Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All's not well in FG.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

golfball37 wrote: »
    There is no difference between the 2 main parties except the second word of their name. Until Paddy wakes up and realises this we will continue to get amateur level services and entitled politicians. If they merged in the national interest I'd welcome it. At least then they could be held to account.

The state is less than 100 years old and we’ve gone from being one of the poorest countries in Europe to one of the wealthiest in the world, and with services that billions of people could only dream about.

This happened under FG and FF governments. Things aren’t perfect, but utopia doesn’t exist. Vinny and Vera Voter know things are good and vote for one of the two parties. The electorate doesn’t want change - doesn’t want far left or far right nonsense. That’s tough for some people to accept.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

And conveniently that FF thread has been closed and not moved here.

Once again no negative vibes about FF allowed here.

Forces at play.

You have a perfect opportunity here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111950242&postcount=53

Knock yourself out. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

The state is less than 100 years old and we’ve gone from being one of the poorest countries in Europe to one of the wealthiest in the world, and with services that billions of people could only dream about.

This happened under FG and FF governments. Things aren’t perfect, but utopia doesn’t exist. Vinny and Vera Voter know things are good and vote for one of the two parties. The electorate doesn’t want change - doesn’t want far left or far right nonsense. That’s tough for some people to accept.

I am sorry but waste, insurance fraud and expense fraud is wrong no matter what way you spin it.

Do you accept mediocrity so readily in other aspects of your life?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There is no difference between the 2 main parties except the second word of their name. Until Paddy wakes up and realises this we will continue to get amateur level services and entitled politicians. If they merged in the national interest I'd welcome it. At least then they could be held to account.
    The suggestion here is that there are "professional" people lurking out there somewhere. Would that be in the SDs, Labour, SF, Greens or the alphabetis?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭golfball37

is_that_so wrote: »
    The suggestion here is that there are "professional" people lurking out there somewhere. Would that be in the SDs, Labour, SF, Greens or the alphabetis?

I think you should stick to the day job- I wasn’t saying that at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

This is true , and over the next generation we will incorporate Northern Ireland and become a truly unstoppable nation , Ireland has huge advantages, premier of which is our affability and no amount of misgovernment seems to be able to undermine that basic appeal .

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

The state is less than 100 years old and we’ve gone from being one of the poorest countries in Europe to one of the wealthiest in the world

Ireland has the 2nd highest debt per capita in the world.
    That's on FF and FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

You could have on the old account. :cool:

Is there a problem here that I have a new account?

Most posters here do too.

Big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Is there a problem here that I have a new account?

Most posters here do too.

Big deal.

No problem, none whatsoever, I am 99.9% I know the old amount too btw, not important really.

Just pointing out that had you of kept the old account - you could've started a thread.

I didn't write my post cryptically either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

No problem, none whatsoever, I am 99.9% I know the old amount too btw, not important really.

Just pointing out that had you of kept the old account - you could've started a thread.

I didn't write my post cryptically either.

Oh right thanks for telling me what I already knew!

But if it gave you some satisfaction of a friday then glad to help.

• Advertisement

Why can't you start new threads btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Why can't you start new threads btw?

You have to be a member for a month or something IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

And of course the first word of their name!

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Here's something I'll tell you for free.

Just had a look at the charter/rules and there's nothing whatsoever preventing you from starting a thread in current affairs - you've been whinging across several forums about how there's a lot of negative press recently surrounding the blueshirts on the site, and then whatabouting about FF.

You're free to open a thread here without a minimum post count, or the length of time your account has been opened.

Nothings preventing you opening a thread about FF at expense stroking, spurious personal injury claims and whatever else has the other lads in the news of late.

Nothing whatsoever stopping you, save maybe some actual material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

As I said before, I don't think FG nor FF are equipped for more than two terms. The wheels start to come off. I don't know if it's the nature of their political game of their lack of long view but it's like the old story of the bulls:
    The old bull and the young bull were standing at the top of the hill overlooking a paddock of many gorgeous young heifers. The young bull said, "Let's charge down the hill, knock over that fence and f*** one of those heifers each". The old bull wisely replied, "Why don't we saunter down the hill, open the gate, take a sip at the water trough and F*** 'em all?"

Basically, they are so happy to get in they get straight down to grifting and in their haste to make money the shine begins to wear off very quickly. Due to not being sure how long they'll be in they only plan for one term, so when they get two they're not sure how to play it IMO.
    It's like the TV show "lost", full of promise then found wanting and playing it by ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

As I said before, I don't think FG nor FF are equipped for more than two terms. The wheels start to come off. I don't know if it's the nature of their political game of their lack of long view but it's like the old story of the bulls:

Basically, they are so happy to get in they get straight down to grifting and in their haste to make money the shine begins to wear off very quickly. Due to not being sure how long they'll be in they only plan for one term, so when they get two they're not sure how to play it IMO.
    It's like the TV show "lost", full of promise then found wanting and playing it by ear.

FF have completed more than 2 terms on numerous occasions so I don’t think that view is credible.

As for criticising a government for planning for only one term, it’s simply ridiculous. All governments have implemented long term plans, such as Project Ireland 2040. Other than long term planning what do you expect? A government introducing a programme for government for the next 30 years?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭golfball37

JP Phelan having a go at people defending the homeless now I see. FG are no better than FF or SF. A cult

A lot of the media outlets are running with "Dewey beats Truman" type articles, which might make people believe Leo and pals days are numbered, they're already a dead duck govt, beginning reminiscent of FFs last week's in govt in 2011.

IMG-20191208-123801.jpg

JP Phelan having a go at people defending the homeless now I see. FG are no better than FF or SF. A cult

He’s right. What have these singers and actors done for the homeless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

He’s right. What have these singers and actors done for the homeless?

As citizen's they have a right to critique the behaviour of government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

A lot of the media outlets are running with "Dewey beats Truman" type articles, which might make people believe Leo and pals days are numbered, they're already a dead duck govt, beginning reminiscent of FFs last week's in govt in 2011.

IMG-20191208-123801.jpg

Who would you like to see in Government after the next election, J?

Countering the spin...FactFind: How many homes is the Irish government actually building every year? https://jrnl.ie/4918423

Countering the spin...FactFind: How many homes is the Irish government actually building every year? https://jrnl.ie/4918423

“That statistic is made up of 52,647 ’brand new’ completions, another 3,657 completed homes in unfinished housing estates, and 8,291 more homes which were returned to use after they were deemed to have been vacant for at least two years“

Does this answer your question?

“That statistic is made up of 52,647 ’brand new’ completions, another 3,657 completed homes in unfinished housing estates, and 8,291 more homes which were returned to use after they were deemed to have been vacant for at least two years“

Does this answer your question?

I didn't ask a question MA, it's better if people read the link instead of the piece you quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I didn't ask a question MA, it's better if people read the link instead of the piece you quote.

Yes, I read the link. I was pleasantly surprised.

Central Bank estimates are for 23,000 homes to be built this year. I could be wrong but from my recollection we were only building around 3,000 a year in 2011? Does anyone have the figures?

Rebuilding Ireland has targeted 25,000 a year by 2020. It looks like the Government has managed to “turn the tanker around”, but FG will not get the credit from the likes of you, and probably not from the electorate either.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Yes, I read the link. I was pleasantly surprised.

Central Bank estimates are for 23,000 homes to be built this year. I could be wrong but from my recollection we were only building around 3,000 a year in 2011? Does anyone have the figures?

Rebuilding Ireland has targeted 25,000 a year by 2020. It looks like the Government has managed to “turn the tanker around”, but FG will not get the credit from the likes of you, and probably not from the electorate either.

Turn the tanker around? Record homeless figures of 10500, record hospital waiting lists. Over 200,000 children on waiting lists. Enlighten me as to what credit you believe FG deserves?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/more-than-200-000-children-on-waiting-lists-for-health-care-services-1.4107210

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/number-of-people-homeless-in-ireland-rises-again-1.4034959

Soz. It appeared that you had. Maybe use inverted commas when quoting someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Turn the tanker around? Record homeless figures of 10500, record hospital waiting lists. Over 200,000 children on waiting lists. Enlighten me as to what credit you believe FG deserves?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/more-than-200-000-children-on-waiting-lists-for-health-care-services-1.4107210

It is all there in your link, if you read it.

Soz. It appeared that you had. Maybe use inverted commas when quoting someone else.

No Factfind is the journal title. It was obvious I wasn't asking a question. But hey misrepresentation is not a new tactic by certain posters on Boards.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    It is all there in your link, if you read it.

You suggested I wouldn't give FG credit for turning the tanker around. The homeless crisis is getting worse, children on waiting lists getting worse but you feel FG deserve credit, are you mad?

Advertisement