Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The Irish genetic make up is closest to Britain, the link to Iberia was from the early days of testing and was due to the Y lineage R1b being found in high levels in the Basque region and the assumption being made that it originated there due to that high frequency. Recent testing on ancient remains in Europe indicate that R1b arrived in both Iberia from Eastern Europe (arriving there somewhere North of the Black Sea) and was spread during the mid to late Bronze Age with the archaeological feature know as the Bell Beakers.
    I think the Armada story has more to do with Spain being a Catholic Empire fighting against the British Protestant Empire, it makes Irish people seem less linked to British.

Well Scotland, Wales, Cumbria and Cornwall surely? "British" genetic heritage is a hodge podge compared to Ireland. The aforementioned areas being more homogenous, like Ireland.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Brian? wrote: »
    Well Scotland, Wales, Cumbria and Cornwall surely? "British" genetic heritage is a hodge podge compared to Ireland. The aforementioned areas being more homogenous, like Ireland.

Yes, closer to Wester Britain. Easter England trends a bit more closer to Scandanavia/Germanic Europe. In general North Europe and South Europe group together. In general European populations are made up of three groups, just different amounts at different times: post ice age inhabitants, farmers from the Middle East and the Bell Beaker group associated with the spread of the Indo European languages. Finland seems to be the odd one out.
    I used to be into this a few years ago, there was a good blog with posts that cover this but I can't find them now. This was also covered in the history forum.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Yes, closer to Wester Britain. Easter England trends a bit more closer to Scandanavia/Germanic Europe. In general North Europe and South Europe group together. In general European populations are made up of three groups, just different amounts at different times: post ice age inhabitants, farmers from the Middle East and the Bell Beaker group associated with the spread of the Indo European languages. Finland seems to be the odd one out.
    I used to be into this a few years ago, there was a good blog with posts that cover this but I can't find them now. This was also covered in the history forum.

It's all about the granularity of how deeply you look in fairness. How distinct the populations are is pretty subjective. We aren't that distantly related to Germans, but we aren't as closely related as we are to the Cornish or Scots.

I only learned about the Bell Beaker people after my DNA testing, it's extremely interesting.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

there's a myth in my family that a great(ggg) grandmother had a fling with an Armada survivor - loads of my female cousins, and even my sister, are all very dark skinned and jet black hair.

My sister and dad have been approached while on holidays in Spain, by other holidaymakers speaking in broken spanish and loud english to them looking for directions.

the family name is from the west of Ireland
    Brian? wrote: »
    Same myth in my family, my Grandmother is from Whiddy Island in Bantry Bay.

I did a DNA test last year though, which has pretty much put the idea to bed. I think the dark skin is more to do with the migration of people from Northern Iberia to Ireland mixing with the residents.
    I'm reminded ot the Only Fools & Horses episode Strangers on the Shore in which it transpires that "during the war" Uncle Albert had been a bit of a lothario in a French village called St. Claire a la Chappelle.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0666571/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

and The Map that Changed the World

meanwhile

12307.gif.webp?v=1603179002

A bit off topic, but this book was great. It’s about the Armada sent that resulted in the battle of Kinsale.

https://obrien.ie/hell-or-some-worse-place-kinsale-1601

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

A bit off topic, but this book was great. It’s about the Armada sent that resulted in the battle of Kinsale.

https://obrien.ie/hell-or-some-worse-place-kinsale-1601

Have seen it discussed on Boards recently that it would make a great series/film.

Apparently the English were on the verge of starvation and disease ridden after siege during a very harsh winter after and if O'Neill held back instead of attacking them he probably would have won. So near and yet so far.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

v7aIT4t.jpg

N59EZlz.jpg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

v7aIT4t.jpg

N59EZlz.jpg

And gerrymandering for all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭chooseusername

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I read this part and then stopped. I think the article was written by their showbiz reporter

On September 17, 1940, Hitler was forced to scrap plans to invade Ireland - called Operation Sealion - because of the Luftwaffe's failure to gain air supremacy over England during the Battle of Britain

I read further and it gets worse

Expert Richard Westwood Brookes said the document shows how the Irish were wrong to believe they were safe from invasion after accommodating the Nazis during the war

It made military sense for the Germans to invade Ireland as it was a perfect location to set up for an invasion of England

Because invading britain from ireland is so much easier than invading across the much short channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Who knew that the Appalachain mountains stretched to Ireland and the UK?

https://twitter.com/AlexPetrovnia/status/1415668133025701889?s=19

Nice thread

• Registered Users Posts: 13,893 ✭✭✭✭josip

Post edited by josip on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

Operation Green was the German Invasion Plan for Ireland. It was developed in a good bit of detail and the idea was to set up a beachhead across south-east Leinster. How serious it was or not is another story, and may have been "leaked" as a diversionary tactic against the British forces, similar to what the allies did before the Normandy invasions. Roberts Fisk's book "In Time of War: Ireland, Ulster, and the Price of Neutrality, 1939-45" describes it in detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Would they have stormed Curracloe Beach, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Indeed, Operation Sealion was the plan for Britain, not Ireland, very poor reporting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭chooseusername

The plan to invade Ireland was part of the greater 'operation sea lion' , so when sea lion was abandoned 'operation green' didn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

The Battle of Waterloo - starting positions.

Blue: French

Red: British

Green: Hanoverian/Brunswick/Nassau

Orange: Dutch/Belgian

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Map of the ancient Roman world from their perspective - 43AD

The Pacific is bigger than all the land in the world combined.

All the major highways and roads of Canada.

This is what the surface of Mars would look like if, like Earth, 71% of its surface area was covered with water.

• Advertisement

Advertisement