Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eoin Murphy no confidence vote

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭Billcarson

is_that_so wrote: »
    Despise away, nobody else's offerings resonate with voters. As a matter of curiosity who would you have in there?

Sf , it would be a risk but faint heart never won fair lady. Fg and ff have screwed us over time and again the last century . Too many cowards in this country. Do people not get it,you vote the same tossers in do to the same crap as before, they are laughing at us because they know they can basically get rewarded for failure.

It sf got in it might if nothing else rock politics in this country. It badly needs a shaking up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Oh, it's got to be changed but that's an overall Dail discussion. The trouble with that type of piece is its selective blindness in fingering only certain TDs.

Fingering certain TDs? only one TD has effectively being away from his job for two years but claiming full expenses. Even a senior FG minister is seeking he answers all questions although I suspect that is damage limitation as opposed to any loyalty to the taxpayers funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Billcarson wrote: »
    Sf , it would be a risk but faint heart never won fair lady. Fg and ff have screwed us over time and again the last century . Too many cowards in this country. Do people not get it,you vote the same tossers in do to the same crap as before, they are laughing at us because they know they can basically get rewarded for failure.

It sf got in it might if nothing else rock politics in this country. It badly needs a shaking up.

I totally agree. There is no way I can vote fG again, actually seeing what FF and SF would do, could be interesting. What those not effected by the housing crisis dont get is, its a massive amount of money, far higher than any other expense fora lot of us. There are people complaining "oh I cant afford more LPT" which is spare change in your pocket! And the people renting bedrooms in dublin for nearly a thousand a month, thats ok is it? Biggest nation of me feiners on the planet!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Billcarson wrote: »

Their vote has declined and they need a new message. Part of their lack of attraction to many voters, the big shadow of history aside, is their keenness to tax anyone above the AIW to the hilt. I reckon they'll lose seats, could be a couple or a lot more based on that vote slide and the decline in support for like-minded Indos to get them home in those final seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

They shouldnt be allowed too. Seems that is the issue majority of people I have spoken too have.

Sad that our next Govt will be FF/FG again and the country will just get worse and worse

The majority of people you have spoken to obviously don't understand how democracy works.

It is an equally valid choice in any democratic decision to choose not to cast a vote, as it is to cast a vote for or against any proposition. That is a basic building block of a democratic society.

Democracy is the least worst system of government. You may well have an opinion that either FF or FG in government is bad for the country, but so long as you are allowed to have that opinion, to campaign against them, to speak freely against them and to leave the country if you have had enough, then we have a working democracy. But if the majority of people in the country vote to have either a FF or FG government, you are duty bound to accept that outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Their vote has declined and they need a new message. Part of their lack of attraction to many voters, the big shadow of history aside, is their keenness to tax anyone above the AIW to the hilt. I reckon they'll lose seats, could be a couple or a lot more based on that vote slide and the decline in support for like-minded Indos to get them home in those final seats.

They'd get a few votes in this household also if they rolled back on their 'open borders for all' mantra.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

If theres anyone who thinks we can continue housing those who do not work in dublin city at the rates we currently are and also provide enough housing for students and those who work at affordable prices the ive some magic beans and a wardrobe to sell you because youre living in a fairytale land

Fingering certain TDs? only one TD has effectively being away from his job for two years but claiming full expenses. Even a senior FG minister is seeking he answers all questions although I suspect that is damage limitation as opposed to any loyalty to the taxpayers funds.
    It's not just one individual. We've had the Healy Raes, Kenny and a few others as well. Who knows how many have fobbed in and left for the day? The system is broken and when you don't close off the loopholes people will exploit them legitimately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

blanch152 wrote: »
    The majority of people you have spoken to obviously don't understand how democracy works.

It is an equally valid choice in any democratic decision to choose not to cast a vote, as it is to cast a vote for or against any proposition. That is a basic building block of a democratic society.

Democracy is the least worst system of government. You may well have an opinion that either FF or FG in government is bad for the country, but so long as you are allowed to have that opinion, to campaign against them, to speak freely against them and to leave the country if you have had enough, then we have a working democracy. But if the majority of people in the country vote to have either a FF or FG government, you are duty bound to accept that outcome.

FF complain all week about FG's Housing Policy and then abstain from voting. Whats the ****ing point of complaining all the time?

If theres anyone who thinks we can continue housing those who do not work in dublin city at the rates we currently are and also provide enough housing for students and those who work at affordable prices the ive some magic beans and a wardrobe to sell you because youre living in a fairytale land

You forgot that those that think that way also require that the houses you provide in the centre of the city are no more than two storeys high and have a back garden for a trampoline.

There are solutions though. We could demolish the flats on Whitefriar Street and replace them with 10-story apartment blocks, with bigger apartments etc., but the NIMBYs would be up in arms.

• Advertisement

I agree eric, but FG and moron Councillors obviously thinks its viable!

FF complain all week about FG's Housing Policy and then abstain from voting. Whats the ****ing point of complaining all the time?

Its the same way that you dont win at chess by removing the other player. MM doesnt want any sniff of an election till brexit is shored up and the longer he can leave FG there the more tyey lose out in polls, he’ll do anything to stop the collapse of that government while also flogging them publically every day, he’ll leave when he’s sure that FF have the numbers to win, which is important for him to do because as FF’s possibly weakest ever leader, making the other guys look awful is much easier than making him look good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

It's not just one party. We've had the Healy Raes and Kenny and a few others as well. Who knows how many have fobbed in and out? The system is broken and when you don't close off the loopholes people will exploit them legitimately.

Murphy was acting under the knowledge of the party upper echelons, working on behalf of the party in Europe within their EU grouping. You can slate the Healy Rae's and deservably so but Murphy for the last two years has not respresented

the people who elected him but collected full pay and expenses as if he did. In any other walk of life that would be viewed as serious fraud. I don't think it's going to disappear as quickly as FG hopes.

I called this as a publicity stunt and a gimmick from the start. It was designed by the opposition to create some noise and to make the government look bad. It was nothing to do with solving the housing problem, it was nothing to do with an election as they ended up sh*t scared that they would lose the vote.

People got taken in by this, hence the breathless posts last night asking about the numbers, walk-through votes etc. Why get excited about a gimmick?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Idbatterim wrote: »
    that article is bang on! Sick of the usual "building houses takes a long time" no urgency when you arent being robbed on rent or homeless! The could solve a tens of billion bank guarantee in a matter of hours, in the middle of the night :rolleyes:

Want to fix the housing "crisis", insist on minimum densities that effectively stop any house building in dublin inside the m50, possibly further out. Unless on tiny sites not suited for apartment blocks. Next, the cost of building dual aspect apartments and the lift requirements etc, all that bull**** cost an extra fortune. I'd start telling developers what they can build, or the breakdown, so they dont just provide the highest end most lucrative property (as is understandable) the developers are one hundred percent blame free in this crisis. Its those government rats one hundred percent to blame. Start hiking up rents for social housing, use this to fund more housing. Probably get someone who can actually do their job to start collecting rents, certainly not the inept councils and deduct it from welfare or revenue with a fine if not paid. But the state should be building its own housing, that it never sells off. Rent it out for a fair price of say 25% , open to all, when your circumstances change, you shouldnt be able to stay there, say family members leave. Unless you pay the rent the unit is worth, but one person shouldnt be in a three bed, paying 25% of income on it and subletting the other two rooms for cash :rolleyes:

There are properly run housing schemes all across europe, they solved these issues decades ago! Its only in this banana republic, that its so difficult. But the concept is easy to grasp, the backstabbers we elect here, are beholden to rip off property prices, its the only logical explanation...

all you hear in this country is, no money for this, no money for that. While they massively reduce their tax take and LPT etc, by massively curtailing development!

You hit most of it on the nail here. People on social housing should also not be in expensive areas and should be moved out. its more efficient with money and you get more people off the homeless list. The government wont make the hard choices you have pointed out however.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I agree eric, but FG and moron Councillors obviously thinks its viable!

Somebody has to get shafted, every major party has chosen working people who are forced to commute for hours to be the shaftee, I think its time we called for a ban on social housing inside the m50 and made those who don’t work the shaftee, if somebody has to lose, lets make it be the people who have the least to lose and contribute the least.

We can’t truly fix the ‘housing crisis’ without telling the NIMBYS , those on the social list and the georgian preservation society to jog on. , mountjoy square and surrounding areas would make a great area if tastefully renovated to modern apartments sold at affordable prices to those who work, instead of the filthy slum that it is now.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    They'd get a few votes in this household also if they rolled back on their 'open borders for all' mantra.
    The day that happens, their left-wing band of brothers will denounce them as right wing reactionaries!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

You need to get some more common quotes, had to look that thing up and it still makes no sense! The trend in polls suggests it is going to be either FF or FG and the levels have been steady enough for about two years, along with the decline in votes of the protest parties PBP and SF. That's not anger, Labour on between 3%-7% is as is the fluctuation in the Indos. As an issue it's rarely a big election ticket and it's not going to do many people favours in terms of votes.

If you do not understand the quote "live horse and you will get oats" just ask the next farmer you meet and they will explain it very clearly in the present context as regards housing.

A housing crisis has rarely been an election issue for the simple reason we have rarely had one of this scale. But we have now, and as I said anyone who believes it will not be an issue as to the formation of the next government is deluding themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

I called this as a publicity stunt and a gimmick from the start. It was designed by the opposition to create some noise and to make the government look bad. It was nothing to do with solving the housing problem, it was nothing to do with an election as they ended up sh*t scared that they would lose the vote.

People got taken in by this, hence the breathless posts last night asking about the numbers, walk-through votes etc. Why get excited about a gimmick?

Ah so, none of the Governemnt want to solve the housing problem. The current Govt plan is failing miserably and the opposition yday didnt want to solve it anyway?

Whats the point in a Government?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

charlie14 wrote: »
    If you do not understand the quote "live horse and you will get oats" just ask the next farmer you meet and they will explain it very clearly in the present context as regards housing.

A housing crisis has rarely been an election issue for the simple reason we have rarely had one of this scale. But we have now, and as I said anyone who believes it will not be an issue as to the formation of the next government is deluding themselves.

We didn’t have a housing crisis ten years ago because FF built 100s of thousands of houses everywhere.

That ended well alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

I never heard that quote either so will look it up! I saw that there is protest being organised tomorrow at 12pm! Why would a march be organised during the week when most people can’t attend it! Very strange time to organise a protest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

Mainly because our indescribably stupid media ramped it up in the hopes that the gubberment would fall - elections sell more newspapers!

And, wholly unsurprisingly, the brainless cohort of frothing at the mouth Boardsies followed their lead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

If I knew all the answers to that then I would be the Minister for Health or the Taoiseach.
    What I do know is it is not going to be fixed by throwing money at it year on year as a sticking plaster solution which has been FG policy for the past 8 years while it has got progressively worse.

For a start it would help if we had people in charge who at least could cost a build. Unlike the shambles of the Children Hospital.
    A bit of joined up thinking to solve the immediate problems other than vote chasing would help. For example, does it make financial or practical sense when the way to alleviate the ever growing numbers attending A&E is to have them visiting their GP`s to throw money at free child care for under 8`s and filling up GP surgeries.

Something introduced by Reilly who showed what he really thought of primary care centers by shoe horning his own constituency with them.
    Varadkar did nothing while Minister other than criticise other ministers. After two doctors e now have a Minister that studied journalism before dropping out faik.

If you were a cynic you would easily get the impression that not only do FG not have a clue on how to solve them problem, other than spinning it for votes or detract they really could not care less about health care.

No, no you wouldn't. The two are incompatible it seems. You get health to earn your dues and pass it on to another sham.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Pro-government I would say. He was known to vote with Bertie too!

He got it hard last night in the Dail I see. :D

Michael Lowry is a liar.
    Michael Lowry is corrupt.
    Michael Lowry is a tax cheat.
    Michael Lowry is a convicted criminal.

These are not opinions but facts established by Tribunals & the Courts.

Mr Lowry has described these as defamatory. If he really feels that way, sue me.

https://twitter.com/ElaineByrne/status/1201990167055212544?s=19

https://twitter.com/KevDoyle_Indo/status/1201986974149730313?s=09

People have been hearing about the problem being alleviated with completed builds the now look on it as a "Live horse and you will get oats"

The housing crisis is not confined to the homeless or social housing it is also includes working families where there are up to three generations living in the one house due to the shortage and demand forcing up prices that do not see a "glimmer of hope" to purchase or even rent.
    Those are the people, working middle class, that do not generally march in protest but come an election those that do vote and register their anger at the pooling booth.

Anyone that thinks there is not anger out there on the building crisis, be it on homlessness or shortage of affordable accommodation to buy or rent is deluding themselves imho.

The whinging about the middle FG voters are the very ones happy to pretend that demographic aren't affected by the housing crisis. That way they can blame the victims of it rather than acknowledge the true sh*tshow it is.

True, if that was the problem. How do we have high employment and droves of lazy folk on the scratcher? I'm no math whizz but that's don't add up nor nuthin'.

Its the same way that you dont win at chess by removing the other player. MM doesnt want any sniff of an election till brexit is shored up and the longer he can leave FG there the more tyey lose out in polls, he’ll do anything to stop the collapse of that government while also flogging them publically every day, he’ll leave when he’s sure that FF have the numbers to win, which is important for him to do because as FF’s possibly weakest ever leader, making the other guys look awful is much easier than making him look good

yes eric, but what MM is doing makes sense, FG through entirely their own doing, are going to continue losing votes at this rate, in my opinion. through years of fcuking around! Would you do the same as him? its not like we need years more of this farce, the longer he waits within reason they more likely he is to be the bigger party of the two! Now I will call out those absolute hypocrites spoofers in the dail, they all are! But we cant be hypocrites ourselves, we would do exactly what he is doing! this chance doesnt come around too often , a party handing you back power, after everything that has happened here, with a booming economy. Its pretty unimaginable actually!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

Michael Lowry has repeatedly been tried and found not guilty in the only court that matters to him - the court of the North Tipperary* constituency voters.

* now Tipperary.

It's not just one individual. We've had the Healy Raes, Kenny and a few others as well. Who knows how many have fobbed in and left for the day? The system is broken and when you don't close off the loopholes people will exploit them legitimately.

Dara 'Air Miles' Murphy is his Dail nickname by all accounts. Him and Enda raise giggles when they turn up. Dara getting the new number in Europe raised it to public attention and after years of Leo doing what Leo does best, nothing, he's now forced to play the leader of the country on this. He hates that.

• Advertisement

Somebody has to get shafted, every major party has chosen working people who are forced to commute for hours to be the shaftee, I think its time we called for a ban on social housing inside the m50 and made those who don’t work the shaftee, if somebody has to lose, lets make it be the people who have the least to lose and contribute the least.

We can’t truly fix the ‘housing crisis’ without telling the NIMBYS , those on the social list and the georgian preservation society to jog on. , mountjoy square and surrounding areas would make a great area if tastefully renovated to modern apartments sold at affordable prices to those who work, instead of the filthy slum that it is now.

look at this farce! FARCE!!! no surprise who keeps this banana republic afloat! to think that FG are going to risk playing second fiddle to FF, partially because they wouldnt reward workers like they said they would, but shower margaret ca$h with well... cash! They receive ZERO welfare vote, so have absolutely nothing to lose, by addressing the welfare state, but they have everything to lose now from taxpaying voters who are deserting them! absolutely spineless inept, rats!

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/what-is-the-truth-about-paying-tax-in-ireland-1.4101097?fbclid=IwAR2RLyhnHW2oxnrukRN1mIpv6dV8wIG8bsYypfMqmfscls36oQXnHhRmUNQ

Advertisement