Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FG's desperate scramble to maintain power

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Not even 9 o'clock and you already have your daily FG thread started - good man
    👍👍

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

El Tarangu wrote: »
    ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Daily ? The second thread I have started since opening this account. lol. You upset?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

👍👍

A thread about the party in govt, in the current affairs forum? What kind of sorcery is this anyway:confused:

It is also important to point out that a lack of posts from users and new threads would soon render the site obsolete.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

End justifying the means tbh.

It's all well and good saying that you won't take someone's vote on principle, but if that ends up losing you control of the Dáil, then it's fairly pointless.

The electorate won't reward FG on the doorsteps for taking a principled stand and letting the Dail collapse.

This motion won't succeed tbh. The pure numbers show FG on the back foot. The reality is that it will require every opposition vote to win this motion, and that's just not going to happen.

The Healy-Rae's barely turn up as it is. They're not going to make an effort to come to Dublin so they can vote in favour of an election campaign during December.

If it's a serious motion, then it's poorly timed by the SDs. But it might be intended as a warning shot across the bow of FG, to get a gauge of just how precarious their hold is, and maybe set the stage for an election in early 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

👍👍

Thread about the government potentially collapsing on the day it may collapse in Current Affairs?

I'll be looking for the OP to get a siteban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Whatever about Lowry(who in fairness is very popular in his constituency), grealish has done nothing wrong

There should be an investigative report into the money leaving Ireland as going by grealish statements there’s something majorly suspect going on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Daily ? The second thread I have started since opening this account. lol. You upset?

The thread that you started yesterday covers much the same ground; I would have thought that the OP would have been a colourful addition to that thread rather than warranting it's own thread, but fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

👍👍

Pesky 'early risers'. I knew they'd be trouble!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,009 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This is a stupid motion, stupidly timed at least.
    No one wants an election now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/battered-fine-gaels-desperate-scramble-to-stay-in-power-as-housing-minister-faces-noconfidence-vote-38748339.html

FG seeking the support of Lowry and Grealish among others in their attempt to remain in office. Says it all when you are happy for the support of a corrupt tax dodger and a TD who has been accused with good reasons for stirring up racial tensions just for power. Whatever happened to integrity?
    Pretty sure that it's only a vote of confidence in the government passing that takes away power. This, in the unlikely event it were successful, might encourage the minister to stand down. What exactly are you looking for here, a Christmas election? Once they get back in mid-January we are into the last furlong anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭Floppybits

ELM327 wrote: »
    This is a stupid motion, stupidly timed at least.
    No one wants an election now.

Who says no one wants an election? I can understand FG don't want an election and FF the same but there are a lot of people who do want an election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

What happens if the motion is passed? Does it automatically mean an election is called or can Varadkar just demote Murphy?

Floppybits wrote: »
    Who says no one wants an election? I can understand FG don't want an election and FF the same but there are a lot of people who do want an election.
    Some people want one the day after they vote! It is coming, just not in the next four weeks, in the next 4-6 months max.

What happens if the motion is passed? Does it automatically mean an election is called or can Varadkar just demote Murphy?
    Nothing, no & no! See above in my first post!

My kids are home from Australia next week for Xmas. I’m looking forward to us all snuggled on the sofa watching Christmas movies and the new Gavin and Stacey. Feck that being interrupted by non stop election campaigns.

It can wait till the new year at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,009 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Floppybits wrote: »
    The only credible options for leadership and the majority of the house (FF/FG) don't want an election. You can rearrange a few nobodies on the backbenches that are loony lefts but at the end of the day they are never going to be in government

I'd also wager that most people don't want an election

Just a clarification on this vote, despite media attempts to talk it up as something seismic. Here are the only ways a government can fall before the end of its term.

The Government must enjoy the confidence of Dáil Éireann if it is to remain in office. If the Taoiseach ceases "to retain the support of a majority in Dáil Éireann", either Dáil Éireann must be dissolved or the Taoiseach must resign. This applies only in cases of a no-confidence vote or loss of supply (rejection of a budget), rather than a government bill being rejected. The President may refuse to grant a dissolution to a Taoiseach who does not enjoy the support of the Dáil, thus forcing the resignation of the Taoiseach.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Pretty sure that it's only a vote of confidence in the government passing that takes away power. This, in the unlikely event it were successful, might encourage the minister to stand down. What exactly are you looking for here, a Christmas election? Once they get back in mid-January we are into the last furlong anyway.
    Nothing, no & no! See above in my first post!

Yeah, that's what I thought (also if a Budget Bill is lost then the Government falls) but the headline "desperate scramble to maintain power" had me confused.

Yeah, that's what I thought (also if a Budget Bill is lost then the Government falls) but the headline "desperate scramble to maintain power" had me confused.
    Yeah, OP giving the impression the vote is meaningful to the lifetime of the government.

Minister for housing is a terrible gig .............. the housing list is full of (over a third of it at a guess) folk who are trying to game the system along with genuine cases and then folk who simply think they are entitled to a house as their ma etc etc got one in days gone by..... they aren't evenly knowingly trying to game the system it's just a way of life for them.

Until all of the above are housed to their satisfaction and all those who come after them then you'll have a "housing crisis". Behind the scenes I imagine this is acknowledged so there is no doubt political support for the minister but a large proportion of the public are media influenced so reckon the chap largely responsible.

• Advertisement

Yeah, OP giving the impression the vote is meaningful to the lifetime of the government.

TBF to the OP the title is lifted almost word for word from the Indo.

I think the (sub?) editor there is to blame.

TBF to the OP the title is lifted almost word for word from the Indo.

I think the (sub?) editor there is to blame.
    That is a given! Clickbait rules!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Augeo wrote: »
    Minister for housing is a terrible gig .............. the housing list is full of (over a third of it at a guess) folk who are trying to game the system along with genuine cases and then folk who simply think they are entitled to a house as their ma etc etc got one in days gone by..... they aren't evenly knowingly trying to game the system it's just a way of life for them.

Until all of the above are housed to their satisfaction and all those who come after them then you'll have a "housing crisis". Behind the scenes I imagine this is acknowledged so there is no doubt political support for the minister but a large proportion of the public are media influenced so reckon the chap largely responsible.

It's a never ending saga as you have the next generation very soon demanding their "foreva" home only about 20 years after the first one and so it goes on.

road_high wrote: »
    It's a never ending saga as you have the next generation very soon demanding their "foreva" home only about 20 years after the first one and so it goes on.

Indeed.......... an unsolvable waster problem is at the root of the housing crisis but no politician or media outlet will inform the public of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

A FF government will be no better than a FG government. At any point they were free to withdraw from the Confidence Agreement, instead they play the hurler on the ditch.

The main downside to an election will be the cost, all these new election promises that we’ll hear about will need to be funded somehow, and from the same pot we currently have.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    A FF government will be no better than a FG government.............

FF are more likely to cut taxes and increase SW payments so many will think it's a better government but it all needs to be paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Augeo wrote: »
    FF are more likely to cut taxes and increase SW payments so many will think it's a better government but it all needs to be paid for.

As opposed to Leo who prefers to '...look after those who get up early in the morning.' ROTFLMAO.

No difference at all between the two parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

But it is solveable. Just changed the rules. Turn off the money taps ! Let these scum live with ten plus people in their council houses , like in the fifties , sixties etc. three generations under one roof ...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Fann Linn wrote: »
    As opposed to Leo who prefers to '...look after those who get up early in the morning.' ROTFLMAO.

No difference at all between the two parties.

How much of a Christmas bonus will many workers get this week? Leo is the biggest fraud , I’ve yet come across in an Irish politician and that is saying something !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Lets face facts both FG and FF don't a flying F**k about the country or its people. All they are concerned about is whose turn is it to drive the gravy train so that they can line their pockets.

Advertisement