Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,293 ✭✭✭✭endacl

is that a place or a pub?

Originally the pub. But through common usage, now the area as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

These shows the time zones in Antartica.

map-of-time-zones-in-anarctica.jpg?w=800&h=760

This has most likely been posted already but seen it myself for the first time today.

www.thetruesize.com

• Registered Users Posts: 22,293 ✭✭✭✭endacl

https://dinosaurpictures.org/ancient-earth#20

Find your hometown 20/200/400 million years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Met Éireann weather maps https://www.met.ie/latest-reports/satellites/world-visible

The 'World Visible' one is interesting, as it shows that it is sunrise in Ireland, but in much of Southern Africa it is still nighttime - despite it being further east than Ireland.

A range of other maps are available from that page.

511516.jpeg
    Copyright 2020 EUMETSAT.

• Advertisement

Met Éireann weather maps https://www.met.ie/latest-reports/satellites/world-visible

The 'World Visible' one is interesting, as it shows that it is sunrise in Ireland, but in much of Southern Africa it is still nighttime - despite it being further east than Ireland.

511517.jpeg
    Copyright 2020 EUMETSAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Victor wrote: »
    Rotate the image by 23 degrees, the average tilt of the Earth's axis from its plane of orbit, and you'll see why.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Pretty sure that map is showing sunset in ireland, not sunrise, unless the sun rises in the west??

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,567 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Rotate the image by 23 degrees, the average tilt of the Earth's axis from its plane of orbit, and you'll see why.
    I rotated the image 23° and now Southern Africa is even further east!
    :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Global internet usage based on time of day.

internet-usage-of-the-world-based-on-time-of-day_2.gif?w=800&h=449

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Percentage of African ancestry in the Americas.

a2c287273d8a7262a544d29ee1d6b97b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Caricature map of Ireland c 1800.

95499772_912228012537260_6749323995067187200_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=ca434c&_nc_ohc=TiFjw3X12cEAX-Ps4MC&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=538460cd0d2cfdc4c68e6e05c651fd60&oe=5ED4F378

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

mzungu wrote: »
    Global internet usage based on time of day.

Spike just before bed for Ireland. A heavy downloader in Cork up all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Victor wrote: »

511517.jpeg
    Copyright 2020 EUMETSAT.

Presumably this is a function of the time of year, and at the equinox the equivalent longitude in South Africa would the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Boards has been terribly slow for me for days and I have suspected a DDOS attack might be in progress. Earlier today Airwire were being attacked.

As a result of looking into this, i cam across this interesting DDOS atatck map: https://www.digitalattackmap.com/#anim=1&color=0&country=ALL&list=0&time=18383&view=map

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

wmmI8Rh.png

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

if somebody could explain that chromosone map to me it would be appreciated.

If I'm correct, some of the people in that area have a chromosome group that no other humans have, suggesting they are the first branch in the human genetic tree. They are the least like other humans.

Of course, with modern movement these things then get intermingled again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

That haplogroup represents YDNA Adam (mutations that are carried on the Y chromosome and passed from father to son only), and is dated to approx 250,000 years. The next "branch" is A and is 80,000 older.
    As mentioned subsequent movements confuse things and frequency in modern populations represent sinks not sources, but given the spread and what is known in the fossil record etc it adds to the idea of an African origin for humans.
    The wiki article has a good overview and the second one gives a more interactive look at the entire YDNA tree.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Y-chromosome_DNA_haplogroup
    https://www.yfull.com/tree/

Ipso wrote: »
    That haplogroup represents YDNA Adam (mutations that are carried on the Y chromosome and passed from father to son only), and is dated to approx 250,000 years. The next "branch" is A and is 80,000 older.
    As mentioned subsequent movements confuse things and frequency in modern populations represent sinks not sources, but given the spread and what is known in the fossil record etc it adds to the idea of an African origin for humans.
    The wiki article has a good overview and the second one gives a more interactive look at the entire YDNA tree.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Y-chromosome_DNA_haplogroup
    https://www.yfull.com/tree/

I looked at the wiki page, and have signed up for a PhD level course. I understood about every third word. The next third, I understood, and the last third I thought I understood but clearly didn’t. :D

• Advertisement

I looked at the wiki page, and have signed up for a PhD level course. I understood about every third word. The next third, I understood, and the last third I thought I understood but clearly didn’t. :D

National Geographic had a good explanation but I can't find it now, the science snowballed in the last 10 years. At the start, the group that most Irish males belonged to had about five branches, now it's in the dozens (if not hundreds).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I thought the remark about cumbersome longhand nomenclature in the first section was rather amusing :)

PommieBast wrote: »
    I thought the remark about cumbersome longhand nomenclature in the first section was rather amusing :)

That bit was one of the few that I actually could make sense of!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,006 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

PommieBast wrote: »

I think that will go down as my favourite autologous statement ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

A reflexology map of the soles of the feet.

foot-reflexology.jpg

Wonderful.

So where do you rub to get rid of the covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Ipso wrote: »
    So where do you rub to get rid of the covid?

If i show you, you have to promise not to call the police

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

retalivity wrote: »
    If i show you, you have to promise not to call the police

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

3D geological map of Ireland

0?e=1591833600&v=beta&t=XeD_5GrOgM99MgDSAXaTSLURCsi_7urXecHlh1eFC7c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,376 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

What year is that 3d map of Ireland from ?
    Beautiful map!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Advertisement