Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All's not well in FG.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Every criticism of Fine Gael is Margret Cash or someone else's fault.
    Name one 'solve it today' politician or poster. You go back to this fantasy as a basis for your deflections. Stating FG policy is making matters worse does not equate to 'solve it today', mind they could start today.

Sheer fantasy Blanch. How is more housing at prices out of many tax payers reach helping?

Here you are *not* defending Fine Gael. With a mention of climate change for the legitimacy ;)

Not to worry, they'll do alright next election I'm sure.

The world is grey, it isn't black and white, either for or against, as some wish it to be.

I can acknowledge the good things that FG have done, while also wanting them to be replaced by a government that includes the Greens. I accept that that is a difficult complex, nuanced and multi-faceted opinion, that isn't necessarily suitable for a discussion board, where people form themselves into groups of like-minded clones with bipartisan opinions. Often, these boards look like a microcosm of the North.

By the way, stating FG policy is making it worse does not make it so, especially when all of the relevant indicators show that things are improving strongly on the house-building front. Do you want a return to the boom as under FF where we were building unsustainably in the wrong places?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

blanch152 wrote: »

By the way, stating FG policy is making it worse does not make it so, especially when all of the relevant indicators show that things are improving strongly on the house-building front. Do you want a return to the boom as under FF where we were building unsustainably in the wrong places?

Record breaking numbers of homeless factually does.
    What has more houses got to do with solving the crisis? If they go towards renting out to the LA's/state or are bought by the LA's/state it's not the best deal for the tax payer. If they are to be sold on the private market, it means nothing to those can't afford them. Just saying more builds is a FG fudge.
    Whatabout aside, we need more social and affordable. Real social, tax payer built on tax payer land.
    FG are obviously happy as is. Money rolling in for pals.

ELM327 wrote: »
    If a working tax payer can't afford rent they should relocate or retrain. Or both.
    There's no housing crisis. There's an entitlement crisis of people who think earning 10 quid an hour entitles them to live in the centre of the city... or that having 5 kids gets them a free gaff beside mum

You have a point, and Eric does too. If people on social housing lists are allowed turn down offers because they are not in the city centre or not near Mum and Dad, then the housing problem will never be solved.

Even worse, the commuting hell will get worse as actual workers won't have anywhere to live near the city. If the likes of Matt and others are really interested in social housing for workers and really serious about it (I suspect they are not), they would be insisting on tough measures on social welfare recipients that don't accept the first offer.

What has more houses got to do with solving the crisis? If they go towards renting out to the LA's/state or are bought by the LA's/state it's not the best deal for the tax payer. If they are to be sold on the private market, it means nothing to those can't afford them. Just saying more builds is an FG fudge.
    Whatabout aside, we need more social and affordable. Real social, tax payer built on tax payer land.
    FG are obviously happy as is. Money rolling in for pals.

I don't know what to say to this.

We have a homeless crisis = there are not enough homes.

A poster asks what have more houses got to do with solving the crisis?????Utterly bizarre.

The only solution is more houses and homes. If the situation is as acute as you and others claim it to be, where those homes come from doesn't matter, they just need to be built!

You have a point, and Eric does too. If people on social housing lists are allowed turn down offers because they are not in the city centre or not near Mum and Dad, then the housing problem will never be solved.

Even worse, the commuting hell will get worse as actual workers won't have anywhere to live near the city. If the likes of Matt and others are really interested in social housing for workers and really serious about it (I suspect they are not), they would be insisting on tough measures on social welfare recipients that don't accept the first offer.

So folk either agree with you on social housing or they aren't genuine?
    I think if you are from an area you should be able to ask for housing in that area. How ever trendy or expensive the market deems it should not matter a jot IMO. Also you forget an LA only has reign over it's own locality.

Again, social housing is for low income and those seeking work. There should be nobody out of work by choice, we all agree I'm sure.
    No idea where you think you read we should go easy on chancers and fraudsters but I can see how it helps your comment.
    I don't know what to say to this.

We have a homeless crisis = there are not enough homes.

A poster asks what have more houses got to do with solving the crisis?????Utterly bizarre.

The only solution is more houses and homes. If the situation is as acute as you and others claim it to be, where those homes come from doesn't matter, they just need to be built!

Come off it. Are these new builds to be given to the homeless? :)
    More homes at exorbitant prices will likely be bought up by vulture funds to be rented or leased to the state/LA. How is that a good deal for the tax payer?

We need more affordable and social. You and FG citing 'new builds' is a con.

There's a crisis and it's going nowhere. Other threads for housing, let's keep it country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I said they are doing some - BusConnects and Metrolink being the two obvious current projects, I did not say that they had delivered.

Apart from Luas to Broombridge, which as a Dublin 15 resident I use a bit, they haven't delivered much.[/quote

It's actually the nta delivering these projects. All certain fg members have done is pretty much oppose these projects.

tom1ie wrote: »

It's actually the nta delivering these projects. All certain fg members have done is pretty much oppose these projects.

Since when is the NTA an independent private sector body raising its own revenue to deliver its own projects without government approval?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Since when is the NTA an independent private sector body raising its own revenue to deliver its own projects without government approval?

That doesn't take away from the fact that fg ministers are actively trying to sabotage the two major transport projects in Dublin along with many other politicians as they see votes in it.
    On top of that fg gave Shane Ross the transport portfolio, that amounts to effectively abandoning the public transport agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Remember the time I posted about FG trying to distance themselves/blame anyone else for clusterfcuks such as Irish Water, the housing and health crises.....

And wanting to take credit for everything and anything deemed successful?

^^^^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 22,009 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Only way I can polietly account for this tired rethoric...

Ah, I'm right. Let's just say, myself, Leo, Eoghan, FG and every political party and independent politician in the land agree to differ ;)
    The rest is rabbit hole 'let them eat cake' shyte. Despite alleged machinations in the direction of solving the crisis I'd guess your view is the behind closed doors Fine Gael view, based on current policy any way.
    So now, FG's opinion matters to you and is a credible justification for your point and argument??

There's no housing crisis. We're looking at buying another investment property - a few years after selling the first one - and there's plenty out there within 1 hour of dublin for less than 150k.

The "crisis" is that someone wants a free forever home in Dublin. Not that someone needs a home. If they needed a home they would take one in Leitrim, Longford, Cavan etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Who would you like to see in Government after the next election, J?

This is a good question.
    We all know this government is dead in the water. Surprised it has lasted this long, to be honest.

An election to come in the next few months, so maybe posters can be honest on who they would like to see replace FG in government and why..

All we usually get is, 'sure they can't be any worse..' which is not really a reason.

markodaly wrote: »
    This is a good question.
    We all know this government is dead in the water. Surprised it has lasted this long, to be honest.

An election to come in the next few months, so maybe posters can be honest on who they would like to see replace FG in government and why..

All we usually get is, 'sure they can't be any worse..' which is not really a reason.
    I will be voting FG

E
    Name one 'solve it today' politician or poster.

You.

You are on record in stating that an actual donkey would be better than a FG TD in the Dail.
    I don't know about you but I don't reckon a farm animal has the ability to put forward legislation, no matter how much you disagree with it.
    Never mind the fact, you are the ultimate hurler on the ditch.

It will be funny though watching your posts when/if a new Government comes to pass.

More homes at exorbitant prices will likely be bought up by vulture funds to be rented or leased to the state/LA. How is that a good deal for the tax payer?

There's a crisis and it's going nowhere. Other threads for housing, let's keep it country.

You are economically illiterate.

Please, read up a little on supply and demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

The homeless are almost the last people new builds should be given to. Many many out there struggling and living in undersized accommodation, paying crazy rent (or back in with the parents) and going to work every day. These people should be prioritised

We need more affordable housing near the cities

So folk either agree with you on social housing or they aren't genuine?
    I think if you are from an area you should be able to ask for housing in that area. How ever trendy or expensive the market deems it should not matter a jot IMO. Also you forget an LA only has reign over it's own locality.

Hundreds of thousands of workers can't live in the area that they grew up in because it is unaffordable, yet you believe that all those on the housing list (only a small minority of whom work) should get that choice.

How is that fair?

It is only in Ireland that a poster who talks all day about the homeless crisis thinks that building houses is not the answer. That does not make any sense.

Posters like you stopped talking about the crisis in the finances and the country being closed down at the end of the week once a FG government sorted out the finances. You guys then talked about jobs meaning more than money, but that talk stopped too when a FG government got record employment and only people that won't work are unemployed. Now that houses are being built after years of hearing crying about no housing being built, we are told that building houses won't solve the homeless problem. We can see through the bluster and the nonsense economics.

However, in a way you are right. Building houses won't solve the housing problem. There will always be someone who believes that they have an entitlement to a house where they grew up (with a back garden for a trampoline), even when there is no more space in the locality. There will always be someone who has two houses, wastes all the money and ends up dead on the street. You can't help people with an entitlement culture and you can't help people who won't help themselves. Like it or not, the homeless will always be with us in the same way that there will always be some who won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

If I leave my rented apartment to move into my new build apartment, what do you think happens to my old apartment?

Hint: it doesn't disappear.

Put it this way, if we move 10,000 students who rent in the usual types of apartments or house shares into purpose-built student accommodation, what happens to these places that they left?

They become available to the market to be picked up by others.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

markodaly wrote: »
    Put it this way, if we move 10,000 students who rent in the usual types of apartments or house shares into purpose-built student accommodation, what happens to these places that they left?

They become available to the market to be picked up by others.

And at the moment that appears to be primarily local authorities or investment funds who then rent them out to others.

The latter is bad enough, but the former is using the taxes of the same people who then have to compete to buy the property (generally unsuccessfully).

It's happening all over the country.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    And at the moment that appears to be primarily local authorities or investment funds who then rent them out to others.

The latter is bad enough, but the former is using the taxes of the same people who then have to compete to buy the property (generally unsuccessfully).

It's happening all over the country.

It still adds to the overall housing supply, which is the point.
    If for example, you build 10,000 luxury apartments, it will help the supply downstream.

That is the point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

21% of the 10,000 homeless are non EU nationals.

Oh how I would love some more information about these 2,000 people and their status in the country.

Not a hope though,

We’re told nothing of the 10,000 homeless only that they deserve a house now and that’s that.

No one is allowed question or argue with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Nice sweetener for RTE, 50M over 5 years. I wonder how that will go down with the electorate.

21% of the 10,000 homeless are non EU nationals.

Oh how I would love some more information about these 2,000 people and their status in the country.

Not a hope though,

We’re told nothing of the 10,000 homeless only that they deserve a house now and that’s that.

No one is allowed question or argue with that.
    Why can't we investigate at point of entry and either accept or reject and deport then and there. And allow entry only to those with proven means to support themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Calhoun wrote: »
    Nice sweetener for RTE, 50M over 5 years. I wonder how that will go down with the electorate.

Probably go down okay with the soft-left floating voters that FG is competing with FF, Labour and the Greens for. It's not a huge sum at the end of the day...

This echo chamber about how homelessness and the housing crisis all boils down to chancers and fakers would be hilarious if not so saddening.

Just 20 of Ireland’s rivers are ‘pristine’, down from 500 in 1980s
    EPA report says water quality in rivers and lakes ‘of very significant concern’

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/just-20-of-ireland-s-rivers-are-pristine-down-from-500-in-1980s-1.4110018

I wonder what public tax they can magic up for this?

This echo chamber about how homelessness and the housing crisis all boils down to chancers and fakers would be hilarious if not so saddening.

Echo chamber?

If you post a nonsense post and no one agrees with you, you can't claim echo chamber

A handy way for you to avoid answering the hard questions once again.

A handy way for you to avoid answering the hard questions once again.

*yawn* like what?
    Are you accusing me of running away or 'pulling a Blanch'?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Probably go down okay with the soft-left floating voters that FG is competing with FF, Labour and the Greens for. It's not a huge sum at the end of the day...

True enough but the hardliners will use it as a stick to beat them with. 50M is small at the end of the day but RTE as an organization still is viewed as a gravy train and this could be used to show the governments disconnect.

• Advertisement

*yawn* like what?
    Are you accusing me of running away or 'pulling a Blanch'?
    I think it's clear what you are being "accused" of
    ELM327 wrote: »
    Echo chamber?

If you post a nonsense post and no one agrees with you, you can't claim echo chamber

Advertisement