Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Mullinabreena

There’s one house in Cork, happens to be in my locality. No new house built there so I’m wondering if it’s an older problem. How is it reported does anyone know?

I found that map here, if it helps.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/mica-map-farmers-sought-to-highlight-extent-of-problem/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

Hurrache wrote: »
    Doesn't seem very accurate at all when it comes to pyrite. There's plenty around the Leinster region and yet there's just the one in Dunboyne on the map.

this appears to be a map of those houses who have been registered with the redress scheme. so loads that have not registered yet.
    in leinster a lot of houses had it in the fill as opposed to the blocks and were dealt with under a separate redress scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Possibly, quite a few in Dublin had repairs funded by a UK company equivalent to Homebond so that might explain part of it

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Might the collective term for ringforts be a murmuration?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,503 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

farmchoice wrote: »
    this appears to be a map of those houses who have been registered with the redress scheme. so loads that have not registered yet.
    in leinster a lot of houses had it in the fill as opposed to the blocks and were dealt with under a separate redress scheme.

It's not houses registered with the redress scheme. It's just a map where homeowners can add their eircode if they know, or think, their house has mica.

It's only a fraction of the real number.

This got plenty of media coverage for about a week, including a very good doc on Virgin media one tonight, but it's still not getting the coverage it needs to get.

This problem is huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

NIMAN wrote: »
    It's not houses registered with the redress scheme. It's just a map where homeowners can add their eircode if they know, or think, their house has mica.

It's only a fraction of the real number.

This got plenty of media coverage for about a week, including a very good doc on Virgin media one tonight, but it's still not getting the coverage it needs to get.

This problem is huge.

ya huge indeed. id love to know more about the ones in dunboyne and gorey. what happens if this has now ''spread'' to boom time estates build in the dublin commuter belt?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

0014cfdc-1600.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Is that read and write in English?
    East cork and Waterford is surprising if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Is that read and write in English?
    East cork and Waterford is surprising if so.

It's probably drawing on the census question, which doesn't specify as far as I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

0014cfdc-1600.jpg

In 1840, 58% of adults in England could read and write.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In 1840, 58% of adults in England could read and write.
    The British government felt that its Irish citizens weren't worthy of an education which led to the likes of hedge schools.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hedge_school

The British government felt that its Irish citizens weren't worthy of an education which led to the likes of hedge schools.

And they were actually very good schools considering. Latin and Greek being common subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

And they were actually very good schools considering. Latin and Greek being common subjects.

And they all went off and got jobs as a Latin speaking operator at a call centre in an IDA industrial estate and lived happily ever after. :D

Yurt! wrote: »
    And they all went off and got jobs as a Latin speaking operator at a call centre in an IDA industrial estate and lived happily ever after. :D

Quod erat demonstrandum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

I think public education was still something they were figuring out; see, e.g., the 1870 Education Act. We were behind the curve, sure. No doubt there was some degree of bigotry too, but it wouldn't shock me if Scotland and Wales were similarly illiterate at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Actually we were ahead of the curve. The national school system was established in Ireland in 1831, long before any similar system in England. Ireland had the first state system of elementary education in the English speaking world.

The system was established by the "Stanley Letter" and committed the government to bear two thirds of the cost out of public funds. Schools were intended to be non-denominational or inter denominational. Needless to say the churches eroded that aspect by a war of attrition.

After a slow but steady start, by the early 1850s there were over 5000 schools catering to over half a million children. The map above would look quite different 10 and 20 years later.

Incidentally, school books developed in Marlborough St were highly thought of and were used throughout the British colonies.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/mapviewer/index.html?layers=d6642f8a4f6d4685a24ae2dc0c73d4ac
    A ten class global land use/land cover (LULC) map for the year 2020 at 10 meter resolution.

This layer displays a global map of land use/land cover (LULC). The map is derived from ESA Sentinel-2 imagery at 10m resolution. It is a composite of LULC predictions for 10 classes throughout the year in order to generate a representative snapshot of 2020.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It's amazing how "red" the Netherlands is. Packed full of people.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Got a book by Simon Winchester called Atlantic

Really Good

http://www.simonwinchester.com/atlantic
    .....with his epic new book, a "biography" of the Atlantic Ocean, from its origins 370 million years ago through the population of its shores by humanity and their interactions with it. He sees the Atlantic as the vital ingredient in the blooming of Western civilization. He scrutinizes the early explorations from the Vikings and Norsemen through Columbus, detailing the perils of the open sea. With his excellent research and engrossing anecdotes about the ocean as "a living thing," Winchester spotlights its inspiration on poets, painters, and writers in its majestic beauty.

I read another book of his "Exactly" about engineering and precision - also a great read...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Krakatoa is also an excellent read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

0014cfdc-1600.jp]

The English/ Irish thing has to be a factor as the levels are very low in areas that would have been still predominantly Irish speaking. Do you have any more details ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Krakatoa is also an excellent read.

and The Map that Changed the World

meanwhile

12307.gif.webp?v=1603179002

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

and The Map that Changed the World

meanwhile

12307.gif.webp?v=1603179002

That's a very wonky looking Ireland, no wonder there are so many Armada wrecks off the west coast if it wasn't mapped correctly!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

retalivity wrote: »
    That's a very wonky looking Ireland, no wonder there are so many Armada wrecks off the west coast if it wasn't mapped correctly!

"We are about to hit land sir". "keep going straight Pablo, the map says this is all water"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a mate of my dad was a member of the derry sub aqua club and helped excavate a spanish galleon sunk off bloody foreland, in the 70s
    (the excavation was in the 70s, not the sinking of the galleon).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

there's a myth in my family that a great(ggg) grandmother had a fling with an Armada survivor - loads of my female cousins, and even my sister, are all very dark skinned and jet black hair.

My sister and dad have been approached while on holidays in Spain, by other holidaymakers speaking in broken spanish and loud english to them looking for directions.

the family name is from the west of Ireland

there's a myth in my family that a great(ggg) grandmother had a fling with an Armada survivor - loads of my female cousins, and even my sister, are all very dark skinned and jet black hair.

My sister and dad have been approached while on holidays in Spain, by other holidaymakers speaking in broken spanish and loud english to them looking for directions.

the family name is from the west of Ireland

Same myth in my family, my Grandmother is from Whiddy Island in Bantry Bay.

I did a DNA test last year though, which has pretty much put the idea to bed. I think the dark skin is more to do with the migration of people from Northern Iberia to Ireland mixing with the residents.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,893 ✭✭✭✭josip

Brian? wrote: »
    Same myth in my family, my Grandmother is from Whiddy Island in Bantry Bay.

I did a DNA test last year though, which has pretty much put the idea to bed. I think the dark skin is more to do with the migration of people from Northern Iberia to Ireland mixing with the residents.

But wouldn't Northern Iberian migration show up similarly to a wrecked Spanish sailor in a DNA profile?

josip wrote: »
    But wouldn't Northern Iberian migration show up similarly to a wrecked Spanish sailor in a DNA profile?

Nope, populations thousands of years apart. The people in Iberia who migrated to Ireland during the bronze age weren't that closely related to the later populations. Especially not post Spanish caliphate.

My DNA shows genetic markers common in Irish people but not common among modern Spanish people, who would be closely related to the Spanish people aboard the Armada.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Brian? wrote: »
    Nope, populations thousands of years apart. The people in Iberia who migrated to Ireland during the bronze age weren't that closely related to the later populations. Especially not post Spanish caliphate.

My DNA shows genetic markers common in Irish people but not common among modern Spanish people, who would be closely related to the Spanish people aboard the Armada.

The Irish genetic make up is closest to Britain, the link to Iberia was from the early days of testing and was due to the Y lineage R1b being found in high levels in the Basque region and the assumption being made that it originated there due to that high frequency. Recent testing on ancient remains in Europe indicate that R1b arrived in both Iberia from Eastern Europe (arriving there somewhere North of the Black Sea) and was spread during the mid to late Bronze Age with the archaeological feature know as the Bell Beakers.
    I think the Armada story has more to do with Spain being a Catholic Empire fighting against the British Protestant Empire, it makes Irish people seem less linked to British.

Advertisement