Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Eoin Murphy no confidence vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    As well as investment funds buying up properties to rent them out at ridiculous levels, the other big problem facing individuals or families looking to rent or buy is the councils who are at the same craic.

I live in an end of terrace house in the Midlands. The one immediately beside me is being rented out to a foreign lad via the council. The one at the other end was sold a few months ago to the council and has been idle since (I'm guessing they need to wait for the budget reset in the new year before they refit it - unnecessarily I might add as it's in great condition as it is).

The same story is common elsewhere. Meanwhile the likes of me on "good money" (from what we're told the averages are) commutes an hour each way to work and stuck renting as well. Although even if I could afford a deposit, I'd be competing against the council, couples and investors so long term I'm not sure what I'll do.

The system is badly broken though when people are being accommodated for next to nothing in and around Dublin and don't work, or couldn't otherwise afford to live in those areas - while others like myself spend a fortune in fuel and sit in traffic every day.

This is true, I’ve heard of this happening too. How are single people able to afford to buy houses paying the current rent especially if they aren’t in a position to move in with their parents to save.

Does anyone know what rate these investment funds are paying on their profits from rent or are they subject to the same rental rates as a private landlord for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Great timing from Dara Murphy this morning. Is there any honour in FG anymore? Will he pay back the dodgy expenses?
    How do these clowns get such blind obedience on Boards? It's embarrassing.

Was there ever any honour in FG? There doesn't seem to be a shred of honour among any of the politicians in the Dail. They are nothing but money grabbing parasites.

The most sickening thing is their supporters and the way they turn a blind eye to the carry on of their parties and are very quick to point the finger at another party. How do these people sleep at night? Can these people not think for themselves? Are they that stupid or are they lining their pockets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Dara Murphy is gone. FGs number is now 47. FF is at 45 + 1 Ceann Comhairle.

All they need is somebody like Maria Bailey to flip and its game over. Bailey may not flip to FF but she may leave the party as a bit of revenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Dara Murphy is gone. FGs number is now 47. FG is at 45 + 1 Ceann Comhairle.

All they need is somebody like Maria Bailey to flip and its game over. Bailey may not flip to FF but she may leave the party as a bit of revenge.

No she won't. You can bet that in the meetings she has had that she has been promised a cushy number. I bet she was sat down and said Maria we have to push you under the bus, but if you keep your head down, mouth shut and cause no problems we will look after you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Dara Murphy is gone. FGs number is now 47. FF is at 45 + 1 Ceann Comhairle.

All they need is somebody like Maria Bailey to flip
    and its game over. Bailey may not flip to FF but she may leave the party as a bit of revenge.

I'm sure there's a joke to be made here somewhere, most likely involving a swing, but I'm gonna have to resist this time.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,238 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Floppybits wrote: »
    Was there ever any honour in FG? There doesn't seem to be a shred of honour among any of the politicians in the Dail. They are nothing but money grabbing parasites.

The most sickening thing is their supporters and the way they turn a blind eye to the carry on of their parties and are very quick to point the finger at another party. How do these people sleep at night? Can these people not think for themselves? Are they that stupid or are they lining their pockets?

You point the finger at all politicians, and you then give out about others pointing the finger at all politicians.

You couldn't make up some of the stuff that is posted on this site.

blanch152 wrote: »
    You point the finger at all politicians, and you then give out about others pointing the finger at all politicians.

You couldn't make up some of the stuff that is posted on this site.

How'd the Greens vote last night?

How'd the Greens vote last night?

Who cares how the Greens voted last night? You seem to be very interested in that, so look it up.

Let me guess......you're still gonna give them your no1 in the elections, and you don't have to support everything they say and do....

IMG-20191204-120739.jpg

You are against more things they say and do with each passing week, however you will defend the blueshirts to the backbone.

Did you post the previous stuff with a straight face blanch :)

Let me guess......you're still gonna give them your no1 in the elections, and you don't have to support everything they say and do....

IMG-20191204-120739.jpg

You are against more things they say and do with each passing week, however you will defend the blueshirts to the backbone.

Did you post the previous stuff with a straight face blanch :)

Yup, will be voting Green in the general election, and this time I expect my vote to elect O'Gorman in Dublin West. Remember I vote on policies not personalities, and while Fine Gael have done an excellent job in getting this country working again, the importance issue is climate change, and they haven't done enough. We need carbon taxes, public transport, water charges, restrictions on cars, etc. and the Greens are the ones most likely to provide those things. Fine Gael are a long distance behind that. Labour may get my second preference.

I am up front about this, and I will keep being up front, unlike those who have never voted for Sinn Fein before, but will be considering giving them a vote this time, or others who will claim to be agnostic.

Many people, like yourself, hide behind bluster about political allegiances. I am clear about how I vote, why I vote that way, and why I think that notwithstanding my vote going in a different way, that the current Government have done a reasonable job, one that FF wouldn't have bothered to do, and which the likes of SF and PBP are incapable of doing. Yes, the Government falls short, but other than the Greens, FG are the best of the rest.

If there was a confidence vote, where the opposition were attempting to force Fine Gael out of office for failing to increase the carbon tax sufficiently, the opposition would get my full support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

But how do you fix healthcare? We spend an increasing amount in it each year, over 15 Billion.

Yet each year they have overruns. Why is this?

Are the number of patients increasing? The cost of treatment?

If I knew all the answers to that then I would be the Minister for Health or the Taoiseach.
    What I do know is it is not going to be fixed by throwing money at it year on year as a sticking plaster solution which has been FG policy for the past 8 years while it has got progressively worse.

For a start it would help if we had people in charge who at least could cost a build. Unlike the shambles of the Children Hospital.
    A bit of joined up thinking to solve the immediate problems other than vote chasing would help. For example, does it make financial or practical sense when the way to alleviate the ever growing numbers attending A&E is to have them visiting their GP`s to throw money at free child care for under 8`s and filling up GP surgeries.

Something introduced by Reilly who showed what he really thought of primary care centers by shoe horning his own constituency with them.
    Varadkar did nothing while Minister other than criticise other ministers. After two doctors e now have a Minister that studied journalism before dropping out faik.

If you were a cynic you would easily get the impression that not only do FG not have a clue on how to solve them problem, other than spinning it for votes or detract they really could not care less about health care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Yup, will be voting Green in the general election, and this time I expect my vote to elect O'Gorman in Dublin West. Remember I vote on policies not personalities, and while Fine Gael have done an excellent job in getting this country working again, the importance issue is climate change, and they haven't done enough. We need carbon taxes, public transport, water charges, restrictions on cars, etc. and the Greens are the ones most likely to provide those things. Fine Gael are a long distance behind that. Labour may get my second preference.

I am up front about this, and I will keep being up front, unlike those who have never voted for Sinn Fein before, but will be considering giving them a vote this time, or others who will claim to be agnostic.

Many people, like yourself, hide behind bluster about political allegiances. I am clear about how I vote, why I vote that way, and why I think that notwithstanding my vote going in a different way, that the current Government have done a reasonable job, one that FF wouldn't have bothered to do, and which the likes of SF and PBP are incapable of doing. Yes, the Government falls short, but other than the Greens, FG are the best of the rest.

If there was a confidence vote, where the opposition were attempting to force Fine Gael out of office for failing to increase the carbon tax sufficiently, the opposition would get my full support.

Thanks for the laugh, almost believed you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I mean if people were saying here they would vote fg as best of a bad lot. I could accept that. But to not admit what a piss poor job they have done... that has to be fg ministers posting here!

All they had to do and all you have to do here , to get returned to power , is not be incredibly bad , even a poor showing will get you re-elected here , such is the standard of our politics. They have nobody to blame but themselves...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

is_that_so wrote: »
    It actually depends what's happened in the meantime, through completed builds. As has been said the "housing crisis" apart from the headline numbers does not affect enough people. For many looking to get on the ladder, there is a glimmer of hope in that there is much better availability. Despite what we see on these threads, from time to time in the media and perhaps in some quarters in RL, that raw anger which swept away FF and then Labour is gone. Some entities will raise it and campaign on it but what is it they can actually do better? Ultimately it comes down to LAs to take care of it,whether huge tranches of government money or off their own bat.

People have been hearing about the problem being alleviated with completed builds the now look on it as a "Live horse and you will get oats"

The housing crisis is not confined to the homeless or social housing it is also includes working families where there are up to three generations living in the one house due to the shortage and demand forcing up prices that do not see a "glimmer of hope" to purchase or even rent.
    Those are the people, working middle class, that do not generally march in protest but come an election those that do vote and register their anger at the pooling booth.

Anyone that thinks there is not anger out there on the building crisis, be it on homlessness or shortage of affordable accommodation to buy or rent is deluding themselves imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I mean if people were saying here they would vote fg as best of a bad lot. I could accept that. But to not admit what a piss poor job they have done... that has to be fg ministers posting here!

All they had to do and all you have to do here , to get returned to power , is not be incredibly bad , even a poor showing will get you re-elected here , such is the standard of our politics. They have nobody to blame but themselves...

Indeed . Doing badly in a job should get you fired however with regards politics in this country you get rewarded by being re- elected. A nation of zombies..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

So a Minister, who has an extremely busy job, misses a vote, should lose 50% of their salary? Seriously?

If they are in the Dail and refuse to vote, like what FF done yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

charlie14 wrote: »
    People have been hearing about the problem being alleviated with completed builds the now look on it as a "Live horse and you will get oats"

The housing crisis is not confined to the homeless or social housing it is also includes working families where there are up to three generations living in the one house due to the shortage and demand forcing up prices that do not see a "glimmer of hope" to purchase or even rent.
    Those are the people, working middle class, that do not generally march in protest but come an election those that do vote and register their anger at the pooling booth.

Anyone that thinks there is not anger out there on the building crisis, be it on homlessness or shortage of affordable accommodation to buy or rent is deluding themselves imho.
    You need to get some more common quotes, had to look that thing up and it still makes no sense! The trend in polls suggests it is going to be either FF or FG and the levels have been steady enough for about two years, along with the decline in votes of the protest parties PBP and SF. That's not anger, Labour on between 3%-7% is as is the fluctuation in the Indos. As an issue it's rarely a big election ticket and it's not going to do many people favours in terms of votes.

They didn't refuse to vote, they abstained as they would do under the deal.

You need to get some more common quotes, had to look that thing up and it still makes no sense! The trend in polls suggests it is going to be either FF or FG and the levels have been steady enough for about two years, along with the decline in votes of the protest parties PBP and SF. That's not anger, Labour on between 3%-7% is as is the fluctuation in the Indos. As an issue it's rarely a big election ticket and it's not going to do many people favours in terms of votes.

https://m.independent.ie/opinion/comment/colette-browne-a-homeless-boy-in-court-over-1-drink-while-td-picks-up-51600-expenses-no-wonder-fg-is-on-the-ropes-38752301.html
    Can't see media pieces like Collette's doing FG much good, doubt it's a vote getter.

It's the lm alright Jack types who will vote for ff or fg, the self absorbed types.

• Advertisement

That's the Dummies version of politics and feeds that unthinking they're all the same. Remember, it's all politicians in Leinster House who agree on expenses regimes. Your average voter will engage with an election about 2 weeks before it happens and it's who you like and how local they are that decides for many.

I'd say FF may get more seats in the GE but FG will be in the same ballpark, in the main, because the other "options" get progressively worse, the more left you go.

Fianna Fail have no Ministers.

Billcarson wrote: »
    It's the lm alright Jack types who will vote for ff or fg, the self absorbed types.
    That's 60% of the population so but clearly not you! What horrid people! :eek:

That's 60% of the population so but clearly not you! What horrid people! :eek:

I'm alright Jack but it doesn't make me despise fg or ff anyless.

That's the Dummies version of politics and feeds that unthinking they're all the same. Remember, it's all politicians in Leinster House who agree on expenses regimes. Your average voter will engage with an election about 2 weeks before it happens and it's who you like and how local they are that decides for many.

I'd say FF may get more seats in the GE but FG will be in the same ballpark, in the main, because the other "options" get progressively worse, the more left you go.

Which is why Varadkar has claimed he has tasked Pascal with changing it. You can describe the piece however you like but FG are just providing more 'rods for their back' as an election draws nearer.

Billcarson wrote: »
    I'm alright Jack but it doesn't make me despise fg or ff anyless.
    Despise away, nobody else's offerings resonate with voters. As a matter of curiosity who would you have in there?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

They didn't refuse to vote, they abstained as they would do under the deal.

They shouldnt be allowed too. Seems that is the issue majority of people I have spoken too have.

Sad that our next Govt will be FF/FG again and the country will just get worse and worse

Which is why Varadkar has claimed he has tasked Pascal with changing it. You can describe the piece however you like but FG are just providing more 'rods for their back' as an election draws nearer.
    Oh, it's got to be changed but that's an overall Dail discussion. The trouble with that type of piece is its selective blindness in fingering only certain TDs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

that article is bang on! Sick of the usual "building houses takes a long time" no urgency when you arent being robbed on rent or homeless! The could solve a tens of billion bank guarantee in a matter of hours, in the middle of the night :rolleyes:

Want to fix the housing "crisis", insist on minimum densities that effectively stop any house building in dublin inside the m50, possibly further out. Unless on tiny sites not suited for apartment blocks. Next, the cost of building dual aspect apartments and the lift requirements etc, all that bull**** cost an extra fortune. I'd start telling developers what they can build, or the breakdown, so they dont just provide the highest end most lucrative property (as is understandable) the developers are one hundred percent blame free in this crisis. Its those government rats one hundred percent to blame. Start hiking up rents for social housing, use this to fund more housing. Probably get someone who can actually do their job to start collecting rents, certainly not the inept councils and deduct it from welfare or revenue with a fine if not paid. But the state should be building its own housing, that it never sells off. Rent it out for a fair price of say 25% , open to all, when your circumstances change, you shouldnt be able to stay there, say family members leave. Unless you pay the rent the unit is worth, but one person shouldnt be in a three bed, paying 25% of income on it and subletting the other two rooms for cash :rolleyes:

There are properly run housing schemes all across europe, they solved these issues decades ago! Its only in this banana republic, that its so difficult. But the concept is easy to grasp, the backstabbers we elect here, are beholden to rip off property prices, its the only logical explanation...

all you hear in this country is, no money for this, no money for that. While they massively reduce their tax take and LPT etc, by massively curtailing development!

• Advertisement

They shouldnt be allowed too. Seems that is the issue majority of people I have spoken too have.

Sad that our next Govt will be FF/FG again and the country will just get worse and worse
    It's part of their deal to support the government. Would all of these people be voting Christmas week or be happy to be plagued by election bumph?
    The election is coming just not quite yet.

Advertisement