Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Much better playing alone

Options
  • 02-12-2019 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

hi all

any tips on getting my head around this?

I am far far better when i play alone,
    im not shy as a person and i only play with a couple of friends occasionally
    they are not strangers but i'm quite likely to play terrible with company

do i need therapy!? :D

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭thegolfer

The expectation to play well in front of others is very much rooted in yourself, and your own personal expectations not to under perform, in general, however with others looking on the pressure increases.

Get into a routine when golfing, trying to eliminate the outside factors, understandably this may be difficult, but if you watch the pros, even Lowry when he won the open, walked with his hands in the pockets, to keep the calm, and not get lost in the moment.

Always reinforce the good shots, if you keep mentioning the bad, only the bad will come to mind. Take only notes of the good, no matter how small.

And finally remember, what's the worst that could happen, if you think logically about it not much at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Do you play slower on your own? It could be that you're not concentrating properly when with others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭willabur

hi all

any tips on getting my head around this?

I am far far better when i play alone,
    im not shy as a person and i only play with a couple of friends occasionally
    they are not strangers but i'm quite likely to play terrible with company

do i need therapy!? :D

thanks

How long have you been playing?

I find it also that I play much better on my own but after just spending more time with strangers playing and learning to care less about what they think that my play has improved with others. I would still say there is a 3-5 shot difference between the two but that gap is closing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Not therapy but it is probably sports psychology related.

Friends or not nobody wants to play poorly in front of others. When you're on your own nobody can see you so you can just play. In the literal sense. So seemingly there is that tiny bit of pressure in the former over the latter and you're feeling it. Could it be that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

I always tend to score better with no witnesses too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭tritriagain

I'm the opposite. Don't have the concentration on my own . Of course when playing with others
    Mostly play for a few bob which focuses the mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Just play more with people, you will soon "get over it".
    Everyone feels this way at the start, especially if you don't play with others regularly, the more you do it, the easier and less of a thing it will become.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭fourmations

thanks for the feedback all

yeah, i reckon its just the pressure of being watched
    and wanting to do well in the company of other players,
    especially when i know i'm capable of playing relatively well
    (for my ability level)

its all in the brain no doubt,
    I suppose as a high handicapper there's doubts there as well,
    Its the inconsistency, i can hit cracking shots but also howlers to boot,
    negative thoughts creeping in or just thinking too much!

Hopefully, experience will iron this out, i'm only back to playing a few months ago after a ten year plus hiatus, I played a load of par three to get going but have only played about four full rounds, I also hit the range a lot after getting the bug back and I'm not sure how much that helps with the brain game. I'm like a tour pro on the range! (aren't we all!) and i found it quite deflating to realise that it has little bearing to actually playing a real course!

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

thanks for the feedback all

yeah, i reckon its just the pressure of being watched
    and wanting to do well in the company of other players,
    especially when i know i'm capable of playing relatively well
    (for my ability level)

its all in the brain no doubt,
    I suppose as a high handicapper there's doubts there as well,
    Its the inconsistency, i can hit cracking shots but also howlers to boot,
    negative thoughts creeping in or just thinking too much!

Hopefully, experience will iron this out, i'm only back to playing a few months ago after a ten year plus hiatus, I played a load of par three to get going but have only played about four full rounds, I also hit the range a lot after getting the bug back and I'm not sure how much that helps with the brain game. I'm like a tour pro on the range! (aren't we all!) and i found it quite deflating to realise that it has little bearing to actually playing a real course!

thanks

No one expects a high handicapper to play better than their handicap (well other than during an interclub match of course!) so dont put extra pressure on yourself.
    The single figure guy is far more worried about how he is going to play than how you are going to play...chances are you are watching him more than he is watching you :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

GreeBo wrote: »
    No one expects a high handicapper to play better than their handicap (well other than during an interclub match of course!)
    The person with the high handicap expects it :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement