Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir having fun with me ...

• 02-12-2019 8:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭

... although they probably do not even know it. :D

End Sept & beginning of Oct I moved both my phone and broadband to a new provider.
    My Eir account was closed as expected.
    I received a letter from Eir informing me as my service had ceased I had to return a Zyxel modem or I would be charged some some amount I don't presently recall.

I was on FTTH with Eir and has a Huawei, rebranded F2000, router from Eir. So no Zyxel to return.
    I decided to reply by letter, letting them know that the last bill they sent was incorrect, and I did not have the specified device, but would return what I had when they asked for it specifically and I would pay the correct amount and send back the F2000 after I received their new instructions.

Naturally I received no response to my letter (sent by registered post), but I did since notice, that the bill subsequently was reduced to an amount much closer to what might be due.
    As the account is closed I did nothing - deciding to wait for their response by letter.

Today I received an email, with another bill, this one showing the reduced amount from the previous bill, plus another €60. Presumably that €60 is what they would be charging me if I was contracted to receive their service, which of course I am not.

EDIT: Correction - I just checked the bill and it seems they purport to charge €60 for an unspecified modem.

I am very glad I was on bill pay, and not direct debit, when I ceased my contract with eir, as they have no means by which to steal from my bank account at this time.

So I am sitting here wondering how long this will go on for.
    How many bills will they issue?
    When those bills are not paid what will they do? Send in the sheriff/debt collectors?

Whatever they decide I look forward to it now. :D

I will treat Eir as I would any internet scammer trying to steal my money.
    I look forward to interesting times ahead :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Hardly worth debt collectors over that amount.
    I expect them to be incapable of comprehending what's happening and give up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Withholding funds from a legitimate business is serious and may hurt your credit rating long term. Careful how you thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

degsie wrote: »
    Withholding funds from a legitimate business is serious and may hurt your credit rating long term. Careful how you thread.

They are trying to overcharge him. He has engaged with them by letter which they refuse to acknowledge. Is he obliged to pay money he does not owe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭dam099

The only credit checks that can be done in Ireland are based on data from ICB members (all financial institutions) or the Central Bank Central register so Eir bills wont impact.

Also under data protection laws you have a right to have erroneous personal data corrected, everyone is so paranoid about GDPR right now they would want to be very sure they were right to even log such a claim (even if it were possible).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Hehehehehe, I honestly find that funny in the extreme.

Happily I could not care less about such alleged credit ratings being affected by my dealings with Eir.

Apologies, for my tone, I don't mean it to reflect on you ..... I appreciate your intention to warn me of such dangers ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Berserker5

Has anyone successfully left eir

I'm still getting texts about phantom money owed

tuxy wrote: »
    They are trying to overcharge him. He has engaged with them by letter which they refuse to acknowledge. Is he obliged to pay money he does not owe?

Having checked the altered amount on the previous bill, I have decided to pay that, as it is close to what I reckoned I owed ..... possibly €10 between our figures.
    That will eliminate any possibility of an attempt to collect a due amount (it is possible my reckoning is erroneous).

They can whistle for the €60 and the modem until I receive correct instructions.
    I might even consider charging them storage in the meantime ....... :)

Berserker5 wrote: »
    Has anyone successfully left eir

I'm still getting texts about phantom money owed

Thankfully they have no mobile number for me so cannot send texts.
    They have a phone number which they never used.
    They send bills in the post, and a notification by email.

They fail to respond to written communication from me.

So I have successfully left them.
    They waste their time sending communications which I can now ignore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

I had a similar encounter with them a number of years ago (and one more recent also) for which I'm still receiving the bills. Id prefer if they gave it to a debt collector because I'm tired of the bills and a change is nice :D

Advertisement