Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GoMo to end €9.99 per month for life offer [Now €12.99]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

Premium rate numbers can be blocked on the site. Not sure about MMS messages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Just had a look at my daughter's bill and she was charged 4 X 30c for MMS to email?

Not even sure what it is but would rather block it if I can.

Anyone here know how to go about it?
    Thanks.
    And the same with MMS through text message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Price is 3 cent per MB in the USA (so twice the price of Vodafone). If you will be a heavier data user while in the USA pick up a 3 UK sim on Ebay, e.g. here. :)

Just on that Three UK sim - it says it has to be activated in the UK before it will work for roaming, do you know if the ebay one is pre-activated, or can you activate it from the republic?

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Just on that Three UK sim - it says it has to be activated in the UK before it will work for roaming, do you know if the ebay one is pre-activated, or can you activate it from the republic?

I bought a 3 UK sim on Ebay a few years ago and it worked in Ireland and then abroad elsewhere, no idea if activation was necessary or done in the UK. Probably best to message the particular seller to see if that's currently necessary and to see if they do it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Shpongler

I got one on ebay just before Christmas and activated it in Ireland. Worked perfectly in the U.S

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fast_eddie

Yes, you can activate from RoI by going to the 3 UK website in a browser.

Then you can test the SIM in a phone in RoI before going to the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

tv3tg4 wrote: »
    Premium rate numbers can be blocked on the site. Not sure about MMS messages

I had to contact GoMo support to get them to block Premium SMS numbers from my daughter's account after she was charged €30 extra over the last two bills for unsolicited messages (and despite sending a STOP termination text).

Edit: Messages were from 57977

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Just had a look at my daughter's bill and she was charged 4 X 30c for MMS to email?

Thanks.

Check if you can delete the MMS APN from the phone. This should prevent the phone from being able to send them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

What might the MMS APN be? :confused:

Sorry, but it's like another language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Nforce wrote: »
    I had to contact GoMo support to get them to block Premium SMS numbers from my daughter's account after she was charged €30 extra over the last two bills for unsolicited messages (and despite sending a STOP termination text).

Complain to Comreg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

Thanks.

I don't think MMS messages are free on GOMO. If your daughter sends a text with an emoji smiley face etc it could now be considered as a chargeable MMS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Qrt

ROVER wrote: »
    I don't think MMS messages are free on GOMO. If your daughter sends a text with an emoji smiley face etc it could now be considered as a chargeable MMS

Regular emojis are Unicode afaik so they’re just SMSs

JTMan wrote: »
    Complain to Comreg.

Probably not worth my time or effort. Premium MMS are blocked on the account now, so I'm happy out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I joined gomo and ported my number but after moving house I can't get gomo reception... If I move to VF and port my number can I keep gomo for data and does it then revert back to the original gomo number?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I joined gomo and ported my number but after moving house I can't get gomo reception... If I move to VF and port my number can I keep gomo for data and does it then revert back to the original gomo number?

If you move your number you are cancelling your account so will need to sign up again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Qrt wrote: »
    Regular emojis are Unicode afaik so they’re just SMSs

I think if you send an SMS to more than one person it can send a MMS.

wingnut wrote: »

Definitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭lau1247

If you send a very long text the equivalent of more than 10 sms (10 x 144 characters). It automatically change to mms. I see this on my phone send button where it indicated that it is mms.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bromley52

lau1247 wrote: »
    If you send a very long text the equivalent of more than 10 sms (10 x 144 characters). It automatically change to mms. I see this on my phone send button where it indicated that it is mms.

Wow. In my roughly 20 years with a phone I'd say my longest text was 3 x 144.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭lau1247

bromley52 wrote: »
    Wow. In my roughly 20 years with a phone I'd say my longest text was 3 x 144.

Yeah I know.. most people just use Whatsapp.

I discovered it by chance recently.. who knows, maybe someone will have the need for sending message over 10x standard text limit. :)

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Can't you also send low quality pictures over mms?
    The service is from a time when internet services on phones were so limited that mms actually had a use.
    It should be disabled at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

How can one disable MMS?

Mr.S wrote: »
    I mean really, do you actually send 10x144 texts!?

Can't even remember the last time I sent a SMS :eek:

I still use them daily. Messages just come through without having to put my data or WiFi on, it’s great.

Definitely.
    So more than 1 recipient at a time is a problem? Great to know, will pass it on to her.

A few cent extra on a bill isn't a big deal but obviously it'd be better to send the same text twice, or else stick to WA or Messenger.
    Thanks.

Mr.S wrote: »
    But why turn data / wifi off? :confused:

I don’t like my phone going off all the time.

I don’t like my phone going off all the time.

Put it on silent or do not disturb mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭webpal

So a normal text that's sent to 2 or people is charged? Where do you see this?

Put it on silent or do not disturb mode.

Nah, i have sounds off for everything except SMS and Calls so I leave silent off, plus my phone is no spring chicken these days, data f*cks the battery.

Some phones will do this by default unless you change it in settings.

• Advertisement

How can one disable MMS?

Delete the MMS APN settings from your phone.

Probably not worth my time or effort. Premium MMS are blocked on the account now, so I'm happy out.

Do you mean all sending/receiving MMS are now blocked? An MMS sent from your phone wouldn't be a premium MMS.

Quackster wrote: »
    Delete the MMS APN settings from your phone.

My dd MMS APN is coming up as mms.mymeteor.ie but there's no option to delete it! Do you mean that I should physically remove this text from the APN textbox?

My dd MMS APN is coming up as mms.mymeteor.ie but there's no option to delete it! Do you mean that I should physically remove this text from the APN textbox?

That should work too. Try creating an additional blank dummy APN. Set that as the MMS APN and then try deleting the Eir one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭macwal

You should try to find out the name of the company, and get them to refund your money.

Same thing happened to myself over a year ago, and my mother a short while after that. I initially contacted 3 about it, and they gave me the company details. I don't know if it was the same company as the ones who billed you, but a quick google of the number you posted shows lots of other people with the same problem.

Once I contacted the company, it was just a couple of e-mail exchanges, and then the money was refunded to my PayPal account, though they also offered to pay to a bank account. And it was about half of what you were charged, so don't let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

When you switch from Vodafone
    Do you need to enter any apn settings?

On 4G but only getting 1.5mg down

When you switch from Vodafone
    Do you need to enter any apn settings?

On 4G but only getting 1.5mg down

I didn't need to change anything.
    For most GOMO will be much slower than Vodafone they don't seem to have as many masts or as much capacity. Some will be lucky and will live close to a mast with low number of users.
    It's still amazing value but it's really only for people who need some basic data on the go. If you're in a rural area test speeds as you get to more built up areas that have more masts.
    This service is not designed to replace your home broadband solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

tuxy wrote: »
    For most GOMO will be much slower than Vodafone they don't seem to have as many masts or as much capacity. Some will be lucky and will live close to a mast with low number of users.
    It's still amazing value but it's really only for people who need some basic data on the go. If you're in a rural area test speeds as you get to more built up areas that have more masts.

Correct, it's usually very sufficient but nothing high speed. For the price,it's excellent and does what most want it to do. I am rarely out or reception

Quackster wrote: »
    Do you mean all sending/receiving MMS are now blocked? An MMS sent from your phone wouldn't be a premium MMS.

GoMo have blocked premium MMS on the account, sending and receiving. It's my teenage daughter's phone so I presume standard mms is available, but she'd be using WhatsApp etc anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭blade1

When it's good it's good!

Screenshot-20200126-184243.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ash2020

Brutal in D24 tallaght on a samsung s9

Yup, some people will get lucky like but you will be in the minority.
    That's outstanding speed for 4G the fastest I have ever got was 140Mbs on Vodafone.
    I find that large service stations off the motorway when they are not really busy are great for speed.

If you are in a built up area with few Eir masts near you then you can't expect much at peak times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Yup, some people will get lucky like but you will be in the minority.
    That's outstanding speed for 4G the fastest I have ever got was 140Mbs on Vodafone.
    I find that large service stations off the motorway when they are not really busy are great for speed.

If you are in a built up area with few Eir masts near you then you can't expect much at peak times.

Routinely getting good 4G and 5G speeds across Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Routinely getting good 4G and 5G speeds across Dublin

5G? On GOMO?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

5G? On GOMO?
    Limited speeds it seems but yes it's there for me across a lot of south Dublin on GOMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Personally find it essentially unusable. OK sometimes on 4G but 3G unusable. Life's too short.

Personally find it essentially unusable. OK sometimes on 4G but 3G unusable. Life's too short.

Unusable where though?
    Mine is unusable in my house but I'm using my home broadband over wifi there.
    Everywhere else I've tried has been acceptable.
    In my rural area it's only small pockets where it's very slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Unusable where though?
    Mine is unusable in my house but I'm using my home broadband over wifi there.
    Everywhere else I've tried has been acceptable.
    In my rural area it's only small pockets where it's very slow.

Anywhere it drops to 3G. Routine time outs loading pages. Have never had that issue on Vodafone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭webpal

webpal wrote: »
    So a normal text that's sent to 2 or people is charged? Where do you see this?

Just checked last months bill as I sent a couple of messages to 2 or more people st the same time and they are down as normal sms all sent at the same time

webpal wrote: »
    Just checked last months bill as I sent a couple of messages to 2 or more people st the same time and they are down as normal sms all sent at the same time

I think it depends on your phone tbh

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement