Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Edge 520 Glass Repair

Options
  • 02-12-2019 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

I have a working Garmin Edge 520 but dropped it and the screen cracked.

Anyone know of a good repair centre ,etc.

I replaced it with a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt, and would like to sell the Garmin, but will need to repair it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

AlanD wrote: »
    I have a working Garmin Edge 520 but dropped it and the screen cracked.

Anyone know of a good repair centre ,etc.

I replaced it with a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt, and would like to sell the Garmin, but will need to repair it.

I had a quick look around Google and it seems Garmin do a flat rate replacement service. I’ve seen figures of £52-80 with a quick search.

https://support.garmin.com/en-SG/?faq=tCaD277YAn08GTNzP4OraA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

I saw the same post and went to Garmin who told me it was going to be 92 sterling or so.

I'd pay 50ish and could sell it on then.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I've one at home with a dead screen, quoted same for repair so just left it even though it seems fine bar not being able to see anything.

I know you can buy a screen from China and replace it yourself, but I reckon if you did this, it would no longer be waterproof. If so, what's the point.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

My 510 had water on the inside when I took it apart. That was without any intervention that didn't involve garmin. Take enough care, and it'd be fine to do it yourself at a fraction of the price.

The cost of repair, plus selling it would probably hardly be worthwhile. Cut your losses and sell it as is if still working I'd say.

You'd get maybe 120 max for it when sold, but probably 100. - the 50 your willing to spend, leaving you 50-70. Might just get a quick and easy 50 if you try selling it and being up front about the broken screen. Someone fix it themselves and gets possible bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

I did it previously. Cost 90 quid. They don't replace the screen. They send you out another unit (refurbed I think, but to be honest I couldn't tell the difference from new).

Weepsie wrote: »
    My 510 had water on the inside when I took it apart. That was without any intervention that didn't involve garmin. Take enough care, and it'd be fine to do it yourself at a fraction of the price.

The cost of repair, plus selling it would probably hardly be worthwhile. Cut your losses and sell it as is if still working I'd say.

You'd get maybe 120 max for it when sold, but probably 100. - the 50 your willing to spend, leaving you 50-70. Might just get a quick and easy 50 if you try selling it and being up front about the broken screen. Someone fix it themselves and gets possible bargain.

Good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

AlanD wrote: »
    Good point.

In mid 2016 i sent back a 510 and it cost £45.40, mine was water damaged and they sent me a new one back. I had no proof of purchase abs had actually bought it thru Adverts. No issues

I'd pay that price alright, but in Garmin chat, it was going to be over 100euro. So I'll try and sell it as a repairable item.

Advertisement