Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer figured out I was looking for other jobs

Options
  • 02-12-2019 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

So my employer figured out i was looking for other jobs and asked kinda forcibly to give him a final date of employment which I refused to give him.

Why on earth did he think I'd give him my notice before i even had an interview?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

anno mus wrote: »
    So my employer figured out i was looking for other jobs and asked kinda forcibly to give him a final date of employment which I refused to give him.

Why on earth did he think I'd give him my notice before i even had an interview?

He wants you out so he can hurry up and hire your replacement. He knows you are not committed to the company. I’m not saying it would be your style but a lot of people who I have known who were coming to the end of their time in a company and looking elsewhere do so while going on a go slow of sorts. He’s a fûcking majorly cheeky cûnt for requesting you give him formal notice though, he should be fûcked head first under a JCB for suggesting it. That’s borderline bullying... in fact it is.

Best answer to that question in future for anybody in a similar circumstance... “well I’m researching my value in the current jobs market”.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

They are twisting your arm to see how serious you are.

Any time this comes up just say your testing the water and haven’t made up your mind, and definitely haven’t given your notice.

Excessive conversation in this area is risking a constructive dismissal issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Don't worry about it. Tell him you're happy where you are but are always open to new opportunities and higher pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

How did he find out? Was it a case that he heard from within the industry that you were applying to competitors, etc., or was it more the case that you yourself let it be known to co-workers etc. that you were planning on leaving?

This sounds odd to me, in that there seems to be no effort on his side to retain you. How do you get on with him and with the team in general? Do you think that they may be glad to see the back of you for some reason?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

He probably does not know how far along in the process you are or has been misinformed as to how far along your are. And at the end of the day, the more he knows about when you are exiting that better he can be prepared to deal with it. He'd look very foolish to his management if it came out later that he was aware of your exit, did nothing about it and there was consequences for the company....

On the other hand management may be hoping for your exit and he want's to bring then the good news as to how much longer they have to put up with you. I knew a situation once where management was so happy to see a guy go, that his manager helped in clear his desk and told him that he did not have to work out his notice - they were afraid he'd change is mind!

The thing is none of us know the situation as well as you'd so all we can do is give you a bunch of opinions.

• Advertisement

Jim2007 wrote: »
    He probably does not know how far along in the process you are or has been misinformed as to how far along your are. And at the end of the day, the more he knows about when you are exiting that better he can be prepared to deal with it. He'd look very foolish to his management if it came out later that he was aware of your exit, did nothing about it and there was consequences for the company....

At the end of the day when you decide to leave you can give him the required notice, be it two weeks or four. That’s all you owe him. You owe him nothing in fact. You owe the company depending on the agreed contract, two or four weeks notice. What you do as regards looking for work now, evaluating the market, seeking suitable positions... that’s fine, it’s a free world and none of their fûcking business... you are there employed by and to work for your employer not to massage their whims...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Strumms wrote: »
    At the end of the day when you decide to leave you can give him the required notice, be it two weeks or four. That’s all you owe him. You owe him nothing in fact. You owe the company depending on the agreed contract, two or four weeks notice. What you do as regards looking for work now, evaluating the market, seeking suitable positions... that’s fine, it’s a free world and none of their fûcking business... you are there employed by and to work for your employer not to massage their whims...

The OP asked for speculation as to why his employer asked him for an indication of an exit date.... and your guess was what exactly?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

How did your boss find out ?

Jim2007 wrote: »
    The OP asked for speculation as to why his employer asked him for an indication of an exit date.... and your guess was what exactly?

My guess was in the first reply to the poster, thanks..

Advertisement