Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed gear or normal bike 18 km Dublin commute

Options
  • 03-12-2019 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

So I'd like to get a bit more fit and commute by bike to work (instead of luas) a couple times a week. The single trip is 18 kms. I live in the north city of Dublin and I commute to south county Dublin, from Merrion Square down towards Blackrock and then right towards Dean's Grange and further south along Bray Rd.

I was wondering if a Fixed Gear bike would be a good option for this route? According to google maps, it doesn't seem to be terribly hilly although it is by no means flat. Would it be too hilly for a Fixed Gear bike commute to be relatively comfortable?

I am used to biking because I'm from the Netherlands, but of course we would usually bike on flat ground and using a normal bike with gears. I've been reading about Fixies or Fixed Gear bikes though and its simplicity attracts me. I am pretty terrible at maintaining my bikes and fixing them if anything is wrong so the less there is to fix, the better.

Would you recommend me to just take the plunge and buy one say in a 300 quid price range? Or would it be better to buy a cheap second hand one to try it out first?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Perfectly doable on a fixed gear, very flat for most of it, just get the gearing right. I commute about the same on hillier terrain without issue.
    Tips for the bike, practice before you go out if you have not used one before. Make sure your front brakes are good. Practice slowing and stopping just using your legs, the brakes are too assist but the legs should do most of the work so that they are not caught off guard. Get your gearing right, better to be under geared than over.
    At €300 you will get nothing but sh1t buying new, the bike maybe easy to maintain but if your hauling pig iron or getting seized bearings in the first month, you will know all about it. Go second hand or expand your budget a bit.
    Make sure you know the difference between Single Speed and Fixed, many people get them confused, make sure it is fixed you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

CramCycle wrote: »
    Perfectly doable on a fixed gear, very flat for most of it, just get the gearing right. I commute about the same on hillier terrain without issue.
    Tips for the bike, practice before you go out if you have not used one before. Make sure your front brakes are good. Practice slowing and stopping just using your legs, the brakes are too assist but the legs should do most of the work so that they are not caught off guard. Get your gearing right, better to be under geared than over.
    At €300 you will get nothing but sh1t buying new, the bike maybe easy to maintain but if your hauling pig iron or getting seized bearings in the first month, you will know all about it. Go second hand or expand your budget a bit.
    Make sure you know the difference between Single Speed and Fixed, many people get them confused, make sure it is fixed you want.

That is great to know.

I found a shop in Dublin selling fixed gear bikes would these be any good value? Or better to look for a better model but second hand? https://vitalfixies.com/product/classic-stealth/ (sorry if that link is not allowed I am not meaning to advertise)

I'd like to buy through bike-to-work scheme so if there would be any bike shops that sell these models second hand that would be grand as then I can declare my costs using the bike to work scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

I did a chunk of that route for years on a Singlespeed with no issues. Great in terms of bike maintenance. Charge Plug. Always regret selling it.

Rode in and out of town once or twice Fixed but was never really comfortable in Traffic so went back to the Freewheel. I've seen plenty of people riding fixed though so it's horses for courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

CramCycle wrote: »
    If you're not used to riding fixed gear, a city commute is not a good place to learn. Something with a flip-flop hub with fixed gear on one side and single speed freewheel on the other would be a nicer place to start.
    machaseh wrote: »
    I'd like to buy through bike-to-work scheme so if there would be any bike shops that sell these models second hand that would be grand as then I can declare my costs using the bike to work scheme.
    The bike to work scheme applies only to new bikes. Attempting to use it to buy second-hand is tax fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭zonular

What size are you, I've a on one pompino im looking to let go of, flip flop hub and a spare set of wheels if needed

• Advertisement

zonular wrote: »
    What size are you, I've a on one pompino im looking to let go of, flip flop hub and a spare set of wheels if needed

I am 1.83m tall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Personally I think its a bit long for fixed. there'll be tons of stopping and and slow starts at lights. Why not go for a hub gear? You get the benefits of low maintenance and gears for a bit of extra weight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,581 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

lest there's any confusion - because i know people who have misunderstood this. fixed gear bikes do not mean a fixed gear ratio, per se - it means there's no freewheel action on the rear hub. i.e. you cannot stop pedalling while the bike is moving.
    many singlespeed bikes do have a freewheel action, but it's hard to tell them apart from fixies by simply looking at them, unless you see someone moving on one without turning the cranks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Thats pretty much my commute from the cc to south dublin which i do fixed. Highly recommend it. In the morning there is a slight incline heading south along with the prevailing south/ south westerly.

The only hairy part, depending on the time, is college green due to the volume of cyclists using the luas tracks and converging outside the gates of Trinity. Better skip around by pearse street instead.

Don't mind the fixie nay sayers and their wonky knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

lest there's any confusion - because i know people who have misunderstood this. fixed gear bikes do not mean a fixed gear ratio, per se - it means there's no freewheel action on the rear hub. i.e. you cannot stop pedalling while the bike is moving.
    many singlespeed bikes do have a freewheel action, but it's hard to tell them apart from fixies by simply looking at them, unless you see someone moving on one without turning the cranks.

Yeah I would presume the OP means singlespeed. I wouldn't want to do that commute on a true fixed gear bike.

I did a commute that followed a lot of your route on a single speed for about a year. It was from Fairview to Killiney, so not quite as long. The single speed was perfect for it really. The things I like about a single speed is the reliability as a commuter, and I feel the power delivery is much more direct. They take a bit of getting used to, and you'll get bigger legs with any hills or even starting from lights. But there's a lot to be said for a good single speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You might be better with a single speed than a fixie. Unless you're experienced and confident riding fixed on wet streets with multiple junctions/corners and potential hazards takes a bit of concentration.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,988 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

droidus wrote: »
    Why not go for a hub gear? You get the benefits of low maintenance and gears for a bit of extra weight.

Hub gears are amazing. I have the Charge Tap with an 8 speed hub and it's an incredible bike. Had it 7 years I think, minimal maintenance, still runs like a dream.

I do a much shorter commute though (only about 3km I think), but I only really use three of the gears. When I finally need a new bike I'll be going single speed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

If the simplicity is the attraction OP, I’d just opt for a single speed. But you sound like you’ve plenty of cycling experience so the fixed element might be worth it just for the fun of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

I started commuting on a flip flop with a 2 teeth difference, persevered for 18 months. I got annoyed at never being in the right gear.

Then used an igh for 23k, only changed to a drop bar as the distances increased and i wanted to join the local road club, 205km with 8 high gears nearly killed me on the w200.

This was all on a pompino.

For me an igh or with narrow/wide, 1x gets a good shout too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Three-speeds are pretty simple too, don't require much maintenance and give you a few options for hills and headwinds. I think a light three-speed with a chain case would be fairly maintenance-free. Even without a chain case if you don't mind wiping the chain once in a while.

You're very familiar with these anyway, being Dutch, but I think there are more lightweight versions of these than the omafiets and its kind.

Something like this?
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/chappelli-vintage-three-speed-bike-2017/rp-prod165005

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

There are also two-speeds that don't even have gear cables. You just pedal a particular way to toggle between the two gears, and backpedal to brake. Lumen posted something about them ages ago.

I don't know how common off-the-shelf bikes with these kind of gears are, but there's something about the gears themselves:
    https://www.missionbicycle.com/blog/hands-free-shifting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

It all sounds great but it doesn’t take into account that some days after a few months you will get on the bike and absolutely just want to tap along, free wheel abit, let people pass you, tap the peddles again free wheel.

I think a fixie is grand if you have a few bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Fixie for 18km commute is grand ....... if you're quadzilla and carded up and well rested lol

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I do 40k a day across town on a fixie, it's absolutely fine.
    Simple, easy to maintain, handy to ride around and give you good control. Nimble.

She's my favourite bike, I won my first national medal on her. She's much happier as a commuter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,581 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd be tempted to do my commute on a single speed, except for the thoughts of the top half of newtownpark avenue.

• Advertisement

Fixed gear commuting in Dublin is fine, anyone who says it isn't, just hasn't tried it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

i'd be tempted to do my commute on a single speed, except for the thoughts of the top half of newtownpark avenue.

I do it fixed all * the time :cool:

*some of the time

Fixed Fear is what youse all have

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The only caveat I'd have is that the prevailing head wind that direction has me reaching for my gears on a similar route (albeit on the way home for me).

Okay I am ditching the fixie idea for the following reasons:

1. It's just too far. I can cycle 18 kms there and back but if I want to do it in a setting where I have to be in work in time I want to have the ability to switch to a lower gear so I can climb a hill, rather than having to walk uphill.
    2. The 'fixie culture' seems to be some kind of hipster-esque sub culture, a bit like people who use Vinyl instead of CDs or something like that. 'Feel more in touch with your bike' I really don't care about any of that. I want to get from A to B in a healthy and easy way, that is literally it.

Would this road bike be an option? I am not the biggest fan of derailleurs because while they work perfectly, they are very clunky, heavy and have a good chance of breaking down.

https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/triban-rc-500-touring-road-bike-disc-brakes-en-s308097.html
    tomasrojo wrote: »
    Three-speeds are pretty simple too, don't require much maintenance and give you a few options for hills and headwinds. I think a light three-speed with a chain case would be fairly maintenance-free. Even without a chain case if you don't mind wiping the chain once in a while.

You're very familiar with these anyway, being Dutch, but I think there are more lightweight versions of these than the omafiets and its kind.

Something like this?
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/chappelli-vintage-three-speed-bike-2017/rp-prod165005

I'll look into threespeeds, those are the type of bikes that would be the most common in the Netherlands yes. But I am not sure if they would be the best for such a long distance.

I wont be bringing heavy stuff such as a laptop into work but I would need a backpack with some clothes and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

I rode a singlespeed for a while from Bray to Dublin 1, about 23k each way. It was fine, but I eventually sold it because it was too much of a pain in the arse on the days facing into a headwind. I can't remember what the gearing was, maybe 46x16. The frame being too small for me probably didn't help either. There are absolutely no hills anywhere on the route you're talking about though that are anywhere close to being steep enough that you would have to walk up, so whatever about other justifications, that shouldn't be one of them.

I have a Dolan TC1 that I am putting up for sale soon, PM me if you want to try it out, we are close enough to the same height so it would give you a good idea if you wanted to go Fixed or not. Fixed or Single Speed, both are fine for that commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Okay I am ditching the fixie idea for the following reasons:

1. It's just too far. I can cycle 18 kms there and back but if I want to do it in a setting where I have to be in work in time I want to have the ability to switch to a lower gear so I can climb a hill, rather than having to walk uphill.
    2. The 'fixie culture' seems to be some kind of hipster-esque sub culture, a bit like people who use Vinyl instead of CDs or something like that. 'Feel more in touch with your bike' I really don't care about any of that. I want to get from A to B in a healthy and easy way, that is literally it.

Would this road bike be an option? I am not the biggest fan of derailleurs because while they work perfectly, they are very clunky, heavy and have a good chance of breaking down.

https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/triban-rc-500-touring-road-bike-disc-brakes-en-s308097.html

I'll look into threespeeds, those are the type of bikes that would be the most common in the Netherlands yes. But I am not sure if they would be the best for such a long distance.

I wont be bringing heavy stuff such as a laptop into work but I would need a backpack with some clothes and the like.

Have a look here.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057796093

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭cletus

There's nothing wrong with vinyl :(

• Advertisement

Cool, you've made your decision, but in case anyone else is wondering the same as yourself.

1. You pick the gearing that would suit you best for the trip and your ability. You'd have realised it pretty quickly after a trip. Cram and eeeee would be using different gears to me for the same trip for example.

2. You can ride fixed gear without being part of that "hipster" culture. Feeling more in touch with your bike is also a nice thing and feeds into control. Anyway, I personally would like to thank "hipsters" for helping the return of vinyl and introducing many of this to more pleasurable coffees, etc. Though I still don't get why so many walk their bikes everywhere.

Advertisement