Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All's not well in FG.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,009 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

riddles wrote: »
    I know this is being recycled but its worth another look.

A breakdown of his pension entitlements will see him get:

€74,140 a year for his six years as Taoiseach;
    €46,336 in a basic TD’s pension
    €6,000 for his time as a junior minister and minister in 1980s and 90s
    €378,000 in termination lump sum payments.

Meaning a pension of 126K a year
    For who?

Bertie?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

God, more weight has been attached to that “people who get up early in the morning” than to any other throwaway remark in a party leadership contest. Varadkar later 'elaborated' on it to encompass anyone with any sort of job:
    “What it refers to is effectively two million people who work in Ireland for a living...It’s the middle class, it’s middle Ireland..."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/leo-and-the-lie-in-taoiseach-gets-up-early-and-exercises-1.3168444

So another empty soundbite not backed with any substance from a Taoiseach accused of soundbite politics without any substance - just like his "we will remove the USC tweet"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

So another empty soundbite not backed with any substance from a Taoiseach accused of soundbite politics without any substance

Given his past record, it seems very naive to me to have ever taken it as anything else, particularly given the context in which he made it.

Given his past record, it seems very naive to me to have ever taken it as anything else, particularly given the context in which he made it.

Its the hope that gets you.....

"Those who get up in the morning" are an open market for a political party

And yet nobody seems interested in catering to that market. Probably too late for a party along those lines to emerge in time for the next GE.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

And yet nobody seems interested in catering to that market. Probably too late for a party along those lines to emerge in time for the next GE.

Some indies, Labour, to an extent. The SD's and Sinn Fein. IMO.
    No party caters for 'dem that don't want to work'. That's just spin by FF/FG.

Some indies, Labour, to an extent. The SD's and Sinn Fein. IMO.

Okay in literal terms, yes, virtually all political parties everywhere seek to cater to 'working people'. But catering to them in the terms envisaged by Idbatterim and ThunbergsAreGo, i.e. mainly by significantly reducing the tax burden, there's nobody coming forward in an Irish context.

Okay in literal terms, yes, virtually all political parties everywhere seek to cater to 'working people'. But catering to them in the terms envisaged by Idbatterim and ThunbergsAreGo, i.e. mainly by significantly reducing the tax burden, there's nobody coming forward in an Irish context.

For me it's value for money. I don't believe FG have my best interests at heart, nor those of other tax payers. I base this on their housing policy and lackluster care on things like the NCH and allocation of state contracts.
    Fianna Fail are crooks. They will build more social and affordable housing, so that puts them above FG on that count IMO. They will likely have some give away budgets but not for societies sake.
    The rest are an unknown AFAIC, but it's high time we rid ourselves of FF/FG even just to see what others might achieve. I'll take that gamble.
    I'm cool with high taxes if we get quality services and the people are put first.

Exactly, it doesn't even have to be a significant reduction, it's giving them something. There are many ways to help working people.

Investment in public transport is a way, why it's taken to till this year to invest in additional rail stock, I'll never know, where do they think all the new houses and people get to work....... And the self congratulations on them actual ordering them really rubbed me up the right way.

I understand this is Ross (who I don't rate) but FG put him there.

It's ok there will be a new recession/green deal along shortly to increase taxes.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭antimatterx

riddles wrote: »
    I know this is being recycled but its worth another look.

A breakdown of his pension entitlements will see him get:

€74,140 a year for his six years as Taoiseach;
    €46,336 in a basic TD’s pension
    €6,000 for his time as a junior minister and minister in 1980s and 90s
    €378,000 in termination lump sum payments.

Meaning a pension of 126K a year - for Enda Kenny

And he deserves it. That man did great work to help this country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Some people in this country have very short memories - or they think others do! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭antimatterx

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Some people in this country have very short memories - or they think others do! :rolleyes:

Care to explain, or just make a bold statement like that without backing you your claims

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Lol
    Care to explain, or just make a bold statement like that without backing you your claims

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

For me it's value for money. I don't believe FG have my best interests at heart, nor those of other tax payers. I base this on their housing policy and lackluster care on things like the NCH and allocation of state contracts.
    Fianna Fail are crooks. They will build more social and affordable housing, so that puts them above FG on that count IMO. They will likely have some give away budgets but not for societies sake.
    The rest are an unknown AFAIC, but it's high time we rid ourselves of FF/FG even just to see what others might achieve. I'll take that gamble.
    I'm cool with high taxes if we get quality services and the people are put first.

soc dems , labour , greens , AAA

all of the above are for more or less open borders , this will hurt working people more in terms of housing and access to public services than any tax cut ever would .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

The news overnight could be good for FG if they can capitalize on it like they have done before.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Calhoun wrote: »
    The news overnight could be good for FG if they can capitalize on it like they have done before.

I don't see that Fine Gael have achieved anything in relation to Brexit. It has been just one big talking shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

I don't see that Fine Gael have achieved anything in relation to Brexit. It has been just one big talking shop.

What did you want them to achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I'll be getting up extra early to vote FG out

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    soc dems , labour , greens , AAA

all of the above are for more or less open borders , this will hurt working people more in terms of housing and access to public services than any tax cut ever would .

Open borders? Does 'more or less' mean if you are wrong, and you are, you get a pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You're actually serious?

- the Irish water debacle
    - the man with 2 pints/soldiers outside banks fantasies
    - scandal after scandal on his watch
    - his habit of going missing when the public pressure got too much, only to reappear later declaring there was nothing to see
    - the TD report cards that never happened, or the 2011 manifesto that largely was a work of fiction
    - the McCabe/Callinan scandal that ultimately led to his resignation
    - the current incompetent Government being the direct result of his private crusade to set personal "records"

That's just off the top of my head. There's many more where that came from.

• Advertisement

You may not but the opinion polls during the time Brexit was going on FG did relatively well. It was also an excuse not to go to elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

They may yet seriously regret that decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

It’s time to give someone else a chance.

This Carbon tax is a step too far for me.

It’s time to give someone else a chance.

This Carbon tax is a step too far for me.

Carbon tax?

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    You're actually serious?

- the Irish water debacle
    - the man with 2 pints/soldiers outside banks fantasies
    - scandal after scandal on his watch
    - his habit of going missing when the public pressure got too much, only to reappear later declaring there was nothing to see
    - the TD report cards that never happened, or the 2011 manifesto that largely was a work of fiction
    - the McCabe/Callinan scandal that ultimately led to his resignation
    - the current incompetent Government being the direct result of his private crusade to set personal "records"

That's just off the top of my head. There's many more where that came from.

And he's still better than Leo

Carbon tax?

Yes???

Yes???

Which one ? the one in the budget or is there another one?

Which one ? the one in the budget or is there another one?

There was already one in our bills.

Now we have another sneaky one at the pumps.

There was already one in our bills.

Now we have another sneaky one at the pumps.

Ah ok, my question was an honest one. With all the recent attacks on solid fuels for heat I thought they introduced something else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

They really take the taxpayer as a bottomless pit of largesse .
    Not just FG but does any politician believe there is a line that should not be crossed?
    Leo Varadkar signed off on former Taoisigh special support plan four months after taking office https://jrnl.ie/4932619

Advertisement