Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on upgrading a 3570K?

Options
  • 02-12-2019 1:58pm
    Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭

I recently upgraded to a new Ryzen 3700x and a 5700XT system. All working well so far.

I've the part of a second PC spare that I intend to send down to family home.

As it stands I have a 3570K, plus a motherboard, 8GB DDR3 Ram and cooler.
    I also have a Vega 56 GPU.

I'm targeting 1080p @60fps gaming at max or close to max settings. I think the GPU will cover me for a few more years. Debating the CPU. The 3570k has served me well over the years, great value CPU but I think we are getting to the point that a 4 core unthreaded CPU is going to struggle going forward.

The only upgrade path I have on the old motherboard is a 3770K. Slightly faster clock speed but it does have 4 more threads. Looking at benchmarks on youtube it seems to give a boost of around 10-15 frames in most games over the 3570K.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

CEX will trade-in 3570K for €27, bringing upgrade cost to €68 (they have 3770K for €95).
    Cheap enough upgrade for a machine you'll only be playing on occasionally.

Alternatively, you could try selling the 3570K, RAM & mobo and go for something more efficient, e.g. a Ryzen 1500X.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I wouldn't bother. That i5 machine is more than capable at 1080p 60fps. Max settings is also relative, are we talking CS:GO or Battlefield 4? Give the i5 a little overclock and it'll tip away for another few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

An 4c/4t i5 will struggle with a decent amount of games now,not nessacerily in max framerate but with minimums and things like stutter.

I think the 3770K is a nice idea to keep a system like that ticking over,especially if ye have no real interest in rebuilding it.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

That's what I was thinking EoinHef. Then I start thinking about moving it to 16GB ram as well for the same reason, to improve the minimum FPS.

I think I will move to a 3770K and just keep an eye out for another 8GB of ram down the road.

Now just need to pick a 1080p monitor. Thinking 24" with Freesync support. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Yeah it definitely will not tip away for another few years, it's tipping away terribly as it is! a 3570k is pretty much unusable in a lot of new demanding games, the 0.1% lows and stutter is awful. older/esports/some new games would be fine obviously.

3770k is significantly better, that would tip away another good while though. mostly become the minimum frames are way higher than the 3570.

These days you either need an old multi-threaded cpu or a very modern quad threaded. eg despite being 4/4 like the 3570 due to advances in ipc combined with ddr4, something like the 9100f is way, way faster.

given how cheap ddr4 is now though, a ryzen 2600, cheapo a320m + 8gb ddr4 would less than 200 pounds. You would get probably almost half that for a 3570k, motherboard + 8gb ram. definitely worth considering.

• Advertisement
Advertisement