Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Cool map. And Ireland as part of the UK until 1922 provided Generals and soldiers just Like Scotland, England and Wales. Ireland has invaded alot of places. Thats kinda cool

An English mate of mine says, 'The Irish don't invade countries, they infest countries.'

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Barna77 wrote: »
    Enlighten me
    You're comparing populations - saying some places are underpopulated and others have more people so more kids.

None of that is relevant when talking about the percentage of the population that are under 13.

sligojoek wrote: »
    An English mate of mine says, 'The Irish don't invade countries, they infest countries.'

This you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

cdeb wrote: »
    You're comparing populations - saying some places are underpopulated and others have more people so more kids.

None of that is relevant when talking about the percentage of the population that are under 13.

I see now I forgot to mention that population in NW Spain majority is middle aged to older bracket, mostly due to migration to major cities like Madrid or Barcelona, hence what i meant about with underpopulation and the low percentage of kids, ie pretty much corroborating the data on the map :pac:

(I need a drink now)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

The true size of Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,623 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Smiles35 wrote: »
    13% is the base. All things being equal. 2 parents, 2 kids. Averege life expectancy 70. I'm looking at Spain and Italy. Now, Spain is known as retirement central. Not Italy though. Are Italians electing to have less children?

Edit: Where does 2.4 children go on the percentage chart. My maths does not go that far. :)

Life expectancy is 81 in the EU and higher in Italy and Spain, but Italians have not had enough children for many years. The reasons behind this are subtle, Italians love children but the suggestion is that attitudes remain a bit old fashioned in terms of women with children should stay at home etc and so many women chose not to have any.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

justshane wrote: »

I once 'hitched' a ride on a semi from Perth to Melbourne. We drove down to Albany to load up with wool yarn and then drove to Melbourne to deliver it to a carpet factory. Driving almost non stop at 110 kph, with about 10 hours parked up for sleeping, it took about 3.5 days.

It's a big place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭josip

cnocbui wrote: »
    I once 'hitched' a ride on a semi from Perth to Melbourne. We drove down to Albany to load up with wool yarn and then drove to Melbourne to deliver it to a carpet factory. Driving almost non stop at 110 kph, with about 10 hours parked up for sleeping, it took about 3.5 days.

It's a big place.

It sure is. We drove around it a few years ago.
    It's just non-stop red, mangled roos and one finger salutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

justshane wrote: »

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=528253&d=1601815477
    Great map, really brings it home how big it is .

Is South Africa the correct size though in the map above ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭Ryath

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=528253&d=1601815477
    Great map, really brings it home how big it is .

Is South Africa the correct size though in the map above ?

Yes it's been posted before the Mercator projection distorts the size of Africa.
    This site is good to play around it and show it

https://thetruesize.com/#?borders=1~!MTIxMTE0NzE.MjcxOTc4Ng*MzM5NjQ1NjI(OTk1Mjg0Mw~!CONTIGUOUS_US*MTAwMjQwNzU.MjUwMjM1MTc(MTc1)MA~!IN*NTI2NDA1MQ.Nzg2MzQyMQ)MQ~!AU*MTAyOTU3MjE.NTM0OTI3Mg)Mw

true-size-africa.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

This may have been posted already, but here is a geographically-accurate map of the London transit lines:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/224813/response/560395/attach/3/London%20Connections%20Map.pdf

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Geuze wrote: »
    This may have been posted already, but here is a geographically-accurate map of the London transit lines:
    ^^^
    PDF's can't be embedded...
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/224813/response/560395/attach/3/London%20Connections%20Map.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,623 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

he 1612 chart of the “pirate harbours” of southwest Munster was drafted by English cartographer John Hunt, under the orders of Hessel Gerritzsoon, who was commissioned by the States-General in Holland. © SUB GÖTTINGEN 4 H BRIT P III, 6 RARA UNIVERSITÄT BIBLIOTHEK GÖTTINGEN Library Archives, GERMANY
    see https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/secret-irish-pirate-republic

image.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Map of the reach of human made radio signals

square-1503605434-20130115-radio-broadcasts-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭josip

Not actually a map, but a nice illustration all the same

iamstop wrote: »
    Map of the reach of human made radio signals

Quite erroneous. Visually pretty, but radio waves would propagate spherically, so in plan view should be depicted as a circle, not a square.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Zoom in...

Zoom in...

It's still a poor illustration, none the less. A little blue dot is often used to represent the Earth. The box should have been a lot smaller and the magnified view larger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Most of the earlier radio signals where analogue, so they were indistinguishable from noise before they got a light year out.

mikhail wrote: »
    Most of the earlier radio signals where analogue, so they were indistinguishable from noise before they got a light year out.

No, quite the reverse.
    Aliens Lose in Switch to Digital TV
    That's right: extraterrestrials who might be picking up our analog broadcasts could miss out. ...

Unfortunately, the switch to digital might leave the aliens with nothing but snow on their wall-size plasmas.
    Lamentably, alien audiences may be frustrated by the switch to digital television. That's because the transmitter power for DTV is fairly evenly spread across the spectrum. The spikiness is gone, and from afar, the attention-grabbing squeals of analog television's carriers have been replaced by DTV's smooth, low hiss. The mountains peaks are no more, supplanted by hard-to-find, endless mesas. It's not impossible to pick up our DTV broadcasts from your favorite M-class planet, but I reckon it would require antennas at least five times larger than demanded for good, old analog TV. ET may balk at the additional cost.
    https://www.space.com/6864-aliens-lose-switch-digital-tv.html

• Advertisement

That's spread-spectrum stuff, not all digital transmission. And signal-to-noise ratio is crucial here. Trust me, I'm an electronic engineer.

mikhail wrote: »
    That's spread-spectrum stuff, not all digital transmission. And signal-to-noise ratio is crucial here. Trust me, I'm an electronic engineer.

What a coincidence, my wife has Phd in Electrical Engineering and teaches the subject.

That article was written by this person: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seth_Shostak Senior astronomer on the SETI program.

If you would like to critique his qualifications and competence, I'm all ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

What a coincidence, my wife has Phd in Electrical Engineering and teaches the subject.

It would be funny if mikhail was your wife!

Strava heatmap
    https://www.strava.com/heatmap#6.36/-8.33120/53.49246/hot/all

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

What Antartica Looks Like Beneath the Ice

78055824f5b54f6fab9dc37921d965a5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

And Greenland

300px-Topographic_map_of_Greenland_bedrock.jpg

MY BAD wrote: »
    It would be funny if mikhail was your wife!

Strava heatmap
    https://www.strava.com/heatmap#6.36/-8.33120/53.49246/hot/all

I think 'disturbing' would be more apt. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

MY BAD wrote: »
    Well, nobody in my estate is signed up to it, but people have passed the entrance.

There is a distinct possibility I've met her in the course of our jobs, so! This country is fecking tiny.
    That article was written by this person: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seth_Shostak Senior astronomer on the SETI program.

If you would like to critique his qualifications and competence, I'm all ears.
    No, he's not wrong. We're kind of talking about different things.

The spread spectrum digital stuff is harder to notice in the first place, which is what he's talking about.

However, if you know it's there, the digital stuff is more robust as it gets fainter and fainter with distance, which is what I'm talking about.

I think that the odds of another civilisation ever detecting any of them, digital or analogue, are effectively nil, even if one happened to be from the cosmic neighbourhood of the nearby few hundred stars and even if they had a SETI of their own. They're simply not powerful enough signals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nexytus

Population.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nexytus

Percentage of population who said they "do not believe in the one God but believe that there is some sort of spirit in nature or a life force" according to a Eurobarometer Poll in 2017 (EU with UK and Schengen only)

spirit.png

Advertisement