Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jessica Yaniv refused service at gynaecologist's office

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

You cannot biologically change your gender at any point in life.

Born a man, you’ll die a man.

XY chromosome equals a man

I can legally state I’m a giraffe but it doesn’t mean I am one, equally I can walk around on all fours and bark and say I’m a dog. I can put on a dress and say I’m a woman.

Won’t change the fact I’ve got a cock and balls and a prostate

You're conflating gender identity with biological sex.

You can change your gender identity at will.

You can never change your biological sex.

We can have gender neutral spaces and spaces for people with a male gender identity, and spaces for people with a female gender identity, and spaces for people who are biologically male, and spaces for people who are biologically female.

The spaces for people with a male gender identity and for those who are biologically male don't have to always overlap.

Spaces for biological males only are necessary and shouldn't be seen as impinging on the rights or identities of female-bodied people with male gender identities.

The spaces for people with a female gender identity and for those who are biologically female don't have to always overlap.

Spaces for biological females only are necessary and shouldn't be seen as impinging on the rights or identities of male-bodied people with female gender identities.

Unfortunately, there seems to be an influential minority of male-bodied people with female gender identities who wish to force all spaces for biological females to be opened to them, and who use threats of violence and actual violence to try to ride roughshod over the interests and rights of biological females.

The fact that they have managed to characterise their sometimes violent, frequently misogynistic ideology as 'progressive' and all of their opponents as 'transphobes' is a clear attempt to force their way into spaces that should only be for biological females, and they need to be defeated so that biological females have the spaces they need for themselves alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Unfortunately, there seems to be an influential minority of male-bodied people with female gender identities who wish to force all spaces for biological females to be opened to them, and who use threats of violence and actual violence to try to ride roughshod over the interests and rights of biological females.

The fact that they have managed to characterise their sometimes violent, frequently misogynistic ideology as 'progressive' and all of their opponents as 'transphobes' is a clear attempt to force their way into spaces that should only be for biological females, and they need to be defeated so that biological females have the spaces they need for themselves alone.

Absolute word salad there.

If you can change your gender at will, then gender means absolutely **** all and should have no legal recognition.

The law should only recognise things that are measurable and definite. You can't and shouldn't legislate for things that can't be defined.

Men are men, women are women. Couldn't give a flying **** how you choose to identify. It doesn't change a damn thing.

Add gender fluid into the mix just to make things interesting. I'm surprised Yanis hasn't claimed this to explain the retention of the meat and two veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭ingalway

Calhoun wrote: »
    I know your joking but it was an attempt at rebrand and to tack on to LGBT lettering. They believe they are ok because as long as they are only attracted and don't act on it then its all ok.

They don't seem to understand though having an age specific attraction range does not mean its a sexuality.

They were quickly told to go and sling their hook by the LGBT and straight community which was great to see.

https://twitter.com/DanKravitz4/status/1199250044123275269?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

I might try that next year when my car insurance is up

• Advertisement

Fine, just a pity it wont make a difference to your insurance premium :P

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭ingalway

• Registered Users Posts: 23,933 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

ingalway wrote: »

I could probably get why you say they’re worth listening to - because they’re not the same shouty, in your face, “I know my rights” types as a lot of the more prominent “personalities” on social media and in politics are. At the same time they’re not saying anything different to what Yanniv and anyone else who identifies themselves as transgender is essentially saying - that they are their preferred gender and wish to be identified and treated as such.

Throughout the article in the Spectator, and in their article in physics world*, they refer to themselves as female and as a woman. That runs in direct contradiction to the basis of people’s objections throughout this thread - that no matter how one identifies themselves, they are neither female, nor women, or as the person in that article suggests - people who identify themselves as non-binary, aren’t. I suppose in that sense at least their opinions aren’t any different from a lot of people here who object to the idea of people being recognised in law as their preferred gender, the sole purpose of which is to be protected from discrimination on the basis of their gender.

*I could have picked their opinions apart in that Spectator article as I disagree with much of what they have written, but the most glaring contradiction in what they’ve written, apart from trying to convince anyone that they should be perceived as their preferred gender, was this -

The new generation of LGBTQ+ activists may claim that the rush for transgender and non-binary rights mirrors the gay rights activism of 30 years ago, but those campaigners only ever fought for equal rights. They never campaigned for the right to change how other people think.

Which is contrary to the headline of the article in physics world -

Gender balance, one woman at a time

In which they use the language of the modern social justice advocacy movement in the same way Yanniv has done, to claim this -

What can be done to increase the number of women in physics? This question keeps committees busy and researchers funded, but the solution seems as elusive as squaring the circle. Four years ago, however, I did my bit: I transitioned from male to female. As this also meant that the number of men in physics was simultaneously reduced by one, it was, as they say in football, a “six-pointer”.

I hasten to add that I didn’t transition in order to improve the male-female ratio among physicists; that really would have been a remarkable thing to do. However, it did mean that when my wave function collapsed into the F state, I was able to conduct some controlled social observations in my work as a teacher. I’m the same person and I’m doing the same job, but in a different gender role. After a degree, PhD and postdoctoral research I trained as a teacher in the mid-1990s. I’ve been teaching physics in secondary schools ever since, and the women-in-physics question has long played into my department’s desire to increase the uptake of students taking A-level physics. We have been very successful in attracting boys but, whatever we try, the gender ratio has never strayed much from 4:1; if only the girls would sign up in equal numbers we really would be able to justify those glistening new laboratories that currently we can only dream about.

Slow clap for their attempts to address the gender imbalance in STEM :pac:

But yeah, I do take your point that they’re a bit easier on the ears than this particular head melt -

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

ingalway wrote: »

What has this got to do with the post you quoted? honest question? the targeting of kids by adult entertainers?

Ironicname wrote: »
    Absolute word salad there.

If you can change your gender at will, then gender means absolutely **** all and should have no legal recognition.

The law should only recognise things that are measurable and definite. You can't and shouldn't legislate for things that can't be defined.

Men are men, women are women. Couldn't give a flying **** how you choose to identify. It doesn't change a damn thing.

Gender and sex are two different things: it's not that complicated.

• Advertisement

Off you go:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12608777

PS: you'll still pay whatever the insurance companies decide your premium should be based on your risk as assessed by them, regardless of what you describe yourself as.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Grand so.

So someone who identifies as a woman (his gender) should be treated like his sex.

So regardless of what gender you decide to be, you should not be allowed into spaces that are for the opposite sex from which you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There's two genders and two sexes. It's not that complicated.
    There's a million ways to identify but only two options when buying shoes for you gender.

Ironicname wrote: »
    Grand so.

So someone who identifies as a woman (his gender) should be treated like his sex.

So regardless of what gender you decide to be, you should not be allowed into spaces that are for the opposite sex from which you are.

That's a pretty good summary of what I've already argued in my previous posts on this thread, well done on catching up. :D

There's two genders and two sexes. It's not that complicated.
    There's a million ways to identify but only two options when buying shoes for you gender.

Of all the examples to pick, that has to be one of the least convincing...

Admit it, you haven't bothered to read my previous posts on this thread, have you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

JK Rowling has rowed in on the Maya Forster case, and the anime pronoun brigade are losing their sh1t.

https://twitter.com/jk_rowling/status/1207646162813100033?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Dante7 wrote: »
    JK Rowling has rowed in on the Maya Forster case, and the anime pronoun brigade are losing their sh1t.

Ooh they won't like that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Winning_Stroke

She would say that though, how many trans characters in her books? 0

:confused:

:confused:

Isn't it sad when we actually are not 100% sure that what was said wasn't a joke?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Genuine question. Are you being sarcastic?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

splinter65 wrote: »
    Genuine question. Are you being sarcastic?
    Sarcastic question, are you being genuine?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Rowling has helped create the woke culture that's now foaming at the mouth so I wont be feeling too much sympathy for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

keano_afc wrote: »
    Rowling has helped create the woke culture that's now foaming at the mouth so I wont be feeling too much sympathy for her.

its Glinner mk II

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

JK Rowling has rowed in on the Maya Forster case,

Judge rules against researcher who lost job over transgender tweets
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/dec/18/judge-rules-against-charity-worker-who-lost-job-over-transgender-tweets

A researcher who lost her job at a thinktank after tweeting that transgender women cannot change their biological sex has lost a test case because her opinions were deemed to be “absolutist”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Woke today cancelled tomorrow

Fun to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

She'll back down, I think. Hasn't the intestinal fortitude for the barrage of opprobrium that's coming her way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Judge rules against researcher who lost job over transgender tweets
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/dec/18/judge-rules-against-charity-worker-who-lost-job-over-transgender-tweets

A researcher who lost her job at a thinktank after tweeting that transgender women cannot change their biological sex has lost a test case because her opinions were deemed to be “absolutist”

Thats not good.
    People cannot change their biological sex. That is a fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

She'll back down, I think. Hasn't the intestinal fortitude for the barrage of opprobrium that's coming her way.

No, I reckon she won’t. She has a huge amount of fans who will defend her to the hilt. I hope she doesn’t cave.

• Advertisement

Gynoid wrote: »
    Thats not good.
    People cannot change their biological sex. That is a fact.

bigot

Advertisement