Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All's not well in FG.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

When was the last time a government party won a bye election?
    Its a rare thing. Too much read into this election imo.

BUT that is not to say FG shouldnt be worried.

FG have done some good things:

Economy is good
    Good relationship with Europe
    Did very good work with Brexit
    Debt paid down

Housing and Health are the obvious issues for most people, but when has health never been in crisis and in fairness, housing seems to be turning a bit as well. There are lots to blame for both. The government are not the Chinese Communist party and cannot issue dictats to get things done. This is Ireland, decisions about policy takes years and years, never mind their implementation.

I am dissapointed about public transport and infrastructure. They need to be more forthright about high density housing, the metro, bus connects things like that in my opinion. But again, this is Ireland..

As to the next GE, as I mentioned the next government will either be a coalition or a minority government, so the same issues will still be there.
    Someone mentioned a donkey in a field would be better than FG, I think this shows you the stupidity, ignorance and lack of any understanding on how policy is formed, discussed and implimented.

This is who FG are trying to 'please'. Of course, they offer no solutions or alternatives themselves, but regale us time and time again on how 'bad FG' are...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

markodaly wrote: »
    As to the next GE, as I mentioned the next government will either be a coalition or a minority government, so the same issues will still be there.
    Someone mentioned a donkey in a field would be better than FG, I think this shows you the stupidity, ignorance and lack of any understanding on how policy is formed, discussed and implimented.

This is who FG are trying to 'please'. Of course, they offer no solutions or alternatives themselves, but regale us time and time again on how 'bad FG' are...

Yeah but how do you try to justify the €3000 per month Dundrum social housing scandal?
    If FG continue along this path, there will be unrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Agree with a few of your points , not on this one. There has to be some leadership and direction. Unpopular decisions. All that they seek here is concencus , it’s just causes total paralysis!

Yeah but how do you try to justify the €3000 per month Dundrum social housing scandal?

Getting my sign ready soon. “No politicians , especially not Fg” going on the front gate.

I’d honestly say fg performance has been relati poorer than ff, and I mean fg before and during the crash. Ff weren’t the ones trying to sell out a large amount of workers here as lifelong serfs to pension funds etc. total scum Fg. They lied about rewarding workers. Thinking soundbytes and no action would keep on working. Hard to believe how long that bull**** actually did last ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

I think this shows you the stupidity, ignorance and lack of any understanding on how policy is formed, discussed and implemented.

There's the classic FG arrogance and contempt, mentioned several times in this thread. FF think the same but they keep it to themselves and throw a few breadcrumbs to the people every now and then, cynical c*nts that they are.

The solution or alternative of nicely asking Google, Apple and all the other multinational corporations in Ireland to pay the modest rate of tax they're supposed to be paying is frequently offered by many on the other side of the Dail and frequently refused by FG.

It seems FG and FF get to decide who and what is credible and if you suggest an alternative, you're the "loony left". The housing crisis sponsored by FG seems a bit loony and immoral.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

Some "loony left" suggestions from the Irish Independent, of all papers. Housing crisis must be bad:

Home truths: Could housing be the rallying call to oust Fine Gael?
    While the left wing has always demanded state-built social housing in numbers, the right of centre might be coming to that argument too on the basis that eternally increasing rents and more big-fund involvement has led to the tax payer increasingly shelling out more rent to the private sector in social housing payments. State built and held social housing could be a better option commercially.

Even the utterly market-motivated are starting to wonder why the tax payer is paying out to profit landlords. And against this background, state-built and owned housing stock is starting to look like an investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,567 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Some "loony left" suggestions from the Irish Independent, of all papers. Housing crisis must be bad:

Its clearly obvious that our approach to housing and accommodation is catastrophically failing, and the disturbing thing is, we ve decided the only solution is to do the exact same thing as we have been trying to do for the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Getting my sign ready soon. “No politicians , especially not Fg” going on the front gate.

I’d honestly say fg performance has been relati poorer than ff, and I mean fg before and during the crash. Ff weren’t the ones trying to sell out a large amount of workers here as lifelong serfs to pension funds etc. total scum Fg. They lied about rewarding workers. Thinking soundbytes and no action would keep on working. Hard to believe how long that bull**** actually did last ...

This article is from 2010 showing how FIANNA FAIL wasted 10 billion of tax payers money.

More than €1bn of taxpayers' money has been wasted every year since Fianna Fail came to power 10 years ago, a Sunday Independent investigation reveals.

We can show that since Fianna Failtook office a decade ago, more than €1bn of taxpayers' money has been wasted annually.

A list of failed projects, delayed works, bloated bureaucracy and poor management have all led to more than €10bn being squandered in the last 10 years.

Taxpayers' money has been squandered by every Government department including €100m on the abandoned Stadium Campus Ireland project, the €471m overrun on the Luas, the €150m overspend on the Port Tunnel, as well as almost a €1bn wasted on the Government's botched de-centralisation policy.

Apart from the overspends and underestimation in the cost of the Port Tunnel and the two Luas lines that don't link up, and the chaos that is the M50, Ireland's road building projects since 1997 have collectively cost €3.2bn more than what was originally forecast, according to our figures.

Opposition parties, hospital patient groups and leading economists have said that institutional waste during a time of plenty and the failure to deliver a first world infrastructure is endangering Ireland's competitiveness internationally.

One of the key areas is the health service. Its funding has increased from €3.2bn in 1997 to almost €13bn this year. Despite this massive injection since 1997, the Health Service Executive, which employs 70,000 people and 36,000 indirectly, is now closing wards and has introduced a freeze on new employees.

The closure of a 10-bed ward in Nenagh hospital is just one of a number of high-profile ward shutdowns in recent weeks. The Irish Patients Association has said cuts and ward closures currently being enforced by the HSE are unforgivable.

Steve McMahon of the Irish Patients Association said: "It is an organisation rife with institutionalised bureaucracy. When they formed the HSE in 2005 they should have introduced a redundancy package and cleared their ranks.

Some people here saying FIANNA FÁIL don’t overspend!!!!!!!!

What age are you? I’m not been smart but seems some people here are too young to remember just how bad FF were at everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,505 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

What happening in FG is the same all governments who are there a long time in any democracy things are slipping a bit, getting a bit complacent.

Then trow in the fact that there is an election coming up which is bringing out all sorts of issues that groups want focus on and all sorts of groups who are making a grab for some money while they can keep the pressure on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

To be fair, that's a local council issue. There's nobody in the Dail signing off on that kind of crap.

The root cause is the same though, and the same reason why O'Devaney Gardens was sold to private funds; national government is refusing to release sufficient funds for public housing builds, so councils are being forced to make do with what's available.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

FG have less than a third of councillors in DLR.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Reading this morning that FG are praying that all hands can make it to Dublin this evening for the no confidence motion ref E Murphy, and they will be relying on the likes of Noel "Nigeria" And Peter Fitzpatrick to support them.

I'd expect Murphy to survive the motion, but it's going to be extremely tight apparently, with one report saying ministers are having to return home from abroad, and fg are praying that no-one drops dead or takes ill, that's how close things are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

mariaalice wrote: »
    What happening in FG is the same all governments who are there a long time in any democracy things are slipping a bit, getting a bit complacent.

Then trow in the fact that there is an election coming up which is bringing out all sorts of issues that groups want focus on and all sorts of groups who are making a grab for some money while they can keep the pressure on.
    The national broadband scheme is a repeat of the mobile phone license.
    I'm sure it will keep the lawyers busy for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The national broadband scheme is a repeat of the mobile phone license.
    I'm sure it will keep the lawyers busy for years.
    I don't think it is as bidders just withdrew from a transparent process. It's actually Eir suddenly finding they could connect a lot more people that made it unviable to some. What's not ideal about the awarding of the contract is that there was only one bidder left standing

The solution or alternative of nicely asking Google, Apple and all the other multinational corporations in Ireland to pay the modest rate of tax they're supposed to be paying is frequently offered by many on the other side of the Dail and frequently refused by FG.

If you think that would actually work, then have at it.

How am I justifying that? That was a local council issue, not a government issue. FG do not have a majority there either and by the way, I totally condemn that action. Spending money on prime real estate to be given out for social housing is a joke and I would like to see the councilors who signed off on it.

Reading this morning that FG are praying that all hands can make it to Dublin this evening for the no confidence motion ref E Murphy, and they will be relying on the likes of Noel "Nigeria" And Peter Fitzpatrick to support them.

I'd expect Murphy to survive the motion, but it's going to be extremely tight apparently, with one report saying ministers are having to return home from abroad, and fg are praying that no-one drops dead or takes ill, that's how close things are.
    He’d be better off out of housing. Nobody in their right mind would want to touch it. He’s doing the perfect jobs for those with no faces , with power that love the current scenario!

Well if there is an election on Christmas Eve you can thank the opposition. They are hoping as well I imagine secretly that all FG TD's make it as they will not be thanked on the doorsteps.

The numbers have always been tight, and they are just that bit tighter.
    There will NOT be an election in the next month. It will be March-May next year.

How am I justifying that? That was a local council issue, not a government issue. FG do not have a majority there either and by the way, I totally condemn that action. Spending money on prime real estate to be given out for social housing is a joke and I would like to see the councilors who signed off on it.

The Government decides the expenditure from the Local Government Fund each year as part of the budgetary process. So in other words if a local authority is pissing away money like it grows on trees, Eoghan Murphy is ultimately responsible for this situation.

• Advertisement

The Government decides the expenditure from the Local Government Fund each year as part of the budgetary process. So in other words if a local authority is pissing away money like it grows on trees, Eoghan Murphy is ultimately responsible for this situation.

Some roundabout logic there.

Eoghan Murphy is responsible for the fact that Dun Laoghaire Rathdown council approved the use of Herbert Hill apartments for social housing.... even though he didn't vote for it, nor mandated it, nor even advised it.

There is plenty to blame him for but that is just stupid logic.

Some roundabout logic there.

Eoghan Murphy is responsible for the fact that Dun Laoghaire Rathdown council approved the use of Herbert Hill apartments for social housing.... even though he didn't vote for it, nor mandated it, nor even advised it.

There is plenty to blame him for but that is just stupid logic.

So you are saying that a council has a blank cheque to do what they want with the local government fund allocated to them as long as the council members decide? Now that is stupid logic. I can see how Murphy would be inclined to wash his hands of the Herbert Hill decision. But it is in his remit to get the best value for taxpayers money as minister for housing. And this is anything but good value for taxpayers money.

So you are saying that a council has a blank cheque to do what they want with the local government fund allocated to them as long as the council members decide?

You are struggling and it is showing.

The fact that DLR council agreed to the Herbert Hill plan, which is going to cost them €2.1 Million a year for 25 years shows that money was not the main roadblock here.

They also reduced LPT by 15% which reduced their income further.
    Now that is stupid logic. I can see how Murphy would be inclined to wash his hands of the Herbert Hill decision. But it is in his remit to get the best value for taxpayers money as minister for housing. And this is anything but good value for taxpayers money.

If you can show me anywhere, where Eoghan Murphy endorsed, approved, or voted for that plan by all means do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭golfball37

Well if there is an election on Christmas Eve you can thank the opposition. They are hoping as well I imagine secretly that all FG TD's make it as they will not be thanked on the doorsteps.

The numbers have always been tight, and they are just that bit tighter.
    There will NOT be an election in the next month. It will be March-May next year.

Why should there be an election? Can a poor minister not be removed and the current govt carry on? Thats what happens in proper functioning democracies.
    FF will not be getting my vote if they abstain tonight. This guy has to go its beyond a joke at this stage how poor he is at his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Completely off topic,

But everytime I read the thread tittle, I miss read
    "Ali G in FG"

I'll leave now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

golfball37 wrote: »
    Why should there be an election? Can a poor minister not be removed and the current govt carry on? Thats what happens in proper functioning democracies.
    FF will not be getting my vote if they abstain tonight. This guy has to go its beyond a joke at this stage how poor he is at his job.
    Is this Eoghan Murphy?

I am starting to suspect that he has the job on looks!

golfball37 wrote: »

He’s in the job 2 years.

It probably takes longer to finish a small housing estate.

What do people actually expect?

Click fingers and houses appear?

Ask anyone in the trade, there is a shortage of electricians, plumbers, laborers etc.

There all still in oz and New Zealand from the last crash.

There isn’t enough people to build these houses.

The most houses and social houses are to be built this year than the last 10 years.

But once Jacinta gets into paper crying for her forever home people lap it up and want heads to roll.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yet if they did nothing the rent a mob would be complaining about no childrens hospital for de childer, joe.

They could have, you know, listened to independent expert advice on the location being totally unsuitable in terms of
    1. Ambulance access
    2. Parent access
    3. Children access from outside Dublin
    4. External residence options, for parents
    5. Site size
    6. Access to Motorway Network
    7. Ease of build

So, instead of building at Blanch or Tallaght, they tried to pull a political stunt and build in D8 James's.
    Yeah how is that going?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

He’s in the job 2 years.

It probably takes longer to finish a small housing estate.

What do people actually expect?

Click fingers and houses appear?

Ask anyone in the trade, there is a shortage of electricians, plumbers, laborers etc.

There all still in oz and New Zealand from the last crash.

There isn’t enough people to build these houses.

The most houses and social houses are to be built this year than the last 10 years.

But once Jacinta gets into paper crying for her forever home people lap it up and want heads to roll.

Well actually, i am involved in house building. Theres a shortage of labour alright but not massively so. The problem is the margins are too tight on the sale price of the houses. Honestly, its not worth it.

• Advertisement

They could have, you know, listened to independent expert advice on the location being totally unsuitable in terms of
    1. Ambulance access
    2. Parent access
    3. Children access from outside Dublin
    4. External residence options, for parents
    5. Site size
    6. Access to Motorway Network
    7. Ease of build

So, instead of building at Blanch or Tallaght, they tried to pull a political stunt and build in D8 James's.
    Yeah how is that going?

Imagine they built in blanch which is Leo’s constituency?

There would be all sorts of uproar.

There was experts brought in and years of planning went into it.

Read the report. It’s the dolphin report.

Who’s these independent experts you're on about?

Advertisement