Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,782 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I absolutely HATE working from home. I find myself much more tired and stressed when working from home than when I’m in the office.

This week, I’ve worked from home all week for various reasons. And I’m not sleeping properly, more stressed ratty and irritable. Wrecked tired but waking at 3 am and not able to get back to sleep. I hate it. Would much rather be in the office.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Different strokes. I absolutely loved it and it was a godsend to me. I wasn't talking about making it mandatory, but some countries don't even give people the option.

Post edited by New Home on

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

As for the mental health aspect, I always found it interesting that people tell introverts to step out of their comfort zone, but as soon as extroverts are asked to do the same, the mental health card is played.

Anyway, back to the map - different countries have different rules and labour laws, so we're really comparing apples and oranges.

Post edited by New Home on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

From a mental health point of view, sitting in traffic for hours every day can't be good for you either (says yer man with a 7 minute cycle to work). And the more northerly countries would be more likely to have worse driving conditions on their commute. I still prefer going to the office, though.

And for the sake of having a map, here's a work-related one, although not very up to date.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Thoms Directory map of Dublin city, 1890

Dublin was a much smaller city of 375,000 at the time, most of whom lived in poverty in squalid slum conditions in the Georgian tenements and back lanes.

The wealthy were moving out of the city, across the canal ring into the then new suburbs of Ballsbridge, Rathmines and Rathgar to escape the squalour and crime of the city. The built up area of Dublin extended out as far as Terenure by 1890.

Note the separate townships for Drumcondra, Clontarf, Pembroke, Kilmainham and Rathmines - all of which were incorporated into Dublin city borough in 1930.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

@JupiterKid "Note the separate townships for Drumcondra, Clontarf, Pembroke, Kilmainham and Rathmines - all of which were incorporated into Dublin city borough in 1930." - Drumcondra, Clontarf and Kilmainham failed early on and were incorporated into the city. Only Pembroke and Rathmines lasted until 1930. Meanwhile, Blackrock, Kingstown, Dalkey and Killiney were merged into Dun Laoghaire Borough.

0_o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Mullinabreena

I'm not sure how accurate this map from Energia is having Co. Sligo as the 6th highest in the amount of sunlight

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Hey2.Hey2

Just shining a light on the fact the data point is in Leitrim, not Sligo - and, as we all know, sunlight respects borders so Sligo is in the shade once again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

1 or 2 days a week max for me. But everyone is different.

My biggest problem working from home is taking breaks

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

You need to get yourself a pet. They'll make you take breaks whether you like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

think the claim that it contains more water than all the lakes, canals, reservoirs and rivers in all of uk is a total exaggeration / false. Lakes and canals maybe but not all rivers also….!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Adding the rivers to the mix probably won't change the calculation that much, unless the situation at a global level is a lot different to the one of the UK; the following is a global stat:

The total volume of water in rivers is estimated at 2,120 km3 (510 cu mi), or 0.49% of the surface fresh water on Earth.[

I.e., globally, you'd barely change the total calculation by excluding rivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Rivers hold very little water, negligible amounts in the grand scheme.
    Most of the worlds lake are very shallow which means the ones with depth hold a disproportionately large volume by surface area.
    Loch Ness is quite deep in terms of UK lakes, it also has a relatively large surface area, so volumes are much larger than they appear on a simple map.
    An extreme example is Lake Baikal, it’s the 6th largest lake by surface area but it holds 20-25% of the worlds unfrozen freshwater. More than all the Great Lakes combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Depends on the location in Sligo too

North of Sligo town would get more sunshine than eg Tubbercurry

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,422 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i did a quick calculation there - if you emptied loch ness and refilled it with the shannon; assuming no outflow, it'd take the shannon about 14 months to refill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Mullinabreena

Yeah there are a lot of geological factors that impact on sunshine. Coastal areas get more than places close to mountains. You can see the Ox Mountains get the least sunshine in Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,941 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

And Lake Baikal is still getting wider and deeper . It’s on an active rift which is getting deeper by about an inch per year

I have a dog I walked at lunchtime. But because I don’t always work from home he goes with a walker 2 days a week. So those days I sit in front of the laptop for 9 hours

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

These from Patrick Abercrombie (1922), Dublin of the Future. It was a plan to redesign Dublin to both cope with anticipated expansion and to make it more reflective of the ideals of the newly independent state. It won a competition towards that end, and the whole plan is one of the most remarkable books in Irish architectural and planning history.

The most obvious change he purposes here is to move the center of the city to Capel Street, and the idea was that this would be transformed into a very wide boulevard with large monumental buildings at either end, with the city's tram system radiating outwards from there. He also proposed new developments at Crumlin and Marino, and the creation of a radial traffic system with a serious of large spokes emanating from the center of the city outwards.

It's a really amazing book. It's heavily influenced by the transformation of Paris by Haussmann in the 19th century. While the Wide Streets Commission in Dublin had carried out some limited improvements to the city, the general idea of a more general recreation of the streetscape along rational lines with widened boulevard and monumental buildings was very much in fashion at this time.

Abercrombies plan, though, was originally conceived BEFORE the Rising, War of Independence, and Civil War, and he made some adjustments to it in the aftermath. Most notably, he describes the destruction of the city in this period both in terms of the kind of evil that results from a lack of rational planning, and as an opportunity, where areas of the city were now a tabula rasa to create that more rational city (and also to occupy its workers in doing something positive).

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

So the days you can't walk the dog, because I assume you are not at home (and thus in the office?), are the days you stay at the computer for 9 hours. So WFH is not the problem?

maybe I wrote it wrong.

If I work at the office I wander around on off for the day. Coffee machine, canteen etc.

If I work from home and don’t have to walk the dog. I eat lunch etc in front of the laptop. No moving between meeting rooms

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭PommieBast

For me fully remote is just too close to the trauma of being cooped up in an undersized central Dublin apartment during Covid. Made worse because my then-job required a lot more than just a workstation. My usual place of work has to be somewhere I don't live.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Abercrombie was a fan of Green Belts. One of his ideas, a linear park along the Dodder has been more or less implemented, but not to the extent that he had planned.

Map

the now defunct Great Northern Railway in 1926 . Shortsightedness on both sides to close it down to protect their ‘ countries ‘

Post edited by cj maxx on

I edited it and reposted with my android phone and the map shows on it . It’s also showing on iPhone so maybe refresh the page ?

The map is a map of the Great Northern Railway in England, extending from London to Liverpool and York. What countries (sic) are you talking about?

Better version of map.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I think this is should have been cj maxx's map, the countries being the UK and Ireland:

Advertisement