Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All's not well in FG.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Never really cared for politics as such but i have never really disliked a politician as much as leo. He is a pure slim ball imo. Remember a few sketch's apre match done on him trying to sell enda down the road. The man is all about himself. He hates everyone imo. I voted fine gael in the last election as ff messed the country up. But i vote the ff now just to get the slim ball out. It doesn't really matter much what toss pots are in as we cant really do much with the amount of debt we have. But just don't want to hear that slim ball much more. Pure and utter self serving prikk. Fine Gael will lose seats next general election but it will change fuk all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭riddles

2014 Leo

Minister for Health Leo Varadkar has also said he believes that junior bondholders will not receive a payment from the liquidation.

Speaking at an event at Beaumont Hospital, he said he agreed with the Tánaiste on the issue, describing bondholders as being "at the bottom of the pile" when it came to payments.

2018 Leo

Defending the payout to the junior bondholders, Mr Varadkar said that Fine Gael did not put further money into the former Anglo Irish Bank but liquidated it.

More Leo

LEO VARADKAR PERSONALLY signed off on a plan to give former Taoisigh special supports – including VIP airport facilities, increased use of state cars, and the salary of a full-time secretary – just four months after he took office.

Varadkar was told the decision would cost up to €300,000 a year if all Taoisigh took advantage of the full suite of entitlements.

Former Taoisigh include Enda Kenny, Bertie Ahern, Brian Cowen and John Bruton.

The move took place in October 2017 while Varadkar had only taken up office in June.

The document – obtained under FOI – explained the system of supports for former Taoisigh had been introduced in August 2001 but discontinued in March of 2012.

“It would seem reasonable that a former Taoiseach should have access to supports (administrative and otherwise) to support him/her carrying out aspects of work associated with his/her former role which remain after [their] period in office has ceased,” it said.

The memo said that the estimated cost of reintroducing the scheme would be “in the region of €300k” if all ex-Taoisigh availed of it.

“The funding requirement can be met within existing resources,” it said.

Sooooo. FG made a hames of running the country. Who would ye like to see in charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Sooooo. FG made a hames of running the country. Who would ye like to see in charge?

Sure let’s give FF another chance.

300,000 only had to emigrate 10 years ago.

And we only pay 1.5 billion a year for 100 years after been bailed out.

But the overspend on the children’s hospital and a printer is worst.

Oh the e voting machines cost 50 million and were sold off for scrap for 10,000 euro.

Yeah but the printer cost 2 million.

FF are financially prudent.

We go again folks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Oh the e voting machines cost 50 million and were sold off for scrap for 10,000 euro.

We go again folks.

Just a suggestion but why not start your own thread about FF, this thread is about FG

Just a suggestion but why not start your own thread about FF, this thread is about FG

Correction. This thread is about bashing FG.

Correction. This thread is about bashing FG.

It's not, try reading the thread title and the first comment.

Well aren’t FF in government within FG?

Aren’t they gonna be close in the election?

Are we not allowed mention other parties in this thread at all?

It's not, try reading the thread title and the first comment.

I did. Still believe that it’s just a FG bashing thread.

• Advertisement

Along with about another 5 threads.

Well aren’t FF in government within FG?

Aren’t they gonna be close in the election?

Are we not allowed mention other parties in this thread at all?

You have whinged about FF every opportunity you get, just curious as to why you haven't started a thread.

What you believe and reality are two different things.

You have whinged about FF every opportunity you get, just curious as to why you haven't started a thread.

Because I know exactly what will happen.

The usual posters will boycott it to prove a point to someone who is seen as a FG “shill”.

I wouldn’t give you the satisfaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

We go again folks.

Pure whataboutery, how very Fine Gael of you.

Whataboutism, also known as whataboutery, is a variant of the tu quoque logical fallacy that attempts to discredit an opponent's position by charging them with hypocrisy without directly refuting or disproving their argument.[1][2][3] It is particularly associated with Soviet and Russian propaganda.[4][5][6] When criticisms were leveled at the Soviet Union during the Cold War, the Soviet response would often be "What about..." followed by an event in the Western world.[7][8][9] As Garry Kasparov noted, it is a word that was coined to describe the frequent use of a rhetorical diversion by Soviet apologists and dictators, who would counter charges of their oppression, "massacres, gulags, and forced deportations" by invoking American slavery, racism, lynchings, etc.[10] It has been adopted by other politicians and countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/varadkar-rallies-the-troops-as-fine-gael-get-ready-for-snap-poll-in-wake-of-uk-election-38784368.html

Looks like it's go time, if Brexit is orderly and no drama the government will have lost a good tool it had to make it look like it was doing something.

Calhoun wrote: »
    https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/varadkar-rallies-the-troops-as-fine-gael-get-ready-for-snap-poll-in-wake-of-uk-election-38784368.html

Looks like it's go time, if Brexit is orderly and no drama the government will have lost a good tool it had to make it look like it was doing something.

It would be great to have one party win as Boris did.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

FG are going into this election in an oddly similar position to the Conservatives before the UK one, having been in government for nearly a decade in different arrangements with other parties. Although the chances of a similar outcome for FG are in San Marino winning the World Cup territory...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭omega man

Not sure if this is tongue in cheek.
    Anyway no one ever answers this. Generally on social media it’s “give SF a chance, sure it couldn’t be any worse”...

Thankfully it won't happen.

• Advertisement

Thankfully it won't happen.

Why “thankfully”? Wouldn’t it be better to have a single party with an overall majority rather than a mishmash of single policy independents?

Why “thankfully”? Wouldn’t it be better to have a single party with an overall majority rather than a mishmash of single policy independents?

Why? FG and FF have both proved through the years that they cannot be fully trusted. Happily the majority of voters share my opinion.

Why? FG and FF have both proved through the years that they cannot be fully trusted. Happily the majority of voters share my opinion.
    It must be nigh on 40 years since we had a single party with a workable majority.
    I’d say that the last one was a Charlie Haughey led one back in the late 70’s or maybe early 80’s. So we’ve no recent experience of one. 40 odd years of coalition’s and minority governments is a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,443 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

^^ There's been far too much compromise to coalition partners and independents.
    You only have to look at the farcical changes made by the greens, labour screwing over the students they made promises to, Shane Ross and their local garda station, the Healy Raes who are just creaming it off the state etc.

A majority party could be the best thing to ever happen for a long time.
    Only problem is we only have 2 parties capable of that. FF/FG both of whom are either corrupt as hell or even worse incompetent.
    SF would be an absolute disaster for the country hence why no working class would ever vote for them so we don't have much choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I love FG and I'll vote for them always.

But If FF get in and start another boom, I won't be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Firstly, I missed the welcome a new mod thread, so congratulations on the new appointment.

Secondly, you broke your own thread rule half a dozen posts later by mentioning FF.

Thirdly, your comment is factually inaccurate. FF and FG still command over 60% of the support of the electorate, so clearly a majority of voters disagree with your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

What a rock and hard place when every option is ****. I don’t want the slime ball as someone here called him , as Taoiseach and I can’t reward the incompetence anymore. My only hope is that fg initially would look to make some progress on issues , before falling back into the usual complacent/ arrogance of politics. As if any party here will ever properly sort out justice , health , housing etc. the only one that they would touch , is housing , but that could save working people a fortune. What did varadkar do ? Throw a pittance at us in income tax charges while riding us on rents etc ? RAT!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

SAVE-20191214-205720.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

SAVE-20191214-205720.jpg

Hilarious but at the same time illustrates the problem with allot of the opposition. They don't know how to reach the electorate in a meaningful way so its somehow the electorates fault.

In Ireland's case our left side of the house is an absolute mess with no consistent messaging or voice.

Advertisement