Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All's not well in FG.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Seriously why should I take what Colette Brown says, like who is she??

Siteserv no one knows anything about yet.

Why would I talk about those two?

Seems like some deflection from my original post.

I for one don't believe you don't know about Sitserv. So that would be you being dishonest to deflect IMO. Also I wouldn't be jumping in to defend FG at every hands turn if you are so ignorant on their shenanigans.

Pack of lying *****.

Piss off.

It’s a disgrace the lies you both get away with here every day

I wasn’t the one who mentioned siteserv first but your slander and lies go on.

Horrible *****

EDIT- Matt, hope you’re getting great feedback on your FG bot thread.

As a very dear friend of mine often says, you're a spent docket lad.
    We'd another chap get in a terrible huff and stormed off a few months back too, you missed him by a hair.

I think that there’s a huge difference between bad press and biased personal opinion.

TBF MaryAnne84 the great majority of stories about FG are bad. When we try talk about them we get accused of bias. Nobody is telling lies. We are commenting on articles we read and giving an opinion. You should try it rather than looking to the posters perceived intent. Surely any biased negative stories can be defended with out getting all conspiracy theory that people are out to get such and such?

Sure go ahead and demolish the stats again here chief.......Her piece carried links to two different reports which backed up her opinion. Funny though Collette used the same report findings that MA was happy to spam over several threads which you yourself 'thanked'.lol.

When given facts as cited by the UN, disagreeing with the likes of 'billy has five apples therefore there are 3 bananas' and then coming on here claiming he disproved it or something.

I agree with the UN.
    Government helping vulture funds push citizens out of homes - UN
    The United Nations has condemned Ireland for allowing multinational vulture funds to buy up vast swathes of properties and then rent them out at sky-high costs.

The international body hit out at what it called the "egregious" business practices of the giant private equity and investment firms.

It said they were scooping up low-income and affordable homes, upgrading them, and substantially raising rents - forcing tenants out of their own homes.

In the past 12 months alone, hundreds of new apartments distributed across several schemes have been acquired by institutional investors here with a view to offering them to the rental market.

Massive US-backed fund Blackstone has bought and sold rental properties here, including the Elysian tower in Cork.

Canada-backed Ires Reit is the biggest landlord in Ireland, with more than 3,000 houses and apartments.

Los Angeles-based Kennedy Wilson is already a big landlord which recently said it has billions of euro to buy more rental properties. US fund Starwood has put together a consortium to spend €1bn on rental properties.

In the larger cities, the rental market has already been transformed by the presence of cash-rich funds buying up entire apartment blocks and housing estates.

Some of these enjoy extraordinarily low tax bills on rental incomes.

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/government-helping-vulture-funds-push-citizens-out-of-homes-un-37955106.html

The government and LA's need to address this. It's killing the working tax payer's chances of paying his/her own way or ever owning a home of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

As a very dear friend of mine often says, you're a spent docket lad.
    We'd another chap get in a terrible huff and stormed off a few months back too, you missed him by a hair.

He's been extremely narky and aggressive and no one has even said a single unkind word to him.

He's pleading innocence over an apparent crime he was never accused off, constant "I never said that first" spiel, it's a wear out.

• Advertisement

McMurphy wrote: »
    He's been extremely narky and aggressive and no one has even said a single unkind word to him.

He's pleading innocence over an apparent crime he was never accused off, constant "I never said that first" spell, it's a wear out.

That's the point. Fill the thread with arguing and get it closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Surely any biased negative stories can be defended with out getting all conspiracy theory that people are out to get such and such?

This is quite a statement.

You of all people know how ridiculous people can look when they create conspiracy theory threads.

This is quite a statement.

You of all people know how ridiculous people can look when they create conspiracy theory threads.

Listen claptrap, you just proved my point.
    We are commenting on articles we read and giving an opinion. You should try it rather than looking to the posters perceived intent. Surely any biased negative stories can be defended with out getting all conspiracy theory that people are out to get such and such?

Thanks ;)

Quality input as per.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

When given facts as cited by the UN, disagreeing with the likes of 'billy has five apples therefore there are 3 bananas' and then coming on here claiming he disproved it or something.

I agree with the UN.

The government and LA's need to address this. It's killing the working tax payer's chances of paying his/her own way or ever owning a home of their own.

It is not the UN, it is the "SPECIAL RAPPORTEUR ON ADEQUATE HOUSING", a separate independent body from the UN, financed by the UN, equivalent to, say Threshold or the Peter McVerry Trust.

https://ijrcenter.org/un-special-procedures/special-rapporteur-on-adequate-housing/

Again, only 4.6% of Irish tenancies are owned by large-scale landlords (that is a FACT, and not the OPINION of a UN NGO who has heard stories), and the types of organisation being talked about are a small sub-set of those. How something like 2-3% of tenancies can control the market is beyond me.

Keep up with the myth-based opinions.

Listen claptrap, you just proved my point.

Thanks ;)

Quality input as per.

You seem to think that an OPINIONS of a UN rapporteur based on stories that they have heard is somehow FACTS, so you can hardly criticise the quality of anyone else's opinion.

• Advertisement

blanch152 wrote: »
    It is not the UN, it is the "SPECIAL RAPPORTEUR ON ADEQUATE HOUSING", a separate independent body from the UN, financed by the UN, equivalent to, say Threshold or the Peter McVerry Trust.

https://ijrcenter.org/un-special-procedures/special-rapporteur-on-adequate-housing/

Again, only 4.6% of Irish tenancies are owned by large-scale landlords (that is a FACT, and not the OPINION of a UN NGO who has heard stories), and the types of organisation being talked about are a small sub-set of those. How something like 2-3% of tenancies can control the market is beyond me.

Keep up with the myth-based opinions.

They backed the findings of the report. It's UN certified. It's a UN report.
    You never supplied a link. Can you show me where only 4.6% of rented stock is vulture fund owned? I'll accept that, if the body reporting are the UN or of equal stature. You can quite plainly see I base my opinions off of news articles that cite facts and figures so you cannot throw around 'myth-based opinions' in any honesty.
    Special rapporteur, independent expert, and working group member are titles given to individuals working on behalf of the United Nations (UN) within the scope of "special procedure" mechanisms who have a specific country or thematic mandate from the United Nations Human Rights Council.

You seem to think that an OPINIONS of a UN rapporteur based on stories that they have heard is somehow FACTS, so you can hardly criticise the quality of anyone else's opinion.

I supplied many articles and facts. You chose to ignore them all and dismiss the UN. As I said, I'll take the UN over a FG apologist any day.
    Also still waiting, (like numerous others) for you to back up your claims. Specifically the one were people are okay or defending tenants not paying they due rent. So don't come all 'unicorns and rainbows' whilst property speculating in Narnia yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Jake5991

Doesnt matter who you vote for the government always gets in and thats the problem

They backed the findings of the report. It's UN certified.
    You never supplied a link. Can you show me where only 4.6% of rented stock is vulture fund owned? I'll accept that, if the body reporting is are the UN or of equal stature. You can quite plainly see I base my opinions off of news articles that cite facts and figures so you cannot throw around 'myth-based opinions' in any honesty.

Absolutely bizarre and complete lies once again. I did supply a link and you quoted it. Here is the post where you replied to my post which contained the link to the Department of Finance FACTS.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112061013&postcount=92

We know you base your opinion off news articles based on fake news and misguided opinion, which is why we draw you back to the facts time and again, but you run away and ignore the facts and the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

You never supplied a link. Can you show me where only 4.6% of rented stock is vulture fund owned? I'll accept that, if the body reporting are the UN or of equal stature. You can quite plainly see I base my opinions off of news articles that cite facts and figures so you cannot throw around 'myth-based opinions' in any honesty.

You were already provided that information.

In the thread where you wouldn't tell us what a vulture fund is.

If you need it again...

https://assets.gov.ie/...935fb5c21dd666cb.pdf

Do you accept it this time?

Any chance you could enlighten us? What is a vulture fund?

Absolutely bizarre and complete lies once again. I did supply a link and you quoted it. Here is the post where you replied to my post which contained the link to the Department of Finance FACTS.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112061013&postcount=92

We know you base your opinion off news articles based on fake news and misguided opinion, which is why we draw you back to the facts time and again, but you run away and ignore the facts and the questions.

This is a spin document for government. Even accepting it, it goes on to say:
    The perception of institutional investors purchasing large amounts of residential stock probably stems from their activity in the ‘new apartment’ sub-sector. Over 40 per cent of all new apartments are purchased by ‘Financial & Insurance’ and ‘Real Estate’ companies, while over 50
    per cent of new apartments are sold intra-non-household and so are kept within the non-household sector.

It also doesn't specify the number leased or rented from vulture funds by LA's/the state.
    To be clear, both myself and the UN say vulture funds are making things tough for buyers and renters by driving up pricing. You are disputing this by claiming they only own a small percentage of that market.

Even on that side point:
    The purchasing and ownership activity of such firms can, however, be far more pronounced at a local level. Using data from the Residential Tenancies Board, the report shows that, in some Electoral Divisions, the proportion of the rental stock in professional ownership is likely far greater than the national average.

So in short, you are not addressing the opinion I have based on bodies such as the UN and the argument you use to dismiss it is an argument nobody else is making.

How is Fine Gael addressing this? By charging them low taxes. Great bunch of lads.

This is a spin document for government. Even accepting it, it goes on to say:

It also doesn't specify the number leased or rented from vulture funds by LA's/the state.
    To be clear, both myself and the UN say vulture funds are making things tough for buyers and renters by driving up pricing. You are disputing this by claiming they only own a small percentage of that market.

Even on that side point:

So in short, you are not addressing the opinion I have based on bodies such as the UN and the argument you use to dismiss it is an argument nobody else is making.

Nonsense, absolute nonsense.

I am not "claiming" that they only own a small percentage of that market. I am producing hard statistics and hard facts that prove that they only own a small percentage of that market.

You are following the populist headlines and easy answers rather than looking at the hard facts. The hard facts disprove your opinion.

I am not "claiming" that they only own a small percentage of that market. I am producing hard statistics and hard facts that prove that they only own a small percentage of that market.

I never said you lied. Chillax. You made a claim, you supplied a link. Don't let your own pedantry give you high blood pressure.
    You are following the populist headlines and easy answers rather than looking at the hard facts. The hard facts disprove your opinion.

You are following a government document that backs up my assertion, if downplaying it, which the UN also backs.
    Your point has no bearing on mine and does not dispute it.
    If I was arguing on the national average, all or most of the rental properties in Ireland belong to vulture funds, looks like I'd be wrong. But that's your argument, not mine.
    I said they are making it difficult for people to buy. They are. They are buying up entire estates and in some cases renting them to the LA/State. The state/LA is becoming their best customer and the state is charging them low tax for the privilege.
    Both the UN and myself have issue with that.

Any progress on showing folk being okay with council renters not paying their dues?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

You appear to have missed, or your usual conveniently ignored, that a report from the Residential Tenancy Board that in some Electoral Divisions the proportion of the rental stock in professional ownership is likely far greater than the national average.
    Sheer coincidence I imagine that those Electoral Divisions are in high pressure rental areas.

As I have mentioned to you on more than one occasion, you do have a strange habit of directing people at these beautiful forests of yours while hoping they will not notice the rotten trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Supermacs expanding? Nice.

What a horrible comment. Looking down on a whole range of people in one swoop

• Advertisement

What a horrible comment. Looking down on a whole range of people in one swoop

How so? I've worked in fast food. Why do you assume it's a slur on the workers, do you look down on fast food workers? Not high quality, high paying jobs mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Ardent

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Fine Gael will get some doing in Rural Ireland next time round . Their Dublin Dublin Dublin focus and their head in the sand approach to traveller crime in Rural Ireland carry on will see them lose many rural votes which will cost them quite a few seats .

Don't forget the broadband debacle.

Ardent wrote: »
    Don't forget the broadband debacle.

They found a way to negate that in Mayo, or should I say Michael Ring found a way to buy a few votes.

A road costing 241M.
    Gonna be a super duper road I imagine seeing the price has risen over 40% in the past year alone.

I see Varadkar is glad she didn't get elected.
    Interesting photo though:

00131c8f-1600.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Varadker is an indecisive ****tard. As unprincipled as you can get and goes in whatever way the wind blows.

Awful Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

So he is not allowed to change his mind, yes what we need is a leader who will never reconsider! That's true leadership lol.

So he is not allowed to change his mind, yes what we need is a leader who will never reconsider! That's true leadership lol.

He said he thought she was a bad choice, based on her comments. After she made the comments he canvassed with her to try help her win. After she lost, he's glad she lost. That's not changing your mind, that's playing both sides and as with Dara Murphy, pretending to grow a set of ethics, after the fact.

I`m not sure changing your mind after the event qualifies as true leadership though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Changed his mind?

He did the equivalent of picking a number between one and ten, and when his number wasn't pulled out of the hat, go on to say he meant a different number.

That's not changing ones mind, that's seeing which way the wind blows.

He apparently was against SSM (which I can't get my head around, him being gay and all) presumably because of traditional conservative fine Gael voters, right up until the referendum was announced and when it was clear it would pass with a landslide.

He's a populist indecisive chancer.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I remember Leo when FF were in power. The running joke is that he was the opposition spokesman for everything! They could not keep him away from a microphone no matter what the topic was. I did have great hopes for him back then.

Advertisement