Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eoin Murphy no confidence vote

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

blanch152 wrote: »
    Giving another example of how people are fooled by the antics of politicians.

You're asking me to ask another poster to provide you something you've obviously been hammering out with him or her on another thread, and I'm asking specifically what it has to do with me?

Why don't you just ask them?

Simple enough really.

How did the green party vote does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Calhoun wrote: »
    The cuckoo funds aren't necessarily the worst thing to happen to the rental market. If you look at the rent increased in the pressure zones for the most part smaller landlords seem to be breaking the law and we have seen an increase of around 8-9% YoY compared to the cuckoo funds that are staying within the law.

The problem is the government has no real plans for increasing the domestic stock from a purchasing perspective, instead they give tax breaks to first time buyers which just end up increasing the asking price.

If they were to really address the issue they would supply builders with the revenue stream to build or a way to turn a decent profit.

Yes I agree, there needs to be more houses private houses put on market for families to buy. A lot of these are being snatched up by cuckoo funds.

You are spot on about the first time buyer incentive just increasing the prices. It hasn’t worked.

I disagree about the cuckoo funds being a good thing, I think they are making the situation worse as families can’t compete with those prices. A development in Maynooth which had sold 84 dwelling to private buyers recently has now sold 150 dwellings to a cuckoo fund for €53 million.

This is 150 families prevented from buying very much sought after housing stock thus squeezing the market further and increasing prices. Of course this will be far more attractive to a builder, all those units in one clean purchase is much easier I’m sure.

Any new cuckoo funds will charge very high rent as they know they’ll be only able to increase it by a certain amount each year. RPZ have made the rental market worse as most new landlords now charge much higher rent because they know they can only increase it by a certain amount . It doesn’t work anyway as it’s not monitored and renters are so desperate they take what they can particularly if they have children in schools and crèches in an area.

If it was capped in areas at a certain amount it would be different but it’s not. What the cuckoo funds will do is charge extortionate rent and rent them out. A good example of this is the council renting from cuckoo fund in Dundrum. Once again it is creating an ‘us verses them’ mentality however it is the government that should be held accountable for renting these houses at €3000 as is not sustainable long term. It would be far cheaper to build houses and receive rental income.

Do cuckoo funds have to pay tax subject to rental rates or can they avail of corporate tax rates? It would be interesting to find this out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Watched it live online. Eoghan Murphy’s speech was staged to within an inch of its life. He must have been rehearsing for the past week, full of fake emotion and hand gestures, sad.

Last night was just a bit of theatre for the cameras. All started for publicity by the Soc-Dems.

The real discussions and deals were done in the party offices and in quiet chats between TDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Last night was just a bit of theatre for the cameras. All started for publicity by the Soc-Dems.

The real discussions and deals were done in the party offices and in quiet chats between TDs.

Yeah, as I said, sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

This is one guy I can't stand.
    He's useless.

Wasn't it his grandad that swindled Gay Byrne of over 100 grand years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭winter2019

This is one guy I can't stand.
    He's useless.

Wasn't it his grandad that swindled Gay Byrne of over 100 grand years ago.

Russell Murphy yes

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Survived by 3 votes, apparently Grealish, Naughten and Lowry were the amigo's that had the deciding vote.
    They still would have won because Lowry is a very reliable vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

is_that_so wrote: »

Correct me if I'm wrong but if Grealish and Naughten voted against the figures would have been 58 no confidence and 57 confidence. That would have been a lost vote for the government.
    Although I see Naughten is getting it in the neck for his support locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Sheepdish1 wrote: »
    Yes I agree, there needs to be more houses private houses put on market for families to buy. A lot of these are being snatched up by cuckoo funds.

You are spot on about the first time buyer incentive just increasing the prices. It hasn’t worked.

I disagree about the cuckoo funds being a good thing, I think they are making the situation worse as families can’t compete with those prices. A development in Maynooth which had sold 84 dwelling to private buyers recently has now sold 150 dwellings to a cuckoo fund for €53 million.

This is 150 families prevented from buying very much sought after housing stock thus squeezing the market further and increasing prices.

Im not sure if this is entirely good or bad. Maynooth has a wild shortage of rentals too.

• Advertisement

Sheepdish1 wrote: »

This is 150 families prevented from buying very much sought after housing stock thus squeezing the market further and increasing prices. Of course this will be far more attractive to a builder, all those units in one clean purchase is much easier I’m sure.

Any new cuckoo funds will charge very high rent as they know they’ll be only able to increase it by a certain amount each year. RPZ have made the rental market worse as most new landlords now charge much higher rent because they know they can only increase it by a certain amount . It doesn’t work anyway as it’s not monitored and renters are so desperate they take what they can particularly if they have children in schools and crèches in an area.

If it was capped in areas at a certain amount it would be different but it’s not. What the cuckoo funds will do is charge extortionate rent and rent them out. A good example of this is the council renting from cuckoo fund in Dundrum. Once again it is creating an ‘us verses them’ mentality however it is the government that should be held accountable for renting these houses at €3000 as is not sustainable long term. It would be far cheaper to build houses and receive rental income.

Do cuckoo funds have to pay tax subject to rental rates or can they avail of corporate tax rates? It would be interesting to find this out
    So-called cuckoo funds are largely REIT and there are very specific rules around them. They pay tax on profit and have to return a large chunk of what they get to shareholders. Such REITs function in other countries very well. They are not naturally in competition with individual buyers and are more often found buying and managing blocks of apartments. Bear in mind that the cost of these apartments includes council conditions and costs. We currently do not have enough rentals and given the high rents they look like they are gouging but no more than any other landlord. In a more normal market rents would be lower for them and everyone else.

FG independent.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if Grealish and Naughten voted against the figures would have been 58 no confidence and 57 confidence. That would have been a lost vote for the government.
    Although I see Naughten is getting it in the neck for his support locally.
    On the basis of how it worked out yes. My point is Lowry votes with governments. Naughten is FG gene pool so on balance would be a yes anyway, Grealish, his own foolishness aside, was a member and leader of an establishment party. Locals would have given him more grief if he was part of the cabal that threw up a Christmas election. It will be forgotten.

FG independent.

Pro-government I would say. He was known to vote with Bertie too!

On the basis of how it worked out yes. My point is Lowry votes with governments. Naughten is FG gene pool so on balance would be a yes anyway, Grealish, his own foolishness aside, was a member and leader of an establishment party. Locals would have given him more grief if he was part of the cabal that threw up a Christmas election. It will be forgotten.

In Naughten's case he has a few more problems to deal with locally, he just created another one last night that he didn't need.

In Naughten's case he has a few more problems to deal with locally, he just created another one last night that he didn't need.
    On balance it was the right choice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

This is why I don't vote. My Parents vote Fina Fail, they shouldn't bother next time, as they are not doing their jobs!

Any Minister who is in attendance and does not cast a vote should, get firstly a 50% reduction wages for the year, second time doing it struck off for every running again.

On balance it was the right choice.

For FG it was, for Denis I doubt it. His reason d'être is no longer an issue, he lost that battle.
    Anyway I digress off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

Having Irish children is the most important contribution to society that any Irish person can make.

Absolutely and every single one of them should be cherished. A child born in Finglas, Foxrock or Jobstown is of equal importance to the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭enricoh

I'm neither a landlord or a renter but Murphy was bringing in anti landlord legislation monthly at one stage.
    Real populist crap to keep the media AAA/pbp at Bay. A blind man could see landlords exiting the sector but no matter- tough guy Murphy was sorting them out.
    10 years ago I would have said I'd be thinking of getting an investment property for my pension around now. Nowadays I wouldn't touch one with a bargepole!

• Advertisement

For FG it was, for Denis I doubt it. His reason d'être is no longer an issue, he lost that battle.
    Anyway I digress off topic.
    For the greater good it was! :D If they are that stupid to kick him out for not voting for Christmas then they deserve whatever they get!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

This is why I don't vote. My Parents vote Fina Fail, they shouldn't bother next time, as they are not doing their jobs!

Any Minister who is in attendance and does not cast a vote should, get firstly a 50% reduction wages for the year, second time doing it struck off for every running again.

I'm sorry but iv'e little time for anyone who doesn't vote. If i had my way i'd make it compulsory for every citizen of the state who is able bodied and isn't away from the country come voting day. Those who don't should be fined or have funds deducted from wages by revenue or welfare by social services.

There is no excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Im not sure if this is entirely good or bad. Maynooth has a wild shortage of rentals too.

Exactly, and places like Intel, a short drive away, have workers coming in and out who need rentals for a year or two, maybe more, but do not want to buy let alone those who come in for six months.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

So a Minister, who has an extremely busy job, misses a vote, should lose 50% of their salary? Seriously?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Great timing from Dara Murphy this morning. Is there any honour in FG anymore? Will he pay back the dodgy expenses?
    How do these clowns get such blind obedience on Boards? It's embarrassing.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/1204/1096940-dara-murphy-politics/
    Fine Gael's Dara Murphy has resigned his seat as TD for Cork North Central.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/fine-gael-minister-says-dara-murphy-should-pay-back-expenses-968012.html
    Communications Minister Richard Burton said Mr Murphy now needs to show his expense claims were justifiable.

Mr Bruton said: “Now he needs to account for what claims he made and whether those claims were justifiable.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

blanch152 wrote: »
    Exactly, and places like Intel, a short drive away, have workers coming in and out who need rentals for a year or two, maybe more, but do not want to buy let alone those who come in for six months.

There is a chronic shortage of rental units however these rental units will likely be very expensive to rent. There is no rent caps on areas, this is a huge problem. A 3 bed semi could be put on market for €2000 per month. It’s ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As well as investment funds buying up properties to rent them out at ridiculous levels, the other big problem facing individuals or families looking to rent or buy is the councils who are at the same craic.

I live in an end of terrace house in the Midlands. The one immediately beside me is being rented out to a foreign lad via the council. The one at the other end was sold a few months ago to the council and has been idle since (I'm guessing they need to wait for the budget reset in the new year before they refit it - unnecessarily I might add as it's in great condition as it is).

The same story is common elsewhere. Meanwhile the likes of me on "good money" (from what we're told the averages are) commutes an hour each way to work and stuck renting as well. Although even if I could afford a deposit, I'd be competing against the council, couples and investors so long term I'm not sure what I'll do.

The system is badly broken though when people are being accommodated for next to nothing in and around Dublin and don't work, or couldn't otherwise afford to live in those areas - while others like myself spend a fortune in fuel and sit in traffic every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,184 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Great timing from Dara Murphy this morning. Is there any honour in FG anymore? Will he pay back the dodgy expenses?
    How do these clowns get such blind obedience on Boards? It's embarrassing.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/1204/1096940-dara-murphy-politics/

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/fine-gael-minister-says-dara-murphy-should-pay-back-expenses-968012.html

Rearguard action after rearguard action will take it's toll.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

enricoh wrote: »
    I'm neither a landlord or a renter but Murphy was bringing in anti landlord legislation monthly at one stage.
    Real populist crap to keep the media AAA/pbp at Bay. A blind man could see landlords exiting the sector but no matter- tough guy Murphy was sorting them out.
    10 years ago I would have said I'd be thinking of getting an investment property for my pension around now. Nowadays I wouldn't touch one with a bargepole!

I mean, nearly all of this is diarrhoea but everyone needs to realise people treating property as a pension fund is a huge part of what has us in this mess.

• Advertisement

Rearguard action after rearguard action will take it's toll.

I think the only reason Burton said what he said was damage limitation. Do they really think people are stupid enough to believe that party members were not aware of Murphy double jobbing but failing miserably at his elected job.

Advertisement