Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change from Dropbox to One Drive?

Options
  • 03-12-2019 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I run a small business two users and as I'm out of the office most of the time. I have found dropbox to be very good for our needs. However I'm buying two new pc's and am conscious that dropbox takes up memory on the SSD.

I will probably update to MS Office 365 so should I change from dropbox and use the Google one drive cloud storage which comes with MS Office?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Do you mean the dropbox process takes up too much RAM?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭pavb2

Do you mean the dropbox process takes up too much RAM?

Hi Robert,

No all the dropbox files are also held on the computer's hard drive taking up space, dropbox is effectively a back up program. I know you can do a selective sync on dropbox where not all the files are held on the hard drive but this seems a bit messy. I suppose what I'm looking for is cloud based storage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Onedrive functions in the same way. It only did things the way you are looking for with Windows 8, but a lot of users found it too confusing, when selecting a file, that appeared in a folder, they had to wait to download it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭pavb2

OK so if I understand correctly there's no point in changing to One drive to simply save SSD space.

At the moment I've got 50 gb of documents and photos so buying a laptop with 225 gb SSD will take up a big chunk of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

OneDrive has an option for 'free up space'. This basically keeps a record of the file on your hard drive, but the actual file is stored in the cloud, so it frees up the space. You can then download the file(s) if you require them. I use this option frequently on my laptop with limited space, with older files that I don't need to access often. It works well for my needs. I'm not sure if Dropbox has a similar option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

pavb2 wrote: »
    I will probably update to MS Office 365 so should I change from Dropbox and use the Google one drive cloud storage which comes with MS Office?
    Just to be on the right track - OneDrive is MS product and has nothing to do with Google(drive) :D

Both cloud storage solutions can work from browser(no sync), but with Dropbox you limited re document editing.

Selective sync available on OneDrive as well - just ticking boxes, but you might not be up to date with your colleague sharing files.

If I'm right, you buying lower spec PC's and i understand you. As much i know 500GB SSD's shelf models almost double the price (perhaps bit higher other specs)

As an option, you could add HDD's(or SSD's) internally, then move Dropbox/OneDrive folders to secondary drive.

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/move-dropbox-folder

https://support.office.com/en-ie/article/change-the-location-of-your-onedrive-folder-f386fb81-1461-40a7-be2c-712676b2c4ae

Component drives are down the price these days - €50 1TB HDD) / 0.5TB SSD is very cheap upgrade.
    External USB drives can be used as well

Advertisement