thursday... So the buses "should" be back Friday... Might depend a bit on who your flying in with, (I'm not sure are airport staff in on the strike) there could be all sorts of follow on chaos... (doubt if it'll affect ryanair though)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭argentum

Thanks for the answers but if there's any hassle at all i wont bother going to be honest
    Im due to fly into CDG but I'm going to The Louvre and an exhibition called Atelier des Lumieres in the city centre before

CDG? No problem then. Taxi or bus to anywhere in the city, then walk. If you're looking for "no hassle at all" then Paris is not a great city to choose even when things are going well! :pac:

The Air France bus, now re-branded as LeBusDirect, has confirmed that it is running as normal on the 5th (subject to traffic delays). 31€ return CDG-Paris centre

• Advertisement

Today's the day of "massive disruption" and so far ... ... traffic in Paris is exceptionally fluid! :pac: Road journey times are considerably faster than usual, and at 10am there is just one accident on the Périphérique as opposed to the usual 20 or so. Reports from the outskirts of the city suggest that it feels like Christmas Day - bright sunshine, crisp cold, beautifully peaceful. Sounds like a great day to visit. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭argentum

Thanks for the info I'm going to take a chance and fly

Advertisement