Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Poor Greeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

KevRossi wrote: »
    The public image of the EU in EU countries, before and after BREXIT. The approval rating only went down in one country....

:confused: Has Brexit happened :confused:

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Croatia, sentiment dropped from +18 to +13

• Registered Users Posts: 13,511 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

c2563eddefdd444bead93ff57f4d29f7.png

On a special occasion in Iceland a few months ago, I had the 'Rotten Shark' (Hákarl) as part of the festivities. It really was the worst thing I've ever tasted, by quite a long stretch. It was served cut into little cubes on cocktail sticks, accompanied by a shot of local schnapps. The schnapps do little to neutralise the taste of rubberised ammonia though. I had 3 cubes of Hakarl, enough to make sure I'll never need to sate that curiousity again.

Ireland's 'Blood Pudding' is strawberry ice-cream in comparison.

Also, surely there are worse culinary horrors related to Scotland than 'Deep Fried Pizza'. I'd ate the fúck out of one of them.

• Advertisement

Did I dream another food map here in the small hours or was it deleted?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Map showing the distance you can see from Everest in each direction

Link to a Google Map of the area is here

F8SqEj9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Stewball

I'd love a feed of currywurst right about now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Stewball wrote: »
    I'd love a feed of currywurst right about now.
    This is always my main food-truck idea when daydreaming at work, no idea why its not a thing over here, you could shift them by the palletload anywhere busy, Irish punters would be instantly addicted.

Did I dream another food map here in the small hours or was it deleted?

There was a map of 'culinary horrors', and it has since been deleted. My above post looks a bit lonely there now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Where can you get a decent Gyros in Dublin? I need one..... now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Rub a Dub

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Where can you get a decent Gyros in Dublin? I need one..... now.
    Yeeros. ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

The public image of the EU in EU countries, before and after BREXIT. The approval rating only went down in one country.

lJaRp62.png

No doubt all pork pies by the EU spooks. You have to laugh ffs. Pure propaganda.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

Deja Boo wrote: »

Ireland is the only one which has produced a native dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Fantastic thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Realtai

Love this thread!!! Keep it going lads

Poor Eriu.

Russia is missing off that map, it means "Land of the Redheads".

Here's an explanation...
    Kievan Rus was founded by Vikings with red hair (Rurik Prince of Novgorod - Gorod means fortification or courtyard in Swedish), and the name Rus is the same as Finnish people use for Sweden - Ruotsi.

Rus is also a Slavic word for red hair. Kievan Rus stretched form the Baltic Sea to the Black Sea, and since the middle ages you separate Red Rus (Southern Poland and Ukraine) from Bela Rus or White Rus, which is the area closer to the Baltic Sea (Baltas meaning white in Lithuanian and Bela is white in Russian).

Then red and white were also used in the civil wars after the Russian Revolution for revolutionaries and counter-revolutionaries in Russia and Finland. And since the revolution Russia was red meaning communist, and Stalin has been called The Red Tsar. Although red has always been a Tsarist royal colour, from when Moscow took over from Kievan Rus.

And the Red Square (Krasnyy Kvadrat) has had its name since 1660, because of the colour of the bricks surrounding the crowned Tsar´s palace (the most noble, rich and beautiful colour and material).

Rurik means King or Hero, and Russia comes from Greek for the people of Rus, when the Tsars wanted to portray themselves as the rightful successors of Greek speaking Byzantine East Rome in the 15th-16th century.

And here's a map!

01.jpeg

• Advertisement

627-700x501.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

627-700x501.jpg

It's the tourists that are doing all the googling.

Russia is missing off that map, it means "Land of the Redheads".

Here's an explanation...

And here's a map!

01.jpeg

Or not.
    https://www.etymonline.com/word/russia

Why the map?

Ipso wrote: »
    Why the map?

the concentration of redheads (rus)

seems to be a few around Bydgoszc, Poland, and a large concentration around Perm, Russia....

here's another map I found.
    This "Redhead Map of Europe" appears in Jacky Colliss Harvey's book "Red." She writes, "There is a good deal of controversy over the accuracy of such maps, as there is indeed over so many issues associated with red hair, but what it shows very clearly is the hotspot in Russia of the Udmurt population on the River Volga and the increasing frequency of red hair the farther north and west you go, whether in Scandinavia, Iceland, the British Isles, or Ireland.

0715_redhead-map.jpg

here's another map I found.

0715_redhead-map.jpg

I wouldn’t read too much into the distribution of red hair for some kind of link between populations. It’s really a variation of brown anyway and there are six or eight genes that contribute to it, so it could arose independently in different areas.

A satellite photo instead of a map of Berlin. You can still clearly see the divide between east and west by the colour of the lamps. East Germany used sodium vapour lamps which give off a yellow colour, West Germany used flourescent lamps which give off a whiter colour.

You can also see the white blobs of light in the 'west' which signify places with higher commercial activity. One exception in the east is Alexanderplatz which has become a commercial/transport/cultural hub.

alexanderplatz.jpg?itok=nLEn5zzv

mxvHhX0.png

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Median ages by continent - there is more information about it here.

median-age-regions-share.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

We should make Langos here, bates a breakfast roll into a cocked hat :(

Advertisement