Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All's not well in FG.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

*yawn* like what?
    Are you accusing me of running away or 'pulling a Blanch'?

Here is one for a start:
    blanch152 wrote: »
    Hundreds of thousands of workers can't live in the area that they grew up in because it is unaffordable, yet you believe that all those on the housing list (only a small minority of whom work) should get that choice.

How is that fair?

P.S. Resorting to "blueshirt brethern" or "doing a Blanch" won't provoke me, nice try though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

golfball37 wrote: »
    I think you should stick to the day job- I wasn’t saying that at all.
    Well, what can you do when posters are so incapable of expressing cogent thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Calhoun wrote: »
    True enough but the hardliners will use it as a stick to beat them with. 50M is small at the end of the day but RTE as an organization still is viewed as a gravy train and this could be used to show the governments disconnect.

People who deeply resent the licence fee and want to see RTE ground into the dust have nobody credible to vote for that is likely to grant their wish. FG can afford to take those 'hardliners' for granted as those with any political awareness know that however much taxpayers' money FG is pumping into RTE, FF and the left parties are almost certain to be giving them more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

WealthyB wrote: »
    Ireland has the 2nd highest debt per capita in the world.
    That's on FF and FG.
    The debt we have , the largest part of it, was for the day to day running the country when we got into bother from 2009 inwards. Is that public or private? Private is our own fault and I can't seem to find a link that matches a claim for public debt. Do you have one?
    Public debt numbers figures tend not to matter as long as repayments are affordable and a lot of it will get rolled over into perpetuity.

• Advertisement

It's that tax credit that caught their eye. Why would you get tax back for where you live? I like the conditional unintended consequences line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

ELM327 wrote: »
    I think it's clear what you are being "accused" of

I was more looking for 'proof' of his claim comrade.

Here is one for a start:

P.S. Resorting to "blueshirt brethern" or "doing a Blanch" won't provoke me, nice try though.

You have a reputation for painting yourself into a corner and disappearing for a few days. I only raised it for irony purposes.

Are you ready now?
    Hundreds of thousands of workers can't live in the area that they grew up in because it is unaffordable, yet you believe that all those on the housing list (only a small minority of whom work) should get that choice.

How is that fair?

It's completely justified IMO.
    Where the current market hotspot is deemed to be should have zero weight on the supply of social housing. I've said this before....actually wait...
    You have a point, and Eric does too. If people on social housing lists are allowed turn down offers because they are not in the city centre or not near Mum and Dad, then the housing problem will never be solved.

Even worse, the commuting hell will get worse as actual workers won't have anywhere to live near the city. If the likes of Matt and others are really interested in social housing for workers and really serious about it (I suspect they are not), they would be insisting on tough measures on social welfare recipients that don't accept the first offer.

So folk either agree with you on social housing or they aren't genuine?
    I think if you are from an area you should be able to ask for housing in that area. How ever trendy or expensive the market deems it should not matter a jot IMO. Also you forget an LA only has reign over it's own locality.

Again, social housing is for low income and those seeking work. There should be nobody out of work by choice, we all agree I'm sure.
    No idea where you think you read we should go easy on chancers and fraudsters but I can see how it helps your comment.

So this was your example?
    Stick with the ball not the man.
    I'm off to use 'Eoghan' in every second post ;)
    TBF I prefer Eoghan 'baby with a beard' Murphy.

There is money to be made in building. FF know this. If it works out to more social/affordable excellent.

More construction work, more public housing stock and affordable buys. Now likely there'll be brown envelops but sure that's what FG do except FF are more slick about it. If we are doomed to one or the other, the one looking after the struggling tax payer should be in I guess.

“Ireland has third highest quality of life in world, says UN report
    Norway tops the rankings, with the UK in 15th place“ https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ireland-has-third-highest-quality-of-life-in-world-says-un-report-1.4110646

We’re not doing too bad compared to some!

• Advertisement

“Ireland has third highest quality of life in world, says UN report
    Norway tops the rankings, with the UK in 15th place“ https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ireland-has-third-highest-quality-of-life-in-world-says-un-report-1.4110646

We’re not doing too bad compared to some!

Well done Margret Cash, PBP, the LA's and dem that don't want to work!

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's that tax credit that caught their eye. Why would you get tax back for where you live? I like the conditional unintended consequences line.

All I know is if I were a renter I know who I would look favourably upon when an election rolls around compared to who it looks like that wants to keep stiffing me.

All I know is if I were a renter I know who I would look favourably upon when an election rolls around compared to who it looks like that wants to keep stiffing me.
    Otherwise known as election bribery! Guaranteed to make a whole lot of home owners unhappy. Think it's a questionable idea and piece of legislation and the money message might be the right call on it.

Exactly, you have hit the nail on the head, and called it as the election gimmick that it is. Or did you mean that you would fall for this gimmick?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

the only core issue I could see a change in government addressing here, would perhaps be housing. Health, justice etc will always be a farce for many reasons. Nobody will sort out the public or civil servants etc. Housing is one area, where many are being bled dry and SF could potentially sort that. Better than varadkar "sorting" you out, by giving someone on 34k, less than a euro a week back in income tax cuts, two budgets ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,009 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Idbatterim wrote: »
    the only core issue I could see a change in government addressing here, would perhaps be housing. Health, justice etc will always be a farce for many reasons. Nobody will sort out the public or civil servants etc. Housing is one area, where many are being bled dry and SF could potentially sort that. Better than varadkar "sorting" you out, by giving someone on 34k, less than a euro a week back in income tax cuts, two budgets ago!
    See, I was just about to agree 100% with your post, but a SF led government would be a catastrophe for everyone.

I agree with the sentiments in your post, but SF is not the answer. It's like trying to avoid a war by detonating nuclear bombs everywhere. The war is avoided but there's noone left to see it!

Exactly, you have hit the nail on the head, and called it as the election gimmick that it is. Or did you mean that you would fall for this gimmick?

If I were a hard pressed renter I would look upon a 1500 tax credit as recognition of the hardship I was enduring.
    You called it an election gimmick, please don't attribute something to me I never said. It's a pathetic tactic you engage in far to often.

If I were a hard pressed renter I would look upon a 1500 tax credit as recognition of the hardship I was enduring.
    You called it an election gimmick, please don't attribute something to me I never said. It's a pathetic tactic you engage in far to often.

I didn't attribute anything to you, I gave you too options. You take the option of falling for an election gimmick that will increase rents in the longer run, well done.

See, I was just about to agree 100% with your post, but a SF led government would be a catastrophe for everyone.

I agree with the sentiments in your post, but SF is not the answer. It's like trying to avoid a war by detonating nuclear bombs everywhere. The war is avoided but there's noone left to see it!

Do you reckon they'd break records on child homelessness and not bother their arse addressing it?
    Do you reckon they'll crash the economy due to lackluster regulations and the IMF will be called in?
    Do you reckon members will put forward fraudulent compo claims?
    Do you reckon they'll engage in 'inappropriate behaviour' with vulture funds?
    Do you reckon they'll oversee huge cost over runs on public projects and ignore advice on them?
    Do you think they'll favour private business over the tax payers well being?
    Do you think they'll give many major contracts to the one lad?
    Do you think they'll neglect to pay a particular tax for 9 years?
    Do you think one of their member might glass a member of the public in the face over a disagreement on government policy?
    Do you think one of their Councillors might get caught on camera looking for a bribe?
    ...just off the top of my head.

If the answer is yes, well they won't be any worse than what we have now, (FG/FF) or the alternative, (FF/FG) and they might look after the tax payer a little better.

I didn't attribute anything to you, I gave you too options. You take the option of falling for an election gimmick that will increase rents in the longer run, well done.

As I said I'm not a renter so whatever the outcome it's of no consequence to me.

• Advertisement

As I said I'm not a renter so whatever the outcome it's of no consequence to me.

You may recall the loud haw haws from the FG contingent regarding taking the 2011 FG manifesto seriously.
    While we take pre election promises with a pinch of salt the FG boys let us know FG promises are just that.

Do you reckon they'd break records on child homelessness and not bother their arse addressing it?
    Do you reckon they'll crash the economy due to lackluster regulations and the IMF will be called in?
    Do you reckon members will put forward fraudulent compo claims?
    Do you reckon they'll engage in 'inappropriate behaviour' with vulture funds?
    Do you reckon they'll oversee huge cost over runs on public projects and ignore advice on them?
    Do you think they'll favour private business over the tax payers well being?
    Do you think they'll give many major contracts to the one lad?
    Do you think they'll neglect to pay a particular tax for 9 years?
    Do you think one of their member might glass a member of the public in the face over a disagreement on government policy?
    Do you think one of their Councillors might get caught on camera looking for a bribe?
    ...just off the top of my head.

If the answer is yes, well they won't be any worse than what we have now, (FG/FF) or the alternative, (FF/FG) and they might look after the tax payer a little better.

I reckon we'd return to PAYE tax levels from the 80's, rising unemployment due to the loss of 500k jobs directly or indirectly classed as FDI - as SF would raise corporation tax. Everyone on the dole would have free houses and allowances out the wazoo and any idiot like me who was raised with a sense of ambition that has a job will be taxed to the hilt.

I reckon we'd return to PAYE tax levels from the 80's, rising unemployment due to the loss of 500k jobs directly or indirectly classed as FDI - as SF would raise corporation tax. Everyone on the dole would have free houses and allowances out the wazoo and any idiot like me who was raised with a sense of ambition that has a job will be taxed to the hilt.

Better not buy that investment property so, just to be safe. ;-)

Better not buy that investment property so, just to be safe. ;-)
    Yes they would target evil landlords too

Yes they would target evil landlords too

Are landlords evil? Wouldn't know myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Otherwise known as election bribery! Guaranteed to make a whole lot of home owners unhappy. Think it's a questionable idea and piece of legislation and the money message might be the right call on it.

Quick question.

Why, as a homeowner would this make me unhappy?

Quick question.

Wondered myself. Imagine a homeowner whose son or daughter was paying high rent. Would they begrudge their offspring a tax credit to help.

Quick question.

Your disdain for FG overrides it? :D Apart from flirting with renters I can see no reason for it that doesn't scream vote for me/us and we'll give you even more freebies. Never a fan of that type of thing from any party.

Wondered myself. Imagine a homeowner whose son or daughter was paying high rent. Would they begrudge their offspring a tax credit to help.
    How much will this cost taxpayers?

• Advertisement

Your disdain for FG overrides it? :D Apart from flirting with renters I can see no reason for it that doesn't scream vote for me/us and we'll give you even more freebies.

Doesn't answer your claim that homeowners wouldn't be happy. I as a homeowner am indifferent as in the past I received the first time buyers grant.

Advertisement