Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All's not well in FG.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

Why are we constantly told that FG are keeping prices high to benefit the banks and builders if no one can afford to build or buy the bloody houses!!??

Just shows the nonsense theories the opposition and the left come out with.

There is some element of truth to that and its based around the fact that the REITS can claw back quite alot of the taxes outlaid. (or at least they could until legislation recently tightened the rules a bit around it)

In terms of housing the density is too small for developers.

Take for example Cherrywood in Dublin. That's funded by Hines the pension fund, but they are putting in colossal sized blocks to offset the cost of the land. They are also looking at it over longer term. They are building shops, creches, paid play centres etc. They are building an entire ecosystem so the money they are putting into the actual capital cost is being re-clawed in rent but also in the creches, fees for shops etc etc.

So you can see why housing estates are not really taking off and the likes of cherrywood is...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    A creative and entertaining reply, fair dues.
    1) use it or lose it clause on site planning permissions, an incremental sepeculative tax on each time a site is flipped and provide courts with additional resources to speed up decision times and tackle the 'no rent/mortgage paid whilst holding the show up for years in courts. Not quite the same as your turf folk out of the family home simplified line.
    2) on every policy, plan, legislation etcproduced by the state or state authorities, must include a 'reduce the cost of living analysis' to address same.
    3) see 1 above, but update and streamline CPO powers, derelict site powers, vacant site powers and no exemptions for state bodies.

1) Your incremental speculative tax would be unconstitutional unless it also applied to farmers selling sites to children who then flipped the houses onwards, as happens a lot. Providing the courts with additional resources won't help things, it is the endless adjournments allowed by courts for families in line with legislation that delay things.
    2) Won't have any effect, because they have those included already
    3) Again, some minor effects at best but huge constitutional implications.

All in all, your proposals would have some minor effects at the margins, but won't really address the core problems. They are typical of the type of things that we will see suggested in election manifestos such as FF's in an effort to look like things will be done differently, but really won't make that much difference.

If you really want to free up the housing market, you have to take on board the type of radical suggestions I put forward. No politician or political party will do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

blanch152 wrote: »
    1) Your incremental speculative tax would be unconstitutional unless it also applied to farmers selling sites to children who then flipped the houses onwards, as happens a lot. Providing the courts with additional resources won't help things, it is the endless adjournments allowed by courts for families in line with legislation that delay things.
    2) Won't have any effect, because they have those included already
    3) Again, some minor effects at best but huge constitutional implications.

All in all, your proposals would have some minor effects at the margins, but won't really address the core problems. They are typical of the type of things that we will see suggested in election manifestos such as FF's in an effort to look like things will be done differently, but really won't make that much difference.

If you really want to free up the housing market, you have to take on board the type of radical suggestions I put forward. No politician or political party will do so.
    I largely agree with your sentiment and there's no simple quick fix. There's a cost benefit analysis required for legislation which is good but it's aimed at value for money for state spend. My suggestion is specifically to deal with the wider cost of living with proposals.

Whether a constitutional amendment is required is quite possible, but whatever the measure taken, has got to deal with rampant speculation and profiteering that has caused and continues to cause high prices and rents.

I absolutely take your point about constant adjourments and delays which covers the entire legal system, and one which even managed to resist the troika. But if I could sum up, it's really measures to tackle vested interests and cosy cartels.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    I largely agree with your sentiment and there's no simple quick fix. There's a cost benefit analysis required for legislation which is good but it's aimed at value for money for state spend. My suggestion is specifically to deal with the wider cost of living with proposals.

Whether a constitutional amendment is required is quite possible, but whatever the measure taken, has got to deal with rampant speculation and profiteering that has caused and continues to cause high prices and rents.

I absolutely take your point about constant adjourments and delays which covers the entire legal system, and one which even managed to resist the troika. But if I could sum up, it's really measures to tackle vested interests and cosy cartels.

I agree with all of your suggestions (with the possible exception of the constitutional amendment, because it won't pass, not because it's not good), but the real issue is that they aren't enough to force more change. Arguably, they won't do as much as the measures that Murphy has already brought in, which are beginning to see change and progress.

I think one of the reasons FG are hanging on, is because the numbers of house being built is increasing, it went over 5,000 a quarter last quarter, if it is getting close to 6,000 a quarter by the time of the election, FG will be able to say that the figures show they are making progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

blanch152 wrote: »
    I agree with all of your suggestions (with the possible exception of the constitutional amendment, because it won't pass, not because it's not good), but the real issue is that they aren't enough to force more change. Arguably, they won't do as much as the measures that Murphy has already brought in, which are beginning to see change and progress.

I think one of the reasons FG are hanging on, is because the numbers of house being built is increasing, it went over 5,000 a quarter last quarter, if it is getting close to 6,000 a quarter by the time of the election, FG will be able to say that the figures show they are making progress.

the anger is about more than just the housing crisis and I think people are totally out of patience. I reckon they are done one way or another. Its too little, too late. Their arrogance, swing gate, Varadkar being a failure there , I am obviously missing out a ton of bad things. They have made their own grave. Its just a constant inability to act or act with any conviction or sense of urgency...

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »
    the anger is about more than just the housing crisis and I think people are totally out of patience. I reckon they are done one way or another. Its too little, too late. Their arrogance, swing gate, Varadkar being a failure there , I am obviously missing out a ton of bad things. They have made their own grave. Its just a constant inability to act or act with any conviction or sense of urgency...

What anger? Yours? There’s always some unhappy with da gubberment, no matter who is in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

What anger? Yours? There’s always some unhappy with da gubberment, no matter who is in power.

And it's this dismissive attitude, coupled with the inference that anyone unhappy with FG must be one of "those" (Shinners/rent-a-mobs/dolers/wasters - delete as applicable) that has been a big part of FG's undoing in recent times.

That and things like dodgy compo claims, playing the system to grab an extra 50k in expenses, the party itself being exposed for tax evasion over NINE YEARS ... and oh yes, the inconvenient reality that core problems have gotten signficantly worse under their tenure (let's skip the "but, but... full employment!" notion shall we? That's down to a global recovery and private investment - if anything FG are trying their best to stifle that growth through their mismanagement of the housing crisis)

FG should change the party slogan to reflect what it REALLY represents - "Making Fianna Fail electable again for generations"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    And it's this dismissive attitude, coupled with the inference that anyone unhappy with FG must be one of "those" (Shinners/rent-a-mobs/dolers/wasters - delete as applicable) that has been a big part of FG's undoing in recent times.

That and things like dodgy compo claims, playing the system to grab an extra 50k in expenses, the party itself being exposed for tax evasion over NINE YEARS ... and oh yes, the inconvenient reality that core problems have gotten signficantly worse under their tenure (let's skip the "but, but... full employment!" notion shall we? That's down to a global recovery and private investment - if anything FG are trying their best to stifle that growth through their mismanagement of the housing crisis)

FG should change the party slogan to reflect what it REALLY represents - "Making Fianna Fail electable again for generations"

This article is from 2010 showing how FIANNA FAIL wasted 10 billion of tax payers money.

More than €1bn of taxpayers' money has been wasted every year since Fianna Fail came to power 10 years ago, a Sunday Independent investigation reveals.

We can show that since Fianna Failtook office a decade ago, more than €1bn of taxpayers' money has been wasted annually.

A list of failed projects, delayed works, bloated bureaucracy and poor management have all led to more than €10bn being squandered in the last 10 years.

Taxpayers' money has been squandered by every Government department including €100m on the abandoned Stadium Campus Ireland project, the €471m overrun on the Luas, the €150m overspend on the Port Tunnel, as well as almost a €1bn wasted on the Government's botched de-centralisation policy.

Apart from the overspends and underestimation in the cost of the Port Tunnel and the two Luas lines that don't link up, and the chaos that is the M50, Ireland's road building projects since 1997 have collectively cost €3.2bn more than what was originally forecast, according to our figures.

Opposition parties, hospital patient groups and leading economists have said that institutional waste during a time of plenty and the failure to deliver a first world infrastructure is endangering Ireland's competitiveness internationally.

One of the key areas is the health service. Its funding has increased from €3.2bn in 1997 to almost €13bn this year. Despite this massive injection since 1997, the Health Service Executive, which employs 70,000 people and 36,000 indirectly, is now closing wards and has introduced a freeze on new employees.

The closure of a 10-bed ward in Nenagh hospital is just one of a number of high-profile ward shutdowns in recent weeks. The Irish Patients Association has said cuts and ward closures currently being enforced by the HSE are unforgivable.

Steve McMahon of the Irish Patients Association said: "It is an organisation rife with institutionalised bureaucracy. When they formed the HSE in 2005 they should have introduced a redundancy package and cleared their ranks.

Some people here saying FIANNA FÁIL don’t overspend!!!!!!!!

FG get in, make the harsh austerity cuts needed.

People get angry, along comes FF to spoil everyone again, we’re all happy then bang, another bust and around we go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

FG get in, make the harsh austerity cuts needed.

People get angry, along comes FF to spoil everyone again, we’re all happy then bang, another bust and around we go.

Actually 2/3 of the cuts were made before FG got in. You are entitled to your own opinion just not your own facts. ;-)

• Advertisement

This article is from 2010 showing how FIANNA FAIL wasted 10 billion of tax payers money.

More than €1bn of taxpayers' money has been wasted every year since Fianna Fail came to power 10 years ago, a Sunday Independent investigation reveals.

We can show that since Fianna Failtook office a decade ago, more than €1bn of taxpayers' money has been wasted annually.

A list of failed projects, delayed works, bloated bureaucracy and poor management have all led to more than €10bn being squandered in the last 10 years.

Taxpayers' money has been squandered by every Government department including €100m on the abandoned Stadium Campus Ireland project, the €471m overrun on the Luas, the €150m overspend on the Port Tunnel, as well as almost a €1bn wasted on the Government's botched de-centralisation policy.

Apart from the overspends and underestimation in the cost of the Port Tunnel and the two Luas lines that don't link up, and the chaos that is the M50, Ireland's road building projects since 1997 have collectively cost €3.2bn more than what was originally forecast, according to our figures.

Opposition parties, hospital patient groups and leading economists have said that institutional waste during a time of plenty and the failure to deliver a first world infrastructure is endangering Ireland's competitiveness internationally.

One of the key areas is the health service. Its funding has increased from €3.2bn in 1997 to almost €13bn this year. Despite this massive injection since 1997, the Health Service Executive, which employs 70,000 people and 36,000 indirectly, is now closing wards and has introduced a freeze on new employees.

The closure of a 10-bed ward in Nenagh hospital is just one of a number of high-profile ward shutdowns in recent weeks. The Irish Patients Association has said cuts and ward closures currently being enforced by the HSE are unforgivable.

Steve McMahon of the Irish Patients Association said: "It is an organisation rife with institutionalised bureaucracy. When they formed the HSE in 2005 they should have introduced a redundancy package and cleared their ranks.

Some people here saying FIANNA FÁIL don’t overspend!!!!!!!!

3rd time to post a 9 year old article, worried?

Actually 2/3 of the cuts were made before FG got in. You are entitled to your own opinion just not your own facts. ;-)

You know exactly what I mean.

3rd time to post a 9 year old article, worried?

Did you read it?

Has it sunk in yet?

Did you read it?

Has it sunk in yet?

9 years ago..not relevant to the present tbh, but if you want to go down the route of waste let's start water meters, National Children's hospital National ,Broadband plan.

You know exactly what I mean.

No you are making untrue claims. Not up to me to decipher your intent.

9 years ago..not relevant to the present tbh, but if you want to go down the route of waste let's start water meters, National Children's hospital National ,Broadband plan.

What’s wring with the broadband plan?

I see this posted here as if there is some conspiracy going on?

More tin foil nonsense.

It’s a sound plan that is badly needed.

But yeah let’s just give out because we dont like FG.

No you are making untrue claims. Not up to me to decipher your intent.

So your absolving FG from the austerity cuts?

That’s actually refreshing, thank you, it makes a change from the narrative here that it was their fault.

Some sense finally.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

That’s actually refreshing, thank you, it makes a change from the narrative here that it was their fault.

Some sense finally.

Fg are incompetent arrogant chancers, you think I want a scenario, where in a democracy, there isnt a single bloody party I can say I am happy to vote for. Where its picking from unimaginable ****, to very very ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭antimatterx

ELM327 wrote: »
    I can't see him as Taoiseach. He was around Bertie's cabinet. People won't vote him back.

I will be voting FG (as I have done since 2011) as there is no other credible option.

I vote FG also, and I think MM will sell his granny to form a coalition with the left. FG willl be the biggest, but unfortunately I can see a FF, Labour and Green coalition. I can even see MM going against the grassroots and getting into bed with SF.

The man is pushing 60, this is his last chance and I don't think he cares who the junior coalition partners are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

61 posts per day for a new account. Classy. :D

• Advertisement

Some sense finally.

I see reading is not your forte.

61 posts per day for a new account. Classy. :D

What’s that to do with the subject?

Do you have an issue with me and my number of posts?

I see reading is not your forte.

Uuuuuuh good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

More tin foil nonsense.

The state is paying 3 billion euro of taxpayers money and in the end the network will be owned by an American private investment group. Public money subsidising the private sector, like welfare for the wealthy.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/1120/1092736-national-broadband-plan/

The state is paying 3 billion euro of taxpayers money and in the end the network will be owned by an American private investment group. Public money subsidising the private sector, like welfare for the wealthy.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/1120/1092736-national-broadband-plan/
    So how much would it cost the state to go it alone and what would be the return?

Some figures and projections when you’re ready thanks.

Seems you’re the expert in this subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

No that is the opposite of what I am saying. He should have overseen, unendorsed and unapproved the decision as pure idiocy and waste.
    His job is to give the Irish taxpayer good value for their hard earned money.

I do not think you understand how government works in this country.

You want Eoghan Murphy to oversee all the actions of all Local Authorities and Councils in Ireland.
    May as well get rid of LA's then, and make the Dail exectutive run everything, from housing to parking meters.

Put all the power into the hands of the Cabinet, even though we already have some of the weakest local government in the EU?

You are funny.

markodaly wrote: »
    I do not think you understand how government works in this country.

You want Eoghan Murphy to oversee all the actions of all Local Authorities and Councils in Ireland.
    May as well get rid of LA's then, and make the Dail exectutive run everything, from housing to parking meters.

Put all the power into the hands of the Cabinet, even though we already have some of the weakest local government in the EU?

You are funny.

These people can’t be debated with.

No understanding of basic policies.

I often wonder how they get by everyday life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Idbatterim wrote: »
    hang on! I want you know what you think he should be doing?

he introduced fast track planning, nimby everything dont want housing in their area. The LPT is farcically low. Council tenants paying as good as no rent. I mean if you think he has been poor, fine. But I want to know, what you think he should be doing! You can get nothing done in this country without endless consensus and getting everyone on board. You know that he isnt a dictator?

You nailed it there.

We are an overly obsessed consensus based society, where we need to talk endlessly and try and get consensus on how we run our state.
    Sure, why do we have so many referendums?

On the big issues like abortion there is merit to the idea. But to try and get things built, like housing, metros, bus lanes, greenways, data centres it fails badly.

This is the core issue wrong with both housing and health. We have been swimming againt the tide to try and get a consensus with all stakeholders to fix the issue. Hasnt really worked out.
    It near impossible to build high rise in Dublin as an example. BusConnects is delayed for years because everyone had to be informed and notified about every tree, shurb and stone that may be affected.
    Health, well can't reform that because everyone from the consultant to the porter needs to be informed about the change and they have to agree to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

More tin foil nonsense.

It’s a sound plan that is badly needed.

This poster has to be a windup. Is it one of the 3 amigos? Join date leads me to believe.

The strategic comms unit are about as subtle as a sledgehammer. Expect more of this nonsense in the run up to GE2020.

• Advertisement

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    This poster has to be a windup. Is it one of the 3 amigos? Join date leads me to believe.

The strategic comms unit are about as subtle as a sledgehammer. Expect more of this nonsense in the run up to GE2020.

What’s your problem?

Are people who don’t agree with varied opinions not allowed speak and have a different opinion around here?

Are FG voters not allowed have a voice here?

See your 3 amigo nonsense?

You couldn’t be more wrong, honestly.

Advertisement