Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eoin Murphy no confidence vote

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

charlie14 wrote: »
    As we have had motions of no confidence in ministers before (if I`m not mistaken Frances Firzgerald being one example) that were carried and did not necessitate a GE, then there didn`t appear to be any other reason than attempting to cause distraction.

Indeed. If you look at the stock statements from Fine Gael about the vote, greatly echoed on these boards, the whole usage of words like 'stunt' and talk of an election nobody wants, was a concerted FG effort not to discuss the issue of Murphy's incompetence and FG's housing policy catastrophe.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It's a distraction. The original comment was regarding FG new branding of 'Social', allowing builds on our land we later lease or buy.

You've been found out again for posting nonsense, so you claim it's a distraction.

As we have had motions of no confidence in ministers before (if I`m not mistaken Frances Firzgerald being one example) that were carried and did not necessitate a GE, then there didn`t appear to be any other reason than attempting to cause distraction.

Was that the Frances Fitzgerald who was fully exonerated later by a Tribunal, having been forced out of office by an ultimatum from FF?

blanch152 wrote: »
    You've been found out again for posting nonsense, so you claim it's a distraction.

Quote my being found out wrong. Thanks.
    'Social' use to mean built for and owned by the tax payer. With only buying stock as an emergency stop gap. Now 'social' can mean bought or leased at market. Have the decency to clarify your claims.

The comment changed the tack of the discussion IMO. What's your gripe Blanch?

Was that the Frances Fitzgerald who was fully exonerated later by a Tribunal, having been forced out of office by an ultimatum from FF?

I wouldn't trust her to make the tea, based on her ineptitude while in office.

• Advertisement

Quote my being found out wrong. Thanks.
    'Social' use to mean built for and owned by the tax payer. With only buying stock as an emergency stop gap. Now 'social' can mean bought or leased at market. Have the decency to clarify your claims.

The comment changed the tack of the discussion IMO. What's your gripe Blanch?

As has been the case long before Fine Gael were in government. Rent Supplement, paid to landlords was not a Fine Gael creation, learn your history.

The Fianna Fail government stopped building social housing, Fine Gael have restarted it. Learn your history.

Your own posts have provided evidence of the success of Fine Gael's policy, yet you still deny it. Learn your history.

Three examples of where you have either denied the truth or ignored the truth, and that is just on housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Acosta

I wouldn't trust her to make the tea, based on her ineptitude while in office.

Her incompetence in the role and the mess the department was in would have been enough to force her to resign in most other Countries. Unfortunately in paddy land we don't hold people in high office to account. Nobody is ever to blame, which is one of the many reasons we have such a bad caliber of politicians. There is no standard.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Apartment blocks work well in the EU but not here. Is it the build quality? Or social aspect ie the majority of tenant's buy and take care of the block, here it seems some Dodgy characters are giving an apartment in a block (social) in X avenue, the block gets a name and starts to get worse. You could argue that's a policing issue too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I bet when FF take the reins it will all be sorted. Saying that for those who think I am spouting for FG. Not a chance anymore, they were given a chance but lost the plot.

Just like Labour. Lose your core vote and it's all over now.

I'd say the lady couldn't care less. Will be paid + expenses in EU much more than she was in Ministerial Office. They don't care.

• Advertisement

As has been the case long before Fine Gael were in government. Rent Supplement, paid to landlords was not a Fine Gael creation, learn your history.

The Fianna Fail government stopped building social housing, Fine Gael have restarted it. Learn your history.

Your own posts have provided evidence of the success of Fine Gael's policy, yet you still deny it. Learn your history.

Three examples of where you have either denied the truth or ignored the truth, and that is just on housing.

In your rush to score points in a game only you are interested in, you misunderstood.
    The topic was housing created under the plan. This included 'social' and 'new builds'. I clarified what those terms mean under FG.
    I am well aware of rent allowance, but that's your insertion.

I never made any claims about Fianna Fail other than they did not sell off all our stock. In any case I was talking about social builds on our land. The other poster made it about FF selling off stock. That was the diversion I mentioned.

Look, do both of us a favour and just leave me be. You don't like my opinions and will never change my view of Fine Gael, unless they change it with their actions. My opinions will not steal any votes from Fine Gael, I'm here to discuss policies/topics of the day.
    Your opinions, what ever they might be will not be swayed by me.
    So lets just discuss topics and stop the attack dog shenanigans.
    If you've no interest in my comments, don't feel the need to have Fine Gael's back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

In your rush to score points in a game only you are interested in, you misunderstood.
    The topic was housing created under the plan. This included 'social' and 'new builds'. I clarified what those terms mean under FG.
    I am well aware of rent allowance, but that's your insertion.

I never made any claims about Fianna Fail other than they did not sell off all our stock. In any case I was talking about social builds on our land. The other poster made it about FF selling off stock. That was the diversion I mentioned.

Look, do both of us a favour and just leave me be. You don't like my opinions and will never change my view of Fine Gael, unless they change it with their actions. My opinions will not steal any votes from Fine Gael, I'm here to discuss policies/topics of the day.
    Your opinions, what ever they might be will not be swayed by me.
    So lets just discuss topics and stop the attack dog shenanigans.
    If you've no interest in my comments, don't feel the need to have Fine Gael's back.

Can’t take the heat Matt.

Every night you vanish after numerous people decipher your claims and soundbites.

Rinse and repeat tomorrow.

Do you still claim FF didn’t sell off our social housing stock?

Can’t take the heat Matt.

Every night you vanish after numerous people decipher your claims and soundbites.

Rinse and repeat tomorrow.

Do you still claim FF didn’t sell off our social housing stock?

Show me one quote that fits this shyte talk of yours.

Yes, don't forget you said "all". You give me stats to prove your claim and I'll concede. What do we win?

EDIT:
    Renting from a local authority showed the largest increase, up 11 per cent from 129,033 in 2011 to 143,178 in 2016.
    https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-cp1hii/cp1hii/tr/

Now off to bed with you.

Show me one quote that fits this shyte talk of yours.

Yes, don't forget you said "all". You give me stats to prove your claim and I'll concede. What do we win?

“Tenants of council houses have been able to buy their homes from individual local authorities since the 1930s, and a scheme for the sale of council houses was introduced in 1973.

Most of all council housing ever built is now privately owned, with Simms houses the most likely to be in private hands. The discounts meant the proceeds of the sales could not fund the construction of new housing.

Greatest errors

Many in the social housing sector see this as one of the GREATEST ERRORS ever made by the State in relation to housing. Simon Brooke, director of policy with Clúid, the State’s largest housing association, describes it as “selling off the family silver”

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

What has that got to do with whether there actually was a constitutional requirement for a General Election as Fine Gael were claiming if the vote of no confidence in Eoghan Murphy was carried.

Btw for a supposedly Green supporter you are very fast jumping to the defence of Fine Gael where you suspect there may be even the slightest negative mention of them.

Just saying

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Limpy wrote: »
    Apartment blocks work well in the EU but not here. Is it the build quality? Or social aspect ie the majority of tenant's buy and take care of the block, here it seems some Dodgy characters are giving an apartment in a block (social) in X avenue, the block gets a name and starts to get worse. You could argue that's a policing issue too.

Apartment blocks work fine here too, my partner lives in one in the city centre and there are zero problems, my brother too, and other friends. People will buy apartments if we build them.

Indeed. If you look at the stock statements from Fine Gael about the vote, greatly echoed on these boards, the whole usage of words like 'stunt' and talk of an election nobody wants, was a concerted FG effort not to discuss the issue of Murphy's incompetence and FG's housing policy catastrophe.

They couldn`t even use the attempt to distract with the other Murphy without landing themselves in even more of the brown stuff.

Talk about taking incompetence to a new level

FG will be toast in the next election, but so be it. They had their chance and they fkd over their core vote. Labour Party comes to mind.

If you ignore your core vote you are definitely fkd.

So what do many think would solve For Example the housing issue?

It is only a crisis for those whose earnings are just above the criteria, and that is not much.

Tenants of council houses have been able to buy their homes from individual local authorities since the 1930s, and a scheme for the sale of council houses was introduced in 1973.

Most of all council housing ever built is now privately owned, with Simms houses the most likely to be in private hands. The discounts meant the proceeds of the sales could not fund the construction of new housing.

Greatest errors

Many in the social housing sector see this as one of the greatest errors ever made by the State in relation to housing. Simon Brooke, director of policy with Clúid, the State’s largest housing association, describes it as “selling off the family silver”.

You chancer. Caught out :)

'Most' now is it? Of course with less building and tenanats purchasing there is less stock than the Simms days. You show me how FF sold off "all" our housing stock like a good lad?

My added quote:
    Renting from a local authority showed the largest increase, up 11 per cent from 129,033 in 2011 to 143,178 in 2016.

It wasn't deck chairs they were renting.
    Is this me running off or some bollocks?

Now you explain to me how my explaining what social housing means under FG has to do with your false nonsense claim that FF sold off "all" our social housing stock?
    :)

FYI: Labour was the only party crying foul about selling off housing stock. And I was at a Labour event back in the Celtic Tiger days were the 'selling off the family silver' was first mentioned, (possibly by Professor P. J. Drudy) so sit down son.

You chancer. Caught out :)

'Most' now is it? Of course with less building and tenanats purchasing there is less stock than the Simms days. You show me how FF sold off "all" our housing stock like a good lad?

My added quote:

It wasn't deck chairs they were renting.
    Is this me running off or some bollocks?

Now you explain to me how my explaining what social housing means under FG has to do with your false nonsense claim that FF sold off "all" our social housing stock?
    :)

There is literally no point debating with you.

As numerous people point out you will never admit when been called out and proven wrong.

Like you asked of blanch let’s not bother anymore.

• Advertisement

There is literally no point debating with you.

As numerous people point out you will never admit when been called out and proven wrong.

Like you asked of blanch let’s not bother anymore.

FYI: you are not debating.

You were wrong. I don't care either way TBH. FF did not sell off 'all' our housing stock. This was your off road.

Social housing use to mean council built and owned, only buying in emergency stop gap times.
    Numerous my hole.

Cool with me. I've zero interest in posting and getting jumped on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

is this madness of social housing stock being sold off, still going on?

Idbatterim wrote: »

You see these are the details people don’t know about Ireland’s housing crisis.

Social housing stock sold off for votes by FF.

We have a crash, bailed out for 120 billion.

IMF come in in 2011 when we have too many houses.

We hadn’t a pot to piss in and we didn’t need to build loads of houses.

IMF leaves in 2016, economy picks up and suddenly we have no houses for the people who don’t bother their arses to contribute to society and want everything for nothing.

And here we are now, motions been passed to oust a minister in charge for 2 years and didn’t manage to spring up 100,000s of social housing overnight.

But Irish people need heads to roll to blame and have a whinge once in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

No she resigned.

And was rightfully proven to have done noting wrong.

More political stunts.

She misled not only the Dail, but her party leader and Taoiseach.

When was that proven otherwise:confused:

See above.

You see these are the details people don’t know about Ireland’s housing crisis.

Social housing stock sold off for votes by FF.

We have a crash, bailed out for 120 billion.

IMF come in in 2011 when we have too many houses.

We hadn’t a pot to piss in and we didn’t need to build loads of houses.

IMF leaves in 2016, economy picks up and suddenly we have no houses for the people who don’t bother their arses to contribute to society and want everything for nothing.

And here we are now, motions been passed to oust a minister in charge for 2 years and didn’t manage to spring up 100,000s of social housing overnight.

But Irish people need heads to roll to blame and have a whinge once in a while.

I kinda hate to burst your bubble here and show holes in your narrative but we don`t have houses for those that are in employment either and those are the people who turn out and vote.

I doubt history lessons from a party on 2011 when that party has held the reins of power since will carry a lot of weight with them.
    Especially with all the tax revenue that has been wasted and mismanaged in those 9 years since.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I'm sorry but iv'e little time for anyone who doesn't vote. If i had my way i'd make it compulsory for every citizen of the state who is able bodied and isn't away from the country come voting day. Those who don't should be fined or have funds deducted from wages by revenue or welfare by social services.

There is no excuse.

Forcing people to vote is the definition of anti-democracy...

Idbatterim wrote: »

I would guess so. If the criteria hasn't changed much long time tenants might be still eligible. Either way although we might lose stock, people would be buying them to live in so it wouldn't have much bearing on the housing crisis. Also you couldn't buy your council house unless you got a mortgage and had a job to pay it with.
    In the over 8 years of this crowd they've only made a piecemeal effort in recent times to build social housing, (and even that's fudged as they re-brand what constitutes social housing) all the while putting our tax money into leasing and buying rather than building.

I kinda hate to burst your bubble here and show holes in your narrative but we don`t have houses for those that are in employment either and those are the people who turn out and vote.

I doubt history lessons from a party on 2011 when that party has held the reins of power since will carry a lot of weight with them.
    Especially with all the tax revenue that has been wasted and mismanaged in those 9 years since.

When did we have houses for everyone in employment throughout the history is the state?

People had to save and make sacrifices to get a house.

Ask your parents what they had to do to get a house.

Nowadays Jacinta wants one NOW for her and her 4 kids and if she doesn’t get it she goes to the papers.

When did we have houses for everyone in employment throughout the history is the state?

People had to save and make sacrifices to get a house.

Ask your parents what they had to do to get a house.

Nowadays Jacinta wants one NOW for her and her 4 kids and if she doesn’t get it she goes to the papers.

When did we have such a shortage of houses for employed people in the state. In fact when did we have a situation where rental prices are is so high people in employment cannot afford to even rent ?

My parents were not middle class, they were working class.
    My father worked and my mother was a stay at home mother and they built their home using a mortgage.
    Nowadays with both working not just working class but middle class couples cannot afford to buy in Dublin, other major cities or large urban centers where the vast majority of employment is centered nowadays.

As I said, the type people who generally do not march, but they are the people who turn out to vote and express their views then.

• Advertisement

When did we have such a shortage of houses for employed people in the state. In fact when did we have a situation where rental prices are is so high people in employment cannot afford to even rent ?

My parents were not middle class, they were working class.
    My father worked and my mother was a stay at home mother and they built their home using a mortgage.
    Nowadays with both working not just working class but middle class couples cannot afford to buy in Dublin, other major cities or large urban centers where the vast majority of employment is centered nowadays.

As I said, the type people who generally do not march, but they are the people who turn out to vote and express their views then.

Did your parents have

I phones
    tablets
    Netflix subscriptions
    foreign holidays
    sky tv
    the latest gadgets
    50 inch TVs
    PlayStations
    x box’s
    Santa that costs 500 euro

The list goes on.

Remember when Macdonalds and take ways were a treat every few months?

Nowadays it’s every weekend.

People need two jobs because they need all this unnecessary crap in their lives.

Advertisement