Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double tracking on Galway and Waterford lines

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Couldn't such a service be provided already? Surely that is more an issue of Irish Rail being happy to settle for an interchange service rather than an infrastructure issue?

Sorry, not my area of expertise, I just presumed that the trains couldn't get through the junction. It seems like an open goal for IÉ, so I thought there must be some technical issue.

I often defend IÉ on boards, but I wouldn't be so fond of interchanges to be honest. Leaving aside elderly/mobility impairments/small children, it's just an added level of complexity to factor into your journey. It's fine when the frequencies are really high, like 15 minute or whatever, but I wouldn't like it on an hourly service. I'd always prefer a direct service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

LXFlyer wrote: »
    With the new platform at Limerick Junction in place, and trackwork improvements completed, it should be possible to have northbound and southbound Cork trains arrive and depart Limerick Junction at the same time each hour.

That will remove the existing waiting times for connecting trains at Limerick Junction (especially to/from Cork) to/from Limerick.

I don’t see the need to be honest for anything more than that hourly connection.

Hourly is loads, agreed. The connection is a different story, as per my previous post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,884 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Sorry, not my area of expertise, I just presumed that the trains couldn't get through the junction. It seems like an open goal for I so I thought there must be some technical issue.

I often defend Ion boards, but I wouldn't be so fond of interchanges to be honest. Leaving aside elderly/mobility impairments/small children, it's just an added level of complexity to factor into your journey. It's fine when the frequencies are really high, like 15 minute or whatever, but I wouldn't like it on an hourly service. I'd always prefer a direct service.
    Hourly is loads, agreed. The connection is a different story, as per my previous post.

The hourly connections at Limerick Junction to and from Limerick are guaranteed connections - I don’t see the issue.

Having the northbound and southbound Dublin-Cork trains passing each other at Limerick Junction means that the waiting time can be significantly cut back to provide a much better Cork-Limerick journey time.

The vast majority of Dublin-Limerick passengers change at Limerick Junction with no issue (as indeed do virtually all Dublin-Kerry passengers at Mallow). I don’t see why Cork-Limerick should be any different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Lord Fairlord

Baby steps - start with long dynamic loops and work towards that goal.

Fair enough. I suppose that there are more urgent things to spend money on like protecting the Bray to Greystones line from erosion and quad, or at least triple tracking the northern line - although the latter may never happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Triple tracking the Northern line at least as far as Howth Junction would be hugely beneficial and must be more workable space was and cost wise than quad tracking it.

• Advertisement

People wonder why the network is so crap.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

The line to Galway (from Broadstone in Dublin via Mullingar) was originally double track. Singled in the 1920s/30s as an economy measure!
    The alignment from Athlone to Galway could (with massive investment!) probably be doubled again.
    Between Portarlington to Athlone the line was laid as single track so not sure there would be capacity to alter without rebuilding every bridge etc on the route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,884 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

People wonder why the network is so crap.......

You don’t need to redouble the entire line to deliver more resilience.

Long dynamic loops allow for a degree of late running and allow trains to pass on the move.

The funds aren’t there to redouble the full line in any case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,594 ✭✭✭veryangryman

The line to Galway (from Broadstone in Dublin via Mullingar) was originally double track. Singled in the 1920s/30s as an economy measure!

And they look back on Cosgrave and his austerity as a good move. Is it any wonder people welcome back FF with open arms. Cheap fkrs with no ambition or big picture thinking

And they look back on Cosgrave and his austerity as a good move. Is it any wonder people welcome back FF with open arms. Cheap fkrs with no ambition or big picture thinking

In fairness FF were in power late 50s early 60s when a large proportion of our rail network was axed !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭bennyineire

cgcsb wrote: »
    Double tracking Portarlington to Athlone would have provided the west of Ireland with an enviable train service, hourly to Galway and bi hourly in Westport in less than 2 and 3 hours respectively but no. A great shame.

Agreed, the whole line doesn't need to be double tracked, but if double tracked from Portarlington and Athenry to Galway that would make a massive difference to capacity and times

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭AAAAAAAAA

That genuinely doesn't make a lot of sense to me unless some cute hoor got to sell the rails and profit off them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I think its is needed but I don't believe it will be ever considered by IE. They take a very conservative approach to signalling and this would not be compatible.

AAAAAAAAA wrote: »
    That genuinely doesn't make a lot of sense to me unless some cute hoor got to sell the rails and profit off them

I think they were used elsewhere!
    Great Southern Railway ( predecessor to CIE) was always short of money!

Advertisement