Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

5233_2fdb.jpeg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Fantastic, I love those 3D maps, lovely. /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ Great Stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

5233_2fdb.jpeg

What are the wo peaks to the right of Iceland?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Shedite27 wrote: »
    What are the wo peaks to the right of Iceland?

Jan Mayen

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Some interesting maps on this thread for the day that's in it

https://twitter.com/latifnasser/status/1323333293467525126?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Some interesting maps on this thread for the day that's in it

https://twitter.com/latifnasser/status/1323333293467525126?s=19

That's like the butterfly effect, only with plankton.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Cabhan Lakes ( allegedly )

OS-1in-Topo-Col-068-Cavan.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I've been looking for a map like that to post here for ages, the lakes around kileshahdra and up to upper lough erne as well, drumlin territory

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,029 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

A small selection of the lakes in Cavan. I can see my local on that map :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

From https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=115160930#post115160930

Neanderthals And Humans Were at War For Over 100,000 Years

It's still going on.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

sligojoek wrote: »
    It's still going on.
    and the missing link is hiding in plain sight. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

mikhail wrote: »
    For the curious, the wikipedia page on the Berlin-Baghdad railway does a decent job of explaining it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin–Baghdad_railway

To keep the maps coming lest the mods step in, here's Louis P. Bénézet's map of "Europe As It Should Be" (1918), depicting imagined nations based on ethnic and linguistic criteria. He basically was trying to solve the kinds of ethnic tensions he blamed as a leading cause of WWI.

Europe_as_it_should_be_map.jpg

Wales incorporating SW England is a new one to me. It also gives the Basques their independence, but not the Catalonians. The Ukranians might object too. There's a Yugoslavia of sorts, and we saw how well that turned out. The Greeks get part of the Turkish coast, which would have been quite the war!

The Greeks did actually get that war.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greco-Turkish_War_(1919%E2%80%931922)

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

You like maps?

Check this out:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/georgeiiitopographicalcollection

British Library repository of early maps and surveys.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Ireland's Territorial Waters

531854.jpg

Internal Waters include waters on the landward side of the baseline (low-water line) of a nation's territorial waters, except in archipelagic states. It includes waterways such as rivers and canals, and sometimes the water within small bays. According to the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea, the coastal nation is free to set laws, regulate any use, and use any resource. Foreign vessels have no right of passage within internal waters, and this lack of right to innocent passage is the key difference between internal waters and territorial waters.

Territorial sea, as defined by the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea, is a belt of coastal waters extending at most 12 nautical miles (22 km; 14 mi) from the baseline (usually the mean low-water mark) of a coastal state. The territorial sea is regarded as the sovereign territory of the state, although foreign ships (military and civilian) are allowed innocent passage through it, or transit passage for straits; this sovereignty also extends to the airspace over and seabed below.

The Contiguous Zone is a band of water extending farther from the outer edge of the territorial sea to up to 24 nautical miles (44.4 km; 27.6 mi) from the baseline, within which a state can exert limited control for the purpose of preventing or punishing "infringement of its customs, fiscal, immigration or sanitary laws and regulations within its territory or territorial sea".

An Exclusive Economic Zone extends from the baseline to a maximum of 200 nautical miles (370.4 km; 230.2 mi), thus it includes the contiguous zone. A coastal nation has control of all economic resources within its exclusive economic zone, including fishing, mining, oil exploration, and any pollution of those resources. However, it cannot prohibit passage or loitering above, on, or under the surface of the sea that is in compliance with the laws and regulations adopted by the coastal State in accordance with the provisions of the UN Convention, within that portion of its exclusive economic zone beyond its territorial sea.

The Continental Shelf of a coastal nation extends out to the outer edge of the continental margin but at least 200 nautical miles (370 km; 230 mi) from the baselines of the territorial sea if the continental margin does not stretch that far. Coastal states have the right of exploration and exploitation of the seabed and the natural resources that lie on or beneath it, however other states may lay cables and pipelines if they are authorised by the coastal state. A coastal nation has control of all resources on or under its continental shelf, living or not, but no control over any living organisms above the shelf that are beyond its exclusive economic zone. This gives it the right to conduct hydrocarbon exploration and drilling works.

(sources: data.gov.ie, archaeology.ie, Wikipedia, this map)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭josip

I liked this over on the US election thread

(Source)
    Nice visual here.

https://twitter.com/urbanthoughts11/status/1324271661181509632

• I usually find Twitter threads quite tedious but this one was very interesting.

https://twitter.com/latifnasser/status/1323334035066642432

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Red squirrel v grey squirrel populations in Ireland

https://twitter.com/boucherhayes/status/1324135069733277696?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You can thank the pine martens for that, most ikely, not the red guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

cnocbui wrote: »

Get on to Philip about that.

#truthmatters

Maybe they're collaborating

531975.jpg

Pine Marten map...

That map isn't close to accurate. I have seen them near where I live, only a couple hundred metres from my house and picked a dead one up off a road last year. All not on the map.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Fantastic, I love those 3D maps, lovely. /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ Great Stuff.
    Something similar...
    https://twitter.com/geography_DAF/status/1324059215414071299

• Registered Users Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Markcheese

That map isn't close to accurate. I have seen them near where I live, only a couple hundred metres from my house and picked a dead one up off a road last year. All not on the map.

Don't worry pine martens are notorious for being crap at reading maps ...
    Squirrels too ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Rival gangs of pine martens have been feuding obviously and have wiped each other out.

I know those biodiversity maps are only as good as the info inputted by the general public, but they're nowhere near accurate.

Here's the one for the house mouse:

Not only is it not accurate that they're missing from more than half the country, but it's incredulous that there'd only be 1 in every 10km square where they are seen.

119285?datasetId=

And here's the map for Steatoda nobilis, the Noble False Widow Spider. They're actually established throughout the country (I've personal experience of more than one of them in Co. Clare over the past few years).

182973?datasetId=

I think I had better draw up a tally form to be kept next to the front door and train my cats to identify and keep count of the little rodent guests they entertain. Do my bit for the census

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I think I had better draw up a tally form to be kept next to the front door and train my cats to identify and keep count of the little rodent guests they entertain. Do my bit for the census

And contact tracing.

Advertisement