Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,219 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Dutch land reclamation since the 1300s

Netherlands-reclaimed-land.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

God made the Netherlands, but the Dutch made Holland.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Mullinabreena

Are they still reclaiming land?

Are they still reclaiming land?

Yep

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marker_Wadden

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The Dutch never saw a wetlands habitat they didn't hate or want to destroy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

retalivity wrote: »
    Dutch land reclamation since the 1300s

Netherlands-reclaimed-land.gif

Sea levels rising and the Dutch are gaining land. Coincidence ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Sea levels rising and the Dutch are gaining land. Coincidence ?

they actively work to reclaim land and keep it that way. They teach that to children in school.

I always wonder with the Dutch who they get to do their Environmental Impact Assessments. It takes a thousand years to get permission to build a 200m flood wall here in case some wading birds have to move along the coast a bit but they don't seem to have that issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

I assume planning just weighs these things differently. Do it right and you make new habitats, at least in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I always wonder with the Dutch who they get to do their Environmental Impact Assessments. It takes a thousand years to get permission to build a 200m flood wall here in case some wading birds have to move along the coast a bit but they don't seem to have that issue.

I think your view of the importance of a bird's habitat would be different if you're looking at it from below sea level :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

cnocbui wrote: »
    The Dutch never saw a wetlands habitat they didn't hate or want to destroy.

Untrue. We had a holiday there and they have several wetlands that are preserved by law and are available for limited tourism. We did a boat tour there and it was excellent.

I think your view of the importance of a bird's habitat would be different if you're looking at it from below sea level :)

they suffered a devastating flooding around 1953, which, being right after WW 2, onto an impoverished country made them determined to never be lashed by floods again so they took strong measures to build new and improved defences and they constantly inspect and maintain them. You only have to get bit once...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭Water John

A Dutch Co has plans to regreen the Sanai penninsula and are in talks with the Egyptian govt. They want to pump back in there the silt that flowed off it when it desertified.
    https://www.greenthesinai.com/home

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Namer

Land Development Agency - State Owned Land https://lda.ie/state-asset-database/

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

mzungu wrote: »
    Animals of the world map.

Could use more Canada Goose. It's cool though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

210416115657-20210416-mass-shootings-us-map-exlarge-169.jpg

In the month between March 16 and April 16, 2021, at least 45 mass shootings have occurred in the United States, according to CNN reporting, and an analysis of data from the Gun Violence Archive, local media reports and police reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Can't embed, but here's a map of all the McFlurry machines in the US, showing which are currently working and which are broken
    https://mcbroken.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,916 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Can't embed, but here's a map of all the McFlurry machines in the US, showing which are currently working and which are broken

Also bizarrely shows Germany if you zoom out

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭stopthevoting

Quazzie wrote: »
    Also bizarrely shows Germany if you zoom out
    It seems that he actually started in Berlin first, and then expanded to cover the USA: https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/22/21529477/mcdonalds-mcbroken-bot-ice-cream-machines-app-engineering

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Mullinabreena

Shedite27 wrote: »
    And if anyone is interested in my so many are broken this video explains.

https://youtu.be/SrDEtSlqJC4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Untrue. We had a holiday there and they have several wetlands that are preserved by law and are available for limited tourism. We did a boat tour there and it was excellent.

Lol. In Western Australia, the south west corner used to be heavily forested, with some absolutely gobsmacking 100m high Kari trees. In order to hide from the public the environmental vandalism the government was party too, they had the forestry companies leave a tiny 100m wide reserve of un-felled trees next to all major roads in the area, so when people on holiday drove around the area, it gave the impression of magnificent and epic forests, when in reality, many hundreds, or thousands, of square kilometres of irreplaceable old growth trees had been clear felled to the last twig - in behind the fig-leaf road reserves.

Your little patches of remaining wetlands in the Netherlands, reminds me of that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

I think the Madagascar forests you see on nature documentaries are of a similar nature as well.

I don't think we're in any position to talk about felling forests. Most of the old oak forests here were used to blockade Napoleon's navy. The commercial nature of Coillte means they mostly grow non-native fast growing stock that makes money but acidifies the soil. There's been some talk of changes in that regard, but that kind of thing takes generations to fix.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Lol. In Western Australia, the south west corner used to be heavily forested, with some absolutely gobsmacking 100m high Kari trees. In order to hide from the public the environmental vandalism the government was party too, they had the forestry companies leave a tiny 100m wide reserve of un-felled trees next to all major roads in the area, so when people on holiday drove around the area, it gave the impression of magnificent and epic forests, when in reality, many hundreds, or thousands, of square kilometres of irreplaceable old growth trees had been clear felled to the last twig - in behind the fig-leaf road reserves.

Your little patches of remaining wetlands in the Netherlands, reminds me of that.

can you imagine how small Holland would be if they didnt?

Stovepipe wrote: »
    can you imagine how small Holland would be if they didnt?
    Smaller even than you think. I give you Holland, province of the Netherlands:
    800px-Holland_position.svg.png

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

mikhail wrote: »

Bizarrely the Dutch people I know refer to he whole Netherlands as Holland.

I live in North Brabant

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »

I live in North Brabant
    Yeah, it's more complicated than Holland wrong, Netherlands right. I mostly meant that as a province, it makes up a fraction of the area but a chunk of the coastline, so is probably fairly substantially reclaimed. Comparisons with the reclamation maps earlier should confirm/deny that.

Here's the Netherlands circa 1300 apparently.
    It's effectively a river delta

NL1000.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Brian? wrote: »

I live in North Brabant

Dutch football fans sing Hup Holland Hup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭LarryGraham

mikhail wrote: »

To out-pedant you, that's two provinces. North Holland and South Holland.:D

Advertisement