Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Game Awards for 2019 ** Results! **

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Voted for the outer worlds and outer wilds

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Quiet for the last few hours so I closed it up. Results to follow....

Results for 2019.
    Where two games are listed for a category, it was a tie for first.

Best PS4 Game (Retail)
    Sekiro

Best PS4 Game (Download Only)
    Outer Wilds

Best Xbox One Game (Download Only)
    Outer Wilds (Wins by default)

Best Xbox One Game (Retail)
    Jedi Fallen Order

Best Switch Game (Retail)
    Luigi's Mansion 3

Best Switch Game (Download Only)
    Untitled Goose Game
    Tetris 99

Best PC Game (Retail)
    Sekiro
    Control

Best PC Game (Download Only)
    Outer Wilds

Best iOS Game
    Grindstone
    Sayonara Wild Hearts

Best Android Game
    No Nominees

Best VR Game
    No Mans Sky VR
    Blood & Truth

Fun: Best Character
    The Goose - Untitled Goose Game

Fun: Best Story
    Outer Wilds

Fun: Best Boss Fight
    Resident Evil 2 - Mr X

Fun: Best Music
    Outer Wilds

Fun: Best Sound
    Resident Evil 2

Fun: Hottest Female
    Claire Redfield (RE2 Remake)

Fun: Hottest Male
    Mr. X - Resident Evil 2

Fun: Best Art Design
    Outer Wilds

Fun: Best Game Design
    Outer Wilds

Fun: Best Graphics
    Death Stranding

Fun: Pleasant Surprise
    Outer Wilds
    Jedi Fallen Order

Fun: Biggest Disappointment
    Anthem

Fun: WTF Were They Thinking Award
    Fallout 76 Subcription

Fun: Most Anticipated Game for 2020
    Cyberpunk 2077

Overall: Best Racing
    Need for Speed Heat (Wins by default)

Overall: Best Sports
    PES 2020 (Wins by default)

Overall: Best Action/Adventure
    Outer Wilds
    Sekiro

Overall: Best RPG
    Outer Worlds

Overall: Online Game of the Year
    Apex Legends

Overall: Best DLC/Add-On Content
    Days Gone - 12 free challenge modes and special bike customisations

Overall: Best Strategy/Puzzle
    Outer Wilds

Overall: Best Downloadable (non-Retail) Game
    Outer Wilds

Overall: Game of the Year 2019
    Outer Wilds

Breakdown:

Outer Wilds: 12 wins
    Resident Evil 2: 4 wins
    Sekiro: 3 wins
    Untitled Goose Game: 2 wins
    Jedi Fallen Order: 2 wins

• Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Well I'm happy Days Gone won something :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Thank you again Mr. E for taking the time to organise this.

I'm so happy for Outer Wilds, truly deserves that recognition.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That glorious list of Outer Wilds (plus some other games) is the kind of unambiguous clean sweep I can live with.

• Did folks just vote for outer wilds in every game category as a piss take lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Despite the sever and distressing lack of Ace Combat 7 I can live with most of these.

Big head scratchers were Jedi fallen order winning anything. It's Meh Souls with a crap story. And pleasant surprise? I expected much much better from the titanfall 2 Dev. Was very disappointed.

Best soundtrack... I think Ace Combat 7 and sayonnara wild hearts were clear winners but not a bad choice

Best DLC add-on... More boring days gone is a poor choice when the ace Combat 7 dlc missions were insanely high quality and also people forgot the excellent resi 2 scenarios that were also at the great price of free.

Also the WTF award... Ace combats dog.jpg made me laugh a lot but really wish it had gone to any of the morally corrupt companies taking China's side. **** the Chinese government.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Did folks just vote for outer wilds in every game category as a piss take lol

No it's amazing and well deserving of it.

• Advertisement

Retro, wait till mass effect 2 wins game of the decade :)

Mass effect deserves to with best MRPG. Best meh rpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It is heartening to see Outer Wilds outperform so dramatically relative to its profile. The nature of polls such as this is that very well-known games will often dominate - it’s just the nature of the beast. So a small indie game just completely sweeping almost every category is always good to see. It helps, it should be said, that it’s truly an all-time great - the best game won :)

Also, kudos to Mr E for organising as ever!

Cheers guys. I'll compile the "Best of the Decade" awards survey this week (compiled from the last 10 years awards)
    I did the last decade awards too. Jesus have I been doing it that long? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Big head scratchers were Jedi fallen order winning anything. It's Meh Souls with a crap story.

I think it did well partially because people were surprised it was actually a good single player Star Wars game from EA. It's not perfect by any measure, but it's got some fun Lightsaber mechanics, and that's what a lot of people just want in a game.

I'd love to see a modern version of KOTR with better gameplay.

Also it looks like I may have to pick up The Outer Wilds.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I think it did well partially because people were surprised it was actually a good single player Star Wars game from EA. It's not perfect by any measure, but it's got some fun Lightsaber mechanics, and that's what a lot of people just want in a game.

Have to agree. It was definitely my pleasant surprise of the year. It didn't do anything particularly great, but I still enjoyed the hell out of it, and given that it's from an EA studio, the lack of anything resembling lootboxes, microtransactions, forced online/social aspects etc meant you could really just play an enjoyable, single player, Star Wars Jedi story. I enjoyed pretty much all the time I spent with it (bar some of the backtracking through levels cleaning up collectibles for the platinum, pretty much my only big gripe with the game).

I think playing through Dark Forces and starting xwing reminded me that star wars used to be amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Did Outer Wilds win every category it was in?

Did Outer Wilds win every category it was in?

Not sure but it could/should have also won in categories it wasn't in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Not sure but it could/should have also won in categories it wasn't in.

Best overall game of the year 2019 that wasn't Outer Wilds:
    Winner: Outer Wilds

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Seriously don't get the love for Outer Wilds. Played it for hours wandering around translating things, very boring game.

ShaneU wrote: »
    Seriously don't get the love for Outer Wilds. Played it for hours wandering around translating things, very boring game.

Play Ace combat 7 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

ShaneU wrote: »

Outer Wilds is the best game I have I ever played.
    It is an open-world-solar-system exploration based emergent-story driven game that gave you full freedom with were to go, but required reasonable space-ship, platforming and puzzle solving skills to get there, all in a package that can polished off in about 15 hours.
    You can follow the obvious checkpoints and encounter the story that way or literally just pick something that looks interesting and see what you can see there and allow the story to emerge around you and bring you place to place.

It has better storytelling than the best walking simulators, and with actual gameplay behind it.
    It has the most truly open-"world" environment I've ever played, but with a clear record of where you've been, what you've done, what you know and were you need to go, all without any filler.
    It is what videogames have been trying to do since day 1 - give you a complete storytelling and gameplay experience, balancing gameplay freedom with a story driven by your own curiosity. No levels or leveling, just the questions of "What happened?" and "What is happening?", your reward being your curiosity satisfied.
    It is damn near perfect and it is the most artistically perfect game ever made.

Advertisement