Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Nicht verstehen. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Bulldust!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Nicht verstehen. :confused:
    "A continent is growing together"
    Swearwords from various languages. I guess it's the very tongue-in-cheek end of euro-scepticism.

Oh, and near as I can make it out, the Greek one transliterates as skata, so I guess it's a cognate with "scat".

Finnish one means sh1t, so does merde AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I find that Italians will almost always use "Cazzo!" or "Cacchio" instead. I've never actually heard one use "merda".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Mullinabreena

I find that Italians will almost always use "Cazzo!" or "Cacchio" instead. I've never actually heard one use "merda".
    It depends where in the country the Italian is from because of the different dialects. Someone from Napoli may struggle to understand someone from Genoa. So naturally different insults. You'll see at football matches the ultras on the curvas will have banners or scarves with Roma merda etc but the most common insult chant on the curva would be Roma Roma vaffanculo!!! Which means Roma Roma f**k off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Interesting that the Romanian word for sh1t is 'cacat'. Obviously derived from cac which is sh1t as Gaeilge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Interesting that the Romanian word for sh1t is 'cacat'. Obviously derived from cac which is sh1t as Gaeilge.

German's use 'kacke' for shlt, as well as scheisse.

Scheisse is more a swear word these days and kacke more used for 'having a crap', but they are interchangeable.

French use 'caca' as we would use 'poo' (or 'poop' of you're from D4).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

The Latin word is caco, probably the origin of the Celtic and Romance words share a similar latrine.
    https://www.wordsense.eu/cac/

KevRossi wrote: »
    German's use 'kacke' for ****, as well as scheisse.

Scheisse is more a swear word these days and kacke more used for 'having a ****', but they are interchangeable.

French use 'caca' as we would use 'poo' (or 'poop' of you're from D4).

Amazing how influential and widespread Gaeilge became over the millennia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Fake Scores

Some linguists would link those toa proto-indoeuropean root word kaka/kakka - to defecate. Celtic and romance language branches.

The Latin word is caco, probably the origin of the Celtic and Romance words share a similar latrine.
    https://www.wordsense.eu/cac/

Apparently cac comes from Old Irish - caccaid which means 'excretes'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not a map, but an interesting infographic.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/what-the-world-eats/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

mikhail wrote: »
    "A continent is growing together"
    Swearwords from various languages. I guess it's the very tongue-in-cheek end of euro-scepticism.

Oh, and near as I can make it out, the Greek one transliterates as skata, so I guess it's a cognate with "scat".

I guessed they were mostly words for sh1t, except the English language ones. I mean, who uses feck? :confused:

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I guessed they were mostly words for sh1t, except the English language ones. I mean, who uses feck? :confused:

Father Jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

It depends where in the country the Italian is from because of the different dialects. Someone from Napoli may struggle to understand someone from Genoa. So naturally different insults. You'll see at football matches the ultras on the curvas will have banners or scarves with Roma merda etc but the most common insult chant on the curva would be Roma Roma vaffanculo!!! Which means Roma Roma f**k off.

What I'm talking about is in cases where we"d use "****! or "FFS!" as an expletive, the way Father Jack would use "Feck!". Yes, merda is of course used, but not so much in that scenario.

Vaffanculo is used to tell someone to f off, not really as an expletive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

I thought Poutain was more common in France ?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

Putain is considered stronger than merde, combining them is putain de merde, which is saved for the worst case scenarios :D

The kid friendly versions of these you often hear are puree (=mashed potatoes) or mercedi (=wedensday).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect there are a few ifs, buts and maybes here:

https://twitter.com/TheBigDataStats/status/1388975303691628547

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

It also runs pretty much straight down the middle of this 7 a side pitch, which brings a whole new meaning to the term "intercounty match".

About two thirds of Pairc Esler, the Down GAA HQ, is in county Armagh. This arose because the river was straightened and some land reclaimed in the 18th century and the stadium is built on this reclaimed land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,425 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

all that map shows is that the french are massive liars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Territory held by Germany at end of the war when they surrendered in 1945.

main-qimg-d96110c2198ce6e57b2125561b63d763

In what way was Finland "held" by Germany?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I'm guessing the map is showing all areas that were at one time or another Axis-controlled during WW2. Finland allied with Germany to fight the Soviets until 1944.

Southern Italy & Sicily are portrayed in similar manner, despite never having been held by the Germans.

The Greeks living off past glories. Plato, Socrates etc... Almost as bad as us claiming credit for Fionn Mac Cumhaill building the Giant's causeway. Almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapland_War

Fair number of them up there, even after Finland removed their support.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapland_War

Fair number of them up there, even after Finland removed their support.
    the map legend says "Besetzte" which means occupied. In no way did germany occupy Finland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

the map legend says "Besetzte" which means occupied. In no way did germany occupy Finland.

800px-The_German_withdrawal_from_Finland.jpg

They were in Northern Finland. Finland declared war on Germany. Those 200,000 troops had to be somewhere in Finland, ergo they were occupying it.

In any case the map just seems to be "Axis-controlled" areas at some point, as the Germans never controlled Southern Italy for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Reminds me of one of my favourite quiz questions when I was younger:

What's the first country you hit of you travel due south from Detroit?

Yes, or if you're going from the Atlantic to the Pacific through the Panama canal, are you travelling east to west or west to east?
    It's counter-intuitively west to east.

• Advertisement

800px-The_German_withdrawal_from_Finland.jpg

They were in Northern Finland. Finland declared war on Germany. Those 200,000 troops had to be somewhere in Finland, ergo they were occupying it.

In any case the map just seems to be "Axis-controlled" areas at some point, as the Germans never controlled Southern Italy for example.

I'm aware of the history thanks. There is no way that the german troops in finland could be said to be occupying the country. would you say that the 1.6m US troops in Britain duriing WW2 were occupying the country?

Advertisement