Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Control of information

• 03-12-2019 9:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

Kinda funny, don't you think, how a very very few people can make information disappear from the Internet?

Like it never existed at all...

Pretty powerful position to be in, I'd say. Very dangerous too, because controlling information can quite literally steer people to whatever direction these few people decide.

If all mention of the Antarctic was erased, and all future information forbidden, and a sustained disinformation education begun... How long until the Antarctic doesn't "exist"? :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

beejee wrote: »
    Kinda funny, don't you think, how a very very few people can make information disappear from the Internet?

Pretty powerful position to be in, I'd say. Very dangerous too, because controlling information can quite literally steer people to whatever direction these few people decide.

If all mention of the Antarctic was erased, and all future information forbidden, and a sustained disinformation education begun... How long until the Antarctic doesn't "exist"? :p

The internet is not the only depository of knowledge in the world. Any library will have at least one book acknowledging the existence of the Antarctic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The Antarctic what, exactly?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

southpark.jpg?w=300

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I never believed it existed anyway. It's like Atlantis, right?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    The internet is not the only depository of knowledge in the world. Any library will have at least one book acknowledging the existence of the Antarctic.

Libraries won't last, unfortunately. But, for example, a certain topic you yourself may have posted in, just gone, forever, forever, forever... :p

Maybe you've forgotten already. Effective!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I never believed it existed anyway. It's like Atlantis, right?

What about Uranus? Does Uranus exist? I've never seen Uranus. Have you seen Uranus? Has anyone else here seen Uranus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

Information is just facts.

2+2 will always equal 4.

I’ll still get up in the morning and go to work.

There was no internet in 1927.

Don’t see an issue.

Allinall wrote: »
    Information is just facts.

2+2 will always equal 4.

I’ll still get up in the morning and go to work.

There was no internet in 1927.

Don’t see an issue.

We'll, I'm being very specific here. There was a thread about the "fairy tale of new york" song, and now it's not there. For me at least. All record of it erased, it's not listed in my "posts", and perhaps it's the same for all other posters too. I remember woke Hogan posted in it.

I made a joke about people complaining about every little thing, typical "I'm offended" stuff, obviously exaggerated. And I am presuming a complaint was made, and poof, all gone.

Unless it's just me. I dunno :p

Ah whatever sure. Just makes you think, that's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Also scary that people can post sh1t and others will consider it information.

Ipso wrote: »
    Also scary that people can post sh1t and others will consider it information.

Very true. Although you may find that the control of conversation is far more powerful than a bit of nonsense. I mean, you could eliminate concensus views when it doesn't fit a wanted narrative, for example.

Then, hey presto, you can present your very carefully curated "concensus" as "sure look, that's what most people think, see?!"

You know what I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

We'll, I'm being very specific here. There was a thread about the "fairy tale of new york" song, and now it's not there. For me at least. All record of it erased, it's not listed in my "posts", and perhaps it's the same for all other posters too. I remember woke Hogan posted in it.

I would also be interested to learn why that was deleted. Most odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

There is only a handful of human users on this site. The rest are bots. Look at Beasty. Have you even seen him? No, he is an AI algorithm designed by the super elitist left wing communifascist conservatives!! Wake up people!!!!

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

To quote Neil Peart

Truth is after all a moving target. Hairs to split. And pieces that don't fit. How can anybody be enlightened? Truth is after all so poorly lit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

I would also be interested to learn why that was deleted. Most odd.

Perhaps the OP was known to be a rampant re-reg troll? I'm only speculating now.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

The antarctic will go the way of longford....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

dont forget boards is just another business (im allowed say that, arent i?)

posters, lurkers, otters etc are just the patrons

if something is bad for said business... (im pretty sure business welcomes anyones money)

Mad suspo, boss!

I think it's very easy to correctly guess exactly why it disappeared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Mad suspo, boss!

I think it's very easy to correctly guess exactly why it disappeared.

Give us a clue.

or maybe there is no boards and you're strapped to a bed in psych ward somewhere like a head of cabbage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Like how all fishermen know Atlantis is between ireland and Iceland but they have hidden all mention of it in the mainstream media. If you talk about it they lock you up in the secret rededucation camps. Wake sheeple

I'd guess that it was considered "anti-homosexual".

It started with the perennial "fagot" in fairy tale of new york", and then someone popped up to call it insensitive and that the word should be banned. They also managed, quite easily, to insert "blackface", white people using "niggor" in songs, confederate stuff (as in, slavery in the United states) as something to "consider" basically.

Over the top nonsense, in short. Most of the posts were just stating a point of view on the song, some took the Mickley out of the oversensitivities.

Someone posted a rearranged version of the lyrics, taking the Mickley, and then I posted...

Actually, I still have the post saved as "copy", so here you go.
    I think someone complained, and everything was erased. Make your own judgement. HOWEVER... I will say that my guess could be wrong. You never know.
    sligojoek wrote: »
    Politically Correct version of FONY
    by Paddy Murray

It was December 24th, equal status female friend,
    In the area set aside for the treatment of those with alcohol problems,
    A senior citizen suggested that i seek medical help for fear that I may suffer fatal consquences from my condition in the coming twelve months,
    Then he sang a song,
    Which appeared to be about an alcoholic drink,
    I was a bit rude, I admit, and turned away,
    But I fell asleep and I dreamed of you.

I had a bet today - though I know that offends those in many religions -
    And it came in at eighteen to one,
    I have a feeling,
    This year’s for me and you,
    So Happy Christmas/Hannukah/Ramadan/Winter Solstice*
    I love you equal status female friend,
    I can see a better time,
    When all our dreams come true

They’ve got high emission mechanically propelled vehicles the size of licensed premises,
    They’ve got rivers of gold,
    But the wind goes right through you,
    And those in their senior years really should wrap up well or, better still, stay indoors,
    When you first took my hand,
    On a cold December 24th,
    You promised me Broadway was waiting for me.

You were handsome but not in a way that suggests other males were less so,
    And you were handsome too, in a similar way,
    Queen of New York City,
    When the band finished playing,
    They cheered and shouted “encore”
    Sinatra was swinging - though not in the irresponsible, partner swapping sexual sense,
    And those with alcohol problems were singing,
    We kissed on a corner
    And danced through the night.

And the boys of the NYPD choir,
    Were singing Galway bay,
    And the bells were ringing out,
    For the 25th of December.

You are clearly short of money,
    And you like Seventies music similar to that once produced by the Sex Pistols,
    And you, it has to be said, appear to be a woman of loose morals with a heroin problem,
    Evidenced by the fact that you’re in hospital and on a drip to boot,
    You’re not a nice person and you remind me of an insect of the kind people often use when they go fishing,
    You are not expensive and you are possibly homosexual not that there’s anythiing wrong with that,
    Happy Christmas/Hannukah/Ramadan/Winter Solstice* my bottom,
    I pray to God/Buddah/Muhhamed/Yahweh/Nobody at all that we don’t have another one.

Were singing Galway bay,

I could have been someone,
    Well,that’s true of everyone,
    You took my dreams from me
    When I first found you,
    I kept them with me equal status female friend,
    I put them with my own,
    Can’t make it all alone,
    I built my dreams around you.

Were singing Galway bay,

That's a good effort, but I'm afraid you are still little more than an animal. An animal that needs to be PUNISHED!!

You have failed to take into account, and therefore offended the following...

Dyslexics
    Non-English speakers (you colonialist pig)
    Hearing-impaired (mocking their ability to listen to music)
    Visually impaired (check your privilege, not everyone can read)
    Pansexuals who who cannot relate to hetero-normals
    Heteroflexibles, for confusing them even further
    New yorkers, for culturally appropriating their city
    Africans, for some very valid reason
    Animalists, for the purposeful exclusion of furry things
    Martians, for your earth-centric villainy

Be-spectacled trans-pan-peterpans for obvious reasons.

And so forth. Not only do you deserve to die painfully, have your family taken from you and be publicly humiliated forever, you must ALSO attend a mandatory class in bi-guy joy-fly education to avoid further micro aggressions.

Disgusting animal, you make me sick!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

caff wrote: »
    Like how all fishermen know Atlantis is between ireland and Iceland but they have hidden all mention of it in the mainstream media. If you talk about it they lock you up in the secret rededucation camps. Wake sheeple

Bloody commies.

i saw that and thought it quite good, very smart humour indeed, i even namechecked ya to hopefully spot future lolz

sorry to hear it ran afoul of tptb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

I'd guess that it was considered "anti-homosexual".

It started with the perennial "fagot" in fairy tale of new york", and then someone popped up to call it insensitive and that the word should be banned. They also managed, quite easily, to insert "blackface", white people using "niggor" in songs, confederate stuff (as in, slavery in the United states) as something to "consider" basically.

Over the top nonsense, in short. Most of the posts were just stating a point of view on the song, some took the Mickley out of the oversensitivities.

Someone posted a rearranged version of the lyrics, taking the Mickley, and then I posted...

Actually, I still have the post saved as "copy", so here you go.
    I think someone complained, and everything was erased. Make your own judgement. HOWEVER... I will say that my guess could be wrong. You never know.

That's a good effort, but I'm afraid you are still little more than an animal. An animal that needs to be PUNISHED!!

You have failed to take into account, and therefore offended the following...

Dyslexics
    Non-English speakers (you colonialist pig)
    Hearing-impaired (mocking their ability to listen to music)
    Visually impaired (check your privilege, not everyone can read)
    Pansexuals who who cannot relate to hetero-normals
    Heteroflexibles, for confusing them even further
    New yorkers, for culturally appropriating their city
    Africans, for some very valid reason
    Animalists, for the purposeful exclusion of furry things
    Martians, for your earth-centric villainy

Be-spectacled trans-pan-peterpans for obvious reasons.

And so forth. Not only do you deserve to die painfully, have your family taken from you and be publicly humiliated forever, you must ALSO attend a mandatory class in bi-guy joy-fly education to avoid further micro aggressions.

Disgusting animal, you make me sick!!

Whatever you’re trying to do isn’t working.

its working for me

certainly tickling my abstract sense of humour

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Whatever you’re trying to do isn’t working.

Whatever about your wife's laments, you don't get it because you're a jabronie mark, broke Hogan :p

LaFuton wrote: »
    its working for me

certainly tickling my abstract sense of humour

May I present the sequel to hetero flexible, hetero-compressible.

This is a poorly understood sexual aversion to inflation via homo-inflexible apparatus. Rather, the hetero-compressible compounds, as it were, into a more densely compacted humanoid in the face of non-hetero assault. Much like a hedgehog, in fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Flat Earthers UNITE!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Flat Earthers UNITE!!

Dyslexics, UNTIE!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

jaxxx wrote: »
    What about Uranus? Does Uranus exist? I've never seen Uranus. Have you seen Uranus? Has anyone else here seen Uranus?

What about it?It surely does!Im sure you havent.I have once but id rather forget about it.Unless my ex posts here then no.

I actually forgot what this thread was about while laughing at your post:D

May I present the sequel to hetero flexible, hetero-compressible.

This is a poorly understood sexual aversion to inflation via homo-inflexible apparatus. Rather, the hetero-compressible compounds, as it were, into a more densely compacted humanoid in the face of non-hetero assault. Much like a hedgehog, in fact.

cool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

There is only a handful of human users on this site. The rest are bots. Look at Beasty. Have you even seen him? No, he is an AI algorithm designed by the super elitist left wing communifascist conservatives!! Wake up people!!!!

You are posting in jest in part but yes there are a lot of bot posters on this s(h)ite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

jaxxx wrote: »

Well I can't confirm the exitence of Uranus, but I have it on good authority that Mianus has enough people living in it to require it's own elementary school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Plopsu wrote: »
    Well I can't confirm the exitence of Uranus, but I have it on good authority that Mianus has enough people living in it to require it's own elementary school.

Found the bot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

topper75 wrote: »
    Found the bot.

Or the post you quoted refers to a town in the US :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

I made a joke about people complaining about every little thing, typical "I'm offended" stuff, obviously exaggerated. And I am presuming a complaint was made, and poof, all gone.

Unless it's just me. I dunno :p

Ah whatever sure. Just makes you think, that's all.

Was just about to post a link to Shane Magowens take on the fuss and thread just disappeared by the time I hit the reply button. Weird.

Advertisement