Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eoin Murphy no confidence vote

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It was a problem that needed a 10 year plan to fix. If the present Govn't, FG + Indep's had started, they would now be half ways through and have the back broken on the problem.
    Fail to plan, plan to fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Dont worry, when FF get voted in in next election all will be sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Peter McVerry wrote a letter to the Irish Times today saying it is ok to be a thief if you are homeless (or poor presumably).

Not the first time he has made this point.

What we have at the moment is a homeless industry that needs to be challenged now.

Really? Could you link it up please, would like to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

blanch152 wrote: »
    Let us look at some facts.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-rppi/residentialpropertypriceindexseptember2019/

"In Dublin, residential property prices decreased by 1.3% in the year to September - house prices decreased by 1.5% and apartments decreased by 0.2%"

The Mid-East, the commuter belt, saw only small rises.

With wages rising by 5-6% according to the stats, then housing is more affordable this year than last.

A look at housing completions:

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/ndc/newdwellingcompletionsq32019/

"There were 5,667 new dwelling completions in Q3 2019. This compares with 4,645 completions for Q3 2018, an increase of 22.0%."

A 22% increase is not to be sniffed at, still not enough, but heading in the right direction, just like affordability.

Interestingly, these statistics do not include student accommodation. "In Q3 2019, 1,538 bed spaces were completed in the student accommodation sector".

That is a significant number of people being taken out of the normal rental market.

The story on rents is not as good, they are still going up, despite the rent controls.

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/research/ar/

So, the facts tell us that the price of property in Dublin is coming down, affordability is easier, the number of properties being built has significantly increased, but that rents are still at high levels. One of two things may be at play, either there is significant population increase/migration preventing rents falling with the increased supply, or rental changes are lagging behind the increase in supply. That should become clearer over the next year.

Government performance on housing in the last year should therefore be rated somewhere between a C and a D. Not bad enough to be considered a failure, not good enough to be considered a significant success, but the picture is one of slow improvement.

Considering this Fine Gael government has been in power since 2011 I would argue their record on housing and pretty much everything else has been utterly deplorable. I would give them an F. Eoin Murphy and his big brother Leo have been staggeringly inept and woefully wanting when it comes to the provision of the basic human right of having a roof over your head. We have 10,000 people classified as homeless, the worst since records began. The vast majority of these people are living in bnbs and hotels. Meanwhile you cant budge in Dublin for the construction of yet more hotels and office blocks, where is all the accommodation being built? Nama claimed possession of several thousand properties why werent these sold back on to the market immediately instead of being drip fed into the existing stock to maintain high prices ?

The irony is that Ireland's economy has mirrored the global economy in that both have been on an upward curve since june 2011. This 8 year bull market where stocks have consistently risen and gold is at a record high, will end sooner rather than later. When it does a homeless figure of 10,000 will seem small. The government should have given the two fingers to developers that the tax payer bailed out and started a campaign of mass building homes across the country. Leaving house building policy to private developers and vulture capitalists has destroyed the market and only benefited the wealthy. But i dont expect Murphy or Leo to appreciate any of that given their gilded lives leave them so very desperately out of touch. Meanwhile we have a minister for health who is overseeing the building of the most expensive hospital in the world, a childrens hospital more costly than the worlds tallest building, The Burj khalifa in Dubai.

Can I also remind people that the government continue to fight the EU's awarding of 13 billion euro over the Apple tax fiasco...

and they say the mafia in Italy are gangsters....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Peter McVerry wrote a letter to the Irish Times today saying it is ok to be a thief if you are homeless (or poor presumably).

Not the first time he has made this point.

What we have at the moment is a homeless industry that needs to be challenged now.

I read an article, linked to from a boards post, about the absolute gravy train this homeless industry is and how beneficial it is to the likes of mcverry...

• Advertisement

reg114, 10,000 homeless etc, thats the figure always trotted out! You know a bigger scandal never mentioned, working people paying nearly a thousand a month for a fcuking bedroom in dublin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Other article in Irish Times today about Dublin being ranked the worst city in the world for moving to in terms of finding housing.No surprises there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

I don't get this social housing thing. Are we looking for a state that provides an almost house to everyone who decides to have kids and not work, or is on low wages? Are they then considered homeless if they don't have a long term fixed address? What if they have loads of kids and they demand the same? How does this work in other rich countries?
    Also what's stopping the Gov from building block after block of flats for people who would struggle to get on the property market? They'd have to CPO a lot of land, but so be it. If they can invest 5 billion in broadband why can't they do this?

Because they don't want to solve the housing problem.

You think Eoin Murphy, Varadkar etc.. wine and dine with vulture fund managers and finance people or the average Joe/Jane bus driver or factory workers who's having to pay these outragous rents and mortgages (not that many can afford a mortgage).

FG are looking after their friends end of story.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    reg114, 10,000 homeless etc, thats the figure always trotted out! You know a bigger scandal never mentioned, working people paying nearly a thousand a month for a fcuking bedroom in dublin!

They are both scandals. FG are just pitting people against each other and those with below average intelligence are buying right into it.

Dont worry, when FF get voted in in next election all will be sorted

Sorry you think that but i'm afraid it won't. FG/FF, two cheeks same arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Who should we elect?

Give us a giggle.

Are you a Shinner, a PBPer...?

What's your recommendation?

Who should we elect?

Give us a giggle.

Are you a Shinner, a PBPer...?

What's your recommendation?

I can't stand SF and what they stand for (open borders etc..) but i do know that voting FFG over the last decades has lead us to ruin and will again so for the next election im willing to give SF the chance to prove me wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Any bit of respect for Roisín Shortall and SDs rapidly evaporating - complete farce of a vote. Pure political gamesmanship. Totally unproductive.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Water John

FF has had a long history of social housing. It springs from its voting base often rooted in small farms and labourers. The cottages built in the 1930s. The clear out of the Dublin slums.
    They moved away from that in the 1980s but MM has spoken a number of times on the need for Govn't to get reinvolved in social housing.
    Eoin O'Brin SF has also recently published a book on the matter. I would say, largely all those parties in the Dail, not in the present Govn't would be in favour of more Govn't intervention. They may have diff views on what form that should take.

whoosh

How would you even get anything built with all thr objections and nimbyisms anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I can't stand SF and what they stand for (open borders etc..) but i do know that voting FFG over the last decades has lead us to ruin and will again so for the next election im willing to give SF the chance to prove me wrong.

SF?? LOL! They love elections for sure and love being elected and drawing down the expenses. BUT ask them to do anything for their voters and the people of Ireland and they've sat on their hands. You have to judge people and politicians by what they do, not what they spout on about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Water John wrote: »
    It was a problem that needed a 10 year plan to fix. If the present Govn't, FG + Indep's had started, they would now be half ways through and have the back broken on the problem.
    Fail to plan, plan to fail.

Oh yeah when the IMF we’re here and we hadn’t a pot to piss in and too many houses??

Yeah that was the time to start building more.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

im willing to give SF the chance to prove me wrong.

Your call.

Are you willing to give more money to the welfare state?

That's what SF would do for their base.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

reg114 wrote: »
    Considering this Fine Gael government has been in power since 2011 I would argue their record on housing and pretty much everything else has been utterly deplorable. I would give them an F. Eoin Murphy and his big brother Leo have been staggeringly inept and woefully wanting when it comes to the provision of the basic human right of having a roof over your head. We have 10,000 people classified as homeless, the worst since records began. The vast majority of these people are living in bnbs and hotels. Meanwhile you cant budge in Dublin for the construction of yet more hotels and office blocks, where is all the accommodation being built? Nama claimed possession of several thousand properties why werent these sold back on to the market immediately instead of being drip fed into the existing stock to maintain high prices ?

The irony is that Ireland's economy has mirrored the global economy in that both have been on an upward curve since june 2011. This 8 year bull market where stocks have consistently risen and gold is at a record high, will end sooner rather than later. When it does a homeless figure of 10,000 will seem small. The government should have given the two fingers to developers that the tax payer bailed out and started a campaign of mass building homes across the country. Leaving house building policy to private developers and vulture capitalists has destroyed the market and only benefited the wealthy. But i dont expect Murphy or Leo to appreciate any of that given their gilded lives leave them so very desperately out of touch. Meanwhile we have a minister for health who is overseeing the building of the most expensive hospital in the world, a childrens hospital more costly than the worlds tallest building, The Burj khalifa in Dubai.

Can I also remind people that the government continue to fight the EU's awarding of 13 billion euro over the Apple tax fiasco...

and they say the mafia in Italy are gangsters....
    2011-2014 don't count as we were under the rule of the Troika. There were on average about 4000 commencements for each of those years. The first commitment for housing came in Budget 2015 with at least €800m a year allocated since, in recent years that has been well over €1bn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

touts wrote: »
    Murphy is utterly devoid of any talent, experience or ability for public office. His only qualification for the job is being one of Leo's brat-pack. He is typical of the new generation of FG TDs and candidates. Young. Elitist. Rich. No experience outside student politics and then party work. The likes of himself, Harris, Baily, O'Connell etc are totally out of their depth.

The housing crisis needs a leader who can look at the challenge and come up with new innovative solutions. It requires a combination of experience and intelligence. Murphy has neither the track record or mental ability to manage that job and should go.

I think he’s out of his depth as it was such a mess when he became housing minister. He also doesn’t seem to understand the harsh reality for many renters. Leo is the same. It may be difficult to empathise or understand how people are struggling if you’ve never experienced it due to being from a very privileged background. The fact that he thought the model for co-living would be “exciting” spoke volumes. It was then I realised how out of touch he really is.

They are building.

The most houses and social houses this year than the last 10 years.

There is no magic quick fix and all the parties know this.

It would be interesting to see how many of these houses were purchased by wealthy cuckoo funds as opposed to working people. As for the social houses, I’m sure this is ‘acquired’ as opposed to build which means these could be new HAP tenancies which again is expensive

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see how many of these houses were purchased by wealthy cuckoo funds as opposed to working people. As for the social houses, I’m sure this is ‘acquired’ as opposed to build which means these could be new HAP tenancies which again is expensive

No it’s houses built.

Why don’t you google it instead of guessing?

No it’s houses built.

Why don’t you google it instead of guessing?

Can you provide link please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

blanch152 wrote: »
    Let us look at some facts.
    The result of Fine Gael housing policy.

[/QUOTE]
    Dublin has been ranked the worst city in the world to find a place to live for expats in a new study published on Tuesday.

Ireland’s capital was in last place of the 82 cities surveyed in the Expat City Ranking 2019 by Internations, which is mainly a social community for expats, with San Francisco and Munich second and third worst[/QUOTE].

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Again, the people who brought this motion of no confidence, the SocDems was it? what would they do to fix the problem if they were in power? a grand total of f*ck all i'd imagine.

How would you even get anything built with all thr objections and nimbyisms anyway?

The locals don’t make planning decisions, abp do ultimately and they are allowing far more than they used too. I think they can see the endless sprawl etc is madness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Even after cooking the books to redefine 'homeless' Murphy and Fine Gael are Overseeing record breaking crises. There is no excuse at this stage. More and more working tax payers require state aid. LA's and the state are leasing off the very vulture funds who are driving up pricing.

The proof FG know they are at fault is both themselves and social media bots trying to make this no confidence vote about the people and party raising it rather than defending their failed disgusting policies on housing. Their spin and lies do not translate into solutions and everyone sees it.

That said their kissing cousins in Fianna Fail will bail them out.

Your call.

Are you willing to give more money to the welfare state?

That's what SF would do for their base.
    See this is the rock and hard place. Fg have been proven liars about rewarding work. But they are crucifying myself and mates on by far our biggest overhead. Housing. A euro or two a week back in income tax cuts or saving a fortune a week if sf do whet they say they would. And after all their talk , not making it a red line issue to forming a government, would make them look pretty stupid

• Advertisement

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    Can you provide link please ?

Only new account I can’t leave links yet.

Advertisement