Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eoin Murphy no confidence vote

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Glad Murphy fought back to shorthall that her and her party have objected to social housing and apartments in her area.

Sick of these hypocrite politicians.

Ivan Yeates pitting it up to her now.
    great, because I will tell you what all of these morons politicans have in common, not wanthig problems solved in their back yard! How dare more taxpayers live in MY locale :rolleyes: Do one, youve no more right to be there than anyone!

riemann wrote: »
    I think most people have lost any interest in the "homeless of Ireland, particularly Dublin".

When you have a significant proportion of people living in hotels (I know, imagine saying that 30 years ago), as a way to get moving up the housing ladder, combined with an unrepresentative % of applications from non-Irish persons.

Combined with child benefit incentivising single mothers having even more kids they can't afford, again moving them up the housing ladder.

The whole thing is a loop of greed, laziness and short sightedness.

I know there are loads of genuine cases, but I just don't care anymore.

yeah I agree, I have limited sympathy for some one them. Those being fcuked with outrageous rents, commutes etc, now they have my sympathy! Being a victim is a career here!

Another poster mentioned its like a runaway ball or train, I agree. The amounts of money are so insane, if you are going to give massively subsidized property to others, firstly its a moral disgrace. Then the demand for that is just going to grow and grow and grow! The rats will reap what they sow!

I definitely feel bad for the children in the homeless scenario though! Screwed over often by their parents and certainly the government are very culpable in this mess too, creating ridiculous dependency levels...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

As any handsome fellow knows, (see I'm at it now) it will. Why won't it? Unless the replacement carry on FG policies it'll change.

Yep, can't defend Murphy so go after the motives of pointing out his ineptness.
    Changing government is only a gesture when it's FF to FG/FF or to FF/FG.

That would be the one in government. Odd that :rolleyes:

The Blueshirts are out in force today :)

Ah, the magic wand argument, beloved of idiots and shysters!

Murphy loses the vote, the government falls, a general election take place, FF replace FG and and hey presto! thousands of social houses will pop out of the ground like mushrooms. How? Who can tell - apart from Matt and his magic wand!

Matt, I don't know what brainsharing scheme you're a member of, but I strongly recommend that you ask for a refund, because you're being ripped off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

So, I’m not allowed a query related to the topic?

I will again query how real the housing crisis is. I know that it gets a bit annoying, but what about personal responsibility?

By all means make you points afaic, dishonestly trying pass them off as questions to raise points you've made time and time again isn't honest.

171170 wrote: »
    Ah, the magic wand argument, beloved of idiots and shysters!

Murphy loses the vote, the government falls, a general election take place, FF replace FG and and hey presto! thousands of social houses will pop out of the ground like mushrooms. How? Who can tell - apart from Matt and his magic wand!

Matt, I don't know what brainsharing scheme you're a member of, but I strongly recommend that you ask for a refund, because you're being ripped off.

What on earth are you on about magic wand?

Oh, wait the con that we've no money or access to money, unless it's for a FG pal or project? :):)

Maybe we can borrow the wand paying for all the leasing of apartments and renting of hotels? Get out of it, that one is spent chief :)

Down to little digs? Sad. Beats addressing comments like an adult when you've ran out of road I suppose. Leo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

riemann wrote: »
    I think most people have lost any interest in the "homeless of Ireland, particularly Dublin".

When you have a significant proportion of people living in hotels (I know, imagine saying that 30 years ago), as a way to get moving up the housing ladder, combined with an unrepresentative % of applications from non-Irish persons.

Combined with child benefit incentivising single mothers having even more kids they can't afford, again moving them up the housing ladder.

The whole thing is a loop of greed, laziness and short sightedness.

I know there are loads of genuine cases, but I just don't care anymore.

What if the 10,000 homeless were if the Margaret Cash type?

I’d say people would change their tune quickly.

But that’s what annoys me, we’re not told anything about these people by the media or charity groups.

We’re supposed to believe they are law abiding citizens who genuinely need help.

No one ever investigates if these people were thrown out of previous accommodation.

I know a few families who were in emergency accommodation.

Let’s just say they weren’t exactly your typical working law abiding citizens who care about their fellow citizens.

It’s a complete scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,039 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So how are the numbers stacking up for this no confidence vote tonight ? And let's say it does go through and an election is called it would have to happen between Christmas Eve and the New Year. Not a hope TDs would vote for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So how are the numbers stacking up for this no confidence vote tonight ? And let's say it does go through and an election is called it would have to happen between Christmas Eve and the New Year. Not a hope TDs would vote for that.

Understand that Sinn Fein and Fianna Fail are going around begging independents to vote for Murphy. If worst comes to the worst, one of them is going to pull a sickie to ensure he survives.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.breakingnews.ie/ireland/ homeless-families-move-into-new-social-housing-development-in-dublin-937921.html

“Homeless families move into new social housing development in Dublin”

The 40 unit apartment block is made up of one to three-bedroom homes.

The residents range in age from one to 84.

Egle Riaukiele who was living in emergency accommodation with her two daughters said they were very happy to get the keys.

She said: "We came first day over here to have a look...we feel like we're in a home. We feel secure."

17-year-old Gabi Riaukaite has moved into the development on the Richmond Road after spending a year living with her mam and little sister in a hotel. She said life was hard there.

What a complete farce.

Go homeless, get 3 bed apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    For about the fifth time there will be no election from this, even if it passes. It's about him, not the government. Even the SDs have admitted as much.

• Advertisement

What a complete farce.

Go homeless, get 3 bed apartment.

Let us know how you go.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/losing_your_home/housing_options_for_homeless_people.html#lfd1dc

What?

Go on and get yourself a 3 bed. If it's so easy.

Go on and get yourself a 3 bed. If it's so easy.

Ah that old chestnut at.

No you’re alright.

I have dignity, pride, respect. And I want to pass that into my kids.

I work and pay for things I want in this world.

I’m not a moocher who is out to get everything at others expense.

But yeah good one Matt, that really makes sense.

Matt i know a lady with a kid, husband just left her. He owned the house, I think the lady spent a few weeks in a hotel , has now been given a two bed apartment. I mean if thats all it takes, you would think this is a hell of an attractive route to take. Market rent on apartment must be about E1800 a month, its in dublin on the quays...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

is_that_so wrote: »
    For about the fifth time there will be no election from this, even if it passes. It's about him, not the government. Even the SDs have admitted as much.

FG certainly don't fear an election as much as the opposition particularly when it comes to FF.

The stink of the crash will be with them for decades to exploit.

The rest of them literally are unelectable for governing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Why is this debate on so late?

Was Dara's flight from Brussels delayed?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Matt i know a lady with a kid, husband just left her. He owned the house, I think the lady spent a few weeks in a hotel , has now been given a two bed apartment. I mean if thats all it takes, you would think this is a hell of an attractive route to take. Market rent on apartment must be about E1800 a month, its in dublin on the quays...

I’d probably have sympathy for people in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,785 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

blanch152 wrote: »
    Understand that Sinn Fein and Fianna Fail are going around begging independents to vote for Murphy. If worst comes to the worst, one of them is going to pull a sickie to ensure he survives.

Fianna Fail are not voting, Sinn Fein brought the motion

Eoghan will survive thanks to the independents

Idbatterim wrote: »

If people are in need, we should try to help. Begrudging that level of help is a different issue. If we had social housing likely it would be more modest and cheaper.

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

SD's.

SD's.

Ross and McGrath indie clan

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

FG should let the ship go down. Another 4 or 5 months as a dead duck government presiding over one mess after another is only going to be very bad optics going into an election.

Bad move by the strategy people.

Eh, Social Democrats brought the motion. Neither Sinn Fein nor Fianna Fail want an election. They are going through the motions with this, encouraging others to stick with FG.

Eh, Social Democrats brought the motion. Neither Sinn Fein nor Fianna Fail want an election. They are going through the motions with this, encouraging others to stick with FG.

Sorry I thought SF brought the motion, just heard SF on the news saying they have no confidence in him so are they voting?

Sorry I thought SF brought the motion, just heard SF on the news saying they have no confidence in him so are they voting?

They are voting against Murphy, but if it is close, don't be surprised if one of them is absent unexpectedly.

Nobody wants to cause an election at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

I don't get this social housing thing. Are we looking for a state that provides an almost house to everyone who decides to have kids and not work, or is on low wages? Are they then considered homeless if they don't have a long term fixed address? What if they have loads of kids and they demand the same? How does this work in other rich countries?
    Also what's stopping the Gov from building block after block of flats for people who would struggle to get on the property market? They'd have to CPO a lot of land, but so be it. If they can invest 5 billion in broadband why can't they do this?

This is the problem, the govt are paying well over the odds to house the ever increasing “homeless “in the country...all cuckoo fund houses getting paid by state to house them... win win all around for the big boys.... and fg don’t care that middle income paye pays for it

FG certainly don't fear an election as much as the opposition particularly when it comes to FF.

The stink of the crash will be with them for decades to exploit.

The rest of them literally are unelectable for governing.
    Well, it will be a variation on what we have now with both main parties hoping to be the biggest. After that it's whoever they can gather around them. SF, I reckon will lose some seats, simply because their vote has declined and with the exit of GA, they will do well to hold all of them.

They are voting against Murphy, but if it is close, don't be surprised if one of them is absent unexpectedly.

Nobody wants to cause an election at Christmas.
    I'm not sure they'd follow through regardless of the perceived principle of it and it's more a case of focusing minds.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    I'm not sure they'd follow through regardless of the perceived principle of it and it's more a case of focusing minds.

The opposition want their principles but not an election.

Rather they just want to pull another gimmick on the way towards next May's election.

Advertisement