Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Proselytizing Middle Eastern Death Cult Fanatic Gets 70K

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

If their employers hadn’t been discrimatory, they wouldn’t have had to compensate their former employee to the tune of €70k.
    Yep, and that was also the decision of the Labour Court who awarded him the €70k.
    The LC ruled that his employer discriminated against him, that’s all.
    That’s why he got €70k
    they were found to be at fault, in accordance with the law.
    His employers were found to be at fault because they violated the law.
    There’s no “we won, get over it”, because I’m not that childish.

In post after post on this thread you've justified the result by way of reference to the result.

Its pretty clear you think you've won something here. What it is I'm not quite sure.

The reason the thread exists from what I can tell was to elicit responses, and opinions of the result. not to continually refer back to the result like a halfwitted football fan shouting 2-1 or a brexiter pulling out the 'we won get over it'.

And much like the brexiter who has won the nice long rope that was being kept from him, you too have managed to get that nice long rope if you support judgements like this (yes I know how the court ruled).

That 70k won't be coming from the owners pockets, of that you can be sure. Most likely it will just coincide with a pay freeze for his colleagues.
    Some accountant told to spread the cost of the jesus freak over five years.

And as for whose advice most employers would take on this, yours or mine, well they'll take yours exactly 100% of the time while on the record. No less.
    But then, as with the famous glass ceiling, opportunities will strangely pass trouble makers like our Jesusey friend by.
    Theres more than one way to skin that cat.

This case shows that we take employment rights to stupid extremes, like our compo culture.
    And like our compo culture, its rarely the owners of the business that end up paying.

Madness like this case just inevitably leads to 'independent contractor' and 'zero hours' contracts. More chicanery and stage magic by employers.
    Someone losing out years later cause this yoke couldn't act normal in the workplace.

Im sure our holy friend has the employers just lining up.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

20Wheel wrote: »
    In post after post on this thread you've justified the result by way of reference to the result.

Then you’ve chosen to ignore the reasons I gave for why I feel the result was justified, but to make it very simple for you - the employer was entirely responsible for the result, because it was the employer who chose to discriminate against their employee, and the reality is that each and every one of their employees knew that in just the same way as that employee was treated, they too could be next in line if they didn’t tow the line and observe said employee and report back to management.

Is that the kind of employer you would want to work for, one that looks for “any way to skin a cat”? That’s where laws to protect employees from being discriminated against by their employers comes from, to hold rogue employers accountable for thinking they can treat their employees like crap. That type of employer gives employers a bad name, and they don’t illicit any sympathy from me whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I remember asking a new colleague at breakfast 'do you follow any team Steve' and Steve replies 'I follow Jesus'. I felt like fucking my plate of sausages at his stupid fucking head coming out with that **** first thing in the morning.

What is wrong with following Gabriel Jesus? Sure you have Ronaldo and Zlatan fans regardless what club they play for.

Then you’ve chosen to ignore the reasons I gave for why I feel the result was justified, but to make it very simple for you - the employer was entirely responsible for the result, because it was the employer who chose to discriminate against their employee, and the reality is that each and every one of their employees knew that in just the same way as that employee was treated, they too could be next in line if they didn’t tow the line and observe said employee and report back to management.

I get what you're saying but it seems to me that no discrimination occurred because nobody was allowed to promote their religion to other employees. It's not as if there was another religion being pushed on the employees while this guy was told not to.

Being asked to watch an employee for behavior that is offensive shouldn't be considered discrimination as long it's not fabricated. All businesses have rules for working there. Would it be discrimination when a company has rules against intimate relationships in work, but ask employees to report such? I doubt it.
    Is that the kind of employer you would want to work for, one that looks for “any way to skin a cat”? That’s where laws to protect employees from being discriminated against by their employers comes from, to hold rogue employers accountable for thinking they can treat their employees like crap. That type of employer gives employers a bad name, and they don’t illicit any sympathy from me whatsoever.

Actually, I'd have no problem working for them because I would know that I'm not going to have some religious guy pushing his beliefs at me. Just as I'd feel the same for political or moral beliefs of other people. I've worked with Mormons here, and they're extremely annoying with their moral superiority and often they push their religious beliefs on me since I'm agnostic. They have no respect for my beliefs since they're counter to their own, but, according to this example, the employer cannot seek to stop such behavior on my behalf.

The thing is that reporting others for negative behavior such as promoting a religion is a very scary proposition. It's far too easy these days to be labelled as something or another. It's hard to know when something is not allowed because minority beliefs get so much sympathy at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Sounds like 70 grand well spent to me. An investment in the welfare of the rest of their staff by getting rid of the company nutter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

endacl wrote: »
    Do born again christians have two bellybuttons?

Just checked... the answer is no :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

See, this is why I honestly and wholeheartedly believe that the law should be changed. Religion should never come into anything business related. You shouldn't be allowed talk about it at work. You shouldn't be allowed time off from work to attend some service. It's crazy that we have to pander to someones 'belief'.

In this case, it does sound like they went a bit OTT with the treatment, but I can't imagine how hard it would be to deal with this. You probably can't fire them for talking about it, but at the same time you can't allow them to continue to preach their (to so so many people) BS. I walk away from people who start talking about it, simply because I can't understand why people are willing to put their belief into a made up religion which tells you how to live your life and give me your money. Even worse, some religions tell you what you can/cannot eat/wear/say/act. Just madness. But I just walk away (most likely because if I stayed I'd probably end up digging them).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

See, this is why I honestly and wholeheartedly believe that the law should be changed. Religion should never come into anything business related. You shouldn't be allowed talk about it at work. You shouldn't be allowed time off from work to attend some service. It's crazy that we have to pander to someones 'belief'.

In this case, it does sound like they went a bit OTT with the treatment, but I can't imagine how hard it would be to deal with this. You probably can't fire them for talking about it, but at the same time you can't allow them to continue to preach their (to so so many people) BS. I walk away from people who start talking about it, simply because I can't understand why people are willing to put their belief into a made up religion which tells you how to live your life and give me your money. Even worse, some religions tell you what you can/cannot eat/wear/say/act. Just madness. But I just walk away (most likely because if I stayed I'd probably end up digging them).

Yes it's absolutely shocking being told what to do. Like who wants to be told not to murder or commit adultery or honour their parents. And as for loving your neighbour.... absolutely scandalous ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yes it's absolutely shocking being told what to do. Like who wants to be told not to murder or commit adultery or honour their parents. And as for loving your neighbour.... absolutely scandalous ;)

Oh what, people need to be told not to be a dick? Do people who don't believe in religion go around murdering or riding other married people as part of their daily lives? Thought that was just common sense.

Suppose it makes sense when every religious person doesn't do any of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No good or moral person needs a 2000+ year old fantasy adventure book from the middle east to tell them what is right and wrong. They certainly don't need some eejit preaching at them at work, either.

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement