Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas presents for creche

Options
  • 04-12-2019 4:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

My child is in ecce doing the three hours only a day. She has 4 minders who are great. Thinking of getting them a bottle of wine each. No nice cafes nearby so can't give them a voucher for those. I'm on unpaid leave so money is tight. Would love to hear what/if others are giving to the carers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Same. What's the norm? Our little one has 2 main minders but know the others pitch in. She loves it and gets great care. Not sure, box of chocolates for the crèche and something small for 2 main minders?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I think a nice Christmas decoration is a nice small gift, or a hand cream. I personally don’t drink wine so I never give it as a gift unless I am sure the person receiving it is a wine drinker.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Teacher here. Give wine. Everything else is pointless. Wine can be regifted if it’s not wanted. Nobody wants to be carrying a bag full of thoughtful but pointless tat home to be chucked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

There's a thread on this in the Christmas forum.

One poster suggested a newbridge decoration, seemingly you can get them personalised too. I thought it was a lovely idea.

Our crèche sends home a note saying no presents, or if you want to make a donation to a charity in their name.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

One4all voucher never fails

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If its a creche its common for many of the creches to share out equally all the gifts so you don't end up with one staff member going home with 20 boxes of roses and another with only 2.
    Makes sense,

Box of sweets or something like that will dfo the job just fine, don't be wasting money on one4all vouchers

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

We give the main carers all for one vouchers. Then boxes of chocolates for the room. We have two kids. After school and crèche.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I've one child in ECCE, I got the main minder a 5 euro gift card for the local Costa. The other minders change and so I didn't get them anything. My eldest is in school and the school PTA organises a collection, I give 5 euros to that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

I usually give a joint gift for all staff, i have 3 kids attending & there's maybe 20 staff. I know they raffle off all the gifts on the afternoon they finish up because the kitchen ladies etc wouldn't be given specific gifts.
    I have given a treat basket, got a cake make & last year a local lady doing chocolates made them a giant snowman and santa. I usually stick to €40/50 price point

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I’m getting nice handcreams for the 4 women who directly mind my 2. I’m also giving a box of chocolates and a bottle of wine as a general gift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭enricoh

Seems Ott compared to other posters but we're giving e30 each to 4 minders of our 2 - so e120 in total.
    The girls are dead on, wages aren't great in the industry, I reckon they deserve a few drinks each over crimbo.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Send in some nice cake/s shortly , as the closer you get to Christmas, the more there are !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Am Giving a candle this year. There’s 5 in afterschools so one each.
    Last year gave a newbridge or Tipperary crystal Xmas decoration each last year and gave scarves another year. Usually about €10each.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Lisha wrote: »
    Am Giving a candle this year. There’s 5 in afterschools so one each.
    Last year gave a newbridge or Tipperary crystal Xmas decoration each last year and gave scarves another year. Usually about €10each.

Can’t speak for crèche staff , but teachers often get lots of candles and don’t always have use for them .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Can’t speak for crèche staff , but teachers often get lots of candles and don’t always have use for them .

It’s difficult I know. What are your favourite gifts to receive please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Melania Frump

detoxkid wrote: »
    My child is in ecce doing the three hours only a day. She has 4 minders who are great. Thinking of getting them a bottle of wine each. No nice cafes nearby so can't give them a voucher for those. I'm on unpaid leave so money is tight. Would love to hear what/if others are giving to the carers?

Thats a lovely idea and more than generous. I would decide what you have to spend and split equally between the 4. I dont believe in main carers. Guarenteed (and first hand experience) they spend equal time with your child. Also no need to give anything at all that goes without saying so any gift will be more than appreciated.

I’m easily pleased - a sincere note and a hand made card is lovely . I know people are under huge financial pressure so wouldn’t expect anything at all.

Crèche workers are poorly paid , perhaps a mug or a voucher for a coffee somewhere ?
    I love plants , but that’s me - others may not have the space / interest , but a Christmas Poinsettia might be worth considering .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Melania Frump

I received a very poigniant poem last year in a card. It was accompanied with a voucher but believe me the sentiment in that verse meant more.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Yeah I'm of the view that these girls mind my kid daily for X amount of months for not a lot of money and they really work hard... Every time he changes room I give a 50 euro one for all voucher each and if you spread that over the 6 months or whatever its a paltry amount for what they do. I'll do the same for Christmas. It seems like a big spend all at once but our creche haven't ever put up their fees and the girls really are wonderful.

If it was part time or ECCE I'd probably give 20 euro voucher instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

maxsmum wrote: »
    Yeah I'm of the view that these girls mind my kid daily for X amount of months for not a lot of money and they really work hard... Every time he changes room I give a 50 euro one for all voucher each and if you spread that over the 6 months or whatever its a paltry amount for what they do. I'll do the same for Christmas. It seems like a big spend all at once but our creche haven't ever put up their fees and the girls really are wonderful.

If it was part time or ECCE I'd probably give 20 euro voucher instead.

Exactly - if ever there was a time to be over generous it's now. These people are on low wages, tough environment and look after the most important thing in everyone's life. They spend more time with your children than you do sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭goldlocks10

School teacher and sna a nice box of chocolate each.
    The 3 teachers in the preschool a nice box of chocolate each.
    Perfect not a great lover of giving teacher wine as the child hands over the present. Thinking of a bottle of red wine over the floor.

School teacher and sna a nice box of chocolate each.
    The 3 teachers in the preschool a nice box of chocolate each.
    Perfect not a great lover of giving teacher wine as the child hands over the present. Thinking of a bottle of red wine over the floor.

That would soon add up ! People are being very generous. Again , as a primary teacher , please don’t be under pressure to give anything at all .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

For both my son's school and my daughter's preschool the parents clubbed together and got the teachers one voucher each. We gave e5 per teacher for the preschool, so it cost me e15 in total and then for the primary school an envelope was left in the secretaries office and you could donate what you wanted.

Woshy wrote: »
    For both my son's school and my daughter's preschool the parents clubbed together and got the teachers one voucher each. We gave e5 per teacher for the preschool, so it cost me e15 in total and then for the primary school an envelope was left in the secretaries office and you could donate what you wanted.

Oh no, whatever about crèche , please don’t do this at primary level ! I’d be massively against this - if a parent wants to do an individual gift , it’s one thing , but this is dreadful pressure . And apart from anything else , secretaries have enough to be doing.
    Suppose you didn’t want to give and/Mr. X something , why should you be pressured to do so . It’s well meaning , but would embarrass the life out of me .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

Oh no, whatever about crèche , please don’t do this at primary level ! I’d be massively against this - if a parent wants to do an individual gift , it’s one thing , but this is dreadful pressure . And apart from anything else , secretaries have enough to be doing.
    Suppose you didn’t want to give and/Mr. X something , why should you be pressured to do so . It’s well meaning , but would embarrass the life out of me .

It's the done thing in the school - every class has an envelope left with the secretary who is happy to do it. They've done it that way for years. If you don't want to give anything you just don't go in and put money in the envelope. Nobody would know otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Was just talking about this, and the thing about people saying please no gifts and others just not accepting that..

Do ye really have to give the schools and creches a gift? Not being mean but it kinda sounds like people do this to make them feel better not to give thanks, if they say no they say no. The idea of maybe a nice homemade card just sounds loverly, having a poem in it would be epic but a card just to say thank you covers a lot..

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Milly33 wrote: »
    Was just talking about this, and the thing about people saying please no gifts and others just not accepting that..

Do ye really have to give the schools and creches a gift? Not being mean but it kinda sounds like people do this to make them feel better not to give thanks, if they say no they say no. The idea of maybe a nice homemade card just sounds loverly, having a poem in it would be epic but a card just to say thank you covers a lot..

Whatever about teachers, most workers in Creche’s barely make minimum wage I would say they absolutely deserve it and probably count on it for their own Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Hoodie88

We received a text message from the Creche to say that they have a no gift / present policy... Do all creches send this message out or just each to their own?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,135 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

There is no need to feel pressure . Our grandkids class do this . One mum collects envelopes with €5 from whoever wants to be part of it . The teacher then gets a 0ne 4 all voucher . Its so much better than trying the think of a present and the teacher getting multiple candles etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Hoodie88 wrote: »
    We received a text message from the Creche to say that they have a no gift / present policy... Do all creches send this message out or just each to their own?

Think each to their own. My previous crèche I gave presents to the minders. (50 euro boots vouchers X2 and a 25euro for the minder that looked after the 17:00-18:00 time slot)

We moved house and I'm on extended extended maternity :) so new crèche, we're only doing the ecce scheme but they have huge signs up stating no presents. They have chosen a child's charity and said they'd collect donations in lieu of presents if you wish :)

Advertisement